Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Motorola Atrix

Old 01-15-2011, 04:52 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Motorola Atrix

Just noticed there wasn't a thread for it already, guess I'd make one. This phone gives me wood. Hell I don't even like calling it a phone, I'd call it a multimedia device... looking at its features makes me

http://mediacenter.motorola.com/Pres...ting-353c.aspx

LAS VEGAS – CES – Jan. 5, 2011 — Motorola Mobility, Inc. (NYSE: MMI), and AT&T today unveiled Motorola ATRIX™ 4G, the only smartphone that allows you to carry the power of mobile computing inside your pocket. Motorola’s revolutionary webtop application changes mobile computing forever by unleashing the power of the smartphone like never before. Designed to bring unprecedented computing to your smartphone, Motorola’s webtop application runs a full Mozilla Firefox 3.6 browser and supports Adobe® Flash® Player to open up all the rich graphics, animations and video on the web. Motorola ATRIX 4G includes a dual core processor with each core running at 1 GHz, delivering up to two GHz of processing power. Put simply, Motorola ATRIX 4G is the world’s most powerful smartphone.

“Consumers are increasingly using smartphones as their primary digital screens,” said Bill Ogle, chief marketing officer, Motorola Mobility, Inc. “Motorola ATRIX 4G ushers in a new era of mobile computing. ATRIX comes loaded with the Motorola webtop application, and when used with one of our exclusive docks, enables consumers to extend the capabilities of their smartphones. Together, these provide a revolutionary interactive computing experience that empowers individuals in new ways for staying connected, informed and entertained at home, on the job and anywhere in between.”

"With ATRIX 4G, we are rethinking what a smartphone can be, and literally changing the game with a new device category that combines the power of a laptop with the latest smartphone features and 4G speeds," said David Christopher, chief marketing officer, AT&T mobility and consumer markets. "With Motorola Mobility, we're delivering on our commitment to provide customers with the best mobile broadband experience and best smartphones."

Motorola ATRIX 4G is designed to essentially become a user’s primary digital hub to create, edit and interact with documents, media and content. This is facilitated by Motorola’s webtop application and incredible new accessory docks, such as the Laptop Dock, that provide users with a larger screen, keyboard and trackpad enabling them to have an enhanced and more interactive computer-like experience with their devices.

While in the webtop application users can run their Android applications in a window, browse their favorite websites with a full Firefox desktop browser, send instant messages and make phone calls, all at the same time. Calls continue uninterrupted if Motorola ATRIX 4G is removed from a dock. Users can take advantage of the ability to surf the web, view social networking, and use HTML5 web-based applications and supported cloud computing services. Plus, the new Entertainment Center feature lets you show all of the photos, music and videos you already enjoy on-the-go on a big screen in your living room. In the U.S., ATRIX 4G will feature the AT&T U-verse® Mobile application, which allows users to schedule recordings, and for qualifying TV customers, download and watch hit TV shows on their smartphones.

Motorola ATRIX 4G provides consumers with instantaneous access to all their emails, files and media. While using the webtop application, business users with an existing Citrix account will benefit from the integrated Citrix Receiver application that provides secure, high performance access to virtual desktops as well as Windows®, web and office applications hosted on Citrix XenDesktop. In addition to the full suite of office productivity applications and email applications, users can also access a great number of web applications such as Salesforce.com, Google Docs, and any HTML application or service from the full desktop browser.

Motorola ATRIX 4G runs Android™ 2.2 with access to more than 100,000 apps and games in the Android Market™.

Motorola is introducing two industry-leading companion docks for ATRIX 4G:

The Motorola HD Multimedia Dock has three USB ports and an HDMI port enabling connections to a keyboard, mouse, speakers and HDMI-compatible monitor for working at your desk/office, or connecting to an HDMI-compatible television and home theater audio system for interacting with content and enjoying video, music, games and more in your living room.
The Motorola Laptop Dock has an incredibly thin design with an 11.6-inch screen, full keyboard, stereo speakers, 36Wh three-cell battery that delivers up to eight hours of battery life and weighs just 2.4 pounds. Users simply dock their Motorola ATRIX 4G into the back of the Laptop Dock to turn it into an active, connected machine to experience true mobility at work, home and playing on-the-go in a form factor that’s lighter and smaller than most laptops on the market.
Key features and specifications:

