Over The Air (OTA) Software Update D.1.1.2

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 03:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by oblio98
Well, after living with the failed update because I could not get to the dealer due to work hours, this morning I got the (!) again. I pulled over and let it fly. This time it worked. Got the D.1.1.2 and the (+) (-) on the Nav, and everything seemed to be working other than my HotSpot. However, just like Stew, I fired up the USB, let it play a few tunes and sure enough I got the "Emergency Broadcast System Screech" ending playback of the current song, then the start of the next song. Oh well...

As for the HotSpot - I keep gettng the message "The Server is Unavailable". I am not sure if this happened because I reset the whole thing back to factory default when the update failed, or it the broke because of the update.

So, still no HotSpot, but at least everything else is working.
I'm glad you got the update. They did fix a few bugs with the system I was having.. the music resumes from the last stopped position on the USB, at least so far it does. It will still get hung up while initializing. The wonderful "Screech" is so damn intermittent that I can't duplicate it.. just a random thing. I hope they can fix it!

Old 02-20-2019, 03:26 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Playing music from a USB drive still not working correctly. A few songs will play then the system will lockup on a song and just keep repeating it ad nauseum. Have to pull the USB drive and load it again where it still plays the repeating song. After switching to radio for a few trips the USB will start to play a few songs the get stuck. Really sucks.

When using the voice system I have had zero success with asking it to navigate to any location that I ask for. Always comes back with "can't find that address" and try saying this or that. If I type in the same name or address it finds it with no problem. Never had a problem with this until last weeks update. Since you can't key in an address will driving this also really sucks.

When playing an SM station and restarting the car I get a spinning wheel that never goes away and I can't access any audio controls like changing the volume or the station. I have to restart the car and it might not get stuck and work properly. Pretty hit or miss solution.

I had zero problems with the system with the original software and now each update has created problems that did not exist. Pretty frustrating.

I had the car serviced today and the service manager said its his understanding that a 3rd update will be coming out by mid March. Hope its better than the last 2.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:19 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I used my nav yesterday for the first time since the update. Disaster. I downloaded my destination and hit start and then the screen went crazy—zooming in and out and juddering for a minute or so; then no route info at all, but voice prompts were OK and it was following the route. Flash ahead 5 minutes and all was normal. Arrived safe and sound. Looks like Acura needs to address a few more “rare” bugs. Right.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:35 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 2019RDX
I used my nav yesterday for the first time since the update. Disaster. I downloaded my destination and hit start and then the screen went crazy—zooming in and out and juddering for a minute or so; then no route info at all, but voice prompts were OK and it was following the route. Flash ahead 5 minutes and all was normal. Arrived safe and sound. Looks like Acura needs to address a few more “rare” bugs. Right.
When did the RDX go on sale? I think it was May or June of 2018 - nine months after release and they're still having these issues? I'm not hopeful 2020 will be significantly better.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:20 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Since I updated I have not had a single issue. I have used the built-in nav frequently, but have not had the need to use carplay. As always, as a car to drive, it has been great.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:09 PM
-- Instructor --

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Since I updated I have not had a single issue. I have used the built-in nav frequently, but have not had the need to use carplay. As always, as a car to drive, it has been great.
+1. Have just over 4700 miles so far, since the update all good. Waiting for android auto.

Regards ---------------------
Old 02-22-2019, 02:15 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Post update day 2:

Sirius XM takes 30 seconds to initiate. Radi plays station, volume controls work, but you cannot access stations or home screen. Happens if on XM at start up, or starting from another source and moving to XM. First time XM starts up on the car, it always takes 30 secs to initialize.

Worked perfectly before.

I have found that with Android and iOS in the past, that updating from a restored platform, and then add/restore settings usually helps to sort out any bugs.

Going to "reset to factory" when I get home to see if that clarifies the boot up.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:05 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
We are now having major problems switching between XM - USB - AM/FM radio. What shows up on the screen is very inconsistent. It can be playing AM or USB and when XM is selected, the XM station will show up on the screen but it continues to play AM/USB. Other times the uploading turning circle will appear and won't go away, even though XM actually may be playing. My wife is not happy since she is taking off on a road trip in a few minutes. I did a search for a description of the three-finger reboot but couldn't find it. Could someone repeat it here?

