Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Why I absolutely love Microsoft

Old 05-30-2006, 02:15 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Astroboy
who the fuck goes to best buy or compusa to buy software anymore??

buy it online, and download. save the wasteful packaging and BS employees man.

I can't recall the last time I bought software in a store... if ever?!

Games maybe. I've bought games in stores.

But since you mention CompUSA, they're actually one of Apple's larger retailers. The CompUSA near me has at least 25% of the store dedicated to Mac products.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by soopa
First, workflow is improved drastically going to OSX from Windows... no matter the application.

Second, there's Lightroom & Aperture. Two essential tools for the modern photographer.

Third, you're right... there's little difference in the capabilities of Photoshop in Windows or OSX. However, Photoshop is better executed on OSX. There are greater workflow improvements and better integration with the operating system and 3rd party apps.

Fourth, the OSX UI provides a more neautral backdrop for anyone working with color in design or photography.

Fifth, OSX offers native color calibration and management as well as superior 3rd party color management. I'm sure with expensive software/hardware you could get decent color management in Windows too, but I never could.

Sixth, community. The Professional Photography community is primarily occupied by Apple users. Read some of their opinions on using a Mac: http://www.apple.com/pro/profiles/

Seventh, Native support for RAW.

Eighth, driverless camera support. Plug any camera, any card, anything into your Mac and it will work.

Ninth, try it. Surely you know a fellow photographer who uses a Mac. Robb even. Sit down with them and watch their workflow, then take it for a spin. You'll know why you need a Mac then.

Agree with everything but the aperature comment. Most pro's i know use MAC with Adobe, I get the feeling Aperature is going to need alot more adoption time.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:16 PM
The Creator

Originally Posted by eclipse23
There's also these things called APPLE stores, they have a great selection of software. Like any other product, apple will only pay so much to get shelfspace in big stores especially when they have their own retail locations.
LOL, that too. Could always just go to the Apple store.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:18 PM
The Creator

Agree with everything but the aperature comment. Most pro's i know use MAC with Adobe, I get the feeling Aperature is going to need alot more adoption time.
hmm? Aperture is a compliment to Adobe products.

Right now, Lightroom isn't in full production. Maybe then I agree with your statement. But currently nearly every professional I know is using Aperture for asset management at least.

Editing is still done in Photoshop.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:19 PM
The Creator

Good read:

Color Management in Tiger
http://images.apple.com/pro/pdf/Color_Mgmt_inTiger.pdf
Old 05-30-2006, 02:20 PM
The Creator

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Software...I know soopa will say that there are plenty of titles for the Mac, but go to any Best Buy or Compusa and the Mac area is still only a shelf or two.
I'd challenge you to find me any software (that isn't a game) for Windows that doesn't have an OSX equivalent, superior, or alternative.

There's an app for every purpose and more on OSX.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:24 PM
The Creator

Ah, and I forgot Automator... an essential complement to a productive photographic workflow.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
hmm? Aperture is a compliment to Adobe products.

Right now, Lightroom isn't in full production. Maybe then I agree with your statement. But currently nearly every professional I know is using Aperture for asset management at least.

Editing is still done in Photoshop.

In terms of it's 'anywhere to anywhere' features with drag and drop it's great for moving around pictures and creating a pallet of good shots to work with, I also thought the fullscreen option was better than the Cntrl +/- dance I've done in PS.
Apple's own words were that it's an all in one post production application. It still limits where and how many DB's you can create in the app (one of our designers tried aperature but eventually just went back to older methods). It's definitely, from what I could have seen the coolest asset manager for photos since you literaly can cut through hundreds of shots and pull out your good ones but the editing (at least from what i've seen) is still done in adobe. But yes, i could definitely see you using aperature as your file cabinet, point taken.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:30 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
First, workflow is improved drastically going to OSX from Windows... no matter the application.

Second, there's Lightroom & Aperture. Two essential tools for the modern photographer.

Third, you're right... there's little difference in the capabilities of Photoshop in Windows or OSX. However, Photoshop is better executed on OSX. There are greater workflow improvements and better integration with the operating system and 3rd party apps.

