Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Sprint Vision, text Messaging ?

Old 02-03-2004 | 12:56 AM
Balla on a Budget

Sprint Vision, text Messaging ?

Hey guys, is Vision the only way that i can get Text messaging from Sprint, I have been payin $15 a month for this service and i think its toooo much. Thanks
Old 02-03-2004 | 01:02 AM
Safety Car

moving over to mobile.
Old 02-03-2004 | 02:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

they say sms is coming soon
Old 02-03-2004 | 08:23 AM
Race Director

SMS Text Messaging is already working in a few places including Kansas City. It will be nationwide very soon. I don't know what the rate plans will be, you may want to call Customer Solutions, they might have some info by now. I think there will be some grandfathering (read: free) going on so whatever you do, I suggest to signup/continue/stay with whatever you have now.
Old 02-03-2004 | 08:35 AM
The Creator

i receive messages via normal SMS now..... as of the last 2 weeks or so. but i still have to send them via Short Mail.
Old 02-03-2004 | 06:15 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by soopa
i receive messages via normal SMS now..... as of the last 2 weeks or so. but i still have to send them via Short Mail.
...coming soon. VERY soon. Your Short Mail will be "history".
Old 02-04-2004 | 12:10 AM
My Avator

good, i hate that short mail shit. need real text messaging.
Old 02-04-2004 | 11:02 AM
Still trolling

For a carrier that prides itself in being on the cutting edge of technology deployment, the MOSMS rollout is 3 years late. The Short mail was a ploy to bill airtime to compose messages. That was when I switched.

If Sprint fixes the MOSMS situation, I think they will "win" back customers.
Old 02-04-2004 | 03:49 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by suXor
For a carrier that prides itself in being on the cutting edge of technology deployment, the MOSMS rollout is 3 years late. The Short mail was a ploy to bill airtime to compose messages. That was when I switched.

If Sprint fixes the MOSMS situation, I think they will "win" back customers.
Perhaps. But it was hardly a "ploy" since I was there, I know why it [didn't] happen. ShortMail was all we had. It's not like we had MOSMS and "held it back". Yep, but better late than never I guess.
Old 02-04-2004 | 06:20 PM
Still trolling

Originally posted by kensteele
better late than never I guess.
true...true
Old 02-06-2004 | 12:40 PM
Racer

i have Vision Now on my phone and it is terrible...I never get text messages and to use Vision it is so slow...It take like 5 min to view a text...
Then I cant even delete all my text messages... you have to do them one at a time...and it takes 5 min to do each of theose...Im so frustrated with this Vision...
Old 02-06-2004 | 01:08 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by 20th4Me
i have Vision Now on my phone and it is terrible...I never get text messages and to use Vision it is so slow...It take like 5 min to view a text...
Then I cant even delete all my text messages... you have to do them one at a time...and it takes 5 min to do each of theose...Im so frustrated with this Vision...
Are you referring to 2way text messaging or are you talking about Short Mail?

Because if you are talking about Short Mail, then
Old 02-06-2004 | 03:18 PM
Racer

Short Mail... How can I just text? This is the only way, Right? When others text me it goes to short mail...
Old 02-06-2004 | 08:34 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by 20th4Me
Short Mail... How can I just text? This is the only way, Right? When others text me it goes to short mail...
Sorry about that, Short Mail is pretty lousy.

Sprint is rolling out text messaging, just like all the other carriers. With your [new] phone, you'll be able to simply send a text message right from your phone to any other mobile phone or email address...without going into the browser.

This is already working in some markets. Today I can even sent a text message to a Verizon phone from my Sprint phone.
Old 02-07-2004 | 01:11 AM
Sweet as Gold

I'm considering Sprint within the next couple of weeks...Basically whats this short mail problem you guys are talking about. Also what is Vision. Can someone please esplain these to me in plain english and inform me of any other downsides to getting Sprint. Thinking about getting the Samsung 4500 w/ camera/speakerphone/video recorder. Any tips???
Old 02-07-2004 | 02:21 AM
Sweet as Gold

The phone is actually a Sanyo model SCP-5500 or VM4500...same phone w/ two part numbers...phone is hot w/ digi-cam, video, speakerphone, the works. But I just checked their website and under messaging it says short mail, email, and something else. It doesn't say SMS (whatever the hell that is) so what kinda troubles will I have w/ the answers from the post right above this one???
Old 02-07-2004 | 01:58 PM
Race Director

PCS Vision is Internet in the Sprint phone. You can download ringer, wallpaper, games, and other applications using PCS Vision. You can check your email, check the weather, and go to various websites with PCS Vision. PCS Vision is only available on PCS Vision capable handsets (which is almost the entire Sprint lineup) and it costs a bit extra. Also included in PCS Vision is the ability to type a short message and send it to another Sprint phone. That other Sprint phone can read your message and then reply. That's called Short Mail.

