Infotainment issues getting worse

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 10:33 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Infotainment issues getting worse

Hoping someone has some suggestions for me. I installed the D.1.2.2 update without incident -- but immediately thereafter, had a variety of problems, the most annoying being that CarPlay would crash (or appear to) -- basically, whatever I was doing through my iPhone would stop, the CarPlay icon on the Acura screen would dim, and then a few seconds later (without any intervention from me), it would restart. Other issues included phantom phone calls that were hung up preventing use of the infotainment system, and inability to use the left wheel on the steering wheel to change channels -- it would either say system unavailable or just not work, and then sometimes 30 seconds later, advance by however many clicks I had done while it wasn't working. The CarPlay crashing would happen probably every 10 minutes. This clearly started upon installation of the D.1.2.2

Then, two days ago, I installed the new iOS update and went to 13.6. Now, the CarPlay situation is worse. When it crashes, it stays down for much longer, probably over a minute or so. During this time period, it is like the USB port is dead. The phone doesn't charge, even if I unplug it and replug it. I can't get audio by playing via USB, rather than CarPlay. Eventually, but much longer than the previous crash style, it comes back to life. This is superdisruptive, especially when I am using GPS (Google Maps), which is often. It is bad enough that I am considering using the built-in nav, which I do not like at all.

Any suggestions at all? Is it worth a call to the dealer? Should I try to download D.1.2.2 from the website to a USB stick and see if that helps?
Old 08-08-2020, 10:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Normally I'd say to take it in and have the dealership deal with it, but I'm not sure what they can do other than replace the entire unit (if they'll even do that). There's no shortage of complaints about the infotainment system, and if someone had a fix you'd better bet it would make its way around here like wildfire.

You could try a few things:
1) Try a different phone to eliminate your phone being the culprit.
2) Try a different USB cable to eliminate that as being the culprit.
3) Try doing a 3 finger reboot of the system.

Other than that...I'm not sure what else there is to try. The system works fine for some people (I suspect many don't actually use it all that much, and if you don't use something, it's less likely to have issues), but for some it has all sorts of non-deterministic problems. If you can consistently reproduce it, document it, and escalate the problem to no avail, you might be able to lemon law the car if you're desperate for a way to get out from under it.
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
19 RDX A-Spec (02-03-2021), Tesla1856 (08-13-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 10:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Normally I'd say to take it in and have the dealership deal with it, but I'm not sure what they can do other than replace the entire unit (if they'll even do that). There's no shortage of complaints about the infotainment system, and if someone had a fix you'd better bet it would make its way around here like wildfire.

You could try a few things:
1) Try a different phone to eliminate your phone being the culprit.
2) Try a different USB cable to eliminate that as being the culprit.
3) Try doing a 3 finger reboot of the system.

Other than that...I'm not sure what else there is to try. The system works fine for some people (I suspect many don't actually use it all that much, and if you don't use something, it's less likely to have issues), but for some it has all sorts of non-deterministic problems. If you can consistently reproduce it, document it, and escalate the problem to no avail, you might be able to lemon law the car if you're desperate for a way to get out from under it.
What do you mean by 3 finger reboot? Of the phone or of the car system? How would you do that?
Old 08-08-2020, 11:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeemaker
What do you mean by 3 finger reboot? Of the phone or of the car system? How would you do that?
Old 08-08-2020, 11:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fiatlux
thank you
Old 08-09-2020, 01:47 AM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Hoping someone has some suggestions for me. I installed the D.1.2.2 update without incident -- but immediately thereafter, had a variety of problems, the most annoying being that CarPlay would crash (or appear to) -- basically, whatever I was doing through my iPhone would stop, the CarPlay icon on the Acura screen would dim, and then a few seconds later (without any intervention from me), it would restart. Other issues included phantom phone calls that were hung up preventing use of the infotainment system, and inability to use the left wheel on the steering wheel to change channels -- it would either say system unavailable or just not work, and then sometimes 30 seconds later, advance by however many clicks I had done while it wasn't working. The CarPlay crashing would happen probably every 10 minutes. This clearly started upon installation of the D.1.2.2

Then, two days ago, I installed the new iOS update and went to 13.6. Now, the CarPlay situation is worse. When it crashes, it stays down for much longer, probably over a minute or so. During this time period, it is like the USB port is dead. The phone doesn't charge, even if I unplug it and replug it. I can't get audio by playing via USB, rather than CarPlay. Eventually, but much longer than the previous crash style, it comes back to life. This is superdisruptive, especially when I am using GPS (Google Maps), which is often. It is bad enough that I am considering using the built-in nav, which I do not like at all.

