Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Steve Jobs: "I'm going to destroy Android"

Old 10-27-2011, 02:50 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BraveDemon
Blackberry may be behind the curve in terms of gadget coolness/utility, but they are still very much persistent, maybe even dominant in most corporate settings. In my field, most large and mega Law Firms still issue BlackBerrys as work phones, mainly because their push notification system and BB messenger service were so dominant at the turn of the century.

Literally, all of my graduating peers who are working at Latham & Watkins, Paul Hastings, etc will usually be glued to their Blackberrys.

And many lawyers still use the old standard WordPerfect instead of Word - i.e. even though MS Word has been superior for quite sometime, many in the legal field still haven't switched... it'll likely be the same with Blackberrys in those large firm/corporate environments.

And Web-browsing on a phone, while convenient and nice in emergency/bored situations, isn't 100% necessary for work functions... its actually pretty effing annoying trying to look up case laws on a small 4-5 inch screen; I believe that most of the higher ups in corporate settings are now getting 3g/4g tablets for that purpose.
Again, using the internet is not ideal on a phone, but why pick a device that is worse at it than another device?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, as good as BB is at some things, unless you NEED a keyboard there is not really much reason to get on over iPhone/Android.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Creepy guy in the mirror.

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
There were always times when people didn't need things. Then those things became common and all of a sudden people need them. Smartphones in general are an example of this.

BB is very capable, but it does not browse the web like my phone can, it does not have the apps or developer support that my phone has, it doesn't take as good of a picture as my phone. So why not just get a device that does these things better?
Because the other device does not do the things I do need it to do as well.

Walk onto a construction site. There are air nailers everywhere - you will still see guys with hammers on their belt. Air nailers should have driven hammers into obsolescence but they haven't. Because an old fashioned hammer is the right thing in some cases.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:10 PM

Received 2,787 Likes on 1,987 Posts
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
aka marketing so what was your point again?

Apple has innovated where? nowhere they are excellent at taking crap and packaging it so that people will buy it.. they could come out with an iTurd and people would buy it at $500...why becuase of marketing.....
I wouldn't call the iPhone a piece of crap...
Old 10-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by BraveDemon
Blackberry may be behind the curve in terms of gadget coolness/utility, but they are still very much persistent, maybe even dominant in most corporate settings. In my field, most large and mega Law Firms still issue BlackBerrys as work phones, mainly because their push notification system and BB messenger service were so dominant at the turn of the century.

Literally, all of my graduating peers who are working at Latham & Watkins, Paul Hastings, etc will usually be glued to their Blackberrys.

And many lawyers still use the old standard WordPerfect instead of Word - i.e. even though MS Word has been superior for quite sometime, many in the legal field still haven't switched... it'll likely be the same with Blackberrys in those large firm/corporate environments.

And Web-browsing on a phone, while convenient and nice in emergency/bored situations, isn't 100% necessary for work functions... its actually pretty effing annoying trying to look up case laws on a small 4-5 inch screen; I believe that most of the higher ups in corporate settings are now getting 3g/4g tablets for that purpose.
Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
I'm not speaking for the whole US Army but my unit just issued out thousands of BB's to key leaders.
I'm not denying that BB is great for business, as it is a business-oriented phone! Many businesses, big or small, still use BB because of its email capability. But that's old news; today's iphones and android can do the same and some even better with all the integration with yahoo, google, twitter, facebook, myspace, etc! Thus, that's why they are taking over RIM's world market share. Just because you see people still using it doesn't mean it is doing well against its competitors. Nokia is the world leader but along with RIM, it is struggling also to keep pace with Apple and Android due to lack of innovation or tailoring to what customers want.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:18 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by JLatimer
Because the other device does not do the things I do need it to do as well.

