Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Why I absolutely love Microsoft

Old 05-30-2006, 12:04 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by soopa

Let's pick an ideology. Fascism anyone?
i smell r&p...im outa here
Old 05-30-2006, 12:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My thoughts..

Microsoft must attempt to make OS idiot proof but also attempt to make it for the techy people.

Apple can gear towards crazy tech people but has always geared towards ease of use.

And now with the dual boot or whatever you guys argued about last week can now leave the idiots on the Microsoft OS and make everyone happy..

And the world will be a better place..
Old 05-30-2006, 12:11 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Billiam
If you consider the respective applications out there for the two platforms, I've always been under the impression that Apple's base of installed apps was mostly comprised of boxed software whereas Microsoft's was mostly comprised of home grown code from its customers. This is what enabled Apple to work closely with the key devlopers to pull off things like Rosetta. If Microsoft's installed base of applications was just Office and CAD programs, then yes I think they might have been able to pull off Rosetta. Well... under different management they might have.
Huh? No way.

That's a huge part of the reason I love OSX, the active 3rd party software community. The only Apple-app I use regularly is iCal. Out of the 20 or so Applications on my dock. Only iCal and iTunes are Apple-made... and I think you'd find the same with alot of Apple users.

Beyond that, pretty much the only big-name-software-house app I use regularly is Adobe CS.

Other than that almost every app I and most apple users I know use are created by small 1-app developers.

The difference is Apple stimulates and encourages their small developers with things such as the Apple Design Awards at the Apple Developer Conference.

90% of the small apps I use were converted to Universal binaries within weeks of Apple's intel announcement.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Now can someone tell me what the fuck you guys were talking about last week with " Ubuntu ?"
Old 05-30-2006, 12:15 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
huh?
Just pointing out that Google uses the term "Beta" pretty loosly.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:17 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jonesi
Now can someone tell me what the fuck you guys were talking about last week with " Ubuntu ?"
hippy version of linux...but dont remember it being brought up.
The Creator

Originally Posted by Whiskers
yeah, Google has pretty much trademarked "BETA".

point?
Senior Moderator

Safety net..
Old 05-30-2006, 12:20 PM
The Creator

Huh? No way.

That's a huge part of the reason I love OSX, the active 3rd party software community. The only Apple-app I use regularly is iCal. Out of the 20 or so Applications on my dock. Only iCal and iTunes are Apple-made... and I think you'd find the same with alot of Apple users.

Beyond that, pretty much the only big-name-software-house app I use regularly is Adobe CS.

Other than that almost every app I and most apple users I know use are created by small 1-app developers.

The difference is Apple stimulates and encourages their small developers with things such as the Apple Design Awards at the Apple Developer Conference.

90% of the small apps I use were converted to Universal binaries within weeks of Apple's intel announcement.
My Dock:

Acquisition X - Small Independent Developer
Adium - Small Independent Developer
Camino - Open Source
Firefox - Open Source
NewsFire - Small Independent Developer
TextMate - Small Independent Developer
CocoaMySQL - Open Source
Photoshop - Big Sofware Developer
OmniGraffle Pro - Big Software Developer
Transmit - Small Independent Developer
iTunes - Apple
iCal - Apple
Flickr Uploadr - Small Independent Developer
Colloquy - Small Independent Developer

Apple: 2
Big Software: 2
Open Source: 3
Small Software: 7
Total: 14

OSX = Small, Agile, Independent software "companies".
Old 05-30-2006, 12:21 PM
Feeds pigs bacon

i fix computers 50 hours a week. it really really makes me want to get a mac.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Go Giants

yeah, Google has pretty much trademarked "BETA".

point?
My point is that Microsoft can easily release software on time with the permininant "beta" tag (like Google). But they decide not to (yes, I understand one is free and the other is not)..
Old 05-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,073 Likes on 5,164 Posts
Those are Beta versions of IE7 and Vista. The final versions will be ALL fixed and 100% problem-free.

damn the end must be near, I'm sticking up for Windows...

serious though, tell me about Vista, I hope they have made a change to the GUI I have been waiting for since, well, PC Tools days? When you drag-drop to copy/move a group of files files between drives, does it give you a running tally of number of files to show the progress? i.e. "File xx/xx". I could never understand why current Windows still only shows you that stupid progress bar. I want NUMBERS.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:26 PM
The Creator

My point is that Microsoft can easily release software on time with the permininant "beta" tag (like Google). But they decide not to (yes, I understand one is free and the other is not)..
I don't think there's any relation.

One, there's a huge difference between an Operating System and a Web Application.

An Operating System goes bad, your life goes bad. Google has a hiccup, so what?

Example, Google's "beta" means, "a page might take a second to load sometime". Microsoft's beta means "it might crash and take all your data with it".
Old 05-30-2006, 12:26 PM
Senior Moderator

holy shit Im a little late to the game. :< my bad.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:27 PM
The Creator

Originally Posted by srika
Those are Beta versions of IE7 and Vista. The final versions will be ALL fixed and 100% problem-free.
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH AHAHA

serious though, tell me about Vista, I hope they have made a change to the GUI I have been waiting for since, well, PC Tools days? When you drag-drop to copy/move a group of files files between drives, does it give you a running tally of number of files to show the progress? i.e. "File xx/xx". I could never understand why current Windows still only shows you that stupid progress bar. I want NUMBERS.
OSX gives you numbers
Old 05-30-2006, 12:28 PM
Go Giants

I don't think there's any relation.

