Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Microsoft: Windows Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 10:04 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,118 Likes on 6,107 Posts
Well I wouldn't expect them to part of the windows team per say and run under Steven Sinofsky. I'd expect them to be pretty independent from Windows but share some of the deep underlying code. Much like how iOS "runs" on Mac OS X. Very different products but share some similar code.

I think the idea to easily make an app/game that runs across phone/tablet/PC is great. Which is again just my speculation.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:08 PM
Sanest Florida Man

If they were going to do this I would think this would be something that they'd like to announce pretty soon. In order to get developers working on this ASAP. So that when Windows 8 and Apollo come out around the same time that developers can have their apps ready. I thought Mobile World Congress they'd talk about "Tango" the interim update geared towards running on very low end hardware designed for less developed markets like India, China or Africa, but who knows.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:26 PM
Sanest Florida Man

I guess I wasn't talking crazy....

You think you have to code a lot to convert Windows 8 metro apps to Windows Phone apps? You’ll be surprised.

As we reported, it turns out that once a developer creates an app for Windows 8, he can easily make it work on Windows Phone with one line of code. (Windows 8 Fully Suports HTML5, CSS, Javascript). And he certainly won’t have to write another app from scratch to do it.

Silverlight Apps Created For Windows 8 Run Just As Easily On Windows Phone

Recently, Steven Sinofsky gave a demo of Windows 8 apps running on Windows Phone. When originally written for tablets, the apps can be made compatible with Windows Phones by changing just one line of code. Since Windows Phone apps are either created through XNA Studio framework or Silverlight, Silverlight will be the common development platform for both.

And that is what Microsoft had intended to do in the first place anyway, ever since they launched Windows Phone 7. The ultimate aim seems to be to make Silverlight the one development platform for all Microsoft operating platforms. Cross-platform supports between tablets, desktops and smartphones will also hopefully attract more developers to the platform.

Microsoft’s Approach so far has been drastically different from its main competitor Apple. Whilst Apple is making sure to keep the OS separate for Desktop/Laptops and Smartphones/Tablets, Microsoft is actively bring them together. Arguably, Apple is on its way towards the same but it is taking much slower curve than MSFT in this matter.

After the reasonable success of Windows 7, Windows 8 might snag a lot of the mobile market share away from Apple and Google.
http://windows7themes.net/windows-8-...ne-7-apps.html
Old 02-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Sanest Florida Man

PocketNow came across an internal MS video of Joe Belfiore (head WP guy) talking about the new features in WP 8, here's the deets from the vid

Hardware

One of the key criticisms about the current Windows Phone ecosystem is the strict set of guidelines that Microsoft has established for phone handsets, which allow few opportunities for manufacturers to differentiate on a hardware level. The Android ecosystem is filled with screens of all resolutions and sizes, multi-core processors and any number of other component variations, while Windows Phone handsets are all relatively similar on the inside.

Joe Belfiore explains in the video that Windows Phone 8 will bring a much greater range of hardware configurations; “scale and choice” of hardware is a key focus here. There will be support for four additional screen resolutions (the exact resolutions were not specified, but we’d hope to see both lower and higher, and perhaps even HD, resolutions supported), as well as support for multi-core processing and for removable microSD cards.

As we expected, NFC will also be baked into Apollo, bringing capabilities for what Belfiore calls “the wallet experience”, to allow consumers to use their device for contactless payments, and tap-to-share experiences with other devices, such as phones, tablets and PCs.

Windows 8

As we know, Microsoft is extending its Metro user experience to its next-generation PC operating system, Windows 8, but the connection between Windows 8 and its mobile counterpart will go further than just look and feel. There will be major software commonalities and ‘overlap’ between the two, allowing software developers to “reuse, by far, most of their code” in developing apps for both PC and phone. Kernel, networking stacks, multimedia and security features are identified as areas of significant commonality.

Windows Phone 8 will no longer rely on the Zune PC software to manage synchronisation between the phone and computer; instead, it seems, there will be a more closely integrated sync solution that will allow WP8 and W8 devices to connect and share data. Belfiore identifies the example of having your music collection instantly synchronised to a new Windows Phone 8 device via improved SkyDrive integration, without having to manually synchronise the handset with the PC.

Further integration is promised with the Xbox Companion app, which gets its own Windows 8 version.