Any suggestions at all? Is it worth a call to the dealer? Should I try to download D.1.2.2 from the website to a USB stick and see if that helps?
AFAIK if the phone doesn't charge, that means the problem is in the physical lightning-USB connection to the car. Everything else rolls downhill from this. Try cleaning the port on the phone, try unplugging and replugging the USB end of the cable as well as the lightning connector end. Try a new cable.

If none of this changes anything, I think dealer service needs to dig into the USB hardware of the car. I don't think any software glitch can cause the phone not to charge. ( But I've been wrong before, so if anyone knows different, please share! )
Old 08-09-2020, 09:06 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wander
AFAIK if the phone doesn't charge, that means the problem is in the physical lightning-USB connection to the car. Everything else rolls downhill from this. Try cleaning the port on the phone, try unplugging and replugging the USB end of the cable as well as the lightning connector end. Try a new cable.

If none of this changes anything, I think dealer service needs to dig into the USB hardware of the car. I don't think any software glitch can cause the phone not to charge. ( But I've been wrong before, so if anyone knows different, please share! )
I will try those things (have already tried unplugging and replugging both ends), but the phone only stops charging for a minute. When CarPlay is working, the phone charges.

i haven’t tried the dealer yet, because this is one of those things where they will have to drive around for 20 minutes and hope it happens. Grrrr.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:57 AM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
Video it when it happens.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:09 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Try a new cable. I was having a connection issue with Android Auto, and even though I was "certain" I had a good cable, after several weeks, I tried a different cable, and so far I have not had the issue again. TRY A DIFFERENT CABLE.
The following users liked this post:
BigOil (11-05-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 10:20 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Try a new cable. I was having a connection issue with Android Auto, and even though I was "certain" I had a good cable, after several weeks, I tried a different cable, and so far I have not had the issue again. TRY A DIFFERENT CABLE.
will do. I had a similar issue with a phone not connecting to my Mac, and even though it was a new Apple cable, I tried a different cable and it worked.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:53 AM
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts
I will try those things (have already tried unplugging and replugging both ends), but the phone only stops charging for a minute. When CarPlay is working, the phone charges.

i haven’t tried the dealer yet, because this is one of those things where they will have to drive around for 20 minutes and hope it happens. Grrrr.
My bet is you have a “software conflict” of some sort. I had similar issues and then did a master reset of my IPhone and have had no issues since. Back it up first to ITunes and then completely wipe the device. Restore from your backup and then try. Several other users that had issues got resolution finally once they did a master reset of their IPhone. We don’t know why this works other than there must be some piece of “corrupt software” or something that the Carplay stuggles with causing the random crashes.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:09 PM
Advanced

I did the three finger reset and tried. New cable and it happened twice in a. 20 minute drive.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts
Try new USB cable (good one) and reboot.
if does not help, see dealer
Old 08-09-2020, 03:53 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
I had the same issue a few weeks ago; did a factory reset of the system including pulling the audio system fuse for 10 minutes. No problems since. Pulling the fuse may not be necessary, since I did it primarily to solve the clock offset issue (see this TSB: http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B19-050.PDF)