One, there's a huge difference between an Operating System and a Web Application.

An Operating System goes bad, your life goes bad. Google has a hiccup, so what?

Example, Google's "beta" means, "a page might take a second to load sometime". Microsoft's beta means "it might crash and take all your data with it".
Congrats, you just figured out why Microsoft pushes back it's release dates so often....
Old 05-30-2006, 12:31 PM
The Creator

Congrats, you just figured out why Microsoft pushes back it's release dates so often....
I'm glad you normally stay out of these threads cuz you suck at them

OF COURSE I KNOW WHY MICROSOFT DELAYS!

THEY CANT GET THEIR SHIT TOGETHER ON TIME!

Now, back to a real comparison... Apple & Microsoft...

Since Microsoft's initial delay of Vista, Apple has released 3 stable major revisions of OSX. All of which have included features that Microsoft is trying desperately to incorporate into Vista.

Expose, Quartz, Spotlight... Microsoft is trying to copy ALL of them and more.

They're delaying not only because they can't get their shit together, but because they have a complete lack of innovation. They're not coming up with their own ideas, they're copying others and trying to execute them better... which they can't.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Point half-taken on the 3rd party dev popularity. If you set aside Adobe, Macromedia, and Digidesign, how many of those 3rd party developers are making applications that would be considered mission-critical to a typical Mac user in a business? FWIW that's the type of deployed application base that I was thinking of in my initial comparison.

Regardless of how pervasive the software base is for either platform, Apple obviously works infinitely better with its developers than M$ does. And when it comes to forethought for the development community they're barely in the same sport, let alone the same ballpark.

Minor
Are there any tech resources out there that are useful for learning about Macs living in M$ networking environment? I have a gory wireless authentication question that I've never been able to find the answer to.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Race Director

They're not coming up with their own ideas, they're copying others and trying to execute them better... which they can't.
Do you have any proof of this? I mean proof that the delays are due to them trying to copy apple...

Personally I think it's good that they aren't releasing until they get it right. Since the majority of the free world uses windows, the potential for security problems in this new OS is a really scary thing (talking about home users since corporate america will wait a year or so to use it). I'd rather have them put it off until they have more confidence in it. Their biggest problem here was overpromising and under delivering on a release date.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Not to mention they have what like 6 different versions of the OS/?? For what reason I don't know..
Old 05-30-2006, 12:42 PM
Go Giants

I'm glad you normally stay out of these threads cuz you suck at them
Arguing with a Mac fanatic is sort of like trying to get a response from Water-s....
Old 05-30-2006, 12:43 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

OF COURSE I KNOW WHY MICROSOFT DELAYS!

THEY CANT GET THEIR SHIT TOGETHER ON TIME!
I'm sure Apple has had a bazillion delays of their own. We just never hear about them because it's more or less their corporate policy not to announce anything until its actually done. Which, by the way, is a much more end-user friendly way of dealing with your customers.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:44 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by zeroday
Do you have any proof of this? I mean proof that the delays are due to them trying to copy apple...

Personally I think it's good that they aren't releasing until they get it right. Since the majority of the free world uses windows, the potential for security problems in this new OS is a really scary thing (talking about home users since corporate america will wait a year or so to use it). I'd rather have them put it off until they have more confidence in it. Their biggest problem here was overpromising and under delivering on a release date.
Believe me, if Apple has the same type of pressure on them, there would be delays on their end as well...
Old 05-30-2006, 12:48 PM
The Creator

Originally Posted by Billiam
Point half-taken on the 3rd party dev popularity. If you set aside Adobe, Macromedia, and Digidesign, how many of those 3rd party developers are making applications that would be considered mission-critical to a typical Mac user in a business? FWIW that's the type of deployed application base that I was thinking of in my initial comparison.

Regardless of how pervasive the software base is for either platform, Apple obviously works infinitely better with its developers than M$ does. And when it comes to forethought for the development community they're barely in the same sport, let alone the same ballpark.

Minor
Are there any tech resources out there that are useful for learning about Macs living in M$ networking environment? I have a gory wireless authentication question that I've never been able to find the answer to.
You think Photoshop is the only mission critical software to Apple users?

Of the apps I mentioned, Photoshop is indeed one I couldn't live without.

However, without Transmit & Textmate especially I'd be equally cripled. Nearly every HTML/Ruby/PHP developer on OSX uses Textmate.

In other niche's there's even more essential 3rd party apps.

Nevertheless, for all of the above, there are lesser alternatives. Gimp for Photoshop, bbEdit or some crap for Textmate.

