HUD Problem - Out of Focus

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018 | 02:41 PM
4th Gear

Exclamation HUD Problem - Out of Focus

Hi,
I just purchased a 2019 RDX Advance w/SH-AWD in majestic black pearl, 19in glint black wheels and I love it so far. Only problem is the HUD has been out of focus since I bought it. Hard to notice at first but became painfully obvious while using it at night. Dealer took it in to see if they could fix the issue. Turns out they will need to replace the HUD. Not good. I wanted to see if anyone had this issue and what the remedy was? I am worried that once they remove the old system and put in the new one.....things are not going to go back into place like new.....seems like it will take a decent amount of time and I am sure its the first one the dealership will be replacing so I am a little worried. Surgery is scheduled for this Thursday. Anyone have any experience with replacing a HUD system in the new RDX from a customer's perspective? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-10-2018 | 03:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Jonathant21
Hi,
I just purchased a 2019 RDX Advance w/SH-AWD in majestic black pearl, 19in glint black wheels and I love it so far. Only problem is the HUD has been out of focus since I bought it. Hard to notice at first but became painfully obvious while using it at night. Dealer took it in to see if they could fix the issue. Turns out they will need to replace the HUD. Not good. I wanted to see if anyone had this issue and what the remedy was? I am worried that once they remove the old system and put in the new one.....things are not going to go back into place like new.....seems like it will take a decent amount of time and I am sure its the first one the dealership will be replacing so I am a little worried. Surgery is scheduled for this Thursday. Anyone have any experience with replacing a HUD system in the new RDX from a customer's perspective? Thanks in advance.
It's a relatively new car so the likelihood that someone has had this issue is very low. It is not going to be a quick fix as they will have to remove your whole dashboard. But it should be a simple and easy fix, they remove the dashboard and then simply reinstall a whole new HUD unit. They will already have the service manual and know how to remove each section, it will probably just take them a little longer.

I just suggest that you take a good look around your dash trim pieces to make sure they haven't damaged anything in the process as they can sometimes scratch or crack things as they remove them.
Old 12-11-2018 | 11:53 AM
Drifting

You wouldn't believe what they have to do when they install the accessory heated steering wheel for vehicles not so equipped from the factory. I amused myself by looking through some of the installation guides a while ago. If they have done any of those, they may have experience with dash surgery.

Anyway, the dash is designed to be be disassembled and reassembled upon demand. As RDX10 says, if they haven't done it many times they will just have to take their time and Read the Fine Manual.

I think some dealers have their body shops do stuff like this because they have more experience with interior trim.
Old 12-11-2018 | 11:56 AM
AZ Community Team

Always remember if a dealer is touching your dash, make sure they don't scratch your it. I agree with RDX10.

I don't think it's a difficult task to do...Good luck!
Old 12-12-2018 | 10:04 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Always remember if a dealer is touching your dash, make sure they don't scratch your it. I agree with RDX10.

I don't think it's a difficult task to do...Good luck!
Thanks guys for the input! I called the service department and asked for them to take their time and be careful with the install. I bought it new and I expect it back in new condition. I will go over the dash carefully upon return.
Old 12-12-2018 | 10:29 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Jonathant21
Thanks guys for the input! I called the service department and asked for them to take their time and be careful with the install. I bought it new and I expect it back in new condition. I will go over the dash carefully upon return.
anytime!

Yes, take 10 min and check the corners, air vents and etc. Don't go at night, go during the day time to get back your car. Also, make sure the manager knows that you won't accept any damage.
Old 07-10-2019 | 03:21 PM
3rd Gear

I am having same problem on my 2019 Advance model RDX. Dealer said they need to install a new windshield to fix. Dealer said nothing about a new HUD or removing the dashboard. I am really concerned about having this done or just living with the blurry HUD. Any other owners having blurry HUD issues????
Old 07-10-2019 | 04:56 PM
Pro

Blurry HUD's are more often the result of improperly manufactured, incorrect, or incompatible windshields than faulty HUD projectors.

The Advance trim has a HUD-compatible windshield. All other trims have a different windshield that isn't HUD-compatible and will result in a double/blurry image.

