Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Sony: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 07:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,395 Likes on 700 Posts
Arrow Sony: Phone News and Discussion Thread

https://www.wired.com/review/sony-xperia-1-ii/

Review: Sony Xperia 1 II

After years of punching below its weight, Sony finally found the formula for making an excellent phone. Too bad it costs so much.
Rating:8/10

Photograph: Sony
WIRED
Great camera system with robust photo and video controls for enthusiasts. The device feels fantastic to hold. Nice 4K, 21:9 screen. Simple Android software. Will (likely) get 2 years of Android updates. Good battery life. There's a headphone jack! It's also water resistant and has MicroSD card support.
TIRED
Expensive. No 5G in the US model. Body is slippery. Screen is dim outdoors.
The last time I saw a Sony Xperia phone in the wild was when I visited Japan in 2018. A sea of Xperias, iPhones, and the occasional Nintendo Switch stood out in Tokyo's bustling (and punctual!) Metro subway. I don't think I'll ever see such a sight anywhere else in the world, and that's a shame. I say that because Sony now owns less than 1 percent of the global smartphone market share, yet the new Xperia 1 II is (so far) one of my favorite phones of the year.

If you told me in January that I'd write the last part of that sentence, I'd have laughed. But hey, 2020 has been filled with shock and surprise. After years of testing Sony phones that didn't quite click, what makes this one so special? Well, it's a complete package—from a wonderfully cinematic screen, solid battery life, and a strong camera system, to reliable build quality and simple software. This is the best smartphone Sony has ever made.

But—and there's always a but—it's not without flaws. I mean, can we talk about the name? For clarity, it's pronounced Xperia "One Mark Two," following the naming structure of things like Sony's own A9 II camera or Iron Man's suits. That doesn't stop me (and inevitably, most people) from calling it the Xperia One Two. Also, it's $1,200—a very steep asking price even if we weren't in a climate where more than 40 million Americans are out of a job.
Camera Synergy
1 / 11
Photograph: Julian Chokkattu
Sony Xperia 1 II, portrait mode. This is one of the few portrait mode shots I really like. Often, the software makes errors when applying the blur effect around the outline of a subject.
If you prize the camera experience on a phone above everything else, it's worth looking at the Xperia 1 II. Its best traits lie in its camera system, which was codeveloped with Sony engineers that make its popular Alpha 9 mirrorless cameras. Most people just want to point their phone at a subject and tap a button to get a photo. And you can do that with the Xperia 1 II, but Sony is explicitly targeting photo enthusiasts and professionals, people who like to manually tinker with their camera settings to control every aspect of a shot.

There are 3 12-megapixel cameras: a zoom, an ultrawide, and the main camera, which has a large, 1/1.7-inch image sensor (that's bigger than the one in the iPhone 11 Pro). A larger sensor gives it the ability to take in more light for better night photos.

This is one of my favorite camera systems since the Google Pixel 4; in fact, the Xperia sometimes surpasses the Pixel in image quality. Photos snapped during the day are wonderfully rich in detail and color, and despite no dedicated night mode, the Xperia 1 II manages to generate surprisingly well-lit images with little noise at night. That even extends to the zoom and ultrawide-angle cameras, though to a slightly lesser degree.

The faults start to show when you shoot high-contrast scenes. You can see a comparison with the Pixel 4 in the photo gallery (the photo of the girl and the dog), where Google's phone is much more capable of keeping the whole scene exposed correctly, whereas the Xperia captures a frame that's blindingly white on one side. The Xperia 1 II's dedicated portrait mode can sometimes snap something magical like the example in the gallery of my dog, where you can see all the pores in my dog's very boopable nose. More often however, portrait mode can miss by making bokeh errors around a subject.

More importantly, the camera is less forgiving than phones like the Pixel when it comes to camera shake. This is particularly true in low-light scenes—keeping the phone steady as much as possible goes a long way to ensuring a blur-free result. It means the Pixel 4 is the more consistent performer of the 2, as I usually had to retake a photo, tap on the screen, or fiddle around with something on the Xperia.
A Pro Playground This is around 85 photos stitched together, captured with the Xperia 1 II's continuous autofocus and autoexposure burst mode. My dog ran at me and every single photo was in focus on his face. The original is much higher quality, but converting it to a GIF and then uploading it to our video player compresses it. A lot. Video: Julian ChokkattuA few of the inconsistencies I found in the default camera app, like frequently over-exposed photos, can be avoided by switching to Sony's Photography Pro app, which comes preinstalled on the phone. It offers far more granular controls than what you get on most other smartphones—even those with dedicated manual modes in the camera app. You'll find an interface that's very similar to the one on Sony's professional cameras, allowing you the option to set things like shutter speed, ISO, focus area, auto or manual focus, auto-exposure lock, and continuous shooting mode.

This app mimics the feel of using a professional camera, but it can't quite match the ergonomic experience of twiddling with a camera's physical knobs and buttons (though there is a physical shutter button on the edge of the phone). Still, I can't deny that the Xperia 1 II comes close to the real thing. I've taken far more photos with this phone than many others I've tested this year, because it makes me feel more creative, which is precisely what I want from my gear.

What makes taking photos on this phone fun are features like Eye Autofocus (AF), a trick pulled from Sony's professional cameras where the camera can recognize a subject's eyes and keep them in focus. It works on people and pets, and it usually does a good job of tracking and maintaining focus automatically. The camera also knows what it should focus on when you use AF-ON in Photo Pro, and this is most evident in the continuous burst shooting mode. Just press and hold the shutter, and it snaps 20 frames per second and maintains exposure and focus throughout. It works like a charm, focusing accurately on all 85 photos I snapped of my dog as he ran toward me.

Photos are stored as JPEGs right now, but Sony says RAW support is on the way. When that arrives, it will give you greater control when you're editing them in apps like Adobe Lightroom.

Another app that comes preinstalled is Cinematography Pro, which I daresay I had a little more fun with. It shoots in 4K with a widescreen 21:9 aspect ratio and at 24 frames per second, making all your clips look like they're from an indie film. You can also shoot at 120 fps for some cinematic-looking slow motion, as well as tweak settings like shutter speed and even pull manual focus. Not to mention the preloaded "looks" you can add to your footage for a color-graded effect.

If you're serious about shooting video, you should pair this phone with some type of smartphone gimbal or tripod, as its image stabilization mechanism could be better. I also noticed autofocus isn't as strong in video as it is in photos. Still, I had a blast shooting videos with this Xperia. Samsung and Apple's phones might be able to capture some of the technically best and expertly stabilized videos, but Sony will let you have fun along the way.
Apex XperiaAnd the rest of the phone? I don't have much to complain about. I love the way it sits in my hand. It's very narrow—because of the 6.5-inch screen's 21:9 aspect ratio, it feels like you're holding a TV remote. My hands are able to wrap around it, and I can reach most parts of the display easily (though I have large hands, so you might have more difficulty). Plus, the fingerprint sensor is on the right edge of the phone, and it's proven to be faster and more accurate than most in-display fingerprint sensors on other phones today.

The 4K HDR OLED screen is a visual treat, offering up delectably beautiful colors in films like Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse on Netflix. Paired with the front-facing stereo speakers, it makes for an excellent way to watch anything when you're away from your TV. My only complaint about the screen? It's too darn dim in sunny conditions outdoors.

I've had no trouble with the battery—the 4,000-mAh cell often lasts me the entire day with heavy use—and the Snapdragon 865 chip with 8 gigabytes of RAM inside keeps performance buttery smooth. The software experience is an uncluttered form of stock Android too, with little to no bloatware, and Sony says it usually attempts to offer 2 years of software updates, which is good to hear.

I've encountered a few minor bugs, like how during phone calls the screen sometimes doesn't turn off when it's up to my ear, so my cheek ends up hitting the mute button. And the phone also retains the classic Sony trait of being way too slippery. I'll admit, I'm impressed I haven't shattered the screen or glass back with how many times this phone has slid off surfaces (or out of my pocket while I'm sitting), but it has suffered some scuffs around the edges. I strongly suggest you
get a case"><span style=get a case" /> get a case">get a case

But overall, I'm surprised at how much I've enjoyed using this Xperia—so much so that I didn't want to switch back to another phone, which is truly a first for me when it comes to Sony phones. Oh, did I also mention you get a headphone jack, wireless charging, 256 GB of storage, a MicroSD card slot, and IP65/68-rated water resistance?
The HoldoutPhotograph: SonyMost phone manufacturers cite 5G, the next-gen mobile network, as a reason for higher prices. Unfortunately, the Xperia 1 II doesn't support 5G in the US, though it does support it internationally. Normally I wouldn't care, as 5G networks are nascent and don't offer much value yet, but the lack of its presence here makes the $1,200 price tag a bit of a head-scratcher. The phone doesn't go on sale until July 24, but if you preorder the device from retailers like B&H, you can get Sony's excellent WF-1000XM3 earbuds bundled in for free. Those buds are normally $200, which makes the high cost of the phone a bit more stomachable.

I think this phone is best suited to tinkerers—folks that don't mind fiddling around with settings to get the display calibrated exactly right, messing the equalizer to tune the audio to their liking, or futzing with the camera controls to grab a better shot. If that's not you, look to phones like the Pixel 4 or iPhone 11, which have equally great cameras that don't require you to do as much work to get a stunning result. We also have plenty of other options in our Best Android Phones and Best Cheap Phones guides.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:18 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Cnet

https://www.cnet.com/news/sony-xperi...elephoto-lens/

Sony Xperia 1 II review: Yep, that's a real telephoto lens

With a $1,200 price tag, Sony's new flagship brings more mirrorless camera features to your pocket.