Fourth, the OSX UI provides a more neautral backdrop for anyone working with color in design or photography.

Fifth, OSX offers native color calibration and management as well as superior 3rd party color management. I'm sure with expensive software/hardware you could get decent color management in Windows too, but I never could.

Sixth, community. The Professional Photography community is primarily occupied by Apple users. Read some of their opinions on using a Mac: http://www.apple.com/pro/profiles/

Seventh, Native support for RAW.

Eighth, driverless camera support. Plug any camera, any card, anything into your Mac and it will work.

Ninth, try it. Surely you know a fellow photographer who uses a Mac. Robb even. Sit down with them and watch their workflow, then take it for a spin. You'll know why you need a Mac then.
Photoshop has all the photo editing capabilities that I need, but what would be really helpful to me is a solid Digital Assets Management package, preferably built into the OS. I would love to be able to click File -> Open and be able to search for my photos using metadata. Version control would also be valuable to me, but I have only seen that on high-end DAM packages.

I think what it will take is for me to try a current MacBook Pro for week and see how it fits with what I do. Maybe my old computer shop will let me break one in for them.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:31 PM
The Creator

Alot of Adobe fans here. So lets check out Adobe's Photography Center...
http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/ps_pro.html

Check the movies, the whitepapers, the interviews... notice anything?

Yep, everyone is using a Mac.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,989 Likes on 5,142 Posts
Originally Posted by JimmyCarter
VHS or Beta?
Xbox or PlayStation?
Old 05-30-2006, 02:34 PM
The Creator

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Photoshop has all the photo editing capabilities that I need, but what would be really helpful to me is a solid Digital Assets Management package, preferably built into the OS. I would love to be able to click File -> Open and be able to search for my photos using metadata. Version control would also be valuable to me, but I have only seen that on high-end DAM packages.

I think what it will take is for me to try a current MacBook Pro for week and see how it fits with what I do. Maybe my old computer shop will let me break one in for them.
OSX has that.

It's called HFS+ and Spotlight.

Tie that in with Automator and maybe Quicksilver and you've got customizable native asset management that doesn't require you to ever leave your keyboard. Mouse what?

iPhoto and Aperture both have version control and Photoshop support baked-in.

I know you think iPhoto is an amateur tool, and that's how it comes across. It's cute and clean, however there are many SERIOUS photographers using it as a first stop in their workflow.

It may not be for you, but it's an option with some serious benefits. Don't write it off because they may not be initially apparent.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:35 PM
Senior Moderator

From my use of Macs in the past, it always seemed pretty clear to me that Macs produce on-screen color better than PC's. Namely, color transitions in images are smoother and consequently pictures look more "life-like". Does this still hold true today? Or have the newer PC video cards caught up.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:36 PM
The Creator

Originally Posted by srika
From my use of Macs in the past, it always seemed pretty clear to me that Macs reproduce on-screen color better than PC's. Namely, color transitions in images are smoother and consequently pictures look more "life-like". Does this still hold true today? Or have the newer PC video cards caught up.
Mac is still far superior thanks to CoreImage.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:37 PM
Photography Nerd

It's definitely, from what I could have seen the coolest asset manager for photos since you literaly can cut through hundreds of shots and pull out your good ones but the editing (at least from what i've seen) is still done in adobe.
Yes, that part I liked the most. Conventional file folders just aren't well adapted to managing large photo collections. The only downside I saw was that Aperture seemed to be very slow even on a dual-G5 when working with several photos from a shoot. To be fair, it might just be as slow on a PC if a similar program existed. It would just be something to get used to.

Basically, I want the asset management side of Aperture to be built into the OS so it's not another program I have to run to get to what I want to do. The goal for me is to edit photos, not to find them. Anything I can do to streamline that process is valuable to me.
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Im gonna go buy a Mac ,now make me a mod

The Creator

Maybe register for this seminar:

Mac OSX Tiger: The Ultimate Platform for Photography
http://seminars.apple.com/seminarson...ndex.html?s=50
Old 05-30-2006, 02:39 PM
Photography Nerd

OSX has that.

It's called HFS+ and Spotlight.