So practically all Sprint phones have PCS Vision. Now Sprint is introducing something called Text Messaging (SMS) where you can simply type a message into your phone and send it to another phone (Sprint, Verizon, etc) or to an email address. This is outside of PCS Vision (browser). So there are phones with Text Messaging capability that do NOT have PCS Vision. I don't know what the costs are for Text Messaging.

The VM4500 has Short Mail (because it has PCS Vision) AND it has Text Messaging capability. Once Text Messaging is available in your area, your Short Mail will stop working and Text Messaging will take over.

In additon, the VM4500 has Picture Mail and Video Mail capability. It also has a speakerphone and it has PCS Ready Link (PTT) capability. It is the finest overall phone in North America today IMO. But just like the N.F.L......
Old 02-08-2004 | 12:04 AM
Sweet as Gold

So if I get it next week...and the SMS isn't in my area yet...will I be able to send regular text messages to my girlfriend w/ a verizon phone???I was ablt to do this before w/ my AT+T phone and don't want to lose this capability.
Old 02-08-2004 | 08:24 AM
Racer

My Girlfriend has Verizon and we send text messages to each other...I sometimes dont recieve them or I get them hours later...but it works pretty good other then being slow...
Old 02-08-2004 | 01:31 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by Ant7701
So if I get it next week...and the SMS isn't in my area yet...will I be able to send regular text messages to my girlfriend w/ a verizon phone???I was ablt to do this before w/ my AT+T phone and don't want to lose this capability.
If you get that phone and text messaging is not available in your area yet, you will NOT be able to send her a reqular text message. The only way from your phone to her phone is to use the email capability (like Yahoo) in your phone and compose and send her an email to 10digitphonenumber@vtext.com;....but don't worry text message will be there shortly in a matter of weeks, you'd only be out for a couple of weeks. Sprint services are always nationwide.
Old 02-08-2004 | 03:36 PM
Sweet as Gold

OK kensteele...that info helps alot. Just one other question. I'm in a trial version of T-mobile right now w/ the motorola V300 and ablsoultely love the phone...but not too crazy about the GSM service. It doesn't operate in my job and since I'm there most of the time...I'm considering Sprint or Verizon. I've had AT+T w/ their CDMA or TDMA service and that works great...however there aren't any nice phones for that service anymore. So are there any phones for Sprint or Verizon that has a camera, speakerphone, and the basics that the V300 has???Other than the Sanyo VM4500??Or ones that will be coming out shortly??Also I heard that Sprint owns Verizon and whenever Sprint phones lose service, the phone uses Verizon's lines making Sprint the best service in the tri-state area for reception and service...IS THIS TRUE???Cause the t-mobile breaks up alot and loses connection.
Old 02-08-2004 | 03:55 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by Ant7701
I'm in a trial version of T-mobile right now w/ the motorola V300 and ablsoultely love the phone...but not too crazy about the GSM service. It doesn't operate in my job and since I'm there most of the time...I'm considering Sprint or Verizon. I've had AT+T w/ their CDMA or TDMA service and that works great...however there aren't any nice phones for that service anymore.

If your V300 is unlocked, you can sign up for another GSM service and still use your V300 phone. How about AT&T or Cingular?

So are there any phones for Sprint or Verizon that has a camera, speakerphone, and the basics that the V300 has???Other than the Sanyo VM4500?? Or ones that will be coming out shortly??

Sprint has the Sanyo 8100, the Samsung VGA-1000, the Sanyo 5300 and the Toshiba 4050 and Verizon has the LG 6000. Only the 4050 has a speakerphone. If you can wait until Spring, you'll see many more to select from.

Also I heard that Sprint owns Verizon and whenever Sprint phones lose service, the phone uses Verizon's lines making Sprint the best service in the tri-state area for reception and service...IS THIS TRUE???Cause the t-mobile breaks up alot and loses connection.

Sprint doesn't own Verizon. But they have roaming agreements. That means that where your Sprint phone loses service, when set it will go into roaming and most likely that will be Verizon. And vice-versa.
Old 02-08-2004 | 04:27 PM
Sweet as Gold

No it's not unlocked...just got it three days ago and have 14 days to decide if I want to keep it or not. My AT+T V60 is still signed up but the contract is up so I can shop for a new phone. I can wait til the Spring but not sure if I want to. I really like the 4500 and not too crazy about the Toshiba phone...the only thing is I was just doing some research on Sprints plans...holy shit are they expensive!!!And not to mention every feature cost like an extra $15 per month...I would be paying like $90 per month to get the sane features I get w/ t-mobile for $45. Man am I confused!!!!Thanks for all ur help man...greatly helped.