Patrick Holland
June 15, 2020 6:00 a.m. PT
Listen
- 08:01
The tall slim squared-off exterior of the Sony Xperia 1 II hides a slew of filmmaking and photography features for creatives.
Patrick Holland/CNET When I told someone about the Sony Xperia 1 II, their first reaction was, "Sony still makes phones?!" Granted, this phone isn't aimed at the masses like an iPhone 11 Pro or a Samsung Galaxy S20. Sony is after creative types who want more control over their photos and videos. That's why the company packed the $1,200 (£1,099) Xperia with controls and tools from its popular Alpha line of full-frame mirrorless cameras, and that's what I'll be looking at exclusively in this piece.

On paper, the Xperia 1 II seems like most other Android flagship phones powered by a Snapdragon 865 processor. It has a 6.5-inch 4K OLED screen, 5G (outside of the US) and on the back is a wide-angle main camera, an ultrawide-angle camera and a telephoto camera -- all of which have a 12-megapixel sensor.
For more Mobile
Subscribe to the Mobile newsletter, receive notifications and see related stories on CNET.
Yes, I want to receive the CNET Insider Newsletter, keeping me up to date with all things CNET.By signing up, you agree to the CBS Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
But there are things that set this phone apart. For instance, the telephoto lens has the full-frame equivalency of a 70mm lens -- meaning it's actually a telephoto lens! (Normally, when companies say their phones have telephoto lenses, they are really somewhere between 52 and 56mm.) There's a physical shutter button on the phone, which is quite handy. There are also three preloaded apps that take full advantage of the camera. One is the basic Xperia Android camera app. The other two are Photo Pro and Cinema Pro, which give you detailed controls over every aspect of your phone's photo and video capture.

To my delight these apps allow the Xperia 1 II to operate more like a camera than a phone. This made me wonder how good these cameras actually were, especially at video capture. To find out, I made a short film with the phone and I was very impressed.

I made a film with the Cinema Pro app

The best way to talk about and test the Xperia 1 II's video quality and the Cinema Pro app was to go through the process of making a film. So I wrote, shot and starred in a 4-minute film called I, Robber, which you can watch below. Every shot was captured using the Xperia's Cinema Pro app and I had a blast using it.
While shooting my film, the physical shutter button on the Xperia 1 II made it easy to record myself even when I couldn't see the screen. The Xperia 1 is also small when compared to mirrorless cameras, and it allows me to put it in different locations for unique shots and perspectives. For example, for one scene I taped the phone to the inside of a cabinet door.

The left side of the phone has no buttons and is relatively flat meaning that the phone can stand on its own... mostly.

Unlike other apps that offer video-centric controls, Cinema Pro has a detailed yet approachable layout. Its minimal menus are very straightforward and all major settings are available at a glance. Things like shutter angle, ISO and manual focusing are simple to adjust, and you can automate a focus pull between two subjects -- which is such a pleasure to watch.
Videos are recorded in an H.265 codec with 10-bit color. 4K video out of the Cinema Pro app is sharp, especially off the main 24mm camera. Resolution and frame rates top out at 4K at 60 frames per second or HD at 120 fps. I should note that since Cinema Pro videos have a 2.39:1 aspect ratio, it doesn't actually record at full 4K. Instead, you have to use the native Xperia camera app to capture true 4K in a 16:9 aspect ratio.

But Sony can add improvements to the Xperia 1 II that would make it more helpful. For one thing, I wish there was more "pro" in the Cinema Pro app. It would be great to zoom in on the viewfinder to manual focus or have focus peaking. A true flat video profile would be nice, too.

If you're filming outdoors, you need a neutral density filter in order to keep from getting overexposed videos. Since the aperture is fixed, the only way to adjust exposure is by changing the ISO and shutter angle. On a really bright day, I often bottomed out both the ISO and shutter angle and still had an overexposed image. One hack I learned was to shoot at 4K 60 fps (or HD 120 fps), which exposes each frame shorter than filming at 24 fps. It's not ideal, but sometimes it would bring the exposure to a manageable place.
The physical shutter button made filming myself for a short film easy. After pressing the button I was confident my performance was being recorded.
Patrick Holland/CNET There are times I went to reshoot a scene and had to guess what my settings were for the original take. Access to ISO and shutter-speed metadata for clips I already shot, even if it's only available in the project file, would be another great tool. Adding a histogram to the Cinema Pro app (instead of just the Photo Pro app), and additional tools like a waveform and zebras would all be helpful, too.

I realize my wishlist actually sounds like the feature list of the third-party video app Filmic Pro. While added tools to Cinema Pro would be great, I do understand that Cinema Pro and Filmic Pro are two fundamentally different apps and part of what I like about the former is that it's quite simple. If I used Filmic Pro when I was a young scrappy filmmaker I'd be overwhelmed. Whereas Cinema Pro offers a solid place to get my feet wet and get what's in my head captured as video.

Photo Pro app and Eye AF transform the Xperia 1 II into a mirrorless camera

When we think about phones that take great photos, such as the iPhone 11 Pro or Google Pixel 4, they stand out because they can capture a moment, process it and optimize it to create a single picture that looks as outstanding as possible. After you tap the shutter button, the phone's computational photography does the rest. For many people, that's all they ever want out of a phone camera.

But for people like me who want more creative control, the Xperia 1 II is a real damn treat. I get access to advanced controls and can interact with them like a regular camera.

If you're already into the Sony Alpha camera ecosystem, the Photo Pro app will immediately look familiar, because it essentially mimics a Sony Alpha camera. There are controls for metering, focus, exposure compensation and more. I can dial in shutter speed and ISO and there's even an onscreen histogram and horizon level.
The Photo Pro app copies the onscreen controls and dials found on Sony's Alpha line of mirrorless cameras.
James Phelan/CNET The best feature is Eye AF which is an autofocus tool borrowed from the $3,500 Sony A9 camera. Eye AF can identify a face in your frame and then lock in on your subject's eye. It is jaw-dropping how well this works on the Xperia.

This feature is also supposed to work on animals, which sounds fun and it was something I was looking forward to. Unfortunately, despite numerous tries, I never got the eye focus box to pop up for my roommate's cat Cheddar. My video producer tried it on his dog Max and the green box didn't pop up on his eyes either. I'm working with Sony to figure out exactly what's going on.

Xperia 1 II photos are great

Whether I was using the default Xperia camera app or Photo Pro, I was able to capture consistently good photos with the Sony Xperia 1 II. Pictures had lots of detail, wonderful colors and accurate focus.
This photo of Sutro Tower has a lot of detail and does well balancing highlights in the clouds and shadows.
James Phelan/CNET The Xperia 1 II was able to capture this tricky photo with fog in it. I really love the colors.
James Phelan/CNET The ultrawide-angle camera is a blast to use. There's even a setting to keep or remove distortion.
Patrick Holland/CNET Even indoors and in medium and low-light situations, the Xperia 1 II produces photos with low image noise that look natural. Take a look below at the photo of Cheddar. The kitchen has a mix of warm and cool lighting, as well as bright areas and heavily shadowed ones. Cheddar's fur has wonderful detail and his white fur highlights aren't blown out.
This indoor mixed lighting photo of Cheddar shows off how well the Xperia 1 II can handle medium-light environments.
Patrick Holland/CNET This tree really pushes the Sony Xperia 1 II's dynamic range to its limits.
Patrick Holland/CNET There is not a dedicated night mode. Rather, the phone can take low-light shots like this with the main camera app.
Patrick Holland/CNET The only place I'm disappointed is with the selfie camera, which takes only average-quality photos. Image quality is a big step down compared to the rear camera and there is a beauty mode that smooths the skin and enlarges eyes to a point that is too extreme. Some people might prefer this, but I'm not one.
Beauty mode made me look and feel like another person.
Patrick Holland/CNET

Photos taken from the Sony Xperia 1 II

See all photos +17 More

The Xperia 1 II costs $1,200

Ultimately the Xperia 1 II's triple-rear camera and preloaded camera apps are tools that made my pursuit of filmmaking and photography feel more legitimate on a phone than the LG V60 or even the iPhone 11 Pro.

But the phone's $1,200 price tag is certainly not for everybody. If you're deep in the Sony Alpha camera ecosystem then the Xperia 1 II is definitely worth considering, especially if you have the budget. Sony has a preorder deal where if you buy the phone it comes bundled with a pair of Sony WF-1000XM3 wireless headphones that cost normally $230. If you're interested in the Xperia, I'd definitely take advantage of that.

Sony Xperia 1 II looks sharp from any angle

See all photos +6 More As a journalist and scrappy short filmmaker, the phone costs too much for me and I imagine for a lot of other people too. Still, using this phone was a great experience and perhaps Sony can port over these great camera tricks into cheaper phone models in the near future.

Old 07-10-2020, 01:29 PM
Safety Car

Arrow Android Authority

https://www.androidauthority.com/son...eview-1135013/

Sony Xperia 1 II review: A Sony phone I’d love to keep in my pocket (Video!)

Reviews
5 hours ago

David Imel / @Durvidimel
PositivesGreat 21:9 display
Fantastic performance
Simplistic UI
IP68 water and dust resistance
Headphone jack
Pro camera features

NegativesSubpar selfie camera
Relatively slow charging
Confusing main camera app

Rating
Battery
Display
Camera
Performance
Software
Bottom Line
Xperia 1 II by Sony

The Sony Xperia 1 II is a wonderful smartphone. While Sony put a lot of focus into the Alpha-like camera experience, the rest of the phone is great enough to make up for the "just fine" camera quality.

Sony is a huge electronics company. It makes TVs, cameras, headphones, game consoles, and pretty much anything else you could imagine with a circuit board. It’s also a market leader in many of these categories. Its Bravia OLED TVs are best-in-class, its headphones are some of the most popular on the market, and you can’t walk down the street in 2020 without seeing a Sony digital camera.

With all this as background, it only seems natural that Sony would be one of the most well-positioned companies to make a killer smartphone. Our phones are now TVs and music players. They’re game consoles and cameras. They do almost everything. And Sony makes almost everything. It should be a match made in heaven.

