Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

What are the advantages of jumping from Verizon to Cingular?

Old 12-31-2004, 12:01 PM
1-2-3-4-5-6-speeeeeed!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the advantages of jumping from Verizon to Cingular?

Fellas, I am tired of Verizon, there phone sucks, plans suck, but I do get good reception here in NY. But what is Cingular's advantage?? How is the reception for you cingular customers in NY??

I currently have 800 minutes nation wide and free nights/weekends. My contract expires in April, schould I make the jump?
Old 12-31-2004, 01:30 PM
Banned

i dont think GSM works to well in the areas outside NYC. I had tmobile and att and they both were terrible. Verizon has been by far the best, I would look at sprint, once the merger with nextel goes through, their coverage will be right there with verizon. Even now sprints coverage seems to be pretty good.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jrod178
I would look at sprint, once the merger with nextel goes through, their coverage will be right there with verizon.
How's that going to work? How does an inferior CDMA network + iDen = superior CDMA network? Unless they make dual network phones which won't do you any good unless you get a new phone.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:17 PM
Movin on up...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mt6forlife
How's that going to work? How does an inferior CDMA network + iDen = superior CDMA network? Unless they make dual network phones which won't do you any good unless you get a new phone.

Nextel is switching frequencys...the gov. just gave them a shit load of money to change networks because it fucked up local walkie talkie frequencys that police and fire used around the country...

So when changing frequency they will have to change phones anyway...and the process will be easier ect....(just like how they phased out tdma into gsm)
Old 12-31-2004, 07:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mikeymobiles
Nextel is switching frequencys...the gov. just gave them a shit load of money to change networks because it fucked up local walkie talkie frequencys that police and fire used around the country...

So when changing frequency they will have to change phones anyway...and the process will be easier ect....(just like how they phased out tdma into gsm)
So does that mean all the current Nextel phones will be paperweights? I'd be kinda pissed if I had a nice phone and SprintTel offered me a crappy replacement or some token amount off a new one.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:56 PM
Movin on up...

So does that mean all the current Nextel phones will be paperweights? I'd be kinda pissed if I had a nice phone and SprintTel offered me a crappy replacement or some token amount off a new one.

no you wouldnt, because the one they are gonna offer you would prob have all the features your current one has plus some more...it is called technology almost everyone stays up with it..so if they gave you 100 dollar credit towards there hottest phone..i am pretty sure you would throw that current one out the window and go with the new one...or you would leave there service...same thing happend with tdma and gsm...most people switched they wanted camera phones and bluetooth, but the ones that didnt left and came to verizon....got me?
Old 01-01-2005, 02:14 PM
Race Director

I'm looking for to providing Sprint and Nextel customers with the finest mobile phones in the country. Don't worry about it.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:11 AM
Banned

where in my post did i say they will have a superior network? i said right there with verizon. nextel is going to switch from iden to cdma, will theyre network be as good as verizons? no, but it should be pretty close, definetely better then sprints current network.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by jrod178
where in my post did i say they will have a superior network? i said right there with verizon. nextel is going to switch from iden to cdma, will theyre network be as good as verizons? no, but it should be pretty close, definetely better then sprints current network.
and how you figure this one? sprints network sucks. nextels network sucks. sprint isnt gaining more network then they already have. they are still only going to run off of one cdma frequency.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
no you wouldnt, because the one they are gonna offer you would prob have all the features your current one has plus some more...it is called technology almost everyone stays up with it..so if they gave you 100 dollar credit towards there hottest phone..i am pretty sure you would throw that current one out the window and go with the new one...or you would leave there service...same thing happend with tdma and gsm...most people switched they wanted camera phones and bluetooth, but the ones that didnt left and came to verizon....got me?

Think about all the companies and governenment agencies that use Nextel though. Even with $100 off, a county government's law enforcement made up of literally thousands of employees would have to replace every single phone! Of course tax payers will pick up the cost, but think about large construction companies and smaller consulting companies (one like I work for) we only have 10 phones active on our current plan, but nextel phones at $100 a piece is an extra $1,000 that company will have to spend. Obviously larger organizations won't have to pay that much per phone, but that's alot of money required to stick with the service for smaller companies and even private users.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:29 PM
Banned

because nextels current towers will be converted to cdma via the grant the governement has given them to switch frequencies.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:30 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Berner
and how you figure this one? sprints network sucks. nextels network sucks. sprint isnt gaining more network then they already have. they are still only going to run off of one cdma frequency.