Software ecosystem

By the time Windows Phone 8 arrives, Microsoft believes that there will be around 100,000 apps available in the Marketplace (having reached 60,000 apps just a couple of weeks ago). Native code support will make it much easier for apps to be ported from other platforms such as Android and iOS, as well as offering greater support for more powerful apps.

Skype, now part of the Microsoft family of course (and coming soon to Windows Phone 7.5 as a non-native downloadable app), will be integrated into the Windows Phone 8 OS via a new and improved Skype client; although Skype will remain a separate app, it will 'hook' into the OS to allow Skype calls to be placed with the same ease and direct access with which one can currently make a ‘traditional’ non-VoIP call. This kind of integration is a development of the Windows Phone App Connect and Windows 8 Contracts features, which allow the OS and individual apps to interact with each more seamlessly.

A redeveloped camera API will see Microsoft provide a ‘basic camera interface’ which OEMs can skin or add to with viewfinders and other third-party plug-ins. An example given is of a so-called ‘lens app’ that can combine burst mode with smile detection to enhance the quality of the snap.

Data management

DataSmart is a new feature that aims to drastically simplify the way data is used and managed. Windows Phone 8 will actively afford precedence to wi-fi connections wherever available, automatically connecting to carrier-aligned wi-fi networks if they are in range. Data usage can also be monitored at a glance with a live tile. Much of this functionality was revealed in its preview of the Windows 8 mobile data experience, which we covered here on Neowin a couple of weeks ago.

Internet Explorer 10 on Windows Phone 8 will use a proxy server to feed compressed pages to handsets to reduce the amount of data required to serve web content; in this case, it’s claimed that data consumption can be reduced by 30%.

Business and enterprise

One criticism levelled at Windows Phone is the lack of ‘hardcore’ support for enterprise and business environments. In an effort to address these concerns, Windows Phone 8 will offer integrated 128-bit BitLocker encryption, as currently found on some Windows PC operating system versions.

Businesses will also be able to deploy their own proprietary software directly to handsets, behind their own corporate firewalls, without having to submit to the public Windows Phone Marketplace.
http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...hone-8-details

looks pretty suite! I'm interested in the IE10 compression proxy, that's what Opera Mini does.

I'm sure there's much more to come.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Very NSFW

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yNMzeUgThtU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-06-2012, 03:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
the new lumnia 920 looks amazing!
Old 09-06-2012, 03:18 AM
Suzuka Master

if i can get this on tmobile i may give it a try... I've already done apple and android, this seems like it will be good.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Yes it does. Very interested in the camera. I'm hoping to hear more about new features in WP8 before I make up my mind. But my next phone will be either the 920 or the iPhone 5
Old 09-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
Yes it does. Very interested in the camera. I'm hoping to hear more about new features in WP8 before I make up my mind. But my next phone will be either the 920 or the iPhone 5
i have till december till i get a new phone, but its already narrowed down to a Nexus phone or the 920 (if its even offered on tmobile) otherwise its gonna be a nexus phone.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Sanest Florida Man

So in preparation for possibly switching to Windows Phone I've been in the app marketplace checking to see if all my apps that I use on my iPhone are there or if there's a good equivalent.

The answer is mostly a yes! Paypal app was recently added, so the only apps that I occasionally use that aren't there are Amex, and Square. Square CEO hinted at an upcoming WP app recently so I'm not that worried. Amex I can use on my iPad instead, no biggie, same goes for square too.

My biggest concern was my B.iCycle app that I use for tracking my bike rides. That is an awesome app. I had looked on the store and couldn't find it so I went to the app developer's webpage to leave them a message telling them to make the app for WP and I saw on the front page saying that it was now available on WP. Needless to say I flipped out!

Now I'm just going to see what the iPhone 5 has to offer to get me to stick around but I have a feeling that the camera of the 920 is going to be what finally makes me switch.....
Old 09-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by speedemon90
i have till december till i get a new phone, but its already narrowed down to a Nexus phone or the 920 (if its even offered on tmobile) otherwise its gonna be a nexus phone.
I don't think the 920 will be on t-mobile. It's an LTE phone, I don't think t-mobile has LTE yet. It'll definitely be on AT&T and probably Verizon too
Old 09-10-2012, 12:52 AM
Suzuka Master

I don't think the 920 will be on t-mobile. It's an LTE phone, I don't think t-mobile has LTE yet. It'll definitely be on AT&T and probably Verizon too
damn tmobile
Old 09-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Sanest Florida Man

It's all hands on deck at Microsoft right now: with a variety of high-visibility phone launches from partners scheduled before the end of the year, the company has not yet finished the Windows Phone 8 software, The Verge has learned.