Tie that in with Automator and maybe Quicksilver and you've got customizable native asset management that doesn't require you to ever leave your keyboard. Mouse what?

iPhoto and Aperture both have version control and Photoshop support baked-in.

I know you think iPhoto is an amateur tool, and that's how it comes across. It's cute and clean, however there are many SERIOUS photographers using it as a first stop in their workflow.

It may not be for you, but it's an option with some serious benefits. Don't write it off because they may not be initially apparent.
This is all very interesting to me. I'll definitely look for those features.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:39 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
From my use of Macs in the past, it always seemed pretty clear to me that Macs reproduce on-screen color better than PC's. Namely, color transitions in images are smoother and consequently pictures look more "life-like". Does this still hold true today? Or have the newer PC video cards caught up.
no. my buddy works for a video supplier to apple; the chips they now supply them are not what can be considered 'top of the line' accoriding to him. not sure if that's a blanket statement that applies to everything or just their lower end products, but apparently it's not a 'given' like it used to be.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:40 PM
Pit Stop?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, since there are so many mods in this thread, can you go over to the manly one and ban the assclowns giving away fucking xmen spoilers totally unprovoked. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:41 PM
The Creator

Yes, that part I liked the most. Conventional file folders just aren't well adapted to managing large photo collections. The only downside I saw was that Aperture seemed to be very slow even on a dual-G5 when working with several photos from a shoot. To be fair, it might just be as slow on a PC if a similar program existed. It would just be something to get used to.

Basically, I want the asset management side of Aperture to be built into the OS so it's not another program I have to run to get to what I want to do. The goal for me is to edit photos, not to find them. Anything I can do to streamline that process is valuable to me.
Like I said, it's built-in.

OSX offers incredible file management paired with meta-aware file system and the infinetely extensible instant search that is Spotlight (which is baked into Photoshop on OSX).

With few more then a couple keystrokes you could do everything and anything you need to manage your photos.

For even more capabilities, use Quicksilver... which sits in the background and will make you feel like you're Tom Cruise in Minority Report.

On Aperture, the latest builds essentially require Intel-macs. So it's no surprise it'd be slow on a Dual G5.

If you don't like Aperture, why not use Lightroom? It's Adobe's answer to Aperture and the evolution of asset management in Creative Suite.

Right now it's only available for OSX>
Old 05-30-2006, 02:42 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Mac is still far superior thanks to CoreImage.
core image is more of a speed related item from what i've read.
The Creator

Originally Posted by Minch00
Hey, since there are so many mods in this thread, can you go over to the manly one and ban the assclowns giving away fucking xmen spoilers totally unprovoked. Thanks.
No. I haven't seen the movie yet
Senior Moderator

hmmm. I just did some quick reading on Coreimage - which I didn't know existed until a few minutes ago - and it seems it has more to do with the way it uses the video card, rather than the chip on the video card. i.e. both PC and Mac can have the same video card but images will look better on the Mac just because of the way it uses the video card. So I don't think this is an issue of chips on the video card... ?
Old 05-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Photography Nerd

Maybe register for this seminar:

Mac OSX Tiger: The Ultimate Platform for Photography
http://seminars.apple.com/seminarson...ndex.html?s=50
Looks good, but I'll bring my tinfoil hat to block the mind control waves.

I'll look for a "Windows Vista: The best platform for web development" course for you to take...

Kidding aside, I'll check it out.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Pit Stop?

No. I haven't seen the movie yet

What if I just give you their names?
Old 05-30-2006, 02:45 PM
The Creator

Originally Posted by zeroday
core image is more of a speed related item from what i've read.
Core Image, ColorSync, and Quartz all play an integral role in what makes the display of OSX superior to all others. He mentioned how smooth gradients are in OSX vs Windows... all of these technologies play a piece in making this happen.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:46 PM
The Creator

Looks good, but I'll bring my tinfoil hat to block the mind control waves.
You'd have to keep your eyes closed... seeing is believing

I'll look for a "Windows Vista: The best platform for web development" course for you to take...
If only it existed I wouldn't have had to spend $3000 on my latest machine
Old 05-30-2006, 02:47 PM
The Creator

What if I just give you their names?
sure
Old 05-30-2006, 02:49 PM
Pit Stop?

sure

ludachrisvt, mamboking, jj4short

and SwervinCL for making fun.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:49 PM
Photography Nerd

Like I said, it's built-in.

