Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Should I finally get an iPad?

Old 08-28-2018, 07:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I finally get an iPad?

I've always wanted an iPad, but thought it would just be a waste and I'd never use it...I'd think about it for a few weeks every year, but never get one. I realized 90% of the time when I'm home in between my long hours at work, I'm reading articles/blogs/watching videos on my iPhone SE (the smaller screen iPhone, 4 inch), and on the couch looking at the tiny little screen. It seems like a tablet/iPad would be perfect for general free time use.

I found this deal that expires 9/1, best I've seen to date:
https://bensbargains.com/bargain/app...t-2018-611820/ ($264 shipped)

1. Is this a good price?
2. For those of you who have them, what are your primary uses? Do you find it worth it in addition to your iPhone or smart phone?
3. If I'm used to iOS is it even worth considering the other brands?

Thanks in advance, much love to you guys as always.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:24 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I remember when my ex bought me one, about five+ or so years ago. It was a first gen... I remember saying to her “what’s the point of this thing? Why didn’t we just get a laptop instead, which has way more capability??” Well that led to a nice little fight

I didn't overly use it much at first... but then started to, more and more. I have a 2nd Gen now, that I use relgiously. I’m sure there are better tablets out there, and whatever, but all I need it for is Spotify, emails, screwing around on the web, banking, etc. Nothing crazy.

I literally use it day in, day out. Hell, I’m using it right now. I love this thing. I take it everywhere. It’s always on, so no need to boot up like a laptop. Battery lasts forever between charges (especially if you decrease the screen brightness). I don’t really have to worry about viruses due to it being an Apple product. I use it when cooking, when going off recipes. I plan trips on it. I download Netflix shows that I watch when travelling. I simply love the thing.

If you use your phone a lot for random shit, you’ll use the iPad just as much. It’s much more convenient to type on with my fat fingers, etc.

My first Gen died and I inherited this one from someone (long story). It’s been solid for the three years I’ve had it. No regrats. When it dies, I’ll surely replace it with another.

Last edited by TacoBello; 08-28-2018 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:26 AM
Team Owner

I’m honestly not very tech savvy. I know android tablets can do a whole whack load more, but it’s stuff I’d never even consider diving into. I personally like Apple’s Operating system and find it very intuitive to use. Not to say my android phones were bad, but, just different.

It does has its shortfalls, here and there, but they’re generally far and few between (at least for myself). I dunno if the new ones have a USB port yet or not, but that would be my only want. Definitely not a requirement though, as there are creative ways to get around that.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:32 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,135 Posts
I prefer sitting on the couch with a laptop.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 811 Likes on 532 Posts
we have 4 in the house. I'd rather sit in front of the computer or look on my phone.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:37 AM
Team Owner

Laptops get hot if there isn’t proper air flow underneath. They generally can’t be unplugged for more than a few hours. They really aren’t nearly as mobile as a tablet. My tablet also has a SIM card in it, so I have internet anywhere I go. No need to look for wifi. I bought a 15GB data SIM card here in Europe for the equivalent of about $8. Getting free wifi here is tough as fuck.

Thats not to say that laptops are bad. They definitely do have their purpose. A physical keyboard is nice to have when working on documents... all I use mine for is writing notes when in work meetings.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:48 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
When I worked, I always had a company laptop to use but when I retired, I initially went with my own laptop. I used it as my main computer and took it whenever we traveled. When it wore out, I went with a desktop PC and the 1st generation iPad. I'm on my second iPad now and I use it all he time both around the house and when traveling. I don't miss traveling without my laptop. The iPad meets my needs. OK, for full disclosure, my wife brings her laptop since she is a writer.but honestly I don't use that. The tablet suits me fine. I mainly use it for reading, email and some games.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:37 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Wait until you are in the return period of the Apple announcement the 2nd week of Sept.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:07 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by r0dxx
2. For those of you who have them, what are your primary uses? Do you find it worth it in addition to your iPhone or smart phone?
3. If I'm used to iOS is it even worth considering the other brands?
I have an iPhone SE that I use as a phone, to glance at email and news feeds during breaks and short down times and to make very specific or narrow information or term searches.
We have an Android tablet which I use to read the news, visit car forums, download manuals and browse the web when moving about or in a room without a laptop.
A laptop is preferred for web browsing, writing or more complex information searches.