Last edited by B25Nut; 02-22-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:39 PM
Suzuka Master

So, just for testing purposes, I tested the nav system.
From the Acuralink app, I sent my RDX the destination address to my house (from work).
I got in the vehicle started it up and then the nav screen came up and asked me if I wanted to go to the route I had sent it I clicked yes and it worked flawlessly.. no blinking, no hiccups at all

*shrug*
Old 02-22-2019, 06:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
So, just for testing purposes, I tested the nav system.
From the Acuralink app, I sent my RDX the destination address to my house (from work).
I got in the vehicle started it up and then the nav screen came up and asked me if I wanted to go to the route I had sent it I clicked yes and it worked flawlessly.. no blinking, no hiccups at all

*shrug*
My AcuraLink has also works as you described. Navigation at start up with message, and prompted through the route selection. HUD worked well for me. Rerouting went smooth when I went off GPS route.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Time to for me Ramble On,

My biggest complaint is still the USB interface, I can't say I have much of an issue with anything else on the vehicle.

Since the update, the USB Audio, when it works, works most of the time until the dreaded "squelch" rears its ugly head. When it works correctly, the system resumes from where the car was stopped. Sometimes it initializes right away and sounds great but too many time it will just sit there "Initializing" and never actually load. I can remove the drive and it will start right back up from the first song on the drive in alphabetical order.

I can't help but wonder what if I am on a cross country trip, out in the middle of nowhere\, no cell service and the USB won't load, I don't sub to Sirius XM, so my only choices are silence or AM.. It's these thoughts that make wonder why they felt the need to remove the CD drive. I used it a lot in previous vehicles and have thousands of CDs but ... old technology., right?

/end ramble
Old 02-23-2019, 07:14 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
It's these thoughts that make wonder why they felt the need to remove the CD drive. I used it a lot in previous vehicles and have thousands of CDs but ... old technology., right?
Just a thought, but would an external CD drive work, hooked up via USB?
Old 02-23-2019, 08:39 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Sounds
I think you would use the line-in AUX connection.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:13 AM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
can't help but wonder what if I am on a cross country trip, out in the middle of nowhere\, no cell service and the USB won't load, I don't sub to Sirius XM, so my only choices are silence or AM.. It's these thoughts that make wonder why they felt the need to remove the CD drive. I used it a lot in previous vehicles and have thousands of CDs but ... old technology., right?

/end ramble
It’s not just CDs; it’s physical media in general. Subscription music – Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music, etc. – has won the game. For some reason, businesses prefer recurring revenue to one-time revenue.

USB A (the rectangular plug) is also in its last days, replaced by the smaller and reversible! USB C for both power and signal.

As for your hypothetical choice of AM or silence, given that AM radio is now all political and religious nut jobs, I recommend being alone with one’s thoughts.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Sounds
I have a bluray drive I could try, idk if it would interface with it but it could be worth a shot ha ha, but really the aux port would be the way to go
Old 02-23-2019, 01:54 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by tangible
I recommend being alone with one’s thoughts.
You must be a fellow "baby boomer". That concept seems to terrify the younger generations.

But a long solo road trip is pretty much the ONLY time I use in-car audio, to help keep me alert.

For those having trouble with USB, does Bluetooth with a phone work? I know there is loss of quality due to compression relative to direct USB connection.

I'm NOT excusing flakey USB audio performance. I haven't used it enough since the update to comment on that.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:52 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Will I have to install the D1.0.7 before I go the D1.1.2 update.

I still have the original version installed and tried to install the update and only the D1.0.7 is showing to install. My car was purchased in June soI should have both updates available as option. Anyone have any knowledge on this?
Old 02-23-2019, 03:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Hou-RL
I still have the original version installed and tried to install the update and only the D1.0.7 is showing to install. My car was purchased in June soI should have both updates available as option. Anyone have any knowledge on this?
It might be the updates are incremental so 1.1.2 may not show unless 1.0.7 is installed. All you can do is install 1.0.7 and go from there.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:05 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
It might be the updates are incremental so 1.1.2 may not show unless 1.0.7 is installed. All you can do is install 1.0.7 and go from there.
Yes thats is what I was not hoping for. Looks like I may not have an option.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:19 AM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
I have the 1.1.2 now since Feb 17 and I have tow issues.

1. While driving, the entire screen started going from bright to dim (not the same as changing from day mode to night mode) randomly and there is a message at the bottom "drive mode change not available" pops up and goes away every few seconds. I was able to change the drive mode and it shows the mode that I changed to on the center dashboard screen, but the mode selections did not show on the infotainment screen.

This had happened twice now. The first time was in late December 2018 after update from 1.0.4 to 1.0.7 and about 5 minutes into my drive.
The second time was February 23, 2019 after updating from 1.0.7 to 1.1.2 and about one minute into my drive. To fix this, I would need to stop, turn off the engine and exit the car. Wait for 15 minutes to restart the car.Both times, the navigation is on the large screen and FM or XM on the right sub screen.

