Infotainment issues getting worse

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 12:13 PM
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts
It simply can’t be the phone/cable used... same phone used in a Mazda Mx-5 with an aftermarket Sony CarPlay headunit worked flawlessly for a 10 day 10000km 10hr/day road trip. Plug the phone and cable into the rdx and I am lucky if I get 20minutes before the rdx and CarPlay start fighting.

What always seems to precipitate it is to play music and then have Waze or google maps try to alert you to something, boom no CarPlay, and in some cases it doesn’t even recognize the phone is connected to the USB port. For a while turning Bluetooth off worked well (if you remembered to do that before you started the rdx. 3 finger reboots do nothing, force rebooting the phone does nothing. Got a speeding ticket because CarPlay and the rdx were fighting and stopped talking 10 minutes before a speed camera that waze would have warned me about.

just very frustrated with the rdx infotainment system.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:20 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by qwxilvr
It simply can’t be the phone/cable used... same phone used in a Mazda Mx-5 with an aftermarket Sony CarPlay headunit worked flawlessly for a 10 day 10000km 10hr/day road trip. Plug the phone and cable into the rdx and I am lucky if I get 20minutes before the rdx and CarPlay start fighting.

What always seems to precipitate it is to play music and then have Waze or google maps try to alert you to something, boom no CarPlay, and in some cases it doesn’t even recognize the phone is connected to the USB port. For a while turning Bluetooth off worked well (if you remembered to do that before you started the rdx. 3 finger reboots do nothing, force rebooting the phone does nothing. Got a speeding ticket because CarPlay and the rdx were fighting and stopped talking 10 minutes before a speed camera that waze would have warned me about.

just very frustrated with the rdx infotainment system.
Sorry this is happening to you. The speeding ticket is your fault, not the RDX or CarPlay or Waze.

I was having connection issues with Android Auto, and now have a new cable I am testing. We'll see. It MAY be a worn out USB-C port on my Samsung S8...I hate to say it, but it may be time for me to get a new phone? Still testing.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts
Nothing wrong with using quality cable to rule out certain causes.
The following users liked this post:
JB in AZ (08-16-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 03:35 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by russianDude
Nothing wrong with using quality cable to rule out certain causes.
Yes, except with this Covid stuff, I'm not driving as much, and its too hot (110 F today) to sit in the car and test, even in the garage. This has been the hottest Summer in Southern Arizona history. So I hope to drive on Wednesday, to test out my new Monoprice cable.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:50 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by JB in AZ
...I'm not driving as much, and its too hot (110 F today) to sit in the car and test, even in the garage. This has been the hottest Summer in Southern Arizona history...
You are a hardy soul.

I wonder where you are relative to the design/testing limits for many of the vehicle systems. You're probably getting close.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:53 PM
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts
Sorry this is happening to you. The speeding ticket is your fault, not the RDX or CarPlay or Waze.

I was having connection issues with Android Auto, and now have a new cable I am testing. We'll see. It MAY be a worn out USB-C port on my Samsung S8...I hate to say it, but it may be time for me to get a new phone? Still testing.
yep speeding ticket is 100% my fault. It just adds to the frustration of the infotainment and the phone not playing well together knowing that I would have gotten a warning of the impending camera, is all I was meaning.
JB in AZ (08-16-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 03:56 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DJA123
You are a hardy soul.

I wonder where you are relative to the design/testing limits for many of the vehicle systems. You're probably getting close.
HEH! It was 127 F in the sun late afternoon yesterday when the sun was on my outside thermometer sensor. This is why I say, if the A/C works here then anyone complaining either isn't using it the best way, or needs to take it into the dealer.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:58 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by qwxilvr
yep speeding ticket is 100% my fault. It just adds to the frustration of the infotainment and the phone not playing well together knowing that I would have gotten a warning of the impending camera, is all I was meaning.
Yep, and I DO understand the frustration. You had a system that should have warned you, but didn't.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by bandon858
I just changed to an iPhone from a samsung galaxy. I was able to connect to apple car play on my 2018 honda odyssey but it will not connect to my 2020 rdx. It says car play unavailable. I have tried changing cords and reconnecting my phone. My wife has the same iPhone 11 and her phone will connect. I'm not sure what the issue is. Apple ran a diagnostic on
my phone and they will call me back next week. I was able to connect to CarPlay on my sons corolla.The rdx was the only car it wouldn't connect to.
I assume the iOS on your phone is up-to-date?
Did you try the other USB ports on the RDX ?
How about the Acura App? Might not hurt to delete it, reboot phone, and then re-install it (and re-setup your login).