One troubleshooting technique is to hold a mirror up against the inside of the windshield. If the HUD image is clear in the mirror's reflection, but not in the windshield, then the windshield is at fault. If the image in the mirror's reflection is blurry, then the HUD is at fault.
The following 2 users liked this post by zroger73:
Barb2019RDX (07-11-2019), Madd Dog (07-23-2020)
Old 07-10-2019 | 05:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by zroger73
Blurry HUD's are more often the result of improperly manufactured, incorrect, or incompatible windshields than faulty HUD projectors.

The Advance trim has a HUD-compatible windshield. All other trims have a different windshield that isn't HUD-compatible and will result in a double/blurry image.

One troubleshooting technique is to hold a mirror up against the inside of the windshield. If the HUD image is clear in the mirror's reflection, but not in the windshield, then the windshield is at fault. If the image in the mirror's reflection is blurry, then the HUD is at fault.
That's actually a good thought.
Old 07-10-2019 | 06:20 PM
Instructor

I had a periodic (yet annoying) rattle from the dash area. Tech and I took a joy ride and he quickly determined it was from around the screen. So they had to remove the dash to snug things up. They take the dash off for various things and is not worrisome. I didn't think to check for scratches in advance of the repair but it turns out they fixed the problem and no scratches or dings anywhere. You should be fine.
Old 07-11-2019 | 02:00 PM
3rd Gear

Thank you I will try that. The dealer is ordering a new windshield to correspond to the car’s VIN and he says that it will fix the problem. I’m hesitant to have a new car with 2500 go thru that ordeal of replacing windshield but no other fix according to dealer. Anyone else out there with having to replace windshield due to faulty HUD??????
Old 07-14-2019 | 09:15 AM
Cruisin'

My HUD is crooked, it's canted slightly to the right and it drives me nuts. I dropped off the vehicle last week for that, sunroof rattling noises, and suspension cracking sounds around turns. They sent me an update on Friday stating they have to remove the headliner to further diagnose the sunroof issues...still haven't heard back about the HUD yet. I'll let you know what they say. I still love the vehicle, can't wait to get it back.
Old 07-14-2019 | 09:42 AM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by romer
I had a periodic (yet annoying) rattle from the dash area. Tech and I took a joy ride and he quickly determined it was from around the screen. So they had to remove the dash to snug things up. They take the dash off for various things and is not worrisome. I didn't think to check for scratches in advance of the repair but it turns out they fixed the problem and no scratches or dings anywhere. You should be fine.
I have the same problem. A "klunky" rattle in the dash right near the HUD when I drive over rough roads. Something I don't think I can live with for the life of the car (and shouldn't have to) and I don't want two other rattles introduced by them trying to fix it. It occurred to me they might access it by removing the windshield and the plastic shade over the HUD, rather than removing the entire dash. But I'm glad to hear you got yours fixed. Other than that, the car is tight as a drum and this drives me nuts.

Originally Posted by x_merc
My HUD is crooked, it's canted slightly to the right and it drives me nuts. I dropped off the vehicle last week for that, sunroof rattling noises, and suspension cracking sounds around turns. They sent me an update on Friday stating they have to remove the headliner to further diagnose the sunroof issues...still haven't heard back about the HUD yet. I'll let you know what they say. I still love the vehicle, can't wait to get it back.
You can adjust the alignment and brightness using the buttons on the left knee panel. Have you tried that?

Last edited by NooYawkuh; 07-14-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-14-2019 | 10:24 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
I have the same problem. A "klunky" rattle in the dash right near the HUD when I drive over rough roads. Something I don't think I can live with for the life of the car (and shouldn't have to) and I don't want two other rattles introduced by them trying to fix it. It occurred to me they might access it by removing the windshield and the plastic shade over the HUD, rather than removing the entire dash. But I'm glad to hear you got yours fixed. Other than that, the car is tight as a drum and this drives me nuts.

