Acuralink: Problem entering destination

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 03:04 PM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Acuralink: Problem entering destination

I just tried the “send destination to car” function of Acuralink for the first time. During entry, the box into which the destination is typed was about 2/3 obscured, leaving only the very tops of the letters visible. I’m running the app on an iPhone XS Max with iOS 12.

Has anyone else seen this?
Old 03-04-2019, 03:06 PM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
Everyone with an iPhone is seeing this. I have sent Acura a screen recording of this and they say they are working on it. Hopefully it will be resolved in the next app update.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:49 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
The iOS app is awful. It hasn’t been updated in 5 months. I’ve been on the phone many times with support. Mine keeps loosing any favorites I add or delete. If I add a new favorite or delete one, after a few weeks, when it requires me to log in again, all my favorites revert back to what was saved last summer. They’ve had me uninstall, reinstall, etc., but nothing works. I’m so frustrated with it I decided to not even pay for the buggy remote start.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:30 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
I haven't been able to get the app to work at all. Nothing but that 'system error' message whenever I put in my PIN.

I remember when I registered the app, there was a place to enter a 6-digit code but I wasn't in the car at the time so I had no code. Then, the first time I paired my phone, the car received a message with the 6-digit code which was supposed to be good for 48 hours. But now, I can't find where to enter it. Not in the app or the OwnerLink site.

I'll have to call them today.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:21 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by tangible
I just tried the “send destination to car” function of Acuralink for the first time. During entry, the box into which the destination is typed was about 2/3 obscured, leaving only the very tops of the letters visible. I’m running the app on an iPhone XS Max with iOS 12.

I found that if I copy the text from another app (Notes, Safari, Google Maps) and paste into the field I can get the information I need.

A pain in the butt work around, but works none the less
Old 03-05-2019, 11:47 AM
Skeptic

I just spent an hour on the phone with Acura Care, sitting in the car. Uninstalled the app, disconnected and deleted device pairs from both the vehicle and the phone. Re-installed the app, paired the phone to the vehicle again.

Still can't get any of the remote functions to work. She was at her wit's end. All she could suggest is to check with the dealer.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:34 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Odd. Works for me, both on my iPad and my iPhone 6.

In general, though, the app is fairly pathetic.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:36 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Odd. Works for me, both on my iPad and my iPhone 6
9/10 my AcuraLink works as advertised. 4/10, my MercedesMe works.

Acura 1, Mercedes 0
Old 03-05-2019, 12:46 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
I only started having this problem when I went from the iPhone X to the Xs Max.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:01 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
I just spent an hour on the phone with Acura Care, sitting in the car. Uninstalled the app, disconnected and deleted device pairs from both the vehicle and the phone. Re-installed the app, paired the phone to the vehicle again.

Still can't get any of the remote functions to work. She was at her wit's end. All she could suggest is to check with the dealer.
Make sure you allow data collection in the app and in the car. I had the same issue until someone on the board pointed that out. It's been working fine after that. In the app it's under support/vehicle data collection.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:59 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by pnoi521

Right there is your problem: too frequent upgrades. You gotta keep that phone until, at least the iPhone XII, or ‘the Twelfth of Never’, however they name it.

Don’t jump on the first 5G you see either.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 03-05-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:35 PM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by 97ws6
Make sure you allow data collection in the app and in the car. I had the same issue until someone on the board pointed that out. It's been working fine after that. In the app it's under support/vehicle data collection.
Data collection is apparently enabled according to both the phone and the vehicle. I do get the correct status displayed in the app - mileage, gas gauge, maintenance. Those values update correctly every time I start the app. But not tire pressure. That has never registered in the app but does on the dash. Maybe it's a logic or sequencing thing or maybe it has something to do with the Bluetooth pairing, although I can't think of why. Bluetooth should only matter if I'm in or near the vehicle.

I also can't get the vehicle to connect to my home wifi network and the router is literally a few feet from the car. Maybe I'm missing something stoopid but I'm not a technical neophyte. I wonder what people do who are not tech-savvy. Most probably don't bother. I'd be pleasantly surprised to find someone at the dealer who knows more about it than I do.