A dual-core processor capable of opening web pages twice as fast as most other smartphones, rendering games faster and displaying HD video on big-screen TVs
A full 1 GB of RAM for twice the RAM of most smartphones to deliver effortless multi-tasking, such as watching a movie while receiving and responding to email
The world’s first qHD display for a smartphone, offering high resolution and 24-bit color, making it easier to read indoors and outdoors
Front- and rear-facing cameras and the ability to record in HD
Convenient biometric fingerprint reader for easily unlocking your phone while providing extra security
Up to 48GB of storage (16GB internal and optional 32GB MicroSD card) – enough to store thousands of songs, photos and movies
2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi 802.11n support, enabling as much as 50 percent faster download and upload speeds in WiFi mode compared to most other smartphones
Optional AT&T Mobile Hotspot service for connecting up to five additional Wi-Fi-enabled devices
Under 11 mm thin with an extra large 1930 mAh battery for extended standby and talk time
Two microphones for noise-reduction technology so your calls will be heard loud and clear in even the noisiest environments
Supports HD video capture and replay for most multimedia standards
Availability

Motorola ATRIX 4G will be available to AT&T customers in Q1 2011. For more ATRIX 4G information visit: www.motorola.com/atrix and www.att.com/ATRIX4G. Motorola ATRIX 4G will be available exclusively in the U.S. for AT&T customers.

About Motorola Mobility
Motorola Mobility, Inc. (NYSE:MMI) fuses innovative technology with human insights to create experiences that simplify, connect and enrich people's lives. Our portfolio includes converged mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets; wireless accessories; end-to-end video and data delivery; and management solutions, including set-tops and data-access devices. For more information, visit motorola.com/mobility.
Can anyone with a Motorola phone or previous experience with Motoblur comment on Motoblur? Skimming over some comments in another article, someone basically said having Motoblur is a bad thing...?
Old 01-16-2011, 11:20 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Too bad it's on AT&T.

I'm sure other carriers will pick it up, but I will have to wait, or wait until the other hardware makers create their own version.

It's the docks that are the true marvel here. The phone is impressive, but it's ability to communicate with the other devices that is the way of the future.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
if you really want it, get it, root it and motorblur will not be your worry anymore... I am sure some of the peeps are gonna start working on a new ROM for this phone ASAP, heck they may have already

Post over in the Android thread, you will get more action over there, most likely since I know there are some rooted motorola droids in the hands of some AZ peeps in there...
Old 01-22-2011, 02:49 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I should have one in my hands next week and I have to say i'm freaking excited. The motoblur is one weak point, but I don't think the newest version is too bad especially if your using a launcher replacement. Though hopefully we will see a gingerbread port for this very soon.

I'll come back and give my impressions once I get mine.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:09 AM

Received 2,811 Likes on 1,991 Posts
review on endgadget.

http://www.engadget.com/motorola/atrix-4g-review/

pretty disappointing that the heavily advertised parts don't even work that great.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:20 AM

Sounds like one sweet phone to me

Will 3rd party peripherals be compatible? I imagine and hope they will be. Phone makers out there still have about 4.5 months to impress me

$500 for the webtop peripheral.... lulz. Might as well get an (overall) faster, more capable netbook for that price. I don't mind carry a mouse along with that thing (I hate touchpads anyway) but considering how expensive it is and how sluggish it is, meh

Still, as a phone it's freakin sweet. Should have no problem just using an HDMI cable... I certainly don't. The picture and video (less so) quality seem really good, not mind blowing but the ability to hook it up to a TV by using just an HDMI cable... real cool.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:12 AM

most android phones can hook up to a TV via HDMI.

just not really seeing the attraction this has compared to the other dual core android phones coming out.

i know the webtop thing sounds silly and what not, but thats what this phone was heavily advertised about at CES.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:58 PM

If I remember correctly, at CES they had it all working very smoothly... can no one replicate that level of performance?

Motorola is gonna put a stain on this rig if they dont get this working well as well as drop the price on the goods...
Old 02-16-2011, 08:58 PM

yea, and seriously 500 bux just for the laptop connection part?

i mean all you're paying for is a display, battery, keyboard and some USB ports or whatnot. how the hell does that come out to 500 bux???!?

500 can get you a regular decent laptop, or even maybe a iPad? or a netbook?
Old 02-16-2011, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mizouse
yea, and seriously 500 bux just for the laptop connection part?

i mean all you're paying for is a display, battery, keyboard and some USB ports or whatnot. how the hell does that come out to 500 bux???!?