2. USB audio playback is working better now, but I had one occurrence when starting the car with USB audio playback on the main screen, it shows "initialing" and never go away.It did work properly after restarting the car and I am sure that if I just unplug/replug would fix it also. Changing from USB audio to FM and then back did not fix it.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by subin
I have the 1.1.2 now since Feb 17 and I have tow issues.

1. While driving, the entire screen started going from bright to dim (not the same as changing from day mode to night mode) randomly and there is a message at the bottom "drive mode change not available" pops up and goes away every few seconds. I was able to change the drive mode and it shows the mode that I changed to on the center dashboard screen, but the mode selections did not show on the infotainment screen.

This had happened twice now. The first time was in late December 2018 after update from 1.0.4 to 1.0.7 and about 5 minutes into my drive.
The second time was February 23, 2019 after updating from 1.0.7 to 1.1.2 and about one minute into my drive. To fix this, I would need to stop, turn off the engine and exit the car. Wait for 15 minutes to restart the car.Both times, the navigation is on the large screen and FM or XM on the right sub screen.

2. USB audio playback is working better now, but I had one occurrence when starting the car with USB audio playback on the main screen, it shows "initialing" and never go away.It did work properly after restarting the car and I am sure that if I just unplug/replug would fix it also. Changing from USB audio to FM and then back did not fix it.
I have been having issue 1 exactly since the last update. Only happened one time after I got kinda stuck in some snow, I turned the car off and then on and havnt seen it since. I also did a factory reset after my CarPlay wasn’t working and I’ve had no issues with anything since
Old 02-25-2019, 06:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Wander
You must be a fellow "baby boomer". That concept seems to terrify the younger generations.

For those having trouble with USB, does Bluetooth with a phone work? I know there is loss of quality due to compression relative to direct USB connection.

I'm NOT excusing flakey USB audio performance. I haven't used it enough since the update to comment on that.
So far, BT audio works fine. I use Pandora and Amazon Music (buggy app) and they work ok. I wish there was more app control from the infotainment screen. I find that I have to have the app loaded and started from the phone before I can play music.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:50 AM
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
Since this update I've had two instances during CarPlay with the system beeping and then going down (voice recognition unavailable, no audio inputs working). I don't believe I had it at all on the previous update. So looks like more work to be done there.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:17 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Something occurred to me this afternoon...

The Android-based infotainment systems in my '17 and '19 Ridgelines have never exhibited any of the problems that the RDX has.

CarPlay has always worked. USB playback has always worked. Siri Eyes Free has always worked. The navigation system works. Satellite radio works. It doesn't freeze. It doesn't "stick" on causing the battery to run down. It doesn't make "emergency broadcast beeps" when playing music via USB. In short, everything simply works like it's supposed to...which is good thing because Honda has never released any software updates for it nor can it be updated by owners like the RDX and some other newer Hondas.

How can the Ridgeline's infotainment system be so stable and the RDX's so full of bugs even after three software versions? Yes, the RDX's system has telematics and a touchpad, but those don't seem to be the problem areas. The problem areas are with overall system stability, connectivity, navigation, and music playback - things both systems have in common. Also, the RDX's system is based on Android 5 while the Ridgeline's is based on Android 4 - some would argue that 5 should be more stable than 4.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:59 PM
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by zroger73

The Android-based infotainment systems in my '17 and '19 Ridgelines have never exhibited any of the problems that the RDX has.

CarPlay has always worked. USB playback has always worked. Siri Eyes Free has always worked. The navigation system works. Satellite radio works. It doesn't freeze. It doesn't "stick" on causing the battery to run down. It doesn't make "emergency broadcast beeps" when playing music via USB. In short, everything simply works like it's supposed to...which is good thing because Honda has never released any software updates for it nor can it be updated by owners like the RDX and some other newer Hondas.

How can the Ridgeline's infotainment system be so stable and the RDX's so full of bugs even after three software versions? Yes, the RDX's system has telematics and a touchpad, but those don't seem to be the problem areas. The problem areas are with overall system stability, connectivity, navigation, and music playback - things both systems have in common. Also, the RDX's system is based on Android 5 while the Ridgeline's is based on Android 4 - some would argue that 5 should be more stable than 4.
Well it's all about what Acura has built on top of Android. So in your Ridgeline, that's the same infotainment software Honda has featured in several vehicles for several years correct? The RDX UI is completely new to Acura so it's going to take time to iron out all those issues. Hopefully sooner than later they can do that, I think two updates already is at least a positive sign.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:40 AM
Drifting

Your Ridgeline's infotainment system debuted in 2016 Pilot, of which, for better or worse, I was an "early adopter".