But we’ve been waiting for years for Sony to nail it. Every year, it seems like the new Xperia phone lacks the best-in-class quality of the Sony items it is replacing. The screens have been good but not incredible, the cameras have frequently underperformed, and on the last Sony phone I reviewed, the Xperia XZ2, there wasn’t even a headphone jack. None of this makes sense.

So the question that needs answering is this: After all these years, has Sony finally made a phone as good as its reputation?

Find out in the Android Authority Sony Xperia 1 II review.
Sony Xperia 1 II review notes: I used the Sony Xperia 1 II over a period of 10 days. The phone was running Android 10 on the June 2020 security patch. The phone did not receive any updates during the review period.

Design and display: Boldly simple

Credit: David Imel / Android Authority
  • 6.5-inch 4k HDR OLED (3,840 x 1,644)
  • 21:9 aspect ratio
  • Small bezels (no notch)
  • 60Hz refresh rate
  • Stereo front-facing speakers
  • 166 x 72 x 7.9mm, 181g
  • Notification LED
  • IP68 water and dust resistance
  • Side-mounted fingerprint reader
  • Headphone jack
Sony’s phone designs have always been unique, all the way back to the feature phones of yesteryear. The Xperia 1 II continues this trend. It’s a phone that, while incredibly simplistic, is bold in its own right. It’s a very squared-off device with a flat display, back, and sides. There are curves around the edges to keep the phone from feeling too sharp, but it’s still very boxy, which I appreciate quite a lot. Funny how making a non-curved phone is unique in 2020, eh?

Making the phone so flat on all sides allowed Sony to include some interesting additions. You’ve got the standard volume rockers on the right side of the phone, sitting right above the power button. But this power button is also a fingerprint reader, as we’ve seen in Sony phones of the past. I had a hard time getting this fingerprint reader to register my prints consistently, but the reviewer who had this device before me said it was among the most accurate he’s used. Your mileage may vary, depending on your finger, I guess?

Below the fingerprint reader/power button there’s a dedicated shutter button for the camera, which is nice to see. This is also a two-step shutter button, meaning you can soft press it to acquire focus, then press it all the way to capture an image. This is the same way most dedicated cameras work, and it’s nice to see Sony add a unique interface for taking photos.
The top of the phone houses a headphone jack, something which was curiously missing from the Xperia XZ2 I reviewed a couple of years ago, as well as the Xperia 1 from last year. Considering Sony makes some of the best headphones on the market, wired and otherwise, it makes sense for it to include the jack on its flagship smartphone. While I would have liked to see a quad DAC in this device as we see on many of LG’s flagships, the presence of the port is still a big win.

The left side of the phone is mostly clean, excluding the SIM card/microSD card slot. Sony has always been fairly unique with these slots though, allowing you to extract the tray with your finger instead of requiring a SIM tool. I really like this design, and it makes it easier to swap out SIMs or SD cards on a whim. As a phone reviewer, I’m almost constantly looking for SIM tools, so it’s nice that I don’t need one for this device.
The design of the Xperia 1 II is super minimalist but still stylish.
The bottom of the phone simply houses the USB-C port. The back and front glass are Gorilla Glass 6, and the frame is made of aluminum.

The Sony Xperia 1 II doesn’t have a notch or hole-punch for its selfie camera. Instead, it opted for some tried-and-true bezels. Opinions on bezels are split, but they are quite thin, and including them allowed Sony to use front-facing speakers on this phone. I love front-facing speakers, and they make music and videos sound great while consuming content. These speakers get quite loud, though they do get slightly distorted at maximum volume. That being said, they’re quite good for a smartphone.

One of the defining aspects of the Xperia 1 series is its 21:9 4K HDR OLED display. Sony rocks a 6.5-inch panel on the Xperia 1 II, and while that screen size isn’t quite as large as some other flagships, the unique aspect ratio gives it a very particular feel. It’s a bit weird at first when you’re not used to holding something so narrow and tall. But I grew to like it really quickly. It’s fantastic for multitasking, and Sony has a built-in multi-window tool that lets you run two apps at once to take advantage of the tall display. The 21:9 aspect ratio means you can also watch most movies in the same format you’d see them in the theatre.

The Xperia 1 II uses an incredibly dense panel, with a resolution of 3,840 x 1,644. On most devices, I can’t notice the difference between a 1080p and 1440p display unless I look at the pixels closely. With this device, I can’t even discern individual pixels with my eyes right up against the display. It’s wildly sharp, and icons often look like they’re floating off the screen. The screen tuning looks great in its default mode, but Sony also includes a Creator Mode which supports the BT.2020 color gamut and 10-bit HDR color.
See also:

The OnePlus 8 Pro has the best display we’ve ever tested

I should note that this is a 60Hz panel, not a 90 or 120Hz display you may be used to seeing on flagships in 2020. But that’s a trade-off Sony had to make to use a 4K display in this thing. I’m fine with it. But if you’re a high-refresh die-hard, you’ll have to look elsewhere.

Overall, I think Sony nailed the design of this phone. It’s minimalistic and feels great, but it’s also unique and does a great job recalling the popular Xperia devices of the past. I’m impressed.

Performance & battery: Fantastically average

• Qualcomm Snapdragon 865
  • X55 5G mobile platform (disabled in the USA)
  • 8GB RAM
  • 256GB storage
  • microSD card expansion
  • 4,000mAh battery
  • Qualcomm QuickCharge 4+
  • Wireless charging
The Xperia 1 II is a true flagship device for Sony. That means it sports the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 processor, 8GB of RAM, and 256GB of storage, with optional microSD card expansion. It has IP68 water and dust resistance. It has wireless charging. Honestly, it kind of has it all. And that came through in day-to-day use as well.

I didn’t see any performance issues or frame drops while using the Xperia 1 II. Sony uses a streamlined skin of Android which likely contributed to the great performance, but the latest Snapdragon processor and 8GB of RAM helped the Xperia 1 II blow through any tasks I threw at it.

In benchmarks, the Sony Xperia 1 II performed very, very well, and came out near the top on all phones we’ve tested.
Geekbench 4AnTuTu3DMark The Sony Xperia 1 II notched 4,248 in Geekbench 4 single-core and 13,102 in Geekbench 4 multi-core, for example, while the OnePlus 8 Pro scored 4,195 and 13,142 in Geekbench 4 single and multi, respectively. That’s an incredibly tight race and shows both devices can trade punches. Either way, you shouldn’t experience any performance issues with either device.

We should also note that the Sony Xperia 1 II scored the highest of any phone we’ve tested in Speed Test G. It finished the benchmark in one minute and 26 seconds. That’s quite impressive.
See also:

The best Android smartphones with the best battery life

Because this phone is sporting the Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 SoC and X55 modem, it’s technically a 5G phone. For some reason though, Sony has disabled 5G capabilities in a lot of countries, including the United States. We’ve reached out to Sony for a response to why this is and haven’t received a response before press time.

Battery life on the Sony Xperia 1 II was almost exactly average in real-world testing. I got about six hours of screen-on time, which lasted a bit more than a day. This was about the same battery life as I experienced on the LG Velvet, which is impressive considering this phone uses a 4K display and has a smaller 4,000mAh cell compared to the Velvet’s 4,300mAh battery.

Camera: A phone in name only

• Wide: 12MP, 1/2.6-inch sensor, Dual-PD AF, 16mm equivalent
  • Main: 12MP, 1/1.7-inch sensor, Dual-PD AF, OIS, 24mm equivalent
  • Telephoto: 12MP, 1/3.4-inch sensor, PDAF, OIS, 70mm equivalent
  • Selfie: 8MP
  • 3D iToF sensor
  • Real-time Eye-AF
  • Up to 20 fps AF/AE tracking burst mode
  • 60 calc/second AF calculation
The camera system on the Sony Xperia 1 II is far and away one of the most advanced we’ve seen on a smartphone. It may not produce the highest quality images, but Sony was targeting a different metric with this camera system: speed.

The Xperia 1 II features three distinct cameras on the back of the device. There is a wide 12MP camera with a 1/2.6-inch sensor and dual-PD autofocus, a main 12MP camera with a 1/1.7-inch sensor, dual-PD autofocus, and OIS, and a telephoto 12MP camera with a 1/3.4-inch sensor, PD autofocus, and OIS. In making this camera system, Sony wanted to offer two things: the “holy trinity” of zoom lenses, and the same 20fps burst mode of the Sony Alpha A9 mirrorless camera.

In photography, the holy trinity of zoom lenses refers to a wide-to-medium zoom, a medium-to-telephoto zoom, and a telephoto-to-super-telephoto zoom. Here, Sony went with a 16-24mm, a 24-70mm, and a 70-200mm lens. This range covers most subjects, unless you’re doing ultra-wide landscape or astrophotography, or if you’re doing super-zoomed wildlife photography.

Of course, these aren’t optical zoom lenses. It’s still just a 16mm, 24mm, and 70mm. But Sony was still very deliberate with these focal lengths, choosing them specifically to try and emulate the holy trinity.

Like I mentioned before, Sony wanted to mirror the 20fps autofocus-capable burst mode it sports in its A9 series of cameras. This is extremely impressive, especially considering the phone will check for focus three times per frame before it decides where the focus will be. So if you take a full second of burst images, the phone will take 20 images, with focus calculated 60 times.

