Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Sprint Launches Nationwide Streaming Video and Audio

Old 08-13-2004, 04:45 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sprint Launches Nationwide Streaming Video and Audio

Sprint Launches Nationwide Streaming Video and Audio in United States on the First Built-In MediaPlayer Phone from Samsung

Sprint and Samsung bring mobile content to life with a power-packed device featuring the industry’s first combination media player, megapixel camera, stereo sound and content from the most innovative television and movie studios

OVERLAND PARK, Kan. — August 13, 2004
Sprint (NYSE: FON) today announced the launch of Sprint PCS VisionSM Multimedia Services, a service that offers streaming video and audio content available nationwide. The Sprint PCS Vision Multimedia Phone MM-A700 by Samsung® will be the first CDMA device in the United States to deliver streaming audio and video content from familiar sources such as CNN, NBC, FOX Sports, The Weather Channel, E! Entertainment, mFlix, Twentieth Century Fox, AccuWeather and 1KTV.

Consumers using this first-of-its-kind device and service will be able to access more than 600 new streaming video and audio clips every day, covering the latest news, weather, sports and entertainment. The service offers a wide range of content for everyone – from NFL injury reports to red-carpet interviews from E! Entertainment. The launch of this service further fortifies Sprint’s lead in the mobile data market.

“Sprint PCS Vision Multimedia Services represents a milestone in delivering innovative new ways to connect people to the world around them where they want, when they want, in a dramatically new way,” said Jeff Hallock, vice president – Product Marketing and Strategy, Sprint. “Whether it’s an unforgettable moment during the presidential campaign, a summer games first or simply killing time with a needed fix for the best dressed at the Emmy Awards, Sprint is delivering an experience unlike anything seen before on a mobile phone.”

“Samsung is the first in the United States to offer a CDMA phone with the processing power capable of delivering streaming content,” noted Peter Skarzynski, senior vice president of Samsung’s wireless division. “The MM-A700 by Samsung showcases the breadth of Samsung’s capabilities by combining industry-best screens, hi-resolution imaging and streaming video technology in a distinct form factor consumers desire.”

The MM-A700 by Samsung enables customers to listen and view audio/video clips on-demand in real time directly from the phone’s 262K TFT full-color screen. The content, decompressed and played on the embedded media player, is directly delivered to the handset from the high-speed (CDMA1X) Sprint PCS Vision network, eliminating the download process and the storage of files on the handset. Video and audio content is streamed to the MM-A700 by Samsung at 15 frames per second (fps).

The 4.2-ounce clamshell MM-A700 by Samsung also features a megapixel camera and digital camcorder, allowing consumers to send/receive hi-resolution images or videos with Sprint PCS Picture Mail(SM) and Sprint PCS Video Mail services. Users also will enjoy the added benefit of the MM-A700 by Samsung’s Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) quality, providing unparalleled CD-like sound quality when listening to multimedia video and audio content such as Music Tone ringers from Sprint.

Sprint’s legacy with mobile multimedia began two years ago with the launch of industry-first technology like 1KTV and Idetic’s MobiTV, the leading provider of live and on-demand multimedia content for wireless networks.

With Sprint PCS Vision Multimedia Services, Sprint PCS Vision subscribers can browse and stream the various channels in the service. Initially, Sprint will offer 10 channels to choose from for accessing audio and video content. Content can be accessed in two primary categories:

1) My Channels: a ‘basic cable’ type package consisting of:

Ch. 1 = Sprint TV, which is a compilation of content from NBC, FOX Sports, The Weather Channel and more. The content and technology for Sprint TV are being delivered by MobiTV.
Ch. 20 = Twentieth Century Fox, that offers free movie trailers;
Ch. 49 = The Preview Channel, which offers free previews of all channels; and
Ch. 24 = Athens on Location – free summer games highlights from NBC through Aug. 29.

2) Premium Channels: this is a more in-depth service that provides more content more frequently as determined by the channel content providers. The additional premium services channels available at launch are:

Ch. 2 = CNNtoGO - $4.95/month
Ch. 3 = FOX Sports - $4.95/month
Ch. 4 = The Weather Channel - $4.95/month
Ch. 5 = 1KTV - $4.95/month
Ch. 7 = mFlix - $4.95/month
Ch. 8 = E! Entertainment - $4.95/month
Ch. 14 = AccuWeather - $3.95/month

The providers determine and create the unique mobile viewing content and customers have the opportunity to subscribe to Sprint TV or one specific channel. The content providers offer new clips every day plus hourly updates, ensuring the content is fresh and current. Sprint TV content and premium channels will continue to be expanded.

The MM-A700 by Samsung is available in Sprint Stores nationwide and online at www.sprintpcs.com for at a retail price of $399.99 or $249.99 after rebate with two-year agreement. Sprint PCS Vision subscribers may add Sprint TV to their existing Sprint PCS Vision plan for $9.99 per month. Or, subscribers may choose the Sprint Multimedia Pack and get unlimited free access to Sprint TV, in addition to Picture Mail, Video Mail, Vision and 100 SMS for just $25.00 per month. All multimedia services plans are in addition to voice calling.

Old 08-13-2004, 05:45 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,843 Likes on 2,583 Posts
cool
Old 08-13-2004, 07:57 PM
Duck Fuke!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice
Old 08-13-2004, 09:03 PM
Diamonds are forever...

nice Was about to buy that vm4500 today, but I guess since this came out I'll get it instead. Good lookin out!
Old 08-13-2004, 09:23 PM
Movin on up...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
great idea...but kinda pricey to watch nothing good...
Old 08-13-2004, 09:42 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
the only thing i don't like about att's video service is that there is no live tv, its all video clips. and i am assuming the same for sprint.
i have been using our new 6620 for a coupla days. and its hella cool
Old 08-13-2004, 10:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Sorry Ken. Had to make a little change to your thread. See if you can find it. I'll edit if it pisses you or the other mods off.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:07 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by dallison
the only thing i don't like about att's video service is that there is no live tv, its all video clips. and i am assuming the same for sprint.
i have been using our new 6620 for a coupla days. and its hella cool
Sprint has had live TV for nearly a year now.

http://www.mobitv.com/

Here's where we talked about it: http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121192
Old 08-13-2004, 10:08 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Sorry Ken. Had to make a little change to your thread. See if you can find it. I'll edit if it pisses you or the other mods off.
Yeah you gotta change that back. This is an official press release.

But it's pretty funny, being the big money maker that it is.