Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Thinking about switching to iPhone 4 from Droid 2

Old 11-02-2010, 01:25 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Thinking about switching to iPhone 4 from Droid 2

I've had almost every phone Verizon has to offer.. and now I am getting somewhat bored with my Droid 2. With my work I get an 8% discount with AT&T and have been strongly considering switching to an iPhone and keeping my VZW line to use for business line, but only the bare necessities.

I've been doing a lot of reading about the iPhone and have seen so many mixed feelings, can anyone give me thoughts or input about my switch?

I figure I can sale the D2 to pay for the iPhone and if I return the iPhone within 3 days (due to unhappy service) I don't have to pay any fees, from what I understand.

I've played with an iPhone a small amount and I like it, the touch screen is very accurate as oppose to my Droid.

Help I plan to pick one up TONIGHT lol
Old 11-02-2010, 03:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by AMUA6
I've had almost every phone Verizon has to offer.. and now I am getting somewhat bored with my Droid 2. With my work I get an 8% discount with AT&T and have been strongly considering switching to an iPhone and keeping my VZW line to use for business line, but only the bare necessities.

I've been doing a lot of reading about the iPhone and have seen so many mixed feelings, can anyone give me thoughts or input about my switch?

I figure I can sale the D2 to pay for the iPhone and if I return the iPhone within 3 days (due to unhappy service) I don't have to pay any fees, from what I understand.

I've played with an iPhone a small amount and I like it, the touch screen is very accurate as oppose to my Droid.

Did you get the new update? Supposedly it just got released this morning. Check your phone for updates if you haven't.

Droid 2 update begins with promise of better battery life and more
By Thomas Ricker posted Oct 28th 2010 6:14AM

We've receive a number of reports that a 2.3.20 software update for Verizon's Droid 2 is slowly making the rounds this morning. The OTA push promises a number of improvements and enhancements with the promise of better battery life, faster transitions between WiFi and 3G data connection, and quicker location tracking when using GPS being perhaps the most notable. Other enhancements include:
New ability to add pictures from your Gallery to a contact.
Export all your contacts to the SD card.
View details of Social Networking contacts.
VZ Navigator is now preloaded on device.
Click through the break for the full list of improvements.

Improvements:
Improved battery life.
Heightened proximity sensor accuracy to enable faster screen response.
View the Weather widget in both landscape and portrait orientation.
Simpler setup, improved user interactions, and better notifications for Visual Voice Mail.
Background Email Sync during display inactivity for better user experience.
Support for email domain suffixes containing more than three characters.
Keep text messages organized with chronological in-box screen.
Edit text messages after you've inserted a video file.
Improved audio sound during recorded video playbacks.
Stream Guided Tour videos on device in Help Center application with ease.
Faster location tracking during GPS navigation.
Faster transitions between Wi-Fi and 3G in data connection.
Source: http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/28/d...y-life-and-mo/

And straight from MotoMobile's Twitter:

DROID 2 users – a software update is now rolling out in phases. Enhancements in battery life, screen response & more: http://moto.ly/MR2
about 7 hours ago via HootSuite
Source: http://twitter.com/MotoMobile/status/29472435802

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 11-02-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my iphone seriously drops calls like crazy..ever since i got the iphone 4 it makes me SO mad i wanna throw it!
Old 11-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
i have the iphone 4 and probably had like 3-4 dropped call since owning it (5 months). i also had the iphone 3g and 3gs before. the iphone 4 is leaps and bounds above the previous 2 generations. most of my family members are with verizon so they have all the cool droid phones, such as the original droid, droid II, droid X, incredible, htc imagio, and sprint's Evo. touch screen wise, nothing beats the iphone 4; it's motion is much more fluid, more responsive and scrolling thru pages is so crisp. i can't say that about any of the droid phones, even the Evo. camera wise, it's just as good as the 8mp phones..sometimes even better esp. with HDR. screen wise, iphone 4 wins hands down. the closest competitor is the Evo. that's it!

with the lastest update (4.1), it solved the proximity sensor problem. i never had this problem so it didn't affect me. the only thing that is still ongoing is the antenna issue; but with a case, it's not a problem. also, it's random phone to phone bec. 3 of my buddies do not have the antenna issue. unlucky me!

overall, you won't be disappointed with the iphone 4; if you jailbreak it, you'll even be more happy. you got 30 days to try it out. give it a shot; you never know...you might not want to go back to droids anymore.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:51 PM

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,988 Posts
i dont really recall dropping calls on any version of the iphone i had (probably did but very rare so i dont remember)
Old 11-09-2010, 10:35 AM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
I currently have a Palm Pre and am planning on switching to iPhone 4 in the next week or two. I'd love to hear what you think if you try it out.