Walk onto a construction site. There are air nailers everywhere - you will still see guys with hammers on their belt. Air nailers should have driven hammers into obsolescence but they haven't. Because an old fashioned hammer is the right thing in some cases.
Having never used a air nailer, I'm gonna assume a large part of that is because hammers can take nails out and pry materials, which can't be done with a air nailer. Also, they seem to be much larger and unwieldy, which could be a hazard.

What do you need to do on a BB that you can't do on a iphone/android?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

That's a good question to ask all those who still use BB.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,792 Likes on 13,976 Posts
Originally Posted by silver3.5
I'm not denying that BB is great for business, as it is a business-oriented phone! Many businesses, big or small, still use BB because of its email capability. But that's old news; today's iphones and android can do the same and some even better with all the integration with yahoo, google, twitter, facebook, myspace, etc! Thus, that's why they are taking over RIM's world market share. Just because you see people still using it doesn't mean it is doing well against its competitors. Nokia is the world leader but along with RIM, it is struggling also to keep pace with Apple and Android due to lack of innovation or tailoring to what customers want.
Um, dude...those have ZERO relevance to most companies.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Yumcha
Um, dude...those have ZERO relevance to most companies.
I was just using them as examples....as those are most common these days! But yes, BB does have its advantage with specific company programs/emails. But that doesn't mean Apple and Android can't do it either!
Old 10-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,313 Likes on 4,897 Posts
Proprietary programs utilizing push with many layers of encryption at low cost. Something my company, one of the largest IT companies out there, needs.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Senior Moderator

I was just using them as examples....as those are most common these days! But yes, BB does have its advantage with specific company programs/emails. But that doesn't mean Apple and Android can't do it either!
Let's go back to the keyboard thing Sly, me, and others have spoken about earlier.

What can I say: It's a physical thing. And honestly, as behind RIM is in some areas of the cellphone race, those developments are well, more catered to entertainment.

When it comes to practicality, the Blackberry still takes the cake.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:31 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Proprietary programs utilizing push with many layers of encryption at low cost. Something my company, one of the largest IT companies out there, needs.
So you're saying Android and Iphone can't utilize push and encryption?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:36 PM

I never said they couldnt, but can they do it at low cost?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Let's face it. This debate is like debating with my boss, who is 58 years old and a surgeon. His medical records is still paper based. I advised him many times to switch to EMR, as it is today's standard and will be required in the near future for all his certifications. He keeps rejecting it..simply saying "i'm more comfortable with paper!"
Old 10-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

I never said they couldnt, but can they do it at low cost?
How would you know how much it cost? Do you have inside knowledge of BB and how much they integrate this feature into their phones for this many $ compared to the competition?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:47 PM

How would you know how much it cost? Do you have inside knowledge of BB and how much they integrate this feature into their phones for this many $ compared to the competition?
I know how much we pay per phone. Thats what Im basing this on, not what it costs BB to make.

My company does not use a program that is made by RIM. Its an in-house program. Im sure they could create a program for Android that does the same thing, but the cost would most certainly be higher.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

I know how much we pay per phone. Thats what Im basing this on, not what it costs BB to make.

My company does not use a program that is made by RIM. Its an in-house program. Im sure they could create a program for Android that does the same thing, but the cost would most certainly be higher.
So you're basing this argument just from your lone company. Not a very good argument then.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:56 PM
My Garage

We are not even comparing the factory OS? This isn't really a valid argument.

I thought we were comparing phones and their capabilities.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Creepy guy in the mirror.

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
A fast, effective, secure push email with compression to keep data costs down. And large scale remote management of devices including policy enforcement.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:56 PM
I am #76,361,211,935

Received 344 Likes on 201 Posts
Again, using the internet is not ideal on a phone, but why pick a device that is worse at it than another device?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, as good as BB is at some things, unless you NEED a keyboard there is not really much reason to get on over iPhone/Android.
Conversely, unless you NEED a rich internet experience (which the vast
majority of business users don't) you can't beat the Blackberry as an e-mail
appliance.

