Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Vista may go the way of Millenium

Old 05-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,989 Likes on 5,142 Posts
touche
Old 05-05-2008, 09:03 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
damn it. all these walls ppl are hitting with vista with upgraded machines bites. my pentium D is finally showing signs of wear (i guess) because all the music gets chopped and screwed when i'm doing something else in media center and my primary use of vista now is media center.

why did the 1.8 centrino in my laptop dust my 3.0ghz pentium D machine in SuperPI?

I'm really looking into a quad core or dual core if it will help Vista MCE. Any experience on this thread?
Old 05-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,121 Likes on 6,109 Posts
I don't get it, yes XP is faster just like Win 2000 is faster than XP but I think the advancement in new USEFUL features and a great increase in security is more important than a little bit of speed. I'm tri booting Vista x86, Vista x64 and XP SP3 and I don't see enough of a speed boost to warrant sticking with XP. Actually Vista can be faster at opening commonly used applications cause of the superfetch feature that loads commonly used applications in to RAM so that when you access them it loads from RAM instead of the HD. This is also why RAM usage is higher with Vista cause it loads commonly accessed programs in to RAM. I also don't understand why people get upset over Vista using so much RAM, what's the point of buying a PC with 2gb or RAM if you don't want the OS to put it to good use. I've run Vista on 1gb, 2gb, and 4gb of RAM and every time it adjusted according and used about 40-50% of the RAM available, so if you have more RAM then it'll load more applications into RAM but if the system needs the RAM for more important reasons than it'll clear some of the RAM so the system can run smoothly.

Was this guy comparing a retail copy of XP to a OEM version of Vista with all the craplets installed? Cause then XP is definitely faster. But my friends computers who still have XP are crazy slow cause of all the craplets that came with their computer, I just don't know how they put up with it, I guess they've never installed XP from scratch and therefore they don't know what they're missing! I was on my friends computer running XP and it was insanely slow so I go to task manager it shows 95 processes running!! I almost fainted!

So I'm curious as to why you don't like Vista and when you say it's bloated can you go into details?
Old 05-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by Malayalee King
damn it. all these walls ppl are hitting with vista with upgraded machines bites. my pentium D is finally showing signs of wear (i guess) because all the music gets chopped and screwed when i'm doing something else in media center and my primary use of vista now is media center.

why did the 1.8 centrino in my laptop dust my 3.0ghz pentium D machine in SuperPI?

I'm really looking into a quad core or dual core if it will help Vista MCE. Any experience on this thread?
I use vista media center on my PC and I've used a Q6600 2.4Ghz quad core and AMD 4800+ 2.4Ghz dual core and I can't say that going quad gives you an advantage with media center. Quad core just allows me to do a ludicrous shitload of things at the same time, it doesn't necessarily perform individual tasks faster but allows me to do more individual tasks at the same time and without a slow down.

It's like having 4 arms vs 2 arms. With two arms you can only do 2 tasks at the same time but with 4 arms you can do 4 differents tasks at the same time. Now when you get into multithreading where a task can take advantage of both cores or all 4 coures at the same time then quad core can be much faster but most consumer software is still designed with one core in mind so it'll be while before you can really take full advantage of quad cores all the time. I expect Windows 7 to be written to take better advantage of multi-core CPUs.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by #1 DOUCHER
I've run Vista on 1gb, 2gb, and 4gb of RAM and every time it adjusted according and used about 40-50% of the RAM available, so if you have more RAM then it'll load more applications into RAM but if the system needs the RAM for more important reasons than it'll clear some of the RAM so the system can run smoothly.
How do you monitor how much RAM is being used by prefetch? Is there a counter in PerfMon? To be honest, I haven't bothered to look because the only Vista machine I use is at work and fast enough is good enough at the office.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Well you can go to task manager and find the service which is called SysMain and it has a PID of 1312 so you can go to perfmon and get detailed info about memory with the PID or you can just right click on the SysMain service in Task Manager and choose go to Process which will show you the memory used by that process. Does the PID vary from PC to PC?