500 can get you a regular decent laptop, or even maybe a iPad? or a netbook?
349 for a laptop at BB rite now and then 299 for a Samsung Tab

...or a 200 bucks for a netbook and then 299 for a Tab or just 500 bucks for a ipad...

...they just have to understand that as fast as this market moves... no one is going to drop that much cash into a phone system that we know will be obsolete soon... quad core phones are already in the horizon...
Old 02-16-2011, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by mentalcase
I should have one in my hands next week and I have to say i'm freaking excited. The motoblur is one weak point, but I don't think the newest version is too bad especially if your using a launcher replacement. Though hopefully we will see a gingerbread port for this very soon.

I'll come back and give my impressions once I get mine.
...please come back.. I wanna know if it all that and a bag of chips!
Old 02-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Yeah the dock pricing is a disappointment. Not sure what Motorola was thinking. The phone, though, looks excellent. The MotoBlur can be replaced with any of the Home Launchers so thats not a biggy. Hopefully, the price will go down in the next few weeks or 3rd party will make docks that'll be cheaper kinda like those dock accessories for the iPhones, iPods.

Here's Walt's review on it:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...motorola+atrix

Looks pretty positive all around.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:36 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
$129 for new accounts at Walmart through Wednesday, possibly Thursday.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
Thats a price !
Old 02-22-2011, 03:13 PM

Holy crap..... the itch....
Old 02-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Banned

I know. I'm so tempted to pick up a cheap Android, just to check it out.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:08 PM

An FYI something about the root being signed meaning that it's supposed to be harder to root?
Old 02-22-2011, 04:20 PM

Motorola Atrix root found to be signed, hacking might not be so easy
BY TIM STEVENS
POSTEDFEB 22ND 2011 11:33AM
That the Atrix got itself rooted before it was even available made us wonder just how... receptive it would be to the caresses of the hacker community at large. Sadly we're finding it's perhaps a bit more frigid than its friendly demeanor might have lead us to believe. User adlx.xda over at the xda-developers forums has found that the phone's system files are not encrypted, but they are signed. This will make the process of replacing them and loading custom builds and the like rather more complicated -- but surely not impossible.

[Thanks, chaoslimits]
Old 02-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Safety Car

It just means that its not as easy to root as say the Nexus One, or Nexus S and one-click roots are probably harder to come by but its still rootable. What I'm concerned about is the bootloader being encrypted or not. Still haven't heard anything official about that.

The Xoom tablet won't be bootloader encrypted, at least that's the word right now.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:07 PM

i know, it says in the article that it will just be harder, not impossible.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
It just means that its not as easy to root as say the Nexus One, or Nexus S and one-click roots are probably harder to come by but its still rootable. What I'm concerned about is the bootloader being encrypted or not. Still haven't heard anything official about that.

The Xoom tablet won't be bootloader encrypted, at least that's the word right now.
I think they just said they are encrypting it

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/22/m...er-unlockable/
Old 03-05-2011, 12:32 AM
Team SSM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
seem's like AT&T capped the upload speed on the Atrix....I was running some speed tests and noticed i kept getting only 300kb/s so I decided to google it and indeed plenty of people have been experiencing the same crappy upload speed....
Old 03-05-2011, 12:42 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SSMTL04
seem's like AT&T capped the upload speed on the Atrix....I was running some speed tests and noticed i kept getting only 300kb/s so I decided to google it and indeed plenty of people have been experiencing the same crappy upload speed....
Yup ATT cripples all their phones except for the iphone. Your best bet is to wait for the Canadian release of the Atrix so you can flash the Modem that they're using to enable HSUPA. That's how they do it now for the Samsung Captivate. They use the international Galaxy S Modem to enable HSUPA.

Here's ATT's reasoning for the cap:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/23/a...-inside-story/

I've been using HSUPA on my international Galaxy S since I got the phone so not sure where they're pulling that excuse out of.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 03-05-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:45 AM
Safety Car

Not sure if you already saw this as well. XDA has allowed the use of any HDMI cable to output the Webtop feature:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=980193

Would love to try out that feature if I had an Atrix. You will need root to do this. And you can get root easily by following this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803682

Also you'll need to deodex your system folder which can be done easily following this tutorial:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=971638

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 03-05-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Banned

That makes it much more usable. Perhaps when I'm ready to switch they'll have the Atrix 2.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:30 AM
MechEng

Received 486 Likes on 403 Posts
Posting from my new Atrix got it at Costco yesterday for $120 with 2 year contract. I am an existing ATT customer.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by 03tLsNBP
Posting from my new Atrix got it at Costco yesterday for $120 with 2 year contract. I am an existing ATT customer.
I think ur the 1st peep here to get one!