To do this, Sony couldn’t use the biggest or highest-resolution sensor it has available. I would have loved to see the Sony IMX 689 sensor in this device – the same which was used in the Oppo Find X2 Pro and OnePlus 8 Pro. But when I asked Sony why it didn’t use this chip, it said it had to use a slightly smaller, lower-resolution sensor to achieve the 20fps burst mode, and a smaller telephoto sensor helped them achieve the 70mm lens. While I understand Sony’s reasoning here, I think a wider audience would be satisfied with better image quality as a trade-off to a fast burst mode. That being said, Sony is clearly targeting this phone at pro photographers and videographers, as I’ll discuss more later.
The main 24mm lens is by far the best of the bunch, due to its fairly large 1/1.7-inch sensor. It has great color and clarity in good light and does fairly well in low-light circumstances as well. Sony is very subtle with its color processing in the standard camera app, not applying any super aggressive color shifts. Lower-light circumstances do take a couple of seconds to process, but they generally look great once it’s done processing.
The telephoto lens is similar in its great color profile, but it’s certainly softer than the main sensor. I believe this is due to the sensor being fairly small at 1/3.4-inches, which causes the phone to use a higher ISO and therefore more noise reduction. That’s not to say it’s bad though – it’s still better than a crop.
The wide lens is great as well, but it’s a bit more washed-out color-wise than the other lenses. It’s still very sharp though, capturing a good amount of detail, even around the edges, where wide lenses generally get the softest. Either way, the color profiles are fairly consistent over the range – something that can’t be said of many smartphone camera systems.
The selfie camera on this phone is probably the Achilles’ heel of the system. It is extremely soft even in good light and looks terrible in low light. It also tended to capture lens flares, which look pretty bad when the selfie camera is already very soft. This is an 8MP sensor and extremely small at 1/4-inch, so it’s no surprise that it’s pretty bad.

If you want to see these sample photos and more in full resolution, I’ve uploaded them to a Google Drive folder here.
The standard camera app on the Xperia 1 II is okay, but it’s not very intuitive. The button to switch to the selfie camera is on the top, which is pretty difficult to reach on a tall display like this. You can still swipe down to switch to the front camera, but it feels like the button should be where the Mode button is, which has settings for things like portrait selfies and color filters. There is also no HDR in the main app – it can only be found in the Camera Pro app. If anything, the standard app is where HDR should be, since those who don’t care about having full control of their image make particular use of the feature.

The phone also won’t switch to the correct lens when you zoom all the way in on the main app. The only way to switch to the next lens is to tap one of the three lens options at the bottom of the screen. It would make a lot more sense if Sony seamlessly transitioned between the wide, standard, and telephoto lenses as you zoomed.

I initially wanted to title this review “The Alpha phone” because of the “pro” photo and video apps Sony made for this device. One is called Photo Pro, and the other is called Cinema Pro.

Both of these apps are built to work as similarly to a dedicated Sony digital camera as possible. It effectively looks like Sony’s menu system is seated right up against its viewfinder. For people who are new to the Sony menu system, including me, this can be fairly confusing to navigate. But once you get the hang of it, these apps give you an incredible amount of control over the phone’s cameras.

The Photo Pro app pushes the concept of the holy trinity of lenses by giving you digital zoom rings for each lens. The 16mm can zoom up to 24mm, the 24mm zooms to 70mm, and the 70mm lens zooms up to 200mm. While I love the style and attention to detail Sony put into this app, it does have some weird quirks. I would like to be able to continue zooming and the phone to automatically switch to the next lens, for example, though I understand that Sony wants people to feel like they’re physically switching lenses. I understand the sentiment, but the fact remains that smartphone cameras aren’t the same as dedicated cameras. If you can seamlessly switch leases, do it. Don’t restrict that just because this is a smartphone.

The Cinema Pro app is similar to the Photo Pro app, but instead of being based on a Sony Alpha camera, it’s based on the Sony FS series of cinema cameras. It offers an incredible amount of control, all the way down to shutter speed, resolution, and even shutter angle. Sony also included many of its picture profiles from the camera line, which are well-known and respected. The Cinema Pro app works in a project format, allowing you to jump back into a project and retain all the same settings.

Both of these apps have one big issue though – they only work in landscape mode. While I’m sure most people won’t be shooting video in portrait orientation through Sony’s Pro app, it would be nice to have it included. Especially on the Photo Pro app, it would be nice to have portrait orientation support.

If the Photo Pro and Cinema Pro apps were the only camera apps on this phone, I would say that they are much, much too complicated for the average user. And they probably are. But Sony offers them as options for those who want extremely fine control of their phone’s camera. And because the default camera app is still a mostly standard smartphone camera app, I applaud it for making these Pro apps, even if I don’t envision many people using them to their full potential.

For more on the Sony Xperia 1 II camera, check out our shootouts with the Huawei P40 Pro and Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus:

Software: Wonderfully practical

• Android 10
The Sony Xperia 1 II runs Android 10, and it does something that I wish more OEMs would do: use Google apps as defaults. Immediately when booting up the phone, you’ll see Google Phone, Google Messages, Chrome, and Google Photos on the dock. Sony doesn’t try to make many proprietary apps for things Google can already offer, and that makes for a much nicer experience.
Home screenGoogle feedSettings menu Sony’s skin on top of Android is also incredibly lightweight, and it doesn’t feel like it adds things unnecessarily. This skin is very similar to Pixel UI, and that’s something I can get behind. There’s a Google Search bar at the bottom of the screen and a Google feed when you swipe left.

Sony does have some cool apps that work well with this device, like the PlayStation app which lets you attach a DualShock controller natively. This is great for people that love PS4 Remote Play and want to play on their phones.

Sony Xperia 1 II specs

Sony Xperia 1 II Display 6.5-inch HDR OLED
3,840 x 1,644 resolution (4K)
643ppi
Motion blur reduction (90Hz equivalent)
21:9 aspect ratio
Corning Gorilla Glass 6 SoC Qualcomm Snapdragon 865
7nm+ process
Octa-core (1x2.84 GHz Kryo 585 & 3x2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4x1.8 GHz Kryo 585) GPU Adreno 650 RAM 8GB Storage 256GB Cameras Rear cameras
- Ultra-wide: 12MP sensor, 16mm, f/2.2 aperture, Dual PDAF
- Wide: 12MP sensor, 24mm, f/1.7 aperture, Dual PDAF, OIS
- Telephoto: 12MP sensor, 70mm, f/2.4 aperture, PDAF, OIS
- Depth sensor: 3D iTOF

Front camera: 8MP sensor Audio Headphone jack
Dual stereo front speakers
360 Reality Audio
DSEE upscaling Battery 4,000mAh
21W USB-PD wired charging
15W wireless charging IP rating IP65/68 Connectivity 5G, sub-6GHz Software Android 10 Dimensions and weight 166 x 72 x 7.9mm
181g Colors Black, Purple

Value and competition

• Sony Xperia 1 II: 8GB RAM, 256GB Storage — $1,199.99
There’s no doubt that $1,200 is a lot to pay for a smartphone. It’s certainly up there in price, but the Xperia 1 II also sports almost all the specs and features you’d want out of a device. With the latest flagship processor from Qualcomm, ample RAM and storage, IP68 water and dust resistance, expandable storage, and even a headphone jack, it’s got almost everything. A notable exception is 5G, if you live in the US, or other markets where it’s not offered.

At its pricing tier, the Sony Xperia 1 II is effectively in direct competition with phones like the Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus. Compared to the Galaxy S20 Plus, the Sony Xperia 1 II has more storage, a headphone jack, and a taller, higher resolution display. Its cameras are arguably slightly worse than Samsung’s but they still perform well. Meanwhile, the Galaxy S20 Plus has a higher-refresh 120Hz panel.
Related:

Camera shootout: Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus vs Sony Xperia 1 II

If you want to spend a bit less cash, the OnePlus 8 Pro starts at $899. Like the S20 Plus, the OnePlus sports slightly less storage than the Xperia 1 II, but has a slightly better main camera sensor and 120Hz refresh rate display.

Ultimately, I think the Sony Xperia 1 II offers a lot, even at its top-tier price point. While many devices have one big feature they’re missing, the Xperia 1 II does almost everything fairly well. While it might not have the best out-of-the-box camera system on the market, it’s certainly versatile.

Sony Xperia 1 II review: Should you buy it?

The Sony Xperia 1 II is a great example of what can happen when a mega-company like Sony pulls together all its resources to make a smartphone. With a wildly high-resolution 21:9 OLED display, a versatile camera system, and even a headphone jack, Sony has finally made a phone I’d love to keep in my pocket.

If you’re looking for the best image quality straight out of the camera, you won’t get that here. Sony was focused on making this phone a mobile A9 camera, with 20fps shooting with autofocus. Because of that, it couldn’t include its biggest and best sensor. While I wish it aimed for image quality instead of image speed, I can understand what it was going for.

While the camera system might be frustrating to everyone except the most dedicated photographers, the other parts of the phone make up for it. The display is unique and fantastic, the UI is minimal, and it has all the bells and whistles like wireless charging, expandable storage, and a headphone jack. That makes this a wonderful phone for everyone, regardless of how much you care about the camera.

So should you buy it? I would say yes. Sony has made one of my favorite phones of the year in the Xperia 1 II. And that’s saying something.
$1,199.99
Buy at Amazon

Old 08-14-2020, 06:26 AM
Safety Car

Smile PhoneArena

https://www.phonearena.com/news/sony...ecast_id126514

Sony forecasts first profit for Xperia smartphone business in years

by
Joshua Swingle
@joshuaswingle
Aug 10, 2020, 11:10 AM

The Xperia smartphone business has been unprofitable for several years but Sony never lost hope. It has dramatically downsized operations and lowered costs in past quarters, and now those efforts finally seem to be paying off.

Profit is finally on the horizon for Sony Xperia

During the most recent earnings call, Sony announced that it successfully shipped 800,000 Xperia smartphones in the second quarter of the year. That number is down by only 100,000 units from the same period in 2019.

A drop in shipments is typically frowned upon, but the results this year are especially impressive considering the impact COVID-19 has had on demand worldwide. Even more impressive is the fact that Xperia shipments doubled quarter-on-quarter from Q1 2020.

Sony has
confirmed that it now expects the Mobile Communications business to post its first yearly profit in four years when it announces fiscal 2020 (April 2020 – March 2021) financial results in April 2021.

The company did not confirm the amount of profit it expects, but it did announce preparations for a switch in the smartphone segment.
Sony says the high-end smartphone business is contracting because of COVID-19.

