Automatic parking brake defective?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 12:56 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Automatic parking brake defective?

According to the owners manual, when the automatic parking brake is enabled, the brake will turn on automatically when the vehicle is placed in park and the ignition is turned off. Additionally, after the vehicle is started and placed in Drive, the parking brake will turn off when the accelerator is pressed. My parking brake will not turn on automatically. However, after turning on manually, it will disengage after starting and placing in Drive. Does anyone else have this issue?
Old 08-25-2018, 01:08 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
Here is a copy from the manual:

■ Activating and deactivating the automatic parking brake feature

With the power mode is in ON, carry out the following steps to either activate or deactivate the automatic parking brake feature.

1. Put the transmission into (P.
2. Without depressing the brake pedal, press and release the parking brake switch.
u Check that the Parking Brake and Brake System indicator (red) has come on.
3. Press and hold the parking brake switch. When you hear a beeping sound, release the switch and within 3 seconds pull up and hold the switch again.
4. When you hear a sound indicating that the procedure is completed, release the switch.
u Two beeps indicates that the feature has been activated.
u One beep indicates that the feature has been deactivated.
u When you have completed activating the feature, the parking brake will remain applied after you turn off the engine.
u To confirm that the parking brake is applied, check if the Parking Brake and Brake System indicator (red) is on.

If you need to temporarily deactivate the feature for when putting your vehicle
through a conveyor type car wash, you can follow the procedure explained below.

1. Depress the brake pedal and bring the vehicle to a stop.
2. Set the power mode to VEHICLE OFF and then within 2 seconds pull up the parking brake switch.
u Activation and deactivation settings for the feature will not be affected.
u Before temporarily deactivating the feature, make sure to first turn off both

ACC with LSF and the automatic brake hold system.
u To confirm that the parking brake is applied, check if the Parking Brake and Brake System indicator (red) is on.

This is on page 489 of the manual and is probably easier to read there.

Hope this helps some.

Billy
Old 08-25-2018, 01:13 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Does your parking brake turn on automatically?
Old 08-25-2018, 06:45 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
I have not turned that feature on yet. I can give it a shot and see what it does.

Billy
Old 08-25-2018, 07:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd like to apply the parking brake manually but have it release automatically.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:00 AM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
My parking brake sets automatically after I activated the auto parking brake feature- it does not come activated from the factory.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:16 PM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tried the steps from billyt1963's post, but it didn't work for me. I have AWD with the technology package. Has anybody turned on auto parking brake on the same configuration yet?
Old 09-06-2018, 07:04 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
When I tried to activate my auto parking brakes, I tried the steps described by the online PDF manual. However, it didn't work. I think there's a typo. I forgot what I did totmake it to work. I think when it say "pull and hold", it meant "push and hold" or via versa.

Btw, my parking brake disengages automatically when I press on the gas. It should be by default.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Auto parking brake is something I'll never use. Living where I do having it freeze up in the winter is a very real possibility and I want to insure the only time it engages is when I specifically do it.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:15 PM
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 136 Posts
The odd thing that I noticed about the parking brake is that it uses the same switch as the TLX but, the functionality is opposite.

In the TLX, you pull to set and push to release whereas in the RDX, you push to set and pull to release.
Took me a while to get used to it.

Maybe whoever wrote the instructions for activating he Auto function got confused as well. Try reversing push and pull?
Old 09-07-2018, 05:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 125 Posts
Interesting and haven't tried this yet. The push button, for safety reasons, should be set up to PUSH for RELEASE and PULL for BRAKE. It can be very dangerous if the button gets pushed while driving and I have never seen a car operate where PUSH is BRAKE???
Old 09-07-2018, 11:40 AM
Registered TL Owner

It took me forever to figure out how to activate the auto parking brake. If you follow the steps listed above, in step 3 you need to push and hold until you hear a beep, then pull the parking brake button then PUSH and hold the button again. The instructions make it seem like you need to pull and hold.

Last edited by pnoi521; 09-07-2018 at 11:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
acuraada (09-11-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 05:11 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pnoi521
It took me forever to figure out how to activate the auto parking brake. If you follow the steps listed above, in step 3 you need to push and hold until you hear a beep, then pull the parking brake button then PUSH and hold the button again. The instructions make it seem like you need to pull and hold.
I believe you are right. I think this is what I did for step 3.

"3. Press and hold the parking brake switch. When you hear a beeping sound, release the switch and within 3 seconds **push** and hold the switch again."
Old 09-08-2018, 12:04 AM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
Electronic parking brake...... what a concept. I just hope it doesn't malfunction and engage when one is driving at highway speed. But then again, it's a "smart" car so when it wipes out and does a 180, the whole spectacle will automatically be posted on youtube and go viral.... I'll take a regular hand pulled (or less desirable pedal-pressed) "emergency" brake over this nonsense any day. And give me a regular shifter handle on the side please.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:28 AM
Intermediate

We have 2 BMWs and they both have electronic parking brakes. You have to set them but when you put the car in gear and press on the accelerator the brake releases. This works well and my wife has not said to me as we are leaving the driveway, "The brake is still on", even once. Well worth it.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:42 PM
Registered TL Owner

