Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Motorola V 551 -"Insert Sim Card Message"

Old 11-27-2005, 03:52 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Motorola V 551 -"Insert Sim Card Message"

I have recently purchased (2) Moto v551 phones.
They both paired easily and work well in the RL.

I however have experienced that on occassion when turning on the phone I will get the message "insert Sim Card" and the phone(s) will continue to power up and function without issue.

I have had the Sim Cards replaced but the issue remains. My next step is to have the phones replaced but am puzzeled that 2 phones are having the same issue. If I replace the phones the situation may or may not repeat itself.

Bottom line question...

Is anyone else experiencing the "Insert Sim Card " Message?
Old 11-27-2005, 07:50 PM
Pre-Registered Member

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
Problem is v551, not the sim card. I had this issue two weeks ago and cingulair replaced my phone, ( I had it trouble free for 11 months).
Old 11-27-2005, 08:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by odessa
Problem is v551, not the sim card. I had this issue two weeks ago and cingulair replaced my phone, ( I had it trouble free for 11 months).
2 more questions,please!

1) Has the new phone been working well since replacement?

2) When you got the "Insert Sim Card" message, did the phone continue to power up from that point or did it freeze and become unuseable at that point?

Thnx,

BL(MedRxMan)
Old 11-28-2005, 01:07 AM
Pre-Registered Member

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
1. Replacement works fine with old sim card.
2. Once I got the "Insert Sim Card" message, the phone would just stay on that message, but if I turn it off for @1 hour, it would start up and work OK for a couple of hours. I had it replaced after that.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:26 PM
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
its probably the sim card not the phone
Old 11-28-2005, 08:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Slooo97CL
its probably the sim card not the phone
why the cafrd and not the pnone..Already had 2 new sim cards (one for each phone)
Old 11-29-2005, 04:46 PM
TLover

its the phone.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TLXLR8S
its the phone.
Well for what it's worth, I stopped by the cingular store last night and was given a newly released SIM CARD that has worked without issue. I can not create the "Insert SIM CARD" message after many many tries. Will have the card replaced in the second phone tomorrow.

I guess that being a Cingular Store Manager, you are now aware of the new SIm Card, yes?

Last edited by medrxman; 11-29-2005 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:47 AM
TLover

Originally Posted by medrxman
Well for what it's worth, I stopped by the cingular store last night and was given a newly released SIM CARD that has worked without issue. I can not create the "Insert SIM CARD" message after many many tries. Will have the card replaced in the second phone tomorrow.

I guess that being a Cingular Store Manager, you are now aware of the new SIm Card, yes?
yes, we just got the new sim cards today. the new sim card is for the new 3G internet. there are so many differet reasons for that message to come up. ive had so many crazy reasons that dont even make sense. so you never really know what the problem really is. i guessed the phone b/c you changed the sim and still had the message. anyway its good that you got this issue fixed.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:50 PM
TLover

i just found the e-mail about this issue (its a known issue).

An issue was recently identified within specific batches of the Gemplus 64K SIM that may result in a small percentage of failures for some end users. The root cause is related to a “wafer” component which may weaken over time causing an “Insert SIM” error message to display on the handset. This issue can occur when activating the SIM, or further into the life of the product. NOTE: This error message can also occur for other unrelated issues. Only the units identified below are included in this advisory.

These “At Risk” cards have been deactivated with the exception of those currently in use on an account. Any attempt to activate additional cards within this batch will fail.

Cingular is continuing to work with Gemplus to ensure the issue is correctly identified, contained and corrective action implemented to prevent additional occurrences. The performance of our SIM cards over the past several years has been consistently high and there is no indication this will change. However, it is important we take a proactive role to ensure our Customers are not at risk, and our Partners are aligned with our quality expectations.

Customer / Embedded Base Resolution: The impact of this process is under review. Customers that experience a failure related to this issue should be assisted according to normal policies and guidelines. Listed below are some basic steps for troubleshooting the SIM issue. Please make sure to review your standard replacement procedures for further information. If a customer reports an issue which appears to be related to this advisory, follow standard troubleshooting and replacement procedures to ensure the customer has a working active SIM card.

you can try this, it might help.

1. Power off the phone
2. Remove the back cover and battery
3. Carefully remove the SIM card from its cavity
4. Gently wipe the SIM with a soft cloth
5. Clean the gold contacts on the SIM card using a pencil eraser
6. Carefully remove all eraser residue from the SIM card
7. Carefully replace the SIM card back into its cavity
8. Once the SIM card is secure, replace the battery and back cover, and power on the phone
9. Place a test call

If a SIM is determined to be defective, follow the standard replacement procedures:
1. Transfer customers saved data from the old SIM to the new SIM if possible
2. Ensure the customers account is updated with the new SIM number

Gemplus SIM Failure - UPDATE

Issue/Volume number:
The root cause is related to a “wafer” component which may weaken over time causing an “Insert SIM” error message to display on the handset. This issue can occur when activating the SIM, or further into the life of the product.

These “At Risk” cards have been deactivated with the exception of those currently in use on an account. Any attempt to activate additional cards within this batch will fail. Cingular is continuing to work with Gemplus to ensure the issue is correctly identified, contained and corrective action implemented to prevent additional occurrences. The performance of our SIM cards over the past several years has been consistently high and there is no indication this will change. However, it is important we take a proactive role to ensure our Customers are not at risk, and our Partners are aligned with our quality expectations.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:58 PM
Racer

Thank you for the info on the SIM CARD. Had the card replaced in the second phone today and have turned it on and off various times during the day and all works well.

The irony of this entire scenerio is that I purchased both phones last week and had the same problem with both phones. Checked the sequence numbers of both phones and they wer manufactured at different times.

Perhaps the Cingular store I went to had a bad batch of Sim Cards or just a coincidence with experience. Anyway all looks good so far and hopefully it will stay that way for 2 years.

The Blue Tooth works great in my '05 RL.

Again, Thanks for your interest.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:29 PM
TLover

no problem, any time.