Given its preeminence in that market segment, why WOULD you even look at
something else? (again, if what you really NEED is a secure, solid, well supported,
market leading email appliance)

Like civicdriver I will state what I know about the company I work for, and not
make sweeping generalizations about "the world" that can't be backed by
empirical data. The company I work for (6000+ employees, >1B annual sales,
multi-national) predominantly uses Blackberry. Our IT dept. will (grudgingly)
support iPhone and Android devices as well but the corporate workflow for
ordering a phone gives a selection of Blackberry devices only.

Blackberry isn't a great consumer phone. They tried to penetrate that market
and haven't done well. Their products aren't "flashy" and "cool" like an iPhone
or as "open" and "geek friendly" as an Android phone - but in terms of what
they do well - an email appliance business "tool" - they're hard to beat.
The following 2 users liked this post by underdog:
JLatimer (10-27-2011), Yumcha (10-27-2011)
Old 10-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
I've handled a keyboard BB. I owned a Samsung Blackjack and a 8525. I can type faster on my iPhone. I know that's a personal thing, but there it is.

As companies eventually change over to mobile computing, especially in the healthcare sector, they'll need phones that can interact with tablets. This is where an ecosystem like Apple really thrives. Because three people bought the Playbook.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:09 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by underdog
Conversely, unless you NEED a rich internet experience (which the vast
majority of business users don't) you can't beat the Blackberry as an e-mail
appliance.

Given its preeminence in that market segment, why WOULD you even look at
something else? (again, if what you really NEED is a secure, solid, well supported,
market leading email appliance)

Like civicdriver I will state what I know about the company I work for, and not
make sweeping generalizations about "the world" that can't be backed by
empirical data. The company I work for (6000+ employees, >1B annual sales,
multi-national) predominantly uses Blackberry. Our IT dept. will (grudgingly)
support iPhone and Android devices as well but the corporate workflow for
ordering a phone gives a selection of Blackberry devices only.

Blackberry isn't a great consumer phone. They tried to penetrate that market
and haven't done well. Their products aren't "flashy" and "cool" like an iPhone
or as "open" and "geek friendly" as an Android phone - but in terms of what
they do well - an email appliance business "tool" - they're hard to beat.
I am a corporate user and BB is good for corporate use, but that's about it. If I only used my phone for email, I might consider a BB, but I don't.

I do use it to browse the internet, to access my system remotely through Citrix, to navigate to destinations, to play games, even sometimes as a remote for my Fios TV. All of my Google services are integrated seamlessly, including GMail, Calendar, Google Voice, Finance, Music, and Picassa. And yes, my corporate email is pushed flawlessly. It's a lot more than just rich websites.

I don't want a solid email phone any more than I want a Word Processor. It's not flashy or cool, it's multi-functional, highly purposeful, and more supported than any BB. Take a look at that BB app store, it's awful because no developers want to support a OS that nobody will be using in a few years.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:21 AM

So you're basing this argument just from your lone company. Not a very good argument then.
Its not like my company is some little mom-n-pop place from a small town. They employ over 400k people worldwide, and that's not including contractors.

And as underdog said, Im not trying to paint the entire business smartphone landscape with a broad brush. Just trying to show that there still are large corporations in the IT field that still use BBs.

We are not even comparing the factory OS? This isn't really a valid argument.