I'll agree with that. Nextel's coverage is pretty weak compared to my Verizon personal cell phone. I used to have Sprint as well and my calls were dropped right and left. Verizon's coverage is great, but their phones suck ass. I'm on my 4th LG6000, they only last 6 months and they die.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:57 PM
Movin on up...

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Think about all the companies and governenment agencies that use Nextel though. Even with $100 off, a county government's law enforcement made up of literally thousands of employees would have to replace every single phone! Of course tax payers will pick up the cost, but think about large construction companies and smaller consulting companies (one like I work for) we only have 10 phones active on our current plan, but nextel phones at $100 a piece is an extra $1,000 that company will have to spend. Obviously larger organizations won't have to pay that much per phone, but that's alot of money required to stick with the service for smaller companies and even private users.
$100 dollar credit is enough to cover the majority of there phones, i mean unless your firm needs camera phones i am sure they can do well enough for i730's...also goverment accounts and large corporations pay nothing at all near retail pricing, not monthly, not on equipment and not on accessories..so you cant compare them..it is the retail end which is willing to pay more and even small business which are put into a situation where they dont bring enough business to demand ceartin pricing..
Old 01-06-2005, 08:27 PM
Team Owner

$100 dollar credit is enough to cover the majority of there phones, i mean unless your firm needs camera phones i am sure they can do well enough for i730's...also goverment accounts and large corporations pay nothing at all near retail pricing, not monthly, not on equipment and not on accessories..so you cant compare them..it is the retail end which is willing to pay more and even small business which are put into a situation where they dont bring enough business to demand ceartin pricing..

Is there an article or anything about this mandatory switch to the new frequency and therefore rendering all the current phones worthless?
Old 01-06-2005, 10:51 PM
The hair says it all

wow thread hyjack

i have actually been wondering the same question as classycls, and what a surprise, the decision may be difficult because we live right near each other and have similar plans.

right now my biggest issue is with verizon billing. the phones suck, and i realized after i got my vx6000, that, while i like the phone, cingular and tmobile and everyone else have much nicer phones for the same price.

i still have 1 year of my contract left, but i would be really interested in investing in something like a v3 razr if the service in westchester for cingular is good.

for those who have cingular, is their billing good?
Old 01-07-2005, 12:19 AM
Movin on up...

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Is there an article or anything about this mandatory switch to the new frequency and therefore rendering all the current phones worthless?
dont you realize phones on diffrent services (cingular, sprint, verizon) are all diff types of phones and are programmed for diff. frequencys? and unless you get them flashed and changed around your not going to be able to use it on another frequency..

also if you would like to know more about the nextel switcharoo

http://academic.udayton.edu/BradHume...htm/Nextel.htm

that is a link to some kids website who did a research project on nextel pretty much the last few paragraphs are about nextel switching because of emergency services using there towers yada yada..
Old 01-07-2005, 08:13 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Back on topic please... Please start a new thread if you all want to discuss sprint/nextel.

This is a very timely thread as my contract with verizon is up in June and I'm considering a switch. I get a pretty decent discount through my employer and it "seems" rate plans (especially family plans) are more attractive and cheaper.

Thoughts?
Old 01-07-2005, 08:15 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Python2121

for those who have cingular, is their billing good?

This for me is very low priority... My wife and I never go over our minutes and Verizon bills my AMEX monthly. I never get a bill.

The biggest thing I've enjoyed about Verizon is their customer service. Wonderful people to speak with and they can answer anything you throw at them. Other than coverage and plan cost (phones are semi-important), the customer service experience ranks right up there for me.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:16 AM
My Home Planet

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Only advantage I can see are the selection of phones. I'd rather have a normal looking/functioning phone and GREAT coverage area over the latest high tech phone and OK coverage area.