You mention Digidesign, but in the Audio field there are many incredibly popular small apps. I'm not involved, so I can't name them off my head.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Senior Moderator

SX gives you numbers
FAWK. damn osx....

btw... OSX's built-in on-screen coercive subliminal flash message system (OSCSFMS) seems to be doing wonders on you, you've been steadily turning into quite the Mac soldier. Your conviction grows stronger by night and steadier by day. You heard about those subliminal messages, right?
Old 05-30-2006, 12:51 PM
The Creator

Believe me, if Apple has the same type of pressure on them, there would be delays on their end as well...
Apple has greater pressure - their relevance and livlihood.

Microsoft is and will always be dominant. They're flooded with surplus reserves. They could rename Vista "Microsoft FuckingHatesYou1.0" and they'd still be ahead of the game... there would still be people buying Windows computers.

If Apple released a series of OS's with problem after problem you'd see their popularity dwindle fast and sure. Just like we saw in the past. That's pressure.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:51 PM
The Creator

FAWK. damn osx....

btw... OSX's built-in on-screen coercive subliminal flash message system (OSCSFMS) seems to be doing wonders on you, you've been steadily turning into quite the Mac soldier. Your conviction grows stronger by night and steadier by day. You heard about those subliminal messages, right?
?? I thought those were just in my dreams...
Old 05-30-2006, 12:53 PM
The Creator

If you want to know why Microsoft just can't get it right then read the blogs of the IE7 developers and compare to the actual development cycle of IE7.

Smart people, great intentions, piss poor corporate culture. It's said the Windows team is even worse... which is why Microsoft had the "great management shake-up of 2006" a few months ago... which has yet to yield results.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:55 PM
Go Giants

Apple has greater pressure - their relevance and livlihood.

Microsoft is and will always be dominant. They're flooded with surplus reserves. They could rename Vista "Microsoft FuckingHatesYou1.0" and they'd still be ahead of the game... there would still be people buying Windows computers.

If Apple released a series of OS's with problem after problem you'd see their popularity dwindle fast and sure. Just like we saw in the past. That's pressure.
True, but Mac users are basically hippies that love the OS and don't really pressure Apple to change and improve (Im sure they do, just on a smaller scale).

Microsoft has 1000's upon 1000's of idiot CIO's asking them stupid questions like Can Outlook do this or can Windows do that.... This is why Microsoft has to improve. They need to put the pacifiers on the babies.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:58 PM
The Creator

True, but Mac users are basically hippies that love the OS and don't really pressure Apple to change and improve (Im sure they do, just on a smaller scale).

Microsoft has 1000's upon 1000's of idiot CIO's asking them stupid questions like Can Outlook do this or can Windows do that.... This is why Microsoft has to improve. They need to put the pacifiers on the babies.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,138 Posts
@ this thread.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Corporate peer pressure I think he's saying..
Old 05-30-2006, 01:02 PM
Go Giants

Old 05-30-2006, 01:04 PM
The Creator

Originally Posted by doopstr
@ this thread.
The funny part is how Windows fans continually bash "Apple fanboys" or anyone who is "anti-Windows" yet it's their sheer numbers that allow a thread to reach 5+ pages.

Shit, if you put together every Apple user on AZ and gave them a postwhore pass it'd still take 3 days to break the 5 page mark

I'm not sure really what differentiates the scale of fanboyism by someone who is for Apple from someone who is for Microsoft. To me, I think my one-sidedness is easily equalled if not overcome
Big Block go VROOOM!

They could rename Vista "Microsoft FuckingHatesYou1.0"...
Welcome to my job seven or eight months from now.
Go Giants

Originally Posted by Jonesi
Corporate peer pressure I think he's saying..
Im sure is the only reason for new releases (why do you think the Windows 9x series went away).
Old 05-30-2006, 01:06 PM
Go Giants

The funny part is how Windows fans continually bash "Apple fanboys" or anyone who is "anti-Windows" yet it's their sheer numbers that allow a thread to reach 5+ pages.

Shit, if you put together every Apple user on AZ and gave them a postwhore pass it'd still take 3 days to break the 5 page mark

I'm not sure really what differentiates the scale of fanboyism by someone who is for Apple from someone who is for Microsoft. To me, I think my one-sidedness is easily equalled if not overcome
Microsoft fans are always the ones defending themselves. Nobody really starts "I hate Macs" threads.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:08 PM
The Creator

Microsoft fans are always the ones defending themselves. Nobody really starts "I hate Macs" threads.
And why would they

But it is funny that Windows fans are the ones calling Apple users "fanboys", "hippies", etc... and I don't think our side has stooped to calling the users names - yet.

I keep my distaste directed at Microsoft, where it belongs.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:08 PM
Senior Moderator

btw I am IN for the geek forum petition... it could be a subforum of R&P - that way, we can casually intertwine our arguments with theology, religion, and politics etc. on an as-required basis and not have to worry about any repercussions thereof.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:09 PM
The Creator

btw I am IN for the geek forum petition... it could be a subforum of R&P - that way, we can casually intertwine our arguments with theology, religion, and politics etc. on an as-required basis and not have to worry about any repercussions thereof.
that's actually not a half bad idea

we could rename R&P "Religion & Arguments"

Quick Reply: Why I absolutely love Microsoft