I thought we were comparing phones and their capabilities.
No, Im referring to a singular program. Not a different OS. We're currently running v5.0, which yes, is old, but its an old phone.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by Mizouse
I wouldn't call the iPhone a piece of crap...
I wouldn't either, just not my preference at this time for my intended purposes. And that's the entire premise of this discussion. Though some like to completely trash other people's phones and question their intelligence.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:41 PM
Senior Moderator

And your argument isn't very convincing either. I hear a lot of opinions and preferences with few facts or examples to back it up

Different strokes for different folks.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:41 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,280 Likes on 6,230 Posts
I asked in the bb outage thread and I'll ask again here. What email features does BB have that are so much better than activesync and Exchange that it's worth setting up and maintaining a BES/BIS server?
Old 10-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
I asked in the bb outage thread and I'll ask again here. What email features does BB have that are so much better than activesync and Exchange that it's worth setting up and maintaining a BES/BIS server?
Corporate control and encryption

The US government LOVES the centralized structure and management especially.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:18 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,280 Likes on 6,230 Posts
Activesync has encryption
Old 10-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,150 Posts
Bb has more control over the device. Things such as forcing device to lock if not in use for x time, how many failed password attempts before the device wipes itself, and remotely wiping the device. Those things can be managed by the bes server.

But yeah, other than that active sync has caught up. The average small business does not need bb. Bb lost it's ability to inovate and lead the market some years back. They got lazy. I think of them as the Novell of mobile email. Their product is a little bit better but expensive. Novell had the same problem. Microsoft is going to eat them alive.

Last edited by doopstr; 10-28-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:28 AM
My Garage

Originally Posted by doopstr
Bb has more control over the device. Things such as forcing device to lock if not in use for x time, how many failed password attempts before the device wipes itself, and remotely wiping the device. Those things can be managed by the bes server.

But yeah, other than that active sync has caught up. The average small business does not need bb. Bb lost it's ability to inovate and lead the market some years back. They got lazy. I think of them as the Novell of mobile email. Their product is a little bit better but expensive. Novell had the same problem. Microsoft is going to eat them alive.
Which is exactly my point. Apple and Android adapted to the corporate world and did what they have to do to make their phones purposeful in that environment.

BB did not do what they needed to do to make their phones relevant in the social environment. That is why they will fail without major and impressive improvements and adaptions.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,342 Likes on 5,253 Posts
Originally Posted by wackjum
From what I've read here and there, it seems Steve Jobs was a brilliant innovator and well regarded businessman, but lacked on personal skills.

He was supposedly difficult to work for and work under. I don't think he had many close personal relationships. I find it telling that after his death, I heard a lot of "the world lost a true genius" but not once did I hear "I've lost a friend" from any close industry people.
oddly,

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/30/op...pagewanted=all
Steve was like a girl in the amount of time he spent talking about love. Love was his supreme virtue, his god of gods. He tracked and worried about the romantic lives of the people working with him.
maybe that's why he spent so much time talking about it, maybe so much time that he could not figure it out himself, instead spending his time analyzing it?
Old 10-31-2011, 04:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,342 Likes on 5,253 Posts
btw to everyone who says Steve Jobs never invented anything, this, is what inventing something means:
Intubated, when he couldn’t talk, he asked for a notepad. He sketched devices to hold an iPad in a hospital bed. He designed new fluid monitors and x-ray equipment. He redrew that not-quite-special-enough hospital unit. And every time his wife walked into the room, I watched his smile remake itself on his face.
he was clearly an inventor and a true visionary. and, judging from the above paragraph, in a more dedicated and passionate way than your 'regular' inventor.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:24 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Definitely. To be fair, I think Steve was indeed an inventor and innovator. There is no doubt about it. That being said, he was not the Fifth Element...the Perfect Being. There are examples of him stealing ideas. But, he also invented some things.

That's all.
The following users liked this post:
05TLdcc (10-31-2011)
Old 10-31-2011, 06:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,150 Posts
Notepad? Why not iPad? Spent all that time inventing it and he couldn't even use it to draw his last notes? In the word of Steve Jobs himself, "this is shit."

Last edited by doopstr; 10-31-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by srika
btw to everyone who says Steve Jobs never invented anything, this, is what inventing something means:

he was clearly an inventor and a true visionary. and, judging from the above paragraph, in a more dedicated and passionate way than your 'regular' inventor.
Sounds like Howard Hughes and his adjustable hospital bed he designed while recovering.