Last edited by dblwishbone; 08-09-2020 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:21 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dblwishbone
I had the same issue a few weeks ago; did a factory reset of the system including pulling the audio system fuse for 10 minutes. No problems since. Pulling the fuse may not be necessary, since I did it primarily to solve the clock offset issue (see this TSB: http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B19-050.PDF)
how do you do the factory reset?
Old 08-09-2020, 04:25 PM
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
I’ve found that on 1.2.2 CarPlay (granted I’m on iOS 14 beta) works perfectly fine every time as I head to my destination, and fails every time on the way back. Would love some engineering explanation as to why that is. Really hoping that a big software update is on the way to coincide with the TLX release.
wmkim (11-07-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 04:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mcrompton
I’ve found that on 1.2.2 CarPlay (granted I’m on iOS 14 beta) works perfectly fine every time as I head to my destination, and fails every time on the way back. Would love some engineering explanation as to why that is. Really hoping that a big software update is on the way to coincide with the TLX release.
I’ve been waiting on an update, because it’s so inconvenient to go to the dealer, especially knowing they probably won’t be able to fix it. But I feel like my problem is so strange in that it started with the Acura update and then worsened with the Apple update. And now it’s so bad that I might not be able to avoid going to the dealer. My next step is trying with a non-Apple cable, although I was using a brand new Apple cable. And trying with a different phone. And I’ll try the factory reset if someone tells me how to do it. The three finger reset did not help.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:39 PM
Instructor

I’ve been waiting on an update, because it’s so inconvenient to go to the dealer, especially knowing they probably won’t be able to fix it. But I feel like my problem is so strange in that it started with the Acura update and then worsened with the Apple update. And now it’s so bad that I might not be able to avoid going to the dealer. My next step is trying with a non-Apple cable, although I was using a brand new Apple cable. And trying with a different phone. And I’ll try the factory reset if someone tells me how to do it. The three finger reset did not help.
If it helps you any, my phone does the exact same thing on my wife’s car, which is also a 2019 RDX. So the problem is definitely between 1.2.2 and the phone, and not unique to the car itself.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:23 PM
Instructor

Factory reset is in the Settings menu under System, I think. Takes about 20 minutes to run and will wipe out your radio/XM presets.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:25 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
how do you do the factory reset?
Factory reset is in the Settings menu under System, I think. Takes about 20 minutes to run and will wipe out your radio/XM presets.
This is why I don't go crazy changing the defaults, other than adding my radio presets. I figure I'll have to do this from time to time during the life of the car. And I don't usually bother with Android Auto. Just not worth it.

Last edited by NooYawkuh; 08-10-2020 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:35 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
This is why I don't go crazy changing the defaults, other than adding my radio presets. I figure I'll have to do this from time to time during the life of the car. And I don't usually bother with Android Auto. Just not worth it.

I guess I’ll give this a try – I hate zapping all of the work I’ve done. Especially without any assurance that it will work. The last thing I’ve been trying is using a different iPhone – I did use my work phone the other day for about a 15 minute drive and it did not crash. But I feel like I need more evidence on that front. That said, before I deal with the dealer, I want to confirm that it will happen with every phone - truly do not want to make an appointment, demand a loaner, drive all the way there, drive all the way back, for nothing to change.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:45 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infotainment CarPlay possible solutions

I have had a lot of the issues we are all complaining about. Here is what has worked for me:
1. If the system freezes up or becomes glitchy- I have removed Fuse #37 under the dash, near the hood release. It is for the infotainment system. This may get your system unfrozen and allow you to do the next step.
2. Factory Data Reset- Go to Settings, System, Factory Data Reset. This will get you back to the original infotainment settings.
3. TURN OFF Bluetooth while using Apple CarPlay. I filed a complaint with Acura. Once they got back to me, 2 weeks later, one of the solutions they offered for CarPlay cutting out was to make sure the system wasn't fighting between CarPlay and Bluetooth.

Seems pretty basic, but this got my infotainment system to run solidly for a few weeks......until it happens again : )
Old 08-10-2020, 12:44 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
This has worked for me so far.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:25 PM
Instructor

Switching off Bluetooth doesn't really help if you're having CarPlay issues. You have to update the infotainment system and do factory reset; version D1.2.1 and above fixes a conflict between the USB audio app and CarPlay which causes the disconnects.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:14 PM
Advanced

Switching off Bluetooth doesn't really help if you're having CarPlay issues. You have to update the infotainment system and do factory reset; version D1.2.1 and above fixes a conflict between the USB audio app and CarPlay which causes the disconnects.
I did the factory reset - now just need a 20 minute drive to see what happens. Had already updated to 1.2.2, which is when the disconnects started.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
I find it amazing that this is still happening. CarPlay works perfectly in many other vehicles. Wonder if the TLX release will bring some solution.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:35 AM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by quantum7
I find it amazing that this is still happening. CarPlay works perfectly in many other vehicles. Wonder if the TLX release will bring some solution.
It looks like the same system from the outside...and if it is the same programmers, I highly doubt the performance will be any better.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:58 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by markm929
It looks like the same system from the outside...and if it is the same programmers, I highly doubt the performance will be any better.
TLX features different graphics for Acura Watch in the gauge cluster and has additional settings for the custom drive mode and interior lighting. That being said, I’m a bit nervous about it after my RDX CarPlay experiences (being in IT I’m very patient too) when considering the Type-S.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:52 AM
Advanced