I agree with Silver - you have 30 days. If you don't like it, return it even with the restocking fee...

I figure I can always come back to Sprint and get a Evo if I don't like the iPhone but the chances of me not liking the iPhone are pretty small...
Old 11-10-2010, 09:09 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've owned 3 Iphones and 3 Android phones. I really enjoy the open, "full OS" feeling that Android gives me. I felt so tethered to a computer with the iphone and Itunes. With Android, i can side-load Mp3's, Apps, Files, whatever i want, wherever i want. No need to be locked to a software. Iphone changed the industry, but IOS really is too locked down for me. Having an Android based phone allows me to do so much more.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
i need a new phone and i want the iphone 4, but the antenna issue bugs me. i don't want to be one of the unlucky ones that has the issue and i don't like having a case on my phone
Old 11-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SG81
i need a new phone and i want the iphone 4, but the antenna issue bugs me. i don't want to be one of the unlucky ones that has the issue and i don't like having a case on my phone
yeah, that antenna issue doesn't affect all iphone 4s. some have it some don't; it's a chance you'll have to take. after i found out mine have the problem, i called the ATT store where i got it from wanting to exchange for another one. i was told that i can't because it's not a defect and that's why apple have the bumper program for it. but if i want to return the phone and cancel the contract, they'll be more than happy to do it....plus the hidden restocking fee/user pro-rated fee they never tell you about. since i already have the bumper and it's not such a big issue, i lived with it. i'm still pissed though bec. my buddies don't have the problem.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:20 PM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

my iphone 4 sucks, it drops calls everyday, sometimes my phone doesn't even ring i just get voicemails,and half of the txt dat are sent to me don't get received , plus the camera doesn't start up fast , it takes like 10 seconds

and this the new one i got 2 weeks ago

my 1st iphone 4 was a death trap, it used to shock my ears o_O , i know . . . . .as soon i told them that, they transferred to one of the head supervisors and he set me up with a new iphone , but it still sucks
Old 11-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^^ wow...sorry to hear about your problems. just keep going to apple about it and i'm sure they'll give you a new one every time for defects. mine has been working flawlessly even after it has been jailbroken with greenpoison. the only thing it have is the antenna issue but my case solved it. best of luck with yours.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:18 PM
The Box

Is it better to buy at AT&T or at Apple? Does it make a difference?
Old 11-14-2010, 09:25 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Stick with android, at least until we see what Gingerbread offers.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,182 Likes on 690 Posts
I hate my iPhone 4. I love the features and the phone but the service is TERRIBLE! I drop calls left and right and can't even send texts 1/2 the time without resending a few times.

I had an original iPhone and numerous 3G's on T-mobile for years with no problems but after switching to AT&T for the 4, nothing but terrible service.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Intermediate

why not wait for the iphone to come to Verizon? A lot of the rumors have been confirmed
Old 11-15-2010, 09:22 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
i think i'm just going to wait for the iphone 5
Old 11-15-2010, 11:25 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by dave_ramkumar
my iphone 4 sucks, it drops calls everyday, sometimes my phone doesn't even ring i just get voicemails,and half of the txt dat are sent to me don't get received , plus the camera doesn't start up fast , it takes like 10 seconds

and this the new one i got 2 weeks ago

my 1st iphone 4 was a death trap, it used to shock my ears o_O , i know . . . . .as soon i told them that, they transferred to one of the head supervisors and he set me up with a new iphone , but it still sucks
Originally Posted by 1StGenCL
I hate my iPhone 4. I love the features and the phone but the service is TERRIBLE! I drop calls left and right and can't even send texts 1/2 the time without resending a few times.