It. Was. Buggy.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:39 AM
Instructor

How can the Ridgeline's infotainment system be so stable and the RDX's so full of bugs even after three software versions? Yes, the RDX's system has telematics and a touchpad, but those don't seem to be the problem areas.
Bad code can have far-flung effects that are unrelated to its functional purpose. Such things as memory leaks and buffer overflows come to mind. The fact that most of the problems people have experienced occur only sporadically, and that they’ve apparently been hard to find and fix, implicates this kind of bug, whose manifestations are often the result of race conditions or cumulative memory management errors.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:38 AM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
Acura's first mistake was using Android 5.x as a starting ground for this system in my opinion
Old 02-26-2019, 05:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts

Did you not get rid of your RDX???
Old 02-26-2019, 05:43 PM
Drifting

Bad code can have far-flung effects that are unrelated to its functional purpose. Such things as memory leaks and buffer overflows come to mind. The fact that most of the problems people have experienced occur only sporadically, and that they’ve apparently been hard to find and fix, implicates this kind of bug, whose manifestations are often the result of race conditions or cumulative memory management errors.
rare conditions?
Old 02-26-2019, 11:21 PM
5th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
HUD navigation turn direction problem

After this update, I'm experience problem with the HUD navigation turn direction not staying in sync with what's on the infotainment system. The HUD turn direction appears to sometimes not update properly; it keeps displaying an old turn direction (which I already executed) while the infotainment system has moved on to the next turn or go straight direction. It usually sorts itself out after a couple more turns; but the inconsistent display could last quite a while - depending on how far you drive till your next set of turns.

Never had this problem, before this update.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wander
rare conditions?
No, race conditions. That engineering term refers to two asynchronous processes both wanting to use the same exclusive resource, and “racing” each other for it rather than queuing in a controlled fashion. Such an error may survive lots of testing, only to fail when used in production quantities.

Illustration: backing out of a driveway in a sparsely populated area without checking the rear view mirror. You will get away with it almost every time. Almost.

This, by the way, is what the famous “Murphy’s Law” is actually about. People think that “If anything can go wrong it will” is meant as fatalism or irony, but it really refers to closing every such loophole in the design phase lest it manifest itself in the real world.

Sorry for a TLDR answer to a one word question!

Last edited by tangible; 02-27-2019 at 02:52 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just updated to D.1.1.2 in Canada

Took about 12 minutes to complete while I was driving. No issues at all. Fixed the Sirius XM channel change issue with the left steering wheel controller that I was experiencing. Boot time to Sirius is much less than the 30 seconds reported earlier.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PRM-RDX-3G
Took about 12 minutes to complete while I was driving. No issues at all. Fixed the Sirius XM channel change issue with the left steering wheel controller that I was experiencing. Boot time to Sirius is much less than the 30 seconds reported earlier.
Thanks for the reminder I wanted to post a follow up.

After "Reset to Factory", I found everything is working in order. No long wait time for loading XM or Navigation.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:22 AM
Gen3 RDX Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Canadian Vehicle got 1.1.2 THIS MORNIGN

Finally got my 1.0.4 updated to 1.1.2, no noticeable change tho. Hope they improved the stability.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:46 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by BILFFF
Finally got my 1.0.4 updated to 1.1.2, no noticeable change tho. Hope they improved the stability.
when did u get it?

Old 02-28-2019, 11:53 AM
Drifting

No, race conditions. That engineering term refers to two asynchronous processes both wanting to use the same exclusive resource, and “racing” each other for it rather than queuing in a controlled fashion. Such an error may survive lots of testing, only to fail when used in production quantities.

Illustration: backing out of a driveway in a sparsely populated area without checking the rear view mirror. You will get away with it almost every time. Almost.

This, by the way, is what the famous “Murphy’s Law” is actually about. People think that “If anything can go wrong it will” is meant as fatalism or irony, but it really refers to closing every such loophole in the design phase lest it manifest itself in the real world.

Sorry for a TLDR answer to a one word question!
Thanks for the explanation. But Mr. Murphy holds sway over many aspects of my life. Or maybe it's gremlins.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:02 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by BILFFF
Did you have to upgrade to 1.0.7 first or was the 1.1.2 available when you selected updates?
Old 02-28-2019, 03:26 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Got 1.1.2 Today

Originally Posted by Yotrek
when did u get it?
I got mine today. Just check the "System Update" menu item on your "Home Screen".
Old 03-01-2019, 08:23 AM
Cruisin'

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I just did the update from 1.0.4 to 1.1.2. There was no noticeable patching to 1.0.7 first or anything. The system did reboot a few times so for all I know it first did the upgrade to 1.0.7 then to 1.1.2 but even if it did it did so in a seamless manner.

Quick Reply: Over The Air (OTA) Software Update D.1.1.2