Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Thinking about switching to iPhone 4 from Droid 2

Old 11-29-2010, 02:01 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by vas25tl
Tested the iphone 4 in my basement over the weekend, I was actually able to make a call - unlike on my Pre from Sprint.

I think I'm very close to making the switch.
LOL.... a paper cup and a string gets better reception than a Pre... take an EVO to the basement and see what happens.... I travel all over the state of Texas and I only drop calls when I am in BFE...far, middle, eastern Texas up by Trinity, where no one hardly goes (or lives)... and no one else on the van has service...
Old 12-05-2010, 07:12 AM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
I did it last night. Went to AT&T, got a new family plan with 4 phones, 3 of which are iPhones.

I freaking love it. Emphasis on the freaking.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
^^^ Congrats! You'll gonna even love it more when jailbroken!
Old 12-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Getting it Done

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
iPhone4= best phone I've ever owned.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:49 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by AMUA6
I've been doing a lot of reading about the iPhone and have seen so many mixed feelings, can anyone give me thoughts or input about my switch?
People will argue about this forEVER.

A business user might have to exercise some patience while he gets used to the on-screen virtual keyboard instead of the keypad that you have with most Droids, the Nokias and Blackberries.

You'll have to decide for yourself whether the Retina Display and additional power is worth it to you.

It's worth it to me, and there isn't anything I cannot do with my iPhone 4 that I could do with a Blackberry or Nokia E-device.

The lack of an approved firewall might bug you. The workaround that most of us have is we either crack the devices and use iBlacklist or MCleaner, or just set the default text and call notifier to silent or none, and then assign sounds to specific numbers that we want to get through.

And it's easier to get an iPhone approved for government programmes recently, considering that most of the agencies are moving to SELinux and OSX. People try to act like Blackberries are the most secure, but, let's be honest...the Crown of Canada has always been able to get anything it has wanted off of the RIM servers and send it to any allied government that asked for it.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:00 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Sorry, I meant, what problems were you having?
Sorry...forgot about this thread.

Roughly once every five times I would try to use the camera, the phone would crash when I would tap the 'Camera' icon on the main screen. It would just go black and shut itself off and would then take a good minute before it would even think about booting back up. When I could get it to take pictures, the photo I took would show up on the preview screen but if I tapped it, only a black display would come up. If I tried to swipe to it from other photos, it would just bounce at the second to last photo as if it were the last one. The only way to fix this was to shut it off and turn it back on again. Both phones did this and the second one was even worse. Apart from the operational issues, I found it was heavy, the battery life sucked something fierce, and sometimes it would just lock up for no reason. I really do believe it was something of a whirlwind romance because I couldn't wait to get it home and shortly after it got there, I couldn't wait to get rid of it.

I've had my Samsung Fascinate for a month now and absolutely love it. It has been virtually flawless. After my experience with the Droid 2, I doubt I'll even consider Motorola in the future.