The smartphone industry is slowly shifting towards the mid-range and low-end segments. Sony says this transition is only temporary and that its flagship models will eventually become more popular, but cheaper Xperia devices are now expected to make up a larger share of sales in 2020 and 2021.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:11 AM
Safety Car

Arrow Cnet

https://www.cnet.com/news/sony-xperi...hone-in-years/

Sony Xperia 5 II review: The best Sony phone in years

I'm digging this smaller, more affordable version of the Xperia 1 II.

Patrick Holland
Sept. 28, 2020 12:00 a.m. PT
Listen
- 08:35

Sony Xperia 5 II

• Lower price
  • Smaller build
  • EyeAF especially for pets
  • 4K 120fps slow motion video
  • High-refresh rate display

Don't Like

• Google Assistant hardware button is unnecessary
  • Boring design
  • Cinema Pro exposure limited in bright light
  • Lacks wireless charging
In May, Sony released the Xperia 1 II (read as "one mark two"), which it packed with photo and video tools from its popular Alpha line of full-frame mirrorless cameras. The $1,200 (£1,099 or about AU$2,005) phone targeted creative types who wanted more artistic control over their photos and videos. Now with the Xperia 5 II (read as "five mark two"), Sony is essentially selling a more compact, more affordable version of the Xperia 1 II. But with a high-refresh-rate display, the ability to record 4K videos at 120 frames per second and an overhauled Game Enhancer app, the new phone is more than a miniature version of the Xperia 1 II. And best of all at $950 (£799 or about AU$1,350), the Xperia 5 II adds those features while costing hundreds of dollars less.

One thing of note, however. While the Xperia 5 II's solid specs and photo and video software are similar to the Xperia 1 II (same processor, 8GB of RAM and so on), it lacks wireless charging, a time-of-flight sensor and a 4K display. But it does retain the wonderful EyeAF (autofocus) feature that speedily finds and locks onto the eyes of people and pets.

Watch this: Sony Xperia 5 II in-depth review
8:48
For more like this
Subscribe to the CNET Now newsletter for our editors' picks of the most important stories of the day.On the whole, I = like the Xperia 5 II. It's the best phone Sony has made in years. It's an incredible phone for people who enjoy gaming, photography and recording videos. That won't appeal to everyone, but for people like me who enjoy that kind of thing, the phone is a treat. But my biggest gripe is with its price. While the Xperia 5 II is cheaper than the Xperia 1 II, it's also $150 more than last year's Xperia 5 I. Add the fact that we're in a pandemic, meaning many people are enduring financial hardship. That makes it hard for me to get behind this phone, or any phone really, that costs nearly $1,000. But if you have the money and are into Sony's mirrorless cameras, then the Xperia 5 II is worth considering.

The Xperia 5 II will be available Dec. 4, and preorders start Sept. 29. When you preorder, you'll receive a free gaming bundle that includes a HyperX Cloud II gaming headset, a 10,000-mAh portable power bank and 21,600 Call of Duty points.
On the left is the $1,200 Sony Xperia 1 II and on the right the $950 Xperia 5 II.
Patrick Holland/CNET

Xperia 5 II design: Great high-refresh rate display, not so great number of buttons

The Xperia 5 II's display isn't as sharp as the Xperia 1 II's, so Sony sensibly added a high refresh rate screen to the former. Now you can choose: If you want super-sharp resolution, get the Xperia 1 II and its stunning 6.5-inch 4K display. But if you want a phone with a high refresh rate, you'll want an Xperia 5 II with its 6.1-inch 120Hz HD screen.

Both phones have long narrow screens with a 21:9 aspect ratio, which is great for watching Netflix since most of its films are shot in widescreen. But the smaller Xperia 5 II makes the tall, slender design pop. I like how well it fits in my hand.

The phone's design isn't perfect though. It's a bit boring, especially when compared to a phone like the Samsung Galaxy S20. Despite the Xperia's slender bezels on the side, it has a chunky (by 2020 standards) chin and forehead. I also miss the Xperia 1 II's squared-off edges, which allowed me to stand up the phone on its side for filming and watching videos.

But my least favorite part of the Xperia 5 II's design is the Google Assistant button on the side. It lives on the right edge, along with the volume rocker, a combination power button and fingerprint reader, and a shutter button for the camera. That's one button too many, and it got in my way a lot.
In the US, the Sony Xperia 5 II comes only in black.
Patrick Holland/CNET Are people using Google Assistant so much that it needs its own button? Maybe? I don't know these people. But here's what gets me: This phone is aimed at photographers, videographers, gamers, journalists and creative types. Nearly every one of those people are likely to mount this phone, whether it's on a PS4 controller for games or on a mini-tripod for shooting photos and videos. That means the fewer buttons on the edge to press (on purpose or by accident), the better.

For example, I have a C-shaped grip that goes around the sides and back of the phone so I can mount it to a tripod. On the Xperia 1 II, there was a space on the right side between the power button and the camera shutter for the grip to grab onto. On the Xperia 5 II, however, that space is now occupied by this Assistant button, which leaves me the recessed power button and fingerprint reader as the only place to attach the grip. As a result I lose access to that button, which is far more useful than the Google Assistant.

Sony Alpha mirrorless cameras in a phone… kind of

The camera feature I was most excited to try out was the new 4K 120fps video capture. This only works in the phone's Cinema Pro app. Files are saved as 30fps or 24fps, which gives videos a dreamy 4x or 5x slow-motion effect. I shot a bunch of footage using the Xperia 5 II's Cinema Pro app and this is the best slow motion video on any phone I've tested. Check it out below.

Sony Alpha mirrorless cameras in a phone… kind of

The camera feature I was most excited to try out was the new 4K 120fps video capture. This only works in the phone's Cinema Pro app. Files are saved as 30fps or 24fps, which gives videos a dreamy 4x or 5x slow-motion effect. I shot a bunch of footage using the Xperia 5 II's Cinema Pro app and this is the best slow motion video on any phone I've tested. Check it out below.
Aside from lacking a time-of-flight sensor, the Xperia 5 II has the same Xperia 1 II camera hardware and software. And if you want an in-depth look at it all, read my review of the Sony Xperia 1 II. The Xperia 5 II comes with support for RAW photo files, which is super useful to me since I enjoy editing photos later in an app or on my computer. Also, the Photo Pro app's menus look just like the new ones on the new Sony A7SIII camera, so props to Sony for a consistent design language. Speaking of the A7SIII, you can now connect a USB-C cable between it and the Xperia 5 II to send photo and video files to the phone for file transfer protocol uploads.
If there's one criticism I have with the cameras, it's the amount of leeway there is for controlling the exposure when using the Cinema Pro app. I wish I had more ways to control the exposure aside from ISO and shutter angle (think of it like shutter speed for video). I ran into this with the Xperia 1 II as well. When it's too bright, I can't get the ISO or shutter angle low enough so that my video isn't overexposed. One solution would be to get a neutral density filter for your phone.

But when it was too dark, I ran into similar exposure challenges. The ISO tops out at 800 and because the cameras have a fixed aperture, I'm left with only the shutter angle to adjust. That's not ideal because the shutter angle also affects the quality of movement in the frame.

Below are some photos I took with the default camera app and Photo Pro app.
This photo was taken with the Photo Pro app and saved as a RAW file. I processed the photo later using Adobe Lightroom.
Patrick Holland/CNET You can shoot photos with shutter speeds as low as 30 seconds. This photo was taken at 1/10 of a second.
Patrick Holland/CNET The telephoto lens is a 70-millimeter equivalent and can be zoomed in to a 200-millimeter equivalent like it was here.
Patrick Holland/CNET The dynamic range on the camera is excellent and keeps things looking natural instead of heavily processed.
Patrick Holland/CNET This photo was taken with the main camera that has a 24-millimeter lens.
Patrick Holland/CNET This was taken with the ultrawide-angle camera.
Patrick Holland/CNET I took this just before dusk with the 70-millimeter telephoto camera.
Patrick Holland/CNET This was taken with the 24-millimeter wide-angle camera. EyeAF locked in on my eye and nailed the focus.
Patrick Holland/CNET

Game Enhancer, battery and high refresh rate

You can set the Xperia 5 II's refresh rate to 60Hz or 120Hz. There isn't an in-between option or adaptive software like on the OnePlus 8 Pro. During my time with the phone, I left it at 120Hz and didn't look back. I noticed the benefits of the high-refresh rate most when gaming. Part of that comes from the improved Game Enhancer app, which lets me choose the refresh rate for games I play. It uses software to crank that 120Hz display so that it can appear equivalent to a 240Hz equivalent. The effect works well enough, as if someone added sharpness and contrast to my games. It was particularly impressive in a game like Call of Duty. Game Enhancer has a heads up display as well, so you can preview the game at different refresh rates between 40fps and 240fps before committing to it.
Sony managed to fit a larger battery into the Xperia 5 II despite the phone being the same size as last year's Xperia 5 I.
Patrick Holland/CNET The Xperia 5 II's battery is larger than its predecessor, despite the phones being physically the same size. The 4,00-mAh battery is the same size as the one found in the Sony Xperia 1 II. The phone made it through a day (set to 120Hz for the display). But I did find myself plugging it in to top it off near the end of the evening, usually after dinner. We are currently conducting tests and will update this review with the full results soon.

The battery along with Game Enhancer, allows for a new feature called HS Power Control. The HS stands for heat suppression and it essentially reroutes power between charging the battery and directly powering the phone itself. When HS Power Control is enabled, the phone got warm while gaming, but it never got hot. It worked well enough that it'd be nice to turn on HS Power Control for other uses such as video capture or photo editing and not just gaming.

Snapdragon 865 processor and 5G

The Xperia 5 II has a Snapdragon processor and supports sub-6 5G connectivity outside the US. Sony said that its upcoming Xperia Pro will likely be the first Sony phone to support 5G in the US.

In use the Xperia 5 II was peppy. Even during heavy sessions of video recording and photo taking, the phone never lagged or seemed sluggish. In performance tests, the Xperia 5 II unsurprisingly posted identical results to the Xperia 1 II, but also was on par with the OnePlus 8 Pro and Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra, all of which also have a Snapdragon 865 processor.