Originally Posted by Tom_D
We have 2 BMWs and they both have electronic parking brakes. You have to set them but when you put the car in gear and press on the accelerator the brake releases. This works well and my wife has not said to me as we are leaving the driveway, "The brake is still on", even once. Well worth it.
Parking brake on the RDX also releases once you press the accelerator- as long as your seat belt is on. It’s pretty convenient having the parking brake automatically engage and release. At this point, when I park I just turn the car off and it shifts into park and engages the parking brake- all with the press of one button.
securityguy (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 05:20 PM
Intermediate

...as long as your seat belt is on...
Yes, the seatbelt must be on for the parking brake to release automatically in the BMWs also.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 125 Posts
I just activated this feature and it works very well so I am going to keep it active.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by samiam_68
Electronic parking brake...... what a concept. I just hope it doesn't malfunction and engage when one is driving at highway speed. But then again, it's a "smart" car so when it wipes out and does a 180, the whole spectacle will automatically be posted on youtube and go viral.... I'll take a regular hand pulled (or less desirable pedal-pressed) "emergency" brake over this nonsense any day. And give me a regular shifter handle on the side please.
While you are at it, why not ask for the carb or throttle wires back? anything electronic should be a big nono for you.... need a club too?
Old 04-03-2019, 05:15 PM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
I don’t use it at all, because it still puts pressure on the parking pawl.

Unless the spot is totally flat, like Florida flat, and the car doesn’t roll if left in neutral with the footbrake off, applying the brake after the car is put in park puts pressure on the pawl.

Since my driveway has a slope, when I park in the driveway, my sequence is, apply foot brake, put car in neutral, apply parking brake, release foot brake, when car settles, put it in Park. When starting off, apply foot brake, put car in reverse, release parking brake, move.

When the car goes in the garage, where it is level, I just put it in park. No pressure on the pawl.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:16 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by samiam_68
Ever try to bring a car to a stop using a cable-actuated emergency/parking brake? I doubt this would do much better (if as well), even if it did activate when it wasn't s'posed ta. You might not even notice.

The only downside I see to the electronic parking brake is the battery draw. Whatever that might be; I don't know.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Parking brake on the RDX also releases once you press the accelerator- as long as your seat belt is on. It’s pretty convenient having the parking brake automatically engage and release. At this point, when I park I just turn the car off and it shifts into park and engages the parking brake- all with the press of one button.
Throw in the walk away locking feature and leaving one's car gets a whole lot simpler
Old 04-04-2019, 01:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by NJMaverick
Throw in the walk away locking feature and leaving one's car gets a whole lot simpler
whats what I do, I just stop hit the button to turn the car off and it parks the tranny and parking brake enables, when I get in to leave I start the car, go to drive and give it gas and it disables for me, so easy
Old 04-04-2019, 04:04 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Dereileak
whats what I do, I just stop hit the button to turn the car off and it parks the tranny and parking brake enables, when I get in to leave I start the car, go to drive and give it gas and it disables for me, so easy
Exactly! I was having a "discussion" with another poster in a different thread about this. I gave up trying to convince that poster how easy and safe it is.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:30 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by catbert430
The odd thing that I noticed about the parking brake is that it uses the same switch as the TLX but, the functionality is opposite.

In the TLX, you pull to set and push to release whereas in the RDX, you push to set and pull to release.
Took me a while to get used to it.

Maybe whoever wrote the instructions for activating he Auto function got confused as well. Try reversing push and pull?
I found it made it a lot easier to think of how the "old' parking brakes were applied. With the RDX it was the foot pedal, so pushing it down to the floor set the brake, and when it was released the pedal gets pulled back towards the driver. Same concept but reversed for the TLX, you would pull up on the handbrake to set and push it back down to release.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:41 AM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I don’t use it at all, because it still puts pressure on the parking pawl.

Unless the spot is totally flat, like Florida flat, and the car doesn’t roll if left in neutral with the footbrake off, applying the brake after the car is put in park puts pressure on the pawl.

Since my driveway has a slope, when I park in the driveway, my sequence is, apply foot brake, put car in neutral, apply parking brake, release foot brake, when car settles, put it in Park. When starting off, apply foot brake, put car in reverse, release parking brake, move.

When the car goes in the garage, where it is level, I just put it in park. No pressure on the pawl.
Madd Dog's way is the best way to set/release brake when there is an incline in my opinion. I tried a few different ways with and without the automatic brake and the way Madd Dog describes above has no clunks (can you say wear and tear?) from the incline. I am adopting this approach.
Madd Dog (04-09-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 02:40 PM
Registered TL Owner

Originally Posted by gtssenior
Madd Dog's way is the best way to set/release brake when there is an incline in my opinion. I tried a few different ways with and without the automatic brake and the way Madd Dog describes above has no clunks (can you say wear and tear?) from the incline. I am adopting this approach.
When I’m ready to park I hit the Start/Stop button and hold the brakes until the parking brake actually engages that way it doesn’t roll back.

My order of operation for driving is putting car in gear > release parking brake > disable auto start/stop

Last edited by pnoi521; 04-10-2019 at 02:42 PM.
JB in AZ (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 03:46 PM
Drifting

When I’m ready to park I hit the Start/Stop button and hold the brakes until the parking brake actually engages that way it doesn’t roll back.

Exactly what I do. Car in Park, and parking brake set. Easy, safe.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:49 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by gtssenior
Even with an incline, I have my foot on the brake until the parking brake is engaged anyway....the vehicle isn't going anywhere.