Currently my memory usage is 31% with 4Gb of RAM and Superfetch is using 75,644k and it's the 3rd highest memory user.

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 05-05-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:45 AM
misanthropist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally broke down and got Vista on a quad core 2weeks ago. Lasted about two days with it before i formatted and loaded MCE 2005.

The things that really bothered me were the fact that it somehow destroyed my net speed. Firefox 2 was destroyed and despite searching and finding lots of answers, none seemed to work. That combined with having to navigate 2-3x more menus to find the same old settings was more than i could handle. It also couldn't handle my 8600 gt card, when I did manage to get online all of the embedded videos or videos on media player and in vista MCE ran at about 1fps and then would bomb out. I had to upgrade drivers and it sort of fixed it, then i had to go google it and mess with the settings to get it to work right. Miserable.

I spent hours just getting it close to being usable and gave up. Shouldn't have to work that hard to make a new OS reasonable to use. oh well
Old 05-06-2008, 10:51 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
< --- Been on Vista Ultimate with my Quad core for 5 months now. No issues whatever. What are you guys doing wrong?
Old 05-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Black Tire
< --- Been on Vista Ultimate with my Quad core for 5 months now. No issues whatever. What are you guys doing wrong?
Have you tried XP on that machine?
Old 05-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Sanest Florida Man

I'm sorry but I bet all of those problem you're having can't be blamed on Vista. You probably got some craplet slowing down your internet, I have no idea why you 8600Gt doesn't work. my 8800Gt and my 6600Gt works fine, NOW. Make sure you're using the most current drivers cause Nvidia was having alot of problems with their drivers. In fact they were responsible for about 30% of all of the problems experienced on Vista

Did you even upgrade to SP1?
Old 05-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Well, I have Vista on one of my work laptops not really any issues. At home Nvidia problems have dropped my box a few times so it's not really stable enough for me.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:26 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

Originally Posted by srika
Have you tried XP on that machine?
I think I already listed what my computer has:

Quad Core Q6600
500 GIG
4 GIGS of RAM
Asus PNE-SLI
512 MB 8800 GT

I have none of the problems on that pie chart.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Sanest Florida Man

I think I already listed what my computer has:

Quad Core Q6600
500 GIG
4 GIGS of RAM
Asus PNE-SLI
512 MB 8800 GT

I have none of the problems on that pie chart.
we have the same setup. except I have a different mobo. The pie chart is based on the early life of Vista when there were a lot of driver problems and everyone was blaming Vista when it actually wasn't their fault the majority of the time.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Senior Moderator

the issues I am talking about have nothing to do with crashing.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:03 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

damn it. theres like nothing in my existing box i can put into my new vista box. i think i'll go with either a c2d or q6600 if i end up having to buy a new PSU too (20 vs 24 pin, gay).

needs to support 2-3 PCI slots too...its looking like a thou almost:

cpu 200
mobo 200
ram 200
2x500 GB = 200
cooling = 50
psu = 100

so owned. i guess i'll give mce2005 a swing before that though
Old 05-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Here's an perfect example of Vista being retarded that I just ran into fifteen minutes ago. I have Notepad++ installed on my Vista machine. If I type 'notepad' in the Start Menu search box, it comes back listing Notepad++ first followed by Notepad. So if I type 'notepad' and hit enter, Vista launches Notepad++ and not the program that matches exactly what I typed. Just flat out stupid.

That may sound like a small thing but it's a perfect example of the unpolished nature of Vista that leaves end users with a bad taste in their mouth.

And while I'm whining and bitching, here's the single biggest end-user frustration I've had with Windows since Win95 or Win98:

When I select a line of text DO NOT SELECT THE FUCKING CARRIAGE RETURN!
Old 05-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Billiam
Here's an perfect example of Vista being retarded that I just ran into fifteen minutes ago. I have Notepad++ installed on my Vista machine. If I type 'notepad' in the Start Menu search box, it comes back listing Notepad++ first followed by Notepad. So if I type 'notepad' and hit enter, Vista launches Notepad++ and not the program that matches exactly what I typed. Just flat out stupid.