Old 10-16-2020, 07:04 AM
Safety Car

Cool Xperia Play

https://www.androidauthority.com/son...sults-1165955/

We asked, you told us: Sony should totally launch a new Xperia Play

Andy Walker / @AndyWalkerSA

With 2020 seeing the continued rise of smartphone gaming, the emergence of game streaming services, and the imminent debut of the PlayStation 5, it seems a perfect time for the likes of Sony to relaunch a dedicated gaming phone of its own. Its last official swing at a portable gaming phone came from 2011’s Sony Ericsson Xperia Play, an Android phone that borrowed its design from the PSP Go.

In September, images of the Xperia Play 2, a rumored canned sequel, made a surprise appearance online. Sony hasn’t officially confirmed that it had planned another device in the line, but the apparent prototype did get us thinking about the company’s mobile gaming history.

We asked readers if they’d purchase a rebooted Xperia Play should Sony relaunch the line. Here’s what you told us.

Would you buy a rebooted Xperia Play in 2020?

Results

Over 2,700 votes were cast in this one, and there’s an overwhelming winner. Nearly four-fifths (79.8%) of voters said they’d absolutely purchase a rebooted Xperia Play if Sony made such a device available.

While there are plenty of gaming phones on offer from a number of OEMs, none pack a slide-up screen and built-in controller buttons like the Xperia Play. If Sony were to rework a device for the modern smartphone era, it would pack modern hardware too. A slider with dedicated control inputs, an OLED display, a Snapdragon 865 chipset, and 5G connectivity could be a monster gaming device.

Read more: A PlayStation Phone should be Sony’s answer to Xbox game streaming

Some readers don’t feel this way, though. Around 20% of respondents said they wouldn’t purchase a rebooted Xperia Play. Considering the apparent prototype surfaced some nine years after the 1st device’s launch, it could suggest Sony wasn’t too confident in the product. Sony’s modern smartphones have also grown more conservative and refined with a focus on camera performance and video entertainment. Mobile gaming perhaps isn’t as prominent in its list of core principles as it once was.

Here’s what you had to say

• Connor Oud: If they made it with game streaming (xCloud, Steam Link, PlayStation Remote Play, Stadia) in mind, I’d buy it.
  • Ahmed AbuBakr: I would instantly buy one, regardless of the price, I loved the first one. Hopefully, some Chinese brand comes up with a similar design.
  • Batou2034: If they launched that now with Xperia 1ii specs it would sell hotcakes.
That’s it for this poll. Thanks to everyone who voted and commented on this 1. If you have any additional thoughts on our results or the modern Xperia Play Sony should build, be sure to drop your comments down below.

Old 10-20-2020, 06:30 AM
Safety Car

Arrow Android Authority

https://www.androidauthority.com/sony-xperia-5-ii-review-second-opinion-1166439/

Sony Xperia 5 II review second opinion: Heading in the right direction

Robert Triggs
Credit: Eric Zeman / Android AuthoritySony’s 2020 flagship — the ultra-premium Xperia 1 II — has many strengths, but is ultimately a hard sell with its colossal $1,199/£1,099 price tag. The Xperia 5 range forms Sony’s more sensibly priced flagship tier, with the new Xperia 5 II coming in at a much more reasonable $949/£799. It’s been well received by critics too. In our review, we called it, “perhaps Sony’s best phone ever.”

I wasn’t enamored with the expensive Xperia 1 II, but I agree that Sony is definitely onto something with the 5 II. The handset provides exceptional hardware and a bewildering selection of Sony’s latest and greatest software features. There are still lingering issues and it doesn’t represent the absolute best value for money on the market right now. But the phone is a really promising sign of things to come from Sony.

The full Android Authority verdict: Sony Xperia 5 II review — perhaps Sony’s best phone ever

Hardware as good as any other

Sony’s Xperia design still comes with the usual caveats. The tall 21:9 display aspect ratio definitely isn’t for everyone, especially if you’re used to wider phones. Although the slimmer design has grown on me very quickly. Likewise, the 6.1-inch phone is still a bit too big to be considered a compact phone in the historical sense of the Xperia Compact line. Still, those aren’t so much serious complaints as points of preference.

Sony’s core hardware package includes everything you’d expect from a flagship phone, including a blazing fast Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 processor, a crisp 120Hz display, triple camera setup, and colossal battery life. Of course, if you only care about raw specs, there are plenty of cheaper Chinese brands to choose from like OnePlus, Realme, and plenty more.
Sony takes a more practical approach to hardware design with the 5 II.
Instead, the Xperia 5 II is a more nuanced hardware package, more along the lines of what keeps Apple and Samsung fans coming back to their respective brands. But you really have to dig deeper to figure out what Sony is doing differently, which can make it hard to get the message across.

Credit: Robert Triggs / Android AuthorityFor instance, the 12MP camera isn’t the absolute best around, but Sony’s choice of a lower resolution sensor allows it to do things like 20fps constant image capture, fast 10ms image readouts, and 4K 120fps video capture. These are certainly niche features in the modern age of point and click simplicity, but play well to Sony’s media enthusiast audience. The pictures look pretty great too, especially when it comes to color accuracy. Check out our in-depth shootout to see the Xperia 5 II holding its own against some of the best Android camera phones, including the Google Pixel 5.

Likewise, the Xperia 5 II offers 240Hz touch response, a 240Hz software-upscale display mode, a new graphene CPU cooling system, and heat suppression power controls (bypassing battery charging) for more serious mobile gamers. Not forgetting its gaming software features, including voice chat optimizations over the 3.5mm headphone jack, game capture, and other Game Enhancer software features. Sony is finally leaning into its gaming legacy, but it still leaves us wanting more. For example, why is Sony’s xCloud rival, PlayStation Now, still limited to consoles and PC?
Gaming features leave us hoping for tighter Playstation integration in the future.
Audio enthusiasts aren’t left out of this media extravaganza. LDAC Bluetooth audio, DSEE Ultimate music upscaling, Dolby Atmos tuning, 360 Reality Audio, and the aforementioned headphone jack offer everything an audiophile could want.

Sony’s Xperia series is carving out an identity as the ultimate multimedia smartphone and the Xperia 5 II keeps the package under the dreaded $1,000 price mark. Sensible compromises, like ditching the 4K display, wireless charging, and a Time-of-Flight camera, are easy to live with given the rest of the hardware on offer.

Ironing out the software ideas

With such solid hardware, what’s the catch? Well, the software execution could still use some refinement.

For example, the Photo Pro and Cinema Pro apps are a little too complex for the typical user, yet the default camera app is missing a bunch of standard features. Pinch zoom doesn’t automatically change lenses as it does on every other phone, there’s no HDR toggle, and no dedicated low light photography feature. Sony’s camera apps are caught between overly complex and underbaked, with nothing in the middle for the typical consumer. I experienced all these same issues with the Xperia 1 II — check out my deeper dive into the situation in the article below.

Read more: The Sony Xperia 1 II camera is a case study for nonsensical software design

Likewise, the new gaming features, while useful, are tucked away in a labyrinth of menus and settings. Turning on the 240Hz display mode, for example, requires you to open the Game Enhancer or launch the game directly, click the setting icon, click game mode, click custom, click the settings icon, and then set the slider to 240Hz. Hardly making it easy to find for one of the phone’s headline features. Also, while it’s great to be able to save unique settings for each game, some universal settings would save on this laborious configuration time.

Credit: Robert Triggs / Android AuthorityIt’s the same situation to enable heat suppression power control, which draws power straight from the charger instead of the battery, helping to keep the phone’s temperature down. This is disabled by default and has to be switched on for each game by again navigating the sprawling menu. Why isn’t there a quick settings button like there is for Stamina Battery mode? It’s not an awful setup, but it’s just not obvious where everything is. Obscurity means that only a few more savvy users will make use of the handset’s better ideas.

In the same vein, Sony also has separate apps to download for managing PlayStation controllers and setting up Sony headphones. It would be nicer to have a single menu to configure all your branded accessories from one place. Preferably with a guided setup out of the box. Sony’s ecosystem is certainly big enough to accommodate better support for its own products.
This is a rare occasion where I feel deeper OS integration would help complete Sony's vision and enhance the user experience.
Sony’s software setup still feels a little disjointed in places. The Android side is sleek and essentially stock, but then there’s a catalog of individual apps you might need. Some of them are well integrated, such as the music app which shares some audio options with the mains settings menu, while others aren’t. It feels minimalistic and yet can easily become bloated at the same time as you move between different apps, each with their own design and layout. I can’t help but feel that integrating at least some of its extras deeper into the OS would help to refine Sony’s multimedia vision.

I’m conscious that a transition away from stock might alienate customers who aren’t embedded into Sony’s broader product ecosystem. But given Sony’s current market share and my own experiences with Xperia enthusiasts, Sony fans are far and away the biggest target audience for Xperia smartphones right now. Why not make it a quintessentially Sony experience?

Still a little too expensive

Credit: Eric Zeman / Android AuthorityMany of those gripes may sound petty, but premium products should be near flawless. The Sony Xperia 5 II is a very serviceable phone and it’s cheaper than the Xperia 1 II while offering many of its best features. However, when you look at other big players in the space, the Xperia 5 II still falls just a little short at this price point.

For example, entry into Apple’s landscaped walled-garden costs $799/£799 for the iPhone 12. The 5G Samsung Galaxy S20 FE costs just $699/£699 compared to the Xperia 5 II’s $949/£799 price tag. These two premium brands are not only cheaper, but are also that little bit more refined in the software department. Consumers like the “just works mentality” and you need to mess around with the Xperia 5 II a little too much to get the best out of it. Not forgetting that Sony doesn’t have the best reputation when it comes to software updates, which should be on everyone’s mind when spending this kind of money.