Or may there's something on the car that's just plain broke. That, I have no way of knowing. I'm making a list for my first visit to the dealer. Can't get the front camera to work either.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:28 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
... Can't get the front camera to work either.
You know it only works up to about 12-15mph, right?
Old 03-05-2019, 09:04 PM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
You know it only works up to about 12-15mph, right?
Won't work in Park. The side cameras work and the rear camera works in Reverse but when I press the button, and select the front camera, all I get is a message "Camera System Failure". I think I'm supposed to have two views - normal and wide. Am I supposed to be able to select the rear camera manually? I only see it when the car's in Reverse.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:01 AM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by pnoi521
I have a XS Max. My wife has a XR, with a smaller screen. We both have the problem.

While developers do need to adjust their apps to take full advantage of the new screen geometry, even old apps are supposed to be fully functional. Acuralink is the only app I’ve had this kind of trouble with, and I use dozens. It’s inconceivable that they wouldn’t test their major functions on the latest generation of phones. Most of the infotainment bugs we’ve experienced are intermittent and may be hard to reproduce. This one is not.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:23 PM
Skeptic

I have a XS Max. My wife has a XR, with a smaller screen. We both have the problem.

While developers do need to adjust their apps to take full advantage of the new screen geometry, even old apps are supposed to be fully functional. Acuralink is the only app I’ve had this kind of trouble with, and I use dozens. It’s inconceivable that they wouldn’t test their major functions on the latest generation of phones. Most of the infotainment bugs we’ve experienced are intermittent and may be hard to reproduce. This one is not.

On android, the app has 2 out of 5 stars on Google Play. It simply doesn't work for MOST android users. I'm in that majority. The customer support rep was able to honk the horn while I was on the phone with her, so there's nothing wrong with the car, but I still can't execute any remote functions from my phone. I have a tech support case in the works and I'm waiting to hear back from their "engineering team" in a day or two but I don't expect a successful resolution. Not until AcuraLink gets serious about developing and testing a marketable app. Shameful.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:59 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog

Right there is your problem: too frequent upgrades. You gotta keep that phone until, at least the iPhone XII, or ‘the Twelfth of Never’, however they name it.

Don’t jump on the first 5G you see either.
I made the mistake of going from an iPhone 6s Plus to the X. Didn’t like the smaller screen and mostly needed the Xs Max for the physically larger battery. I hated having to charge my iPhone X mid-day...every day. If it wasn’t for those two reasons I would have never wasted money by going from the X to Xs.
Old 09-26-2021, 02:01 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=tangible;16392619]

[/

Hi i have a iphone XS ios 14. cant seem to find the acuralink navigation app in the app store. any advise/info you can pass on? please and thanks
Old 09-26-2021, 06:37 AM
OG

Received 162 Likes on 100 Posts
[QUOTE=alwayne;16759909]

[/

Hi i have a iphone XS ios 14. cant seem to find the acuralink navigation app in the app store. any advise/info you can pass on? please and thanks
the address function is in the acuralink app not a standalone
Old 09-28-2021, 05:43 PM
Skeptic

I've only used the send destination to car feature twice, just to see if it works. It worked fine for me but there's no way in the app to clear the history. So, they just accumulate? Dumb. I've even sent feedback to AcuraLink a couple times and they still haven't fixed it. Same two destinations have been in the app more than two years.

Running Android on a Samsung Galaxy S10.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:59 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
I use this feature a lot, always have. And, as I do use it I have too often been a victim of its foibles. One time it will work fine, next it refuses. I have tried repeated to figure out what the secret steps are to make it work 100%. Most often I just try it three or four times and suddenly it works. On rare occasions it works the first time. As for places saved in the car's GPS, those are on a list and can be deleted fairly easily. However, as mentioned, the map feature on the Acura app on my phone seems to save places with no way to delete them. I have tried everything I can think of and can find no method for clearing them out. Its a software issue.