Please give a qwik review as soon as you Have a minute .... also, what Phone did u have bf?
Old 03-14-2011, 07:13 PM
MechEng

Well coming from a 2 year old Samsung Eternity, this thing blows that out of the water. It is amazingly fast. As soon as I got it, I downloaded and installed about 15 apps simultaneously and it felt like the phone wasn't even breaking a sweat. I am still learning everything and navigating through Android for the first time is not as intuitive as it is on the iPhone 4. But I think I will like this phone so much more than I would have liked the iPhone 4 or even 5.

The HDMI out is really cool. Just plug it in into a tv or monitor and navigate and play movies, music, and pictures. I got a chance to use Tango video chatting also. I video chatted with my friend who also has the Atrix. He was in a car somewhere in Massachusetts but the quality was amazing. I could hear him clearer than if I had just called him.

I haven't had a chance to play around with everything yet. And since I came from a garbage phone before hand, I may not be the best person to review this phone, since everything about it is just amazing to me....but it might not actually be compared to other Android phones.

Anyways I am very happy with my purchase
Old 03-15-2011, 08:16 AM
My Garage

Did you get the dock?
Old 03-15-2011, 03:26 PM
MechEng

Nope they werent selling that at Costco. But I may get it eventually.

So far the battery life has been about the same as my brother's iPhone 4. I have to figure out how to optimize the power saving though.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:42 PM
My Garage

Nope they werent selling that at Costco. But I may get it eventually.

So far the battery life has been about the same as my brother's iPhone 4. I have to figure out how to optimize the power saving though.
FYI, ways to bypass the dock using an HMDI cable have been discovered. Save the cash and just figure out how to mod the phone.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:11 PM
MechEng

Hm ok thanks. I may just get the vehicle dock if anything.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:56 AM

Well coming from a 2 year old Samsung Eternity, this thing blows that out of the water. It is amazingly fast. As soon as I got it, I downloaded and installed about 15 apps simultaneously and it felt like the phone wasn't even breaking a sweat. I am still learning everything and navigating through Android for the first time is not as intuitive as it is on the iPhone 4. But I think I will like this phone so much more than I would have liked the iPhone 4 or even 5.

The HDMI out is really cool. Just plug it in into a tv or monitor and navigate and play movies, music, and pictures. I got a chance to use Tango video chatting also. I video chatted with my friend who also has the Atrix. He was in a car somewhere in Massachusetts but the quality was amazing. I could hear him clearer than if I had just called him.

I haven't had a chance to play around with everything yet. And since I came from a garbage phone before hand, I may not be the best person to review this phone, since everything about it is just amazing to me....but it might not actually be compared to other Android phones.

Anyways I am very happy with my purchase
Awesome qwik and dirty review... when you get a chance, come to the Android thread... I know someone over there has the info youre looking for!
Old 03-16-2011, 11:40 AM
Safety Car

Hm ok thanks. I may just get the vehicle dock if anything.
Yup. I posted how to do it at Post #24 in this thread. And it looks like you no longer need root or to have the ROM deodexed to use any HDMI cable. Read more here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=980193
Old 03-16-2011, 05:25 PM
MechEng

Camera is good

Am I really the first one here to get this phone? That deal at Costco was amazing, I thought more people would take advantage of it.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:39 PM
My Garage

Camera is good

Am I really the first one here to get this phone? That deal at Costco was amazing, I thought more people would take advantage of it.
As a device I think it's great, but it's on AT&T, so pass.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Safety Car

I considered it. But Motorola locking bootloaders is a big turn off for me. I can't/won't buy a Motorola product on that principle. I'm also actually enjoying my Galaxy S a lot especially with all the recent updates they've been pushing out on Froyo. Its exactly what the phone should've been from the beginning. It also helps that CM7 and MIUI are close to being final for the phone so flashing custom ROMs is just as fun.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:38 AM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
@03tLsNBP How is the call quality? My brother said a couple people at his work got the phone but returned it because the call quality was bad.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
As a device I think it's great, but it's on AT&T, so pass.

Okay.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:56 AM
My Garage

Okay.
Ok?

Quick Reply: Motorola Atrix