You can adjust the alignment and brightness using the buttons on the left knee panel. Have you tried that?
Yes, but that only adjusts it up or down. My HUD is crooked, that adjustment button doesn’t allow that type adjustment. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 07-14-2019 | 03:16 PM
4th Gear

It is the windshield. My dealership realized it after they replaced the HUD twice. I wasn't too happy about that as I was without my brand new car for weeks. Turns out one of the laminate layers in the windshield was off.
The following users liked this post:
Barb2019RDX (07-14-2019)
Old 07-16-2019 | 03:12 PM
Pro

I had a "blister" in my windshield that couldn't be seen when looking through it, but it appeared as a distorted spot near the top of the HUD reflection. Drove me nuts!
Old 07-23-2020 | 10:44 AM
8th Gear

HUD Problem - Out of Focus

The blurry HUD display issue. If the dealer finds it to be the windshield and I have manufacturing warranty and a 7 year or 100k warranty bumper to bumper on my RDX. Will it be covered? Any assistance with my question would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-23-2020 | 11:12 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Hector Hernandez
The blurry HUD display issue. If the dealer finds it to be the windshield and I have manufacturing warranty and a 7 year or 100k warranty bumper to bumper on my RDX. Will it be covered? Any assistance with my question would be greatly appreciated.
Acura Care wouldn't cover this (glass is excluded), but the 4/50 new vehicle limited warranty should.
Old 07-23-2020 | 04:18 PM
8th Gear

Acura Care wouldn't cover this (glass is excluded), but the 4/50 new vehicle limited warranty should.
What is the 4/50 new vehicle limited warranty?
Old 07-23-2020 | 04:21 PM
Pro

What is the 4/50 new vehicle limited warranty?
All new Acuras sold in the US come with a 4 year or 50,000-mile new vehicle limited warranty.
Old 07-23-2020 | 04:29 PM
8th Gear

Oh ok that is good to know. I do appreciate you clearing that up for me. Our Acura is a Pre-Certified Acura, so we should be covered.
Old 07-23-2020 | 04:39 PM
Pro

Oh ok that is good to know. I do appreciate you clearing that up for me. Our Acura is a Pre-Certified Acura, so we should be covered.
Glass is not covered by the Acura Certified Pre-Owned warranty. It is only covered for manufacturer defects for 4 years or 50,000 miles from the first purchase.
Old 07-23-2020 | 04:40 PM
8th Gear

So, my car has under 50k and it is only a 2019. We should be covered right?
Old 07-23-2020 | 04:45 PM
Pro

So, my car has under 50k and it is only a 2019. We should be covered right?
Actually, the new vehicle limited warranty excludes cosmetic flaws, so the dealer might try to argue that your issue is cosmetic and doesn't affect the functionality of the HUD. Hope for the best, but expect the worst.
Old 07-23-2020 | 04:47 PM
8th Gear

But, I should have good argument right. We had this car under 6 months.
Old 07-23-2020 | 08:23 PM
Advanced

In my RDX HUD gets a little fuzzy at low brightness only. At full brightness it is very sharp. I don't understand how focus and brightness are related, but I use it at full brightness even at night, so I don't do anything.
Old 07-26-2020 | 12:20 AM
3rd Gear

Hhud fix

I had my windshield replace by my dealer on my 2019 Acura RDX Advance and it’s perfect!!!!! It was the wrong (or defective) windshield for the HUD display. It cost me nothing and the windshield is PERFECT, along with the HUD display! Problem solved!!!!! Now I’m stressing about the recall for fuel pump. Not happy about that at all. No cash compensation seems unfair since Subaru had same problem and is offering cash compensation (from what I hear). My car is on recall list. I haven’t had is replaced yet. Covid keeps the car home for now.

zroger73 (07-26-2020)
Old 07-26-2020 | 08:37 AM
Retired Geezer

Originally Posted by Barb2019RDX
I had my windshield replace by my dealer on my 2019 Acura RDX Advance and it’s perfect!!!!! It was the wrong (or defective) windshield for the HUD display. It cost me nothing and the windshield is PERFECT, along with the HUD display! Problem solved!!!!! Now I’m stressing about the recall for fuel pump. Not happy about that at all. No cash compensation seems unfair since Subaru had same problem and is offering cash compensation (from what I hear). My car is on recall list. I haven’t had is replaced yet. Covid keeps the car home for now.

Barb2019RDX - Are you saying your car came from the factory with the wrong windshield?
zroger73 (07-26-2020)