Sony Xperia 5 II: Hot or not?
  • Hot
  • Not
That said, the Xperia 5 II is still the best pick for Sony fans right now and it’s a very promising sign for next year’s iterations. Patching up the camera app(s) and simplifying some of its software idiosyncrasies are easily addressable.

Sony is tantalizing close to offering the best multimedia phone around. Throw in some integration with the PlayStation 5 and I’d be very tempted to permanently setup in Sony’s camp.
The Sony Xperia 5 II is up for pre-order from today is expected to start shipping in the US from December 4. Let us know your thoughts on the phone in the poll above, or grab yours below!
Old 10-20-2020, 06:31 AM
Safety Car

Question Marques Brownlee

Old 10-28-2020, 06:58 AM
Safety Car

Thumbs up PhoneArena

https://www.phonearena.com/news/sony...-2020_id128088

Sony's Xperia smartphone business has finally stopped shrinking

by Joshua Swingle
@joshuaswingle
Oct 28, 2020, 5:38 AM

Always have the latest iPhone with Vodafone's annual upgrade promiseSony used to be one of the largest smartphone manufacturers in the world, but in recent years it’s been reduced to a niche brand with limited availability in Europe and the United States.

Now, new data suggests the worst may finally be over.

Sony Xperia sales remained stable last quarter

Sony shipped 600,000 Xperia smartphones in the quarter ending September 30, 2020. That may seem like nothing when measured up to the millions of units sold by Apple and Samsung, but it compares well with previous results.

In the equivalent 2019 quarter, Sony sold the same number of Xperia smartphones, which means sales have finally stopped stopped shrinking after half a decade of (almost) constant year-on-year drops.
Considering the circumstances, that's certainly no mean feat. The global economy is still recovering from the COVID-19 pandemic and smartphone demand isn’t entirely back to normal levels.

Sony still expects the Xperia business to post a profit

There’s more good news, too. The Xperia smartphone division generated $759.46 million in revenue last quarter, up slightly from the $746.04 million generated a year earlier.

Sony revealed in August that its Mobile Communications division was on track to post its first yearly profit in four years, and that continues to be the case following the most recent results.
The Japanese company hasn’t provided detailed performance predictions for the current quarter, but with the recent
Xperia 5 Xperia 5
II release and the upcoming holiday season, a sales jump is to be expected.

Sony Xperia 5 II vs Xperia 1 II: What are the differences?
Sep 17, 2020, 5:51 AM, by Mariyan Slavov
Sony forecasts first profit for Xperia smartphone business in years
Aug 10, 2020, 11:10 AM, by Joshua Swingle
Apple Glass rumor has device launching during H1 2022 sporting Sony microLED panels
2 days ago, 2:21 PM, by Alan Friedman
5G iPhone 12 series might have hidden feature that allows Apple to match Huawei and Samsung
4 hours ago, by Alan Friedman

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER!

Old 11-24-2020, 06:33 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Compact

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-So....505576.0.html

The Sony Xperia Compact line could be back for good in 2021 with a new 5G Snapdragon chipset

The Compact version of Sony's Xperias may make a comeback. (Source: Sony)There are now rumors of Sony's resurrecting the Compact versions of the Xperia smartphone series. Such stories have been around before, although this one comes with mention of the Snapdragon 775 SoC, which might grace the premium mid-rangers of 2021. This Compact is also now said to have a display size of just 5.5 inches.
Deirdre O'Donnell, 11/23/2020 The Xperia 5 II recently launched with a relatively tiny 6.1-inch display. However, the Japanese blog AndroidNext now asserts that Sony is working on a device that will outdo it in these terms. This putative phone does not have one of this OEM's exhaustive number/mark names as of yet, but does have a next-gen chipset linked to it already.

It is the Snapdragon 775, which is touted as the successor to the 765 seen in some 2020 mid-rangers in . Therefore, this "new Compact" and the also-rumored Xperia 10 III may not be one and the same, as that phone is thought to launch with the Snapdragon 690 processor.

Therefore, this last possible phone could form the bottom of the Sony mobile tier in the immediate future, with the purported Compact somewhere in the middle and a hypothetical 5 Mark III perhaps hovering above it.

Reports of the Xperia Compact series rising again have circulated before: however, this time, Sony might bank on the success of the iPhone 12 Mini in order to make it a reality this time.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:29 AM
Safety Car

Talking Pro 5G

https://www.phonearena.com/news/sony...price_id129252

The Sony Xperia Pro 5G may finally be 'coming soon' to the US

by
Adrian Diaconescu
Dec 28, 2020, 3:57 PM

The Best Spigen Cases for the iPhone 12If you're one of the very few people that might get excited about the prospect of a new ultra-high-end Sony smartphone, you should know there's something in the pipeline likely to beat the
Xperia 1"><span style=Xperia 1" /> Xperia 1">Xperia 1
III to the punch when it comes to official US availability.

We're talking about the
Sony Xperia Pro, which is essentially a "field-ready" derivation of the "mainstream" Xperia 1 II initially unveiled all the way back in February. While it may sound like this particular imaging powerhouse has long missed its US train, B&H Photo Video claims the 5G-enabled handset will be released stateside after all... at some point in the not-too-distant future.

Unfortunately, the retailer is not ready to accept pre-orders or reveal exactly when we should expect the unlocked Xperia Pro 5G to go on sale. All you can currently do is
sign up for availability notifications and hope the device doesn't end up being insanely overpriced.

Then again, given the unlocked Sony
Xperia 1 II"><span style=Xperia 1 II" /> Xperia 1 II">Xperia 1 II
normally fetches an arguably excessive $1,200 in a 256GB storage variant, we don't see how a 512 gig Xperia Pro configuration could go for anything less than $1,300. That's pretty much the best case scenario too, mind you, considering this bad boy adds HDMI connectivity to the already impressive (by early 2020 standards, at least) spec sheet of its non-Pro sibling.

That's an incredibly rare feature for a smartphone, allowing you to use the mobile device as a high-quality external monitor for your professional digital camera. The Sony Xperia Pro comes with its own solid trio of 12MP rear-facing shooters, of course, as well as a truly breathtaking 6.5-inch OLED display with a 4K resolution (3840 x 1644 pixels).

The not-so-remarkable part of the phone's list of features is Qualcomm's Snapdragon 865 processor,
which is about to become yesterday's news. The 8GB RAM count is also not exactly astounding for a handset guaranteed to cost more than $1,000 (possibly, a lot more), but there's a chance the Xperia Pro will actually support 5G connectivity in the US, unlike the Xperia 1 II.

On a related note, it looks like
the unlocked device will definitely work on AT&T, although that doesn't necessarily mean the carrier's customers will be able to squeeze 5G speeds (either using low-band or mmWave technology) out of it.

Old 03-08-2021, 07:12 AM
Safety Car

Cool TechRadar

https://www.techradar.com/news/sony-phones-history

Sony smartphones: a complete history of Xperia flagship phones ahead of Xperia 1 III

By David Nield 2 days ago

The ups and downs of the Xperia Z line
(Image credit: Sony)Sony has been making top-quality smartphones for longer than you might have realized, and to help jog your memory, we're going to take a look back at the history of its flagship Xperia handsets – or at least the part of its history that goes as far back as 2013 anyway.

That's when the Sony Xperia Z arrived, and it marked one of many minor resets that the series has had down the years, with a tweaked design and new features to appeal to the masses. It's a lot different to today's phones, but it's still recognizable as a Sony Xperia.

Something else that has been consistent down the years has been Sony's unconventional naming strategy for its phones – it's been difficult to keep track of which phone fits where, with different numbers, letters and even Roman numerals making an appearance.

We'll simplify everything for you by focusing on the headline flagships of each year, with a brief mention of some of the other variants that came around the same time as each of the main phones. It's a fascinating look back across the history of smartphone development.

Sony Xperia Z (2013)

(Image credit: Sony)The smartphone scene was very different back in 2013, and the Sony Xperia Z proves it: it ran the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro chipset and came with just 2GB of RAM and 16GB of internal storage. There was a single 13.1MP camera on the back, while the LCD display on this handset stretched to a whole 5 inches corner to corner, running at a resolution of 1080 x 1920 pixels.

Some of the regular traits of Sony flagships were in place even at this early stage, including dust and water protection – the IP57 rating that this phone got was very good for the time. The Xperia Z also ushered in a new design language for Sony phones, with an angular, unapologetically rectangular aesthetic that's still in evidence today.

In our original Sony Xperia Z review we praised the water resistance and audio output quality of the phone, and the addition of 4G LTE – by no means a given at the time. In terms of the negatives, we weren't happy that the phone came without a removable battery (remember those?). The phone had Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean on board.

Sony Xperia Z1 (2013)

(Image credit: Sony)The Xperia Z was swiftly followed by the Sony Xperia Z1 later the same year, with a very impressive 20.7 megapixel rear camera that beat out most of the competition at that time (the iPhone 5S of the same year managed an 8MP rear camera). Sony has long been prioritizing a good camera setup, and that's been consistent down the years.

While the starting RAM and internal storage specs stayed the same (a 32GB storage option was added), the processor did get a boost to the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800, so together with the camera upgrade it was a worthwhile new release despite coming so quickly after its predecessor. The phone sported a 5-inch, 1080 x 1920 LCD display, again like the Xperia Z, and it came running Android 4.2 Jelly Bean.

In our Sony Xperia Z1 review the design of the phone and that camera were definite highlights, as was the waterproofing and the performance of the phone with that faster Snapdragon 800 inside. Sony wasn't quite finished with phones in 2013 though, squeezing in the launch of the smaller Z1 Compact before the end of the year.

Sony Xperia Z2 (2014)

(Image credit: Sony)The Sony Xperia Z2 wasn't a huge jump from the Xperia Z1 – the rear camera module was the same, the 16GB starting point for internal storage was the same, and the RAM and processor got small bumps to 3GB and the Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 respectively. The IP rating went up a notch to IP58 and the LCD display now stretched to 5.2 inches (while sticking to the 1080 x 1920 pixel resolution).