Hell, verizon is the only service that works on our D.C. subway system!
Old 01-11-2005, 03:07 PM
Racer

nothing, cingluar sucks, there service is wonderful tho. Customer service is horrible. And i get a bill for 150$ a month rather 80$ that its supposed to be. DO NOT SWITCH
Old 01-11-2005, 03:35 PM
Movin on up...

verizon plans are going to stay competitive as you will soon see in the near future...
Old 01-11-2005, 04:17 PM
Administrator Alumnus

verizon plans are going to stay competitive as you will soon see in the near future...
Oh come on... Let the cat out of the bag, homeslice.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:08 PM

wait till the 17th. they are going to be better than cingular
Old 01-11-2005, 08:43 PM
Movin on up...

Originally Posted by Scrib
Oh come on... Let the cat out of the bag, homeslice.
i was reading this can not verify if this is true or rumor

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=538361

alot of liars on that board..but who knows...
Old 01-11-2005, 10:03 PM
Drifting

All my friends with the exception of 2 friends (on T-Mobile) are with Cingular and they love it.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:40 AM
Administrator Alumnus

i was reading this can not verify if this is true or rumor

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=538361

alot of liars on that board..but who knows...
hmmm... That would be pretty sweet.

Now if some decent phones would come out...
Old 01-12-2005, 10:03 AM
Movin on up...

Plenty of phones are coming out...just be patient...
Old 01-12-2005, 10:04 AM
Movin on up...

Originally Posted by mobilezen
All my friends with the exception of 2 friends (on T-Mobile) are with Cingular and they love it.

I just got a v3 razr to play with for cingular, and i am pretty impressed with it..it works in my house and usually only verizon does...def a tight phone..
Old 01-12-2005, 10:37 AM
The hair says it all

Plenty of phones are coming out...just be patient...
with all the hype about the v710 and then the actual preformance of the phone im skeptical.

btw cingular works in cool places now like metro north train tunnels under grand central
Old 01-13-2005, 01:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Python2121
with all the hype about the v710 and then the actual preformance of the phone im skeptical.

btw cingular works in cool places now like metro north train tunnels under grand central
The 710 is fine. Great RF performance. BT works to get a laptop or PDA on the net. Haven't tried a headset yet. Hasn't crashed once and its been about 3 weeks so far. The voice dialing is very cool.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:37 AM
I'm back, biatch.

Go with T-Mobile and a tri-band GSM phone (1900/900/something else)
You'll be able to use T-mobile, AT&T and Cingular GSM networks.

I have a single band phone and reception sucks teh hairy hairy balls... but 1000 min+free weekends for 39.99 is nice.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:16 AM
Safety Car

I too am considering making the switch. I'm just curious though, does cingular make you pay for all the extra things that verizon provides through thier Get it Now service?

I just got a v3 razr to play with for cingular, and i am pretty impressed with it..it works in my house and usually only verizon does...def a tight phone..

Whats the phonebook like on that thing? Does it let you have multiple entries under one name? Or is it like other Moto's where it's only one number per entry?
Old 01-17-2005, 09:34 AM
Movin on up...

Originally Posted by Repo1234
I too am considering making the switch. I'm just curious though, does cingular make you pay for all the extra things that verizon provides through thier Get it Now service?

Whats the phonebook like on that thing? Does it let you have multiple entries under one name? Or is it like other Moto's where it's only one number per entry?

yea, i havent saved anything just because i already gave it away...but it was similar interface to most motos (t720.730,v710)...
Old 01-17-2005, 10:16 AM
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by teg_to_TSX
Go with T-Mobile and a tri-band GSM phone (1900/900/something else)
You'll be able to use T-mobile, AT&T and Cingular GSM networks.

I have a single band phone and reception sucks teh hairy hairy balls... but 1000 min+free weekends for 39.99 is nice.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:17 AM
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Repo1234

Verizon doesnt charge for Get it Now?

the razr only allows one number entry per name.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:51 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Slooo97CL
Verizon doesnt charge for Get it Now?

the razr only allows one number entry per name.

Yeah I know they dont charge for the actual Get it Now. What I meant to say is that they charge you for the services that are on the Get it Now like when you d/L ringtones, pictures, etc.

Oh and that sucks that it only allows one number per entry.