That may sound like a small thing but it's a perfect example of the unpolished nature of Vista that leaves end users with a bad taste in their mouth.

And while I'm whining and bitching, here's the single biggest end-user frustration I've had with Windows since Win95 or Win98:

When I select a line of text DO NOT SELECT THE FUCKING CARRIAGE RETURN!

Sadly, this is why I been doing editing in either linux, as nuts as that sounds.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:39 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Why don't you just click on the icon to launch programs?
Old 05-06-2008, 02:42 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

use textpad
Old 05-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Malayalee King
use textpad
+1
Old 05-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Sanest Florida Man

I believe it does that cause you use Notepad++ more often than notepad it assumes based on your past actions that notepad++ is the program you're looking for. For example if you type in iTunes you'll get two options "about iTunes" and "iTunes" itself. Now the first time you search iTunes "about iTunes" will be the first selection cause it's int alphabetical order but if you were to click the "iTunes" icon underneath it it would open iTunes. So the next time you did a search for iTunes the "iTunes" program will come up as the first option instead of "about iTunes" cause based on your past history that's the result you use most often.

This is the same feature that FF/safari/IE8 uses if I type in acurazine.com into the address bar the first result is the ramblings forum. Why? because based on my past history that's where I'm most likely to go. I enjoy this feature, IE7 doesn't have this feature. So in IE7 if I type in acurazine.com it shows acurazine.com but that's not where I'm most likely to go so I have to scroll down and search for teh ramblings which I don't like doing.

So if you want it to select notepad instead of notepad++ than use notepad more often than notepad++ but you won't cause there's a reason you installed Notepad++ to begin with and that's cause you like it more than notepad. If you use FF you should consider switching back to IE7 since it's seems to have the feature or lack of features that you're looking for!:wink:

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 05-06-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Senior Moderator

read it and weep suckas

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...rce=rss_news50

Windows XP SP3 boasts speed boost, testers claim

Same outfit that dissed Vista SP1 says XP's 'must-have update' 10% faster than XP SP2

November 24, 2007 (Computerworld) -- Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3), the update scheduled to be released next year, runs Microsoft Corp.'s Office suite 10% faster than XP SP2, a performance testing software developer reported Friday.

Devil Mountain Software Inc., which earlier in the week claimed that Windows Vista SP1 was no faster than the original, repeated some of the same tests on the release candidate of Windows XP SP3, the service pack recently issued to about 15,000 testers.

"We were pleasantly surprised to discover that Windows XP SP3 delivers a measurable performance boost to this aging desktop OS," said Craig Barth, Devil Mountain's chief technology officer, in a post to a company blog on Friday.

Devil Mountain ran its OfficeBench suite of performance benchmarks on a laptop equipped with Office 2007, Microsoft's latest application suite. The notebook -- the same unit used in the Vista/Vista SP1 tests earlier -- featured a 2.0-GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 1GB of memory. The results reported that XP SP3 delivered a 10% speed increase over SP2, the service pack released in 2004.

"Since SP3 was supposed to be mostly a bug-fix/patch consolidation release, the unexpected speed boost comes as a nice bonus," Barth said. "In fact, XP SP3 is shaping up to be a 'must-have' update for the majority of users who are still running Redmond's not-so-latest and greatest desktop OS."

According to the Office performance benchmarks, Windows XP SP3 is also considerably faster than Vista SP1. "None of this bodes well for Vista, which is now more than two times slower than the most current builds of its older sibling," said Barth.

While Microsoft was not available over the weekend for comment about XP's performance, it defended Vista SP1 after Devil Mountain's first round of tests.

"We appreciate the excitement to evaluate Windows Vista SP1 as soon as possible. However, the service pack is still in the development phase and will undergo several changes before being released," a spokeswoman said in an e-mail.