Update here: while a huge pain, the system reset seems to have worked. Please don’t let this post be a jinx.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:55 AM
Advanced

Update here: while a huge pain, the system reset seems to have worked. Please don’t let this post be a jinx.

THANK YOU to everyone who offered advice!
Old 08-13-2020, 03:19 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by quantum7
CarPlay works flawlessly for me any time I use it, albeit, I barely use it. I've heard CarPlay issues crop up on every automaker across the board. Honda isn't alone with these issues. Some people get lucky, while others not so much.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by mcrompton
TLX features different graphics for Acura Watch in the gauge cluster and has additional settings for the custom drive mode and interior lighting. That being said, I’m a bit nervous about it after my RDX CarPlay experiences (being in IT I’m very patient too) when considering the Type-S.
I'm also in this thread because my 2021 TLX is still being built.

Pretty sure (was it in the leaked "Dealer Video") that the the 2021-TLX with Tech-Package NAV Head-Unit was slightly upgraded over recent RDX. I don't use CarPlay, but this base-unit is what facilitates it.

I'm just glad there are no more "Acura DVDs" (maps and firmware) to load like models from 6 years ago. Sounds like it is all downloaded over wireless these days.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:34 AM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio85
CarPlay works flawlessly for me any time I use it, albeit, I barely use it. I've heard CarPlay issues crop up on every automaker across the board. Honda isn't alone with these issues. Some people get lucky, while others not so much.
In February, I did a full factory reset, and have not had any problems since. I do use Carplay, but sparingly.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:51 AM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
I'm just glad there are no more "Acura DVDs" (maps and firmware) to load like models from 6 years ago. Sounds like it is all downloaded over wireless these days.
Physical media is dead.

Old 08-14-2020, 11:54 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bought a new Iphone11 yesterday. Reset the infotainment system and plugged it in with the new cable. Carplay ran for about 5 minutes on Google maps then quit, the same as before. So no change with new Iphone, cable and a reset.

Last edited by 111cab; 08-14-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio85
I agree that every car has issues, but Acura CarPlay and infotainment on this latest iteration has had more than its share of problems, and we are onto like year 3? I think that Acura issue are more than just random bad luck and more of bad design and worse integration.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts
After latest software update and TSB for comm lost, my infotainment works pretty good. I think its pretty good now.
BigOil (11-05-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 08:21 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new iPhone

I just changed to an iPhone from a samsung galaxy. I was able to connect to apple car play on my 2018 honda odyssey but it will not connect to my 2020 rdx. It says car play unavailable. I have tried changing cords and reconnecting my phone. My wife has the same iPhone 11 and her phone will connect. I'm not sure what the issue is. Apple ran a diagnostic on
my phone and they will call me back next week. I was able to connect to CarPlay on my sons corolla.The rdx was the only car it wouldn't connect to.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:59 AM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by bandon858
I just changed to an iPhone from a samsung galaxy. I was able to connect to apple car play on my 2018 honda odyssey but it will not connect to my 2020 rdx. It says car play unavailable. I have tried changing cords and reconnecting my phone. My wife has the same iPhone 11 and her phone will connect. I'm not sure what the issue is. Apple ran a diagnostic on
my phone and they will call me back next week. I was able to connect to CarPlay on my sons corolla.The rdx was the only car it wouldn't connect to.
I can get Apple CarPlay on my Samsung? Not that I would but it never even occurred to me.
Old 08-15-2020, 04:36 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
I can get Apple CarPlay on my Samsung? Not that I would but it never even occurred to me.
No, the poster said " I just changed to an iPhone from a samsung galaxy." NOT that they could get CarPlay on the Samsung.

Quick Reply: Infotainment issues getting worse