Some good tips here. Read carefully (maybe print). Try to be methodical in your troubleshooting:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210892
and
https://macreports.com/apple-carplay...ng-how-to-fix/

Last edited by Tesla1856; 08-17-2020 at 12:38 AM. Reason: More details
Old 08-17-2020, 10:24 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Phones, by themselves, and apps on them don't always work right. Apps that are supposed to integrate with other apps are even less reliable. Trying to get everything to work in a car infotainment system, when they're made by two or three different companies is too much to expect, IMO. Sure, it would be nice.

Have you seen the new SpaceEx capsule? Pretty much all glass cockpit. If they had that on Apollo 13, they'd be outside the Ort cloud by now.
markm929 (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 07:37 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apple called me back last night and they said its a known issue with a few phones where the iPhone will not connect to the rdx. Unfortunately there is no work around right now. So for the time being I have no apple car play
Old 08-18-2020, 09:09 AM
Drifting

Apple called me back last night and they said its a known issue with a few phones where the iPhone will not connect to the rdx. Unfortunately there is no work around right now. So for the time being I have no apple car play
But your wife has the same phone and it connects? Is your phone brand new? Will Apple replace your phone, as it seems to be defective? Is there a factory reset on Apple phones? Is there an app you run on your phone that your wife doesn't have that might be causing a conflict? Grasping at things that might help, as I am an Android user. Something isn't right here.
Tesla1856 (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 11:19 AM
Burning Brakes

That just means they don't know. They can't/won't blame Acura for (at least) 2 reasons:
1. It works for others
2. Acura allowed them to place Apple Car-Play into the vehicle

It also has the effect of getting you to stop worrying about it (it's hopeless and you move on).
I would at least try everything on the pages I posted.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:23 PM
10th Gear

I actually reset my iPhone and it still doesn't work
Old 08-18-2020, 04:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
For shits and giggles, you can try swapping phones with your wife. Back up both phones, then restore hers using your backup, and restore yours with her backup. If your phone restored with her backup still doesn't work, then you've isolated the problem to the hardware. And if her phone with your backup now doesn't work, then you've isolated the problem to the software.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:46 PM
Suzuka Master

I got iPhone Max XS, seems to be OK with 13.6.1 iOS. Are they saying its something with newer iPhones?
Old 08-18-2020, 09:17 PM
Burning Brakes

So we are clear ...
I'm trying to help you because it looks like your main use of this forum is for help with the Acura App and CarPlay.

So, when you say you "reset my iPhone" ... are you saying that you:
- completely erased your iPhone-11 (like before you sell it)
- Restored your iPhone-11 (from the iCloud backup your recently made)
- then tried to make it work in usual fashion

JB in AZ (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 09:59 PM
10th Gear

Yes I did a factory reset and restored my phone from icloud backup
Old 08-19-2020, 12:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Lightbulb Troubleshooting

Yes I did a factory reset and restored my phone from icloud backup
So, you didn't do any wrong, per-say.

However, notice how the iPhone-11 ended up with all the same software/apps and settings as before? Well, while this is great if you get a new phone ... it doesn't really accomplish much to troubleshoot your problem. Whatever software or setting that was originally preventing CarPlay from working ... is back on the phone again.

