Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Web Page Design

Old 11-04-2011 | 11:30 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Web Page Design

I am looking to have a commercial page designed and need to find a vendor to do the work.

How does one go about choosing a site creator/builder?

Do I base it solely on other designs he/she has done?

Is there a guideline for approximate pricing per page?

Should I sketch out what I want and show that to the builder or just describe it?

If I buy the domain from, say, GoDaddy, does GoDaddy host the site and I send them the site files or does it work differently?

What if I need changes made to the site after it goes live? How do I make that happen?

Sorry for all the noob questions... Thanks in advance.
Old 11-06-2011 | 09:01 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Mods, any chance this can be moved to general Ramblings for more exposure? Thanks.
Old 11-06-2011 | 01:15 PM
Creepy guy in the mirror.

I am assuming this is going to be a small business page. The costs of developing a site is going to vary wildly depending on what you have already got done.

Have you already developed your branding and logo? Have you selected colors and the navigation layout you want?

Certainly ask your creator if you can see prior work and make sure you like their work.

Sketch out what you want and do up a site map documenting links between the various pages.

Many creators will build you a page template that can be integrated with a content management system like Drupal or Joomla. This gives you your page and gives you the ability to add pages and edit content, etc down the road without having to engage your designer again. Basically they create the look and feel and you add the content.

A provider like GoDaddy can provide you with domain registration and then you can host with any other service provider or you can host with GoDaddy. GoDaddy has a cookbook of templates if you don't need anything too fancy and want to go with one of their layouts. That would have you up and running without needing to engage a designer.

I would recommend that you build your site around a content management system rather than get some website guy to build your whole website. If you rely on a developer you are less likely to update your content regularly and keep your site dynamic.

If you find a designer - they should be able to help you find a hoster.
Old 11-06-2011 | 05:23 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

thanks
Old 11-07-2011 | 11:28 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

JLat,

Any suggestion on how to find a designer?
Old 11-07-2011 | 12:26 PM
Suzuka Master

I have a friend who is a graphic designer and who can do web design (people he works with do most of the actual coding). I have no idea how much it would cost though, I could ask or get you some contact for his company if you'd like.
Old 11-07-2011 | 12:47 PM
Creepy guy in the mirror.

I would ask around - perhaps go to some sites you like and ask who designed them.

I work for a company that does designs mostly for municipal government so we are often into sites with hundreds of total pages. We are not a good fit for independents or startups as we would not be competitively priced. We get most of our business from word of mouth and I think that is how the business works as a whole.

Sorry I cant be much more help than that.
Old 11-07-2011 | 12:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

My previous company used a web design service from Intuit. Not sure how well it is, it should at least give you a place to start.

http://www.intuit.com/website-building-software/
Old 11-07-2011 | 01:54 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Thanks Jlat and Alex. Looking into the intuit one now.
Old 11-07-2011 | 02:38 PM
UA6 SSM TL

Originally Posted by stogie1020
I am looking to have a commercial page designed and need to find a vendor to do the work.

How does one go about choosing a site creator/builder?

It all depends on what you are looking for and how well you want the job to be done. Unfortunately, web designing and web development are sort of expensive. The more things you want to have on your website the more money you will end up paying for. Now, it will be expensive if you have two people working on different things (one person designing the site and the other one developing the codes), so try two find one that can do both. The downside however, is that depending upon what you want on your site, it could take a bit longer than when two people work on the same project at the same time.

Do I base it solely on other designs he/she has done? Is there a guideline for approximate pricing per page?
Should I sketch out what I want and show that to the builder or just describe it?

Absolutely! Regarding the price, as a webdesigner i would suggest that you should write on a piece of paper the ideas of how you want your webstie to look like, what contents it will have, the number of pages, etc. If you have an example of a website (for example. www.thiswebsite.com) let him/her know about it. the designer/developer will never make the same exact website, however, he/she will work with the standars that that website was created from in order to create a different yet similar website. (a better example would be eBay, and Amazon. If you look at both sites, you will see that they don't look the same, however, they both perform the same function wich is to sell products online)
Remember the more information you can provide the designer/developer with the better he/she will understand what you want, therefore, he/she would more likely give you an stimate for the amount of time it will take to designe/develop your site.

If I buy the domain from, say, GoDaddy, does GoDaddy host the site and I send them the site files or does it work differently?

I think they can do that, however, you will have to pay for that. You can always do it yourself, it is not that difficult.

What if I need changes made to the site after it goes live? How do I make that happen?

This depends upon the type of changes you will do, and how often these changes need to occur. If you don't have any knowledge of XHTML, etc. then you can always pay the person who designed/developed your site to do the changes for you. Or, you can always have someone built your site with a CMS like someone on here said(content management system ). This is very easy, all you need to do is to change the content (for example, text or image and then save the file).
CMS can be a bit expensive but like i said before if you are planning to do changes on your website very often then i would go with CMS if i were you. Because paying someone to do the changes on your site will be the same as having a CMS.

Sorry for all the noob questions... Thanks in advance.
Another advice, never pay the designer/developer the full amount of money he/she will charge. Discuss this first. Make sure he/she tests the website online to find any errors or problems.

Hope this help

Last edited by 24no7; 11-07-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-07-2011 | 03:27 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

awesome, thanks
Old 11-08-2011 | 10:50 AM
I got the Shifts

Originally Posted by 24no7
Another advice, never pay the designer/developer the full amount of money he/she will charge. Discuss this first. Make sure he/she tests the website online to find any errors or problems.

Hope this help
when i design a site it includes 4 hrs of phone support and 1 month of website change/re-design support. -perhaps you can work this out with whoever you choose to design your site.
Old 11-08-2011 | 11:08 AM
Race Director

^I do the same. But after that, my fees go up a LOT. IF you don't do it that way customers will always try to get more from you.
Old 11-08-2011 | 05:48 PM
UA6 SSM TL

Originally Posted by phee
when i design a site it includes 4 hrs of phone support and 1 month of website change/re-design support. -perhaps you can work this out with whoever you choose to design your site.
Exactly, that's why i told him to not pay the whole amount at once. First he needs to discuss the payments, design, etc to avoid future issues

^that's true, i learned that long time ago. Now i said for this extra work, i need this extra money lol
Old 11-13-2011 | 03:06 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

I am not in any way one of those people who think lifetime support should be free, but it's always a good idea to know the hourly rates for someone and get a clear understanding of how much time a change will take to implement (meaning cost in time).

Again, thanks guys.
Old 11-13-2011 | 05:56 PM
I got the Shifts

Depending on the change (full page? Error in a sentence? Image replacement? Color change?) it ranges from overnight (usually the case) to 1 week. On weekends I usually get it done within 6 hrs.
Old 11-14-2011 | 03:51 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Thanks Phee. Good to know.