Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Video in powerpoint?

Old 08-06-2005, 12:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Video in powerpoint?

Okay I have a school project to complete by the 21st. It's not going to be that difficult, except that I have to include a video presentation with visual aids. Because my subject is a long-dead historical figure, my visual aids are things like family trees, genealogy reports, maps, and a couple of digital pictures of what she *may* have looked like (there are no known descriptions of her likeness in existence). Because these items are all mostly small and text-based except for the paintings, I have decided that rather than trying to print them up in large format so that they can be mostly unreadable on the video screen, I am going to make a PowerPoint presentation that incorporates these items for easy viewing. However, I still have to have my video presentation.

So I decided that, rather than having a long 7-minute speech, I will have several short video vignettes embedded into my presentation. I.e. One slide will have the introduction, then the next slide will have me on one side, describing what the other side of the slide is showing (i.e. the map). The only problem is, I have never heard of embedding video into a PP presentation. Can that be done? Is it the same as embedding an object? Have any of you guys ever done anything like that before? If I find that it's impossible for me to do it, would anyone be willing to help me?
Old 08-06-2005, 01:14 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What version of Powerpoint & what format are the video clips? I'm looking at 2003 right now and there's an "Insert -> Movies & Sounds" menu that looks like it should do the trick. When I tried it, it appeared to take most any video format except Quicktime.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:03 PM
Instructor

It is possible to be able to embed a video into your powerpoint slide show. When you add a new slide, look for a slide layout that allows you to add a video or in PP it's referred to as a media clip.

In my senior project i put two or three videos in my PP presentation, and everyone thought it was cool.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah... I hadn't opened powerpoint yet when I made this thread. Everyone I had talked to in person said they didn't think you could do it, so I posted this and THEN looked in powerpoint, and sho' nuff, you can do it. Thanks!

But now... my camera automatically puts the videos in .MOV format, which on my computer shows up as a quicktime file. How do you reformat a video to a different type?
Old 08-06-2005, 02:49 PM
Instructor

I just googled it and here's what i came up with

http://www.videohelp.com/mov2avi.htm and http://www.winmpg.com/mov-converter.html

I don't know how it works, but I would try the first link because it looks free.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:04 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the shooting your own videos deosn't work out, you could go the route of making a video slide show out of your still images (with your own voiceover) and embed that in your Powerpoint presentation. Then again, that may be against the rules/spirit of your project. M$ has actually has a half way decent program for doing this sort of stuff available for free.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...y/default.mspx

BTW - What sort of camera do you have that's only outputting videos in Quicktime format? Seems sort of odd in this day and age.