Microsoft has at times struggled to wean users from the six-year-old Windows XP and get them to migrate to Vista. During 2007, for example, it made several XP concessions, including adding five years to the support lifespan of the Home edition and extending OEM and retail sales of XP through June 2008, as it recognized that customers wanted to hold on to the older operating system.

Recently, Forrester Research said that XP remained Vista's biggest rival and cited survey data that showed that U.S. and European businesses would delay Vista deployment, in part because of application incompatibility problems plaguing the new operating system. "That's causing a lot of XP shops to take a wait-and-see approach to Vista," said Forrester analyst Benjamin Gray two weeks ago.
installing SP3 now!
Old 05-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Senior Moderator

oh btw I know the article was from 11/2007 - but SP3 came through updates today, so I found it postworthy
Old 05-06-2008, 03:56 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

Vista has Direct x10...and most new apps will want to be on Vista...whats the point of this upgrade? Anyways...you'll need a fast processor like the Quad to play the new games as well.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:57 PM
misanthropist

I'm sorry but I bet all of those problem you're having can't be blamed on Vista. You probably got some craplet slowing down your internet, I have no idea why you 8600Gt doesn't work. my 8800Gt and my 6600Gt works fine, NOW. Make sure you're using the most current drivers cause Nvidia was having alot of problems with their drivers. In fact they were responsible for about 30% of all of the problems experienced on Vista

Did you even upgrade to SP1?

Right out of the box, nothing installed, not even office. I bought the 8600gt separately and immediately had to load drivers because it was bombing on everything. New drivers, then it bogged and i had to google what the settings issue was, some random setting in the advanced tab of the nvidia app. Next was SP1. Big whoop, still didn't fix the vid settings issue. Office worked fine. Then firefox, that was worthless, it got slaughtered and would only download at 5kb/s. IE 7 depending on the page would download at 200kb/s or 5kb/s. Had old MCE box sitting on the same router pulling 400-600kb/s pulling same update files. Downloaded it onto old box and put it on usb stick to migrate to still downloading on Vista box. Had enough.

Loaded MCE on the same box and it screams. The issue is Vista. There is no question.

I didn't want to be the guy refusing to upgrade and stuck in my ways. Screw it, it's not worth the headache when XP works perfectly.

And I put SP3 on last week. Don't notice any speed increase, but it didn't kill anything.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

I believe it does that cause you use Notepad++ more often than notepad it assumes based on your past actions that notepad++ is the program you're looking for.
I use Windows notepad five or six times per week. I use Notepad++ maybe once per month.

Vista has Direct x10...and most new apps will want to be on Vista...whats the point of this upgrade? Anyways...you'll need a fast processor like the Quad to play the new games as well.
I could be wrong, but I don't believe anybody is currenlty coding games to make use of multiple cores.

Last edited by Billiam; 05-06-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Sanest Florida Man

So you went from a craplet infested Vista to craplet free version of XP and you're blaming the problems on Vista?

I did the same thing this weekend, some lady my dad knows was having problems with her virus and spyware infested Vista e-machine that she bought from a pawn shop for $300 so he had me talk to her. She was having all sorts of crazy problems and she wanted to blame vista. I did a little research on her problems and they all led back to craplets, spyware or viruses. So I overnighted her a Vista install disc with SP1 walked her through the install process and now all her problems are gone. It must've been Vista's fault!

Why don't you install a bone stock version of Vista and THEN if you have the same problems (which you won't) I'll believe it's Vista.

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 05-06-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Senior Moderator

So you went from a craplet infested Vista to craplet free version of XP and you're blaming the problems on Vista?

I did the same thing this weekend, some lady my dad knows was having problems with her virus and spyware infested Vista e-machine that she bought from a pawn shop for $300 so he had me talk to her. She was having all sorts of crazy problems and she wanted to blame vista. I did a little research on her problems and they all led back to craplets, spyware or viruses. So I overnighted her a Vista install disc with SP1 walked her through the install process and now all her problems are gone. It must've been Vista's fault!