OSX offers incredible file management paired with meta-aware file system and the infinetely extensible instant search that is Spotlight (which is baked into Photoshop on OSX).

With few more then a couple keystrokes you could do everything and anything you need to manage your photos.

For even more capabilities, use Quicksilver... which sits in the background and will make you feel like you're Tom Cruise in Minority Report.

On Aperture, the latest builds essentially require Intel-macs. So it's no surprise it'd be slow on a Dual G5.

If you don't like Aperture, why not use Lightroom? It's Adobe's answer to Aperture and the evolution of asset management in Creative Suite.

Right now it's only available for OSX>
I was unaware of those features in OSX and it sounds good.

My main concern about speed was that I'm only interested in a laptop. I hope the single CoreDuo will be up to the task of running aperture or lightroom effectively.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:50 PM
The Creator

hmmm. I just did some quick reading on Coreimage - which I didn't know existed until a few minutes ago - and it seems it has more to do with the way it uses the video card, rather than the chip on the video card. i.e. both PC and Mac can have the same video card but images will look better on the Mac just because of the way it uses the video card. So I don't think this is an issue of chips on the video card... ?
Honestly, I don't know. That's more the hardware-nerd department.

I suppose Core Image would be best compared to DirectX.

This is why Microsoft is making a hard push for DirectX 10 on Vista, so they can copy OSX's effects... like Expose.

I imagine this is also partly why they can't make DX10 compatible with XP. This is why so many games will now be "Vista-only" titles.

Again though, I'll leave this one to you gaming/hardware geeks.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:51 PM
The Creator

I was unaware of those features in OSX and it sounds good.

My main concern about speed was that I'm only interested in a laptop. I hope the single CoreDuo will be up to the task of running aperture or lightroom effectively.
Apple''s MacBook Pro's are currently the fastest machines in their line-up.

I have the 2.16ghz Core Duo (17" MacBook Pro [yep, a laptop])... it doesn't get any faster.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:59 PM
Senior Moderator

How about we ban you until you see the movie.. Then we'll unban..

deal.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:59 PM
Photography Nerd

Apple''s MacBook Pro's are currently the fastest machines in their line-up.

I have the 2.16ghz Core Duo (17" MacBook Pro [yep, a laptop])... it doesn't get any faster.
I would probably be looking at the 15" for portability. Is there much of a performance difference between the 2ghz and the 2.16ghz models, assuming they had the same amount of RAM?
Old 05-30-2006, 03:08 PM
The Creator

I would probably be looking at the 15" for portability. Is there much of a performance difference between the 2ghz and the 2.16ghz models, assuming they had the same amount of RAM?
I've no idea, you'd have to look at the benchmarks. However, for the extra $400 I'd upgrade to the 2.16ghz 15" model. It comes with a 1GB stick (meaning you only need to spend another $100 to max it out) and it's a free upgrade to the 7200RPM HD (versus $200 for the 2.0ghz model).

Of all things, I'd think the faster (7200rpm vs 5400rpm) hard drive will give the biggest performance gain when working with photos and Photoshop.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:08 PM
The Creator

* noting all that, it means the 2.16ghz processor is only $100 more than the 2.0ghz. And for $100, why not get the fastest?
Old 05-30-2006, 03:12 PM
The Creator

Also, if you don't have a large LCD at home... I'd either get one or go for the 17" model. The small sacrifice in form factor (2 inches and 1 lb) is well worth the greater screen real estate.

I went for the 17" specifically for working in Photoshop. The 15" I used to have was just a little too low of resolution to comfortably fit Photoshop's palettes. The 17" resolution is perfect.

Granted, I have a large LCD on my desk... but I wanted to be able to work just as productively away from home.

So far, so good. I'm not regretting the choice.

But, you can't go wrong with the 15" either. I loved mine. Just noting the differences and the realities.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:19 PM
Team Owner

You are such a little bitch.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:19 PM
The Creator

Originally Posted by Always Dirty
You are such a little bitch.