And personally (as I understand the problem) ... I'm still not 100% convinced the problem is your iPhone-11. You won't really know what the problem was until you get it working.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 08-19-2020 at 12:45 AM.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've been fighting these CarPlay issues for almost 2 years. At one point the connectivity with CarPlay was really good, but when the next software upgrade was loaded issues resumed.
My RDX is currently at the shop, ever since the last Acura update I've been unable to change the channels with the thumbwheel counter clockwise, clockwise has been good. We'll see if the dealer is able to fix this first issue.
As far as CarPlay, it's super frustrating how inconsistent it has been. I've had many cheap Nissan and Hyundai rental cars where CarPlay runs without issues for the 3-4 days that I have the car.
At times, I feel like giving up on CarPlay, but I much prefer Waze for Nav and the notifications over the factory nav. But the constant disconnects are super annoying.
I've never done a full system reset, restore all factory settings and will give that a try if the issues continue.
Lately, I've been wondering if those that use Android phones over iPhones are having the same issues...
Old 08-19-2020, 03:00 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by EddieN
Lately, I've been wondering if those that use Android phones over iPhones are having the same issues...
I have had Android Auto issues that were DEFINITELY related to cable usage. I have proven to myself that is the case 100%. I doubted it.. I am a believer! My connection issues have been resolved with the use of a high quality UBS-A to USB-C cable. I know iPhones use a different cable. Have you tried a brand new cable? While it doesn't SOUND like your issue is cable related, I didn't think mine was either.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:02 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had Android Auto issues that were DEFINITELY related to cable usage. I have proven to myself that is the case 100%. I doubted it.. I am a believer! My connection issues have been resolved with the use of a high quality UBS-A to USB-C cable. I know iPhones use a different cable. Have you tried a brand new cable? While it doesn't SOUND like your issue is cable related, I didn't think mine was either.
speaking only for myself, I tried a new cable and it didn’t help. Resetting the entire system was a big pain, but it did help.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:06 PM
Intermediate

Yes, have tried multiple OEM cables and 1 aftermarket. Def not cable related.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:15 PM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
I did a full system reset back in February and have not had any real problems yet, except for yesterday when I was in a hurry and didn’t wait for the full boot sequence before I drove off.

I got that rotating starburst for almost 10 minutes until it finally rebooted and came on.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:45 PM
Intermediate

Rebooted the system and doing that corrected the issue with the tuner that the dealer could not fix. I suppose I'll have to drive it more to see how CarPlay and the tuner issue respond after the Factory reset.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:08 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeemaker
Update here: while a huge pain, the system reset seems to have worked. Please don’t let this post be a jinx.
UPDATE: this worked for less than three months. The same exact thing (system dropping CarPlay, then reconnecting) just started again a few days ago, and I am factory resetting again. In case Acura is lurking: this is not acceptable and it would stop me from leasing another Acura. I have no problems with how the infotainment system works, when it is working. But having to reset every setting in this entire complicated car multiple times time, just to make CarPlay work is not acceptable. Nor is it acceptable to lose my GPS or whatever else I’m listening to every 10 minutes while I’m in the car.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:10 PM
Suzuka Master

I have not had any issues after latest
software and TSB with car play
Old 11-02-2020, 04:39 PM
Drifting

Was in the car all day today, mostly on CarPlay.

No issues at all.
Old 11-02-2020, 05:25 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
I have not had any issues after latest
software and TSB with car play
Ah yes; you do have to pull the fuse to fully reset the system. I did that and have no issues on D1.2.2
Old 11-02-2020, 05:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dblwishbone
Ah yes; you do have to pull the fuse to fully reset the system. I did that and have no issues on D1.2.2

yeah, RDX infoteinment got really bad initial reviews with earlier version of software, it was total crap. Now its reasonable, not perfect, but good enough for most people.
The TSB is the one about blue screen with communication lost, I was getting it once a week, but after TSB done at the dealer it seems to be resolved. Infotainment system meets my needs.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:32 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
I have had few problems with this system. BUT, I don't use an Apple anything and I rarely use Android Auto. I can not complain about this system at all. Besides, for me at least, the ability to interface with my phone beyond dong a real phone call and maybe seeing a map on the screen is all I need and those work just great. My choice of vehicles to put my money on isn't dictated by a "Infotainment system" There is far more to a car than how well it works with your phone, well at least for most people. But, YMMV as they say.
B25Nut (11-03-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 11:42 PM
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts
Random glitches have mostly gone away. Carplay is a big deal to me. The sound quality is noticeably better than Bluetooth. Gotta make use of the awesome sound system we have.
Old 11-03-2020, 10:36 AM
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludepower
Random glitches have mostly gone away. Carplay is a big deal to me. The sound quality is noticeably better than Bluetooth. Gotta make use of the awesome sound system we have.
Ditto on that assessment. Only thing I notice is that for a minute or so right after your fire it all up the volume control does not work and whatever's playing skips. Goes away once the underpowered processor in the Infotainment system catches up.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:49 PM
Drifting

Spent about 4 hours yesterday on Carplay. No issues.