Why don't you install a bone stock version of Vista and THEN if you have the same problems (which you won't) I'll believe it's Vista.
or, you can install XP which is more than 2 times faster than Vista - and still supported - and really get the most out of your computer, your time, and your money.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Kang Ho

I been running Vista for a good year and nothings wrong...Yes, I do agree that XP is much faster. I use it to web browse, watch video, and play games.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:14 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
I use Windows notepad five or six times per week. I use Notepad++ maybe once per month.
How about you use Vista the way it's designed and launch Notepad by clicking on the frequently used icon which no doubt appears towards the top of the list, if you use it 6 times a week. It's a lot faster than typing it in the search bar too.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
How about you use Vista the way it's designed and launch Notepad by clicking on the frequently used icon which no doubt appears towards the top of the list, if you use it 6 times a week. It's a lot faster than typing it in the search bar too.
Simple. For common tasks it actually takes longer to remove your hand from the keyboard, reach for the mouse, move it, and click than to just use the keyboard equivalent. Always has, and always will until the keyboard goes away.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:25 PM
misanthropist

Originally Posted by srika
or, you can install XP which is more than 2 times faster than Vista - and still supported - and really get the most out of your computer, your time, and your money.
funny how that works
Old 05-07-2008, 02:28 PM
misanthropist

The problem being, I don't care if you believe it is Vista. I believe it is Vista. It is now a non issue because I am using XP, still a microsoft product and doing much better than my version of Vista, for whatever reason.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
I once loaded Windows 3.1 on a Quad Core....wow....
Old 05-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Simple. For common tasks it actually takes longer to remove your hand from the keyboard, reach for the mouse, move it, and click than to just use the keyboard equivalent. Always has, and always will until the keyboard goes away.
+1 keyboard shortcuts FTMFW!!!!!!
Old 05-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Sanest Florida Man

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rePkCZECi8U"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rePkCZECi8U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

If the “Vista sucks” movement has a public face, it’s the Sony Vaio. No one knows that better than my new friend Jeremy Toeman. In May 2007, this 15-year Windows veteran replaced his old, beloved, XP-powered Vaio with a newer Vaio that came with Windows Vista Business installed. Practically overnight, he told me, his experience went from “awesome” to “awful.” The experience was so terrible, in fact, that after several months of struggling he finally surrendered, putting his $2500 Windows notebook in storage and replacing it with a MacBook last summer.

At first glance, Jeremy’s machine is Exhibit A in the case against Windows Vista. As Jeremy documented in a series of posts, this gorgeous machine was ugly in action: slow to start, sluggish when performing everyday tasks, crash-prone, and overloaded with annoying and unwanted software. But is it really a hopeless case, or was this system done in by the rush to market and a sloppy OEM integration?

My instinct and experience says that even under these extreme circumstances, Windows Vista can be fixed. That’s why, for the past two months, Jeremy and I have been collaborating on an experiment. After he sent me his Vaio in early March, I blew away all traces of the old installation and set up a pristine copy of Windows Vista Business, with up-to-date drivers and zero crapware. (This screen shot, from the accompanying image gallery, shows the blizzard of dialog boxes and icons that are part of the original, unpleasant experience.) The initial results were eye-opening and impressive. After my makeover, this machine was every bit as fast as its specs said it should have been.

Around the same time, Sony sent me a brand-new SZ770N Vaio, also with Windows Vista Business installed. The new model is in the same series as Jeremy’s machine, and physically nearly identical. Not surprisingly, the CPU and graphics processor in the newer unit were both significantly faster than last year’s model. Over the next two weeks, I played with both machines, switching between the original factory images and my own clean installs to see where the differences lay.

In this post and its accompanying image gallery, I’ll give you a close-up look at what I had to do to turn Sony’s messy, half-baked Windows installation into one that was worthy of their excellent hardware and that took full advantage of the new features in Vista. At the end of this post I’ll share some of the lessons I learned about how Sony and its rivals can win their customers back.