I had an original iPhone and numerous 3G's on T-mobile for years with no problems but after switching to AT&T for the 4, nothing but terrible service.
You guys need to keep in mind that the issues your experiencing are AT&T problems, not Iphone 4. Those with issue of service tend to be major urban centers where AT&T's network can't handle the load.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:27 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by SG81
i think i'm just going to wait for the iphone 5
I think I'm going to do the same thing. I have a 3g and am eligible for the upgrade but I figure at this point a new one is not that far off so I'll just wait.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:15 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by The Dougler
You guys need to keep in mind that the issues your experiencing are AT&T problems, not Iphone 4. Those with issue of service tend to be major urban centers where AT&T's network can't handle the load.
Then why are the AT&T Blackberries fine?
Old 11-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
I've never had a problem with AT&T and I've used all kinds of phones except for the iPhone.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by The Dougler
Originally Posted by alex2364
I've never had a problem with AT&T and I've used all kinds of phones except for the iPhone.
Yeah, I've had them for years. Since they were AT&T the first time around and never had an issue. I'm in and out of downtown, the Disney area, and all around the city for work and I never have issues with dropped calls, emails, bbm, text, MMS. Any of it. There is one spot in the remote area of the airport where I drop to Edge from 3G and will sometimes drop calls, but that's not an area people without clearance are supposed to be.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vas25tl
Is it better to buy at AT&T or at Apple? Does it make a difference?
i dont think it makes a difference. i bought my iphone from apple, 3gs from ATT and 4 from bestbuy mobile.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,182 Likes on 690 Posts
While I'm not sure if it is AT&T or Apple that is responsible for the dropped calls, I really don't care. To me, the iPhone 4 on AT&T is pretty much unusable and useless. All of my friends and family have complained and keep telling me to get a new phone because I drop them all.

I live in freakin Miami Beach and work in Miami which should have good coverage. I travel a lot for work and still have constant problems. I went to Best Buy who said it may be the phone and gave me a new one. AT&T blamed the sim so they replace that but still the same problem. I hate to do it but I think I'm going to return it
Old 11-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Ever since I've had my Moto Droid I haven't had any dropped calls unless I'm in a bad area. I travel a lot from Wa state to B.C. Canada and I use Verizons Canada plan so I don't have to get charged outrageous international calls.

I've since overclocked my phone and changed ROMs back and forth. I have not once lost site of changing to any other carrier because of Verizon's large network and the long list of good phones they carry.

In the mean time I've bought my wife an HTC Incredible and she loves it to death. She has told me countless times that she wouldn't change unless the phone just completely dies.

I've thought about the iPhone 4 before I changed to an Android phone. To be completely honest, I haven't looked back since the change.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:49 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
I've had the iPhone, 3G, 3GS, now the 4. Long story short, I love mine. Negatives are that it just feels really fragile and it does indeed drop more calls than I find enjoyable. But when you feel the need to upgrade, resale value of the iPhone is outstanding when unlocked. I sold my 32GB iPhone 3GS for $450 unlocked. Paid $300 for my iPhone 4...you do the math.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:59 PM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
I've been waiting for verizon to come out with the IPhone for months. I have an HTC smart phone now and have been using smart phones for a few years. The newer generations suck. If v had it today, I would pay whatever it costs for the Iphone.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I am not a fan of iphone. Its like giving your wife your nutz and crying foul. I felt so damn restricted and nickled and dimed the death on the iphone platform. fee here, fee there, you cant "truly" multi-task... blah blah. Not to mention Steve Jobs reusing old technology and talk as if its the new cutting edge. iPhone had so much potential, but its like buying a Bugatti with a fiat engine.... And why in blue hell does the iphone dictate which computer I use(syncing).... Blah, w/e Im pro-android. enough said.. This is just a rant due to past implications, and is not directed towards Happy Iphone users...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHngLJ0RlNg

Last edited by whudini3000; 11-21-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:15 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How's this for Iphone win. My cousin calls me up last night. He has an older Imac. he tried getting his new Iphone up and running on his Mac, but couldn't. Why? Because his older Imac wouldn't let him install the latest version of Itunes that was needed to activate the phone. When he called apple, they flat out told him, sorry, your OS is too old, you have to get an Intel based Mac. So, i went over with my 4 year old Netbook, with its 9 year old operating system (XP), and got his phone working. Now he's freaking out because he can't sync his music or anything. I spoke with an Apple rep and asked them why they make Itunes work for older Windows based OS', but not older Apple OS'. He couldn't answer me.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:18 AM
My Garage

Originally Posted by cjTL
I've had the iPhone, 3G, 3GS, now the 4. Long story short, I love mine. Negatives are that it just feels really fragile and it does indeed drop more calls than I find enjoyable. But when you feel the need to upgrade, resale value of the iPhone is outstanding when unlocked. I sold my 32GB iPhone 3GS for $450 unlocked. Paid $300 for my iPhone 4...you do the math.
Sounds like you have had iPhones for a while. Have you tried anything else?

I love the iPhone and used the 3G for almost 2 years. I switched to Android in January of this year and have never looked back. It would take a lot for me to switch back to the iphone after realizing everything you can do with Android.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:12 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Sounds like you have had iPhones for a while. Have you tried anything else?
I used a BB Bold briefly shortly after it came out and I didn't like it. I was used to the touchscreen. Dunno. Couldn't get used to the BB interface either.