The phone came with Android 4.4.2 KitKat when it launched on the software side, and in terms of the hardware design you can see a slow evolution towards the Sony Xperia flagships that we know today. Also notable was the 4K resolution video recording offered by the phone, a real innovation back in 2014.

Our Sony Xperia Z2 review mentioned a lot of plus points, though the minuses included some bugs with that 4K video recording, and what we described as a "bezel-heavy design" compared with what other phone manufacturers were doing. There was no Xperia Z2 Compact this time around, but there was, confusingly, an Xperia Z2 Tablet.

Sony Xperia Z3 (2014)

(Image credit: Sony)Sony's two-flagships-a-year approach continued with the arrival of the Sony Xperia Z3 later in 2014, but there was barely any change from the Xperia X2. The IP rating went up to IP68, the battery got slightly bigger, a 32GB storage option was added, and the phone came running the newer Android 4.4.4 KitKat.

And that was it: this is one of the smallest upgrades in smartphone history. The cameras, processor and screen size and resolution were all identical on the Xperia Z3, so there really wasn't any need to upgrade if you had bought the Xperia Z2 a few months prior. The design was improved slightly though, and the display got brighter.

Read through our Sony Xperia Z3 review from the time and you'll see that we found ourselves rather impressed by the phone, even if it wasn't a massive leap from what had gone before. The premium design came in for particular praise, showing that Sony has always known how to make a decent-looking gadget. The Z3 had both a Compact and a Tablet version as well – the full set.

Sony Xperia Z3+ (2015)

(Image credit: Sony)In 2015 Sony briefly experimented with adding a + to the name of its flagship phones, though if you were in Japan you would have known this phone as the Sony Xperia Z4 – something else that hasn't changed much down the years is Sony's fondness for an unconventional naming strategy when it comes to its smartphones.

Again, the upgrade was a rather minor one, which is going to happen if you're releasing two flagships per year. The processor got a bump to the Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 and the base level storage increased to 32GB storage, though the 3GB of RAM stayed the same and so did the 20.7MP camera. The LCD screen was once again a 5.2, 1080 x 1920 pixel affair, though the software jumped to Android 5.0.1 Lollipop.

Besides commenting on the iterative nature of the update and the odd choice of moniker for the phone, our Sony Xperia Z3+ review highlighted the impressive, waterproof design of the handset and its competitive price point, for the time. In the end though, we concluded that it didn't have the "wow factor" we were hoping for.

Sony Xperia Z5 (2015)

(Image credit: Sony)The next flagship that Sony put out in 2015 was the Xperia Z5, which at last gave us a significant upgrade, at least in the design – remember that if you changed your phone every two years, you would be four Xperia flagships down the line based on Sony's launch strategy at the time. This phone significantly improved the design of the Xperia devices, and was the first to add a fingerprint sensor, in the power button.

As far as the specs go, the processor, RAM, storage and screen were the same as on the Xperia Z3+, so not much had changed there. The rear camera did get an upgrade to 23MP however, and it's worth mentioning that there was also a Z5 Compact and a Z5 Premium (with a bigger screen and bigger battery). Android 5.1.1 Lollipop was on board.

Our review of the Sony Xperia Z5 was full of compliments for the new design – with a frosted glass back and fewer flaps to protect the sockets from water and dust – and we also liked the new fingerprint sensor and the improvements in battery life. The Z5 is definitely one of the better Xperia flagships we've seen down the years.

Sony Xperia X (2016)

(Image credit: Sony)And so to the Sony Xperia X, with Sony now apparently moving backwards through the alphabet for some reason. There was a lot of choice here, with a more powerful Xperia X Performance, a cheaper X Compact, and a budget Xperia XA launched at the same time – yes, we were pretty confused back then too.

The main Sony Xperia X came rocking a Qualcomm Snapdragon 650 processor, 3GB of RAM and up to 64GB of internal storage, with Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on software duties. The rear camera was a 23MP module again, while the 1080 x 1920 pixel resolution LCD screen measured just 5 inches corner-to-corner this time around.

In the TechRadar Sony Xperia X review, the tweaked design and the camera software were two of the highlights picked out for mentions, though the handset ended up being rather underwhelming overall. The screen and the camera continued to be strong selling points for the Xperia phones, even as the line-up became rather needlessly complicated.

Sony Xperia XZ (2016)

(Image credit: Sony)Later in the same year Sony gave us the Sony Xperia XZ, with a top end Snapdragon 820 processor from Qualcomm, 3GB of RAM and up to 64GB of internal storage. In some ways it was the proper successor to the Z5, and it certainly came packed with power and functionality. The phone came running Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow, like the Xperia X.

The 5.2-inch LCD screen once again ran at a 1080 x 1920 pixel resolution, and there was once again a 23MP camera around the back. With a couple of flagship releases every year, plus plenty of other sub-flagship phones as well, it hasn't always been easy to spot where the upgrades have been in the Xperia series.

Our Sony Xperia XZ review from the time commented on yet more design refinements and camera performance tweaks, while also mentioning how each Xperia flagship wasn't all that different from the one that came before it. There was a cheaper XZs and a more expensive XZ Premium (with a bigger, higher resolution screen) a few months afterwards too, as if there weren't already enough Sony phones to pick from.

Sony Xperia XZ1 (2017)

(Image credit: Sony)Having added an extra letter last time out, Sony decided to add an extra number here, with the Sony Xperia XZ1 following the Sony Xperia XZ (keep up at the back). The software jumped all the way to Android 8.0 Oreo, while there was a Qualcomm Snapdragon 835, 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage under the hood.

The LCD display was – yes you've guessed it – a 5.2-inch, 1080 x 1920 pixel panel, while on the rear of the phone Sony had fitted a 19MP camera (at this point manufacturers and users alike were starting to realize that megapixel ratings weren't the only factor to consider in terms of camera quality).

Our Sony Xperia XZ1 review listed the display, battery, processor and camera as core elements that Sony had got right, but the phone didn't particularly excel in any area. While this is the only entry in this list for 2017, the Xperia XZ Premium and Xperia XZs mentioned above came out earlier in 2017, rather than in 2016 with the Xperia XZ – so Sony wasn't really slowing down much.

Sony Xperia XZ2 (2018)

(Image credit: Sony)The Xperia XZ2 name made sense at least, following on from the XZ1 (lingering confusion over the Xperia Z, the Xperia X, and the Xperia XZ notwithstanding). This time around Sony expanded the LCD display to 5.7 inches, with a 1080 x 2160 pixel resolution and an elongated 18:9 aspect ratio. Android 8.0 Oreo was again on board, with the same 19MP rear camera module used too.

Performance got a boost, with the Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 on duty and the internal specs going up to 6GB of RAM and 64GB of internal storage. This was 1 of the more major Xperia upgrades, and it was also the 1st Xperia flagship with wireless charging. It launched alongside the XZ2 Compact and XZ2 Premium variants as well.

In the TechRadar Sony Xperia XZ2 review, we were once again frustrated: Sony was continuing to do a lot right with the Xperia line of flagships, but a few issues (including the refusal to upgrade the display resolution) continued to hold it back. With the iPhone X having launched the year before, the thicker display bezels were starting to look a little outdated as well.

Sony Xperia XZ3 (2018)

(Image credit: Sony)Sony wasn't quite done with its 2-flagships-per-year policy in 2018, and so the Xperia XZ3 followed not long after the Xperia XZ2. This was actually quite a substantial upgrade in some areas, though the internal processor, RAM and storage specs stayed the same, as did the rear camera.

What did change was the display: the size grew to 6 inches, the bezels slimmed down, the resolution was boosted to 1440 x 2880 pixels, and Sony used an OLED screen on its Xperia range for the first time. The phone came with the latest Android 9.0 Pie software as well, giving consumers another reason to pick up the handset.

In the Sony Xperia XZ3 review, that new and improved display came in for a lot of praise – it was one of the 1st OLED phones to market, and Sony deserves a lot of credit for it. We were less enamored by the fingerprint scanner placement, though overall the phone was a real success for Sony (in our eyes at least).

Sony Xperia 1 (2019)

(Image credit: Sony)In 2019 Sony decided to ditch the letters and start again with the numbers, and the Sony Xperia 1 was a powerhouse of a phone: it offered a Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 processor, 6GB of RAM, and up to 128GB of internal storage, and it came sporting a 6.5-inch, 1644 x 3840 pixel resolution OLED display.

At long last there were multiple cameras on the back – a triple-lens 12MP+12MP+12MP array in this case – although for some reason the wireless charging disappeared again, and at launch the handset was only running Android 9.0 Pie like its predecessor. Despite those caveats, this was a flagship phone in just about every way.

Our Sony Xperia 1 review praised the 4K HDR OLED display – a stunning 21:9 aspect ratio screen – and it seemed to be aimed particularly at people who were wanting to make movies with their phones. A few months later we also got the Sony Xperia 5, a cheaper and more compact version of the phone (the new Compact edition, basically).

Sony Xperia 1 II (2020)

(Image credit: Sony)The last phone in our potted history of Sony Xperia flagship handsets is the Sony Xperia 1 II, with Sony again proving that it was the best at coming up with confusing naming strategies. While the display dimensions and resolution stayed the same, the internals got upgraded to a Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 chipset, plus up to 12GB of RAM and up to 256GB of internal storage – seriously high-level specs.

The triple lens 12MP+12MP+12MP rear camera was a slight upgrade over the Xperia 1 (the optical zoom increased, for example), while this time Android 10 was on board the phone when it launched. Even better, wireless charging was back, and this was the first Sony flagship phone to come with 5G (though not in the US).

Our Sony Xperia 1 II review puts the emphasis on the large size of the handset and that dominating display, while also mentioning the strong performance you can get from this phone. It was undoubtedly the best Sony Xperia phone to date when it launched, but it had some quirks of its own, and it came at a high price.