Meanwhile, both units have left my office - one returned to Sony, the other sent back to Jeremy in the Bay Area. So you don’t have to trust my observations about the differences in performance and overall experience. Over at his LIVEDigitally blog, Jeremy just posted his impressions (short version: ” At long last, after 11 months, Ed Bott has turned my $2500 Vaio laptop into a usable computer”), along with an accompanying video that is truly must-see TV. His advice to “the PC manufacturers who are failing to deliver consumer-ready products” is spot on.
Someone else who believes and proves that it's not Vista it PC manufacturers and their crapware!

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=429
Old 05-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Intermediate

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rePkCZECi8U"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rePkCZECi8U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Someone else who believes and proves that it's not Vista it PC manufacturers and their crapware!

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=429
Great writeup! I work in the PC support industry and that's been my experience. PC makers almost always pre-load tons of garbage and even under a mature OS like WinXP is today, it causes tons of problems. Throw in the variable of a new OS and the crapware leads to disaster. Hell, I saw a new Sony laptop recently with a freakin' Travelocity ad pre-installed in the Vista sidebar. I applaud Dell's efforts with the Vostro line to sell PC's with pretty much just Windows on them. I just wish they'd sell them to the general public and not only to business customers.

My experiences with Vista have been positive. I've been running it on two of my 3 PC's since the final code was released late in 2006. These are machines I built myself (one's a Core 2 Duo, the other an old P4) and loaded clean Windows Vista on them with the latest drivers. They work fine. Stability is on par with the three previous NT-based Windows I've run (XP, 2000, and NT4) which is to say, it really doesn't crash unless something horrible happens like a video driver crashing. Oh wait, Vista can actually survive a video driver crash without blue screening. Can XP do that? Didn't think so. I recently upgraded the old P4, replacing everything but the SATA hard disk with Vista on it, fully expecting to have to reformat and reinstall. To my surprise, Vista booted up on the new hardware and run's great. Doing that on XP or 2000 would have at least meant doing a "repair" installation.

Oh, and anyone who thinks XP is twice as fast as Vista on the same hardware (assuming its not 5 years old) is smoking crack.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:48 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Thank you! Where do you work? And welcome to teh Ramblings!
Old 05-08-2008, 11:56 PM
Intermediate

Thank you! Where do you work? And welcome to teh Ramblings!
Thanks. I work for a small company doing desktop and small network service/support for home and office users. I've been doing this for years and have seen many versions of Windows come and go. The whining about Vista is nothing new (happens with every new Windows) but I think the difference this time is that any asshat can blog about it and every problem story gets repeated over and over until people just accept it as truth. Customers tell me all the time how bad they've heard Vista is but when I ask, none of them know jack. Its all second and third hand "information". They heard about a guy who knows a guy who works with their cousin's roommate who couldn't find a Vista driver for his 6 year old $30 inkjet printer and now suddenly Vista is junk.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:31 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Wow, I couldn't have said it better myself. Well in fact I did earlier in this thread. It happens every time but now with blogs it gets taken as truth. This internet is a double edged sword, you know. I see blogs replacing news -just look at the success of Engadget and Gizmodo- where anyones opinion or agenda can become truth cause no one especially bloggers fact check anymore so they read an article do no fact checking take it as the truth and post it. Engadget's done it many times like with the whole Apple fiasco of last year that leopard and the iPhone was going to be delayed which made Apple's stock drop $4 billion dollars in one day, end up it was false. Also the article put out by some douchebag reaming Vista over supposed DRM features it would have that would limit or stop Vista ability to play non DRMed media and would add DRM to media that didn't have it all while being a huge resource hog, etc. Then it ends up the bag had never even used Vista he just came up with this article be reading some shit about Vista and it's ability to play DRM capable files. Or how about the one Engadget posted yesterday that MS was hooking up with NBC to enforce some DRM on the Zune that would scan and delete pirated media from your PC, then of course they release an update saying whoops guess it isn't happening. Douchebags!

Quick Reply: Vista may go the way of Millenium