I love Android also though. HTC Evo=win.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
I went to the Verizon store today and asked about specifics on Iphone. Was told by the store manager "We don't know if we will ever see an IPhone in the Verizon network. That is a myth that has gained allot of ground and I'm surprised that Verizon hasn't formally addressed it"

Looks like I'll be going for Android in 4G
Old 11-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by AMUA6

What do you mean by getting bored with it? If the phone functions properly, than I don't see you being any less bored with the iPhone. While there are some advantages with the iPhone, such as more fluid touchscreen/interface and high resolution screen, there's nothing about it that makes it any less "boring." Actually, there is a considerable amount of things you can do with your droid 2 that you can't do with an iPhone.

Sounds like to me that you'll get bored with any phone, no matter the features, once the newness wears off. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you do go ahead and get an iPhone 4, you'll be starting another thread here shortly stating how you're bored with you phone.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:53 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by jayhawk815
What do you mean by getting bored with it? If the phone functions properly, than I don't see you being any less bored with the iPhone. While there are some advantages with the iPhone, such as more fluid touchscreen/interface and high resolution screen, there's nothing about it that makes it any less "boring." Actually, there is a considerable amount of things you can do with your droid 2 that you can't do with an iPhone.

Sounds like to me that you'll get bored with any phone, no matter the features, once the newness wears off. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you do go ahead and get an iPhone 4, you'll be starting another thread here shortly stating how you're bored with you phone.
While anything can get boring over enough time, I find the iPhone much more boring than Android. iOS is just a grid of apps. Can't get much more boring than that. Every time I try to convince myself to go back to the iPhone, I pick one up and play with it, then put it back down after 2 minutes because I'm bored.

If I get bored with my Nexus, I just flash a new ROM
Old 11-26-2010, 06:47 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
I picked up a new Droid 2 just before Halloween and it has already been replaced once. The replacement is even worse than the first one and I can say without a doubt that this phone is the biggest piece of shit I have ever owned. And I had one of the very first iPhones...it was nowhere near as glitchy as this thing. It has been NOTHING but constant trouble...I regret the moment I ever fell for it. I am taking it back tomorrow and exchanging it under the Verizon 30 day satisfaction guarantee.

Stay away from this phone!!!!
Old 11-27-2010, 09:41 AM
My Garage

Originally Posted by PortlandRL
I picked up a new Droid 2 just before Halloween and it has already been replaced once. The replacement is even worse than the first one and I can say without a doubt that this phone is the biggest piece of shit I have ever owned. And I had one of the very first iPhones...it was nowhere near as glitchy as this thing. It has been NOTHING but constant trouble...I regret the moment I ever fell for it. I am taking it back tomorrow and exchanging it under the Verizon 30 day satisfaction guarantee.

Stay away from this phone!!!!
Why was it replaced?
Old 11-27-2010, 10:17 AM
ScoobyZINE

I forgot about this thread So I went to AT&T to get the iPhone and the sales rep ended up living near me and basically told me not to waste my time since I wouldn't have any service. Looking back on it, I'm glad everything did not work out. I love my Droid2, never had any problems out of it except the earpiece from where powder/dust gets in it.

And jayhawk makes a very valid point on my behalf.. And that's exactly why I'm glad I didn't go through with getting the phone. It isn't broken, then don't fix it.. right?
Old 11-27-2010, 10:19 AM
ScoobyZINE

Originally Posted by bigman
How's this for Iphone win. My cousin calls me up last night. He has an older Imac. he tried getting his new Iphone up and running on his Mac, but couldn't. Why? Because his older Imac wouldn't let him install the latest version of Itunes that was needed to activate the phone. When he called apple, they flat out told him, sorry, your OS is too old, you have to get an Intel based Mac. So, i went over with my 4 year old Netbook, with its 9 year old operating system (XP), and got his phone working. Now he's freaking out because he can't sync his music or anything. I spoke with an Apple rep and asked them why they make Itunes work for older Windows based OS', but not older Apple OS'. He couldn't answer me.
Another reason..
Old 11-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Why was it replaced?
Because the problems persisted after the hard reset. It was the store's decision to replace the phone so....
Old 11-28-2010, 10:53 AM
My Garage

Originally Posted by PortlandRL
Because the problems persisted after the hard reset. It was the store's decision to replace the phone so....
Sorry, I meant, what problems were you having?
Old 11-29-2010, 01:21 PM
The Box

Tested the iphone 4 in my basement over the weekend, I was actually able to make a call - unlike on my Pre from Sprint.

I think I'm very close to making the switch.

Quick Reply: Thinking about switching to iPhone 4 from Droid 2