Microsoft and Nokia's Lumia 920 announcement last week may have been a preemptive strike against Apple's iPhone 5, but both companies are now working overtime to ensure Windows Phone 8 launches on schedule. We're told by multiple sources that Microsoft had originally planned to launch Windows Phone 8 in early October, ahead of the launch of Windows 8. Microsoft is now targeting an October 29th software launch event with devices available throughout November, a slight delay to its original schedule.

Delays and bugs during testing have pushed back the launch, and associated devices, by weeks. We're told that HTC in particular has had a tough time testing one of its Windows Phone 8 devices, a process that has impacted its ability to announce handsets as early as Samsung and Nokia. Microsoft has been working closely with US carriers to ensure testing times are reduced. In some cases carriers may ship devices without any of the usual customizations, to reduce test times and ensure a November launch schedule remains likely. The tight schedule means that any delays in final carrier testing will impact the availability dates of Windows Phone 8 devices.

"SAMSUNG’S ANNOUNCEMENT OF A WP8 PHONE YESTERDAY WAS A NICE WARM-UP ACT FOR US." Microsoft is expected to sign off on a final version as early as this week, but it has instructed Samsung, Nokia, and HTC not to show off the operating system. Samsung originally revealed the first Windows Phone 8 device, but the company was not able to show the operating system on the handset. Discussing Samsung's reveal in an internal memo seen by The Verge, Nokia's Jo Harlow noted that it was "a nice warm-up act for us" ahead of the company's Lumia 920 and Lumia 820 launch. "Microsoft does not dictate when manufacturers announce their products," says Harlow, before noting that Samsung's device was "shown with static WP screens as the new OS is not yet available."

Nokia launched its latest Lumia devices last week, but members of the press were prevented from playing with the Windows Phone 8 operating system. We're told that this was mainly due to Microsoft's fears over unannounced features and the fact that some parts of the OS were unstable. Network operator EE announced its first 4G service for the UK today, backed with an exclusivity deal on the Lumia 920. Although devices were on display at the event, Nokia had to cover them in glass to prevent onlookers from playing with Windows Phone 8. The company has also been sending out dummy devices to members of the press in the UK.

NOVEMBER IS THE WINDOWS PHONE 8 MONTH, BUT IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN OCTOBER

Microsoft is tentatively aiming for a late October launch of Windows Phone 8, when we expect the company to reveal all of the remaining features like Kid's Corner and a new Rooms option. A Software Development Kit (SDK) preview is due on September 12th, and testing is underway at AT&T and Verizon for Samsung, HTC, and Nokia devices. If the testing goes smoothly then we expect to see Nokia's devices debut on November 2nd, with other handsets to be made available throughout November. It's not quite the October launch that Microsoft was aiming for, but the momentum of Windows 8 and a big advertising campaign planned for Surface will make up for the slip — as long as all parties involved can stick to the new schedule.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/11/33...delays-release
Old 09-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Suzuka Master

the HTC 8x looks really nice as well! And its gonna be coming out for tmobile! Now i dont only need to compare android phones
Old 09-19-2012, 02:48 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Yeah looks nice. Looks like they got a lot of inspiration from the Lumia phones
Old 09-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Suzuka Master

yea haha seriously

was there mention of LTE??

...wait tmobile doesnt even have that
Old 09-19-2012, 09:25 PM
Sanest Florida Man

no LTE....
Old 09-19-2012, 11:57 PM
Suzuka Master

haha doesnt matter for me... Hope they have HSPA+ though.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:14 AM
Suzuka Master

actually one thing that may stop me is that i'm far into the google ecosystem. I need all my google apps to be present in this WP8. They better have all the apps, then maybe i would switch. It really depends on the nexus phone for me. If its some wide ass phone that i can barely hold in one hand i just cant do it.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
AT&T announced Lumia 920 will be exclusive to them.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/04/n...20-820-atandt/
Old 10-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Sanest Florida Man

and in Cyan!

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 10-04-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:14 AM
Suzuka Master

they need to stop this exclusive shit...
Old 10-05-2012, 03:32 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
they need to stop this exclusive shit...
Yep, that should kill it. Stupid.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
I like the 920 except I think it's too big and too wide. I wish they made a 4" display version of it.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Yeah I'm gonna have to try it out to see if it's too big for me
Old 10-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Yep, that should kill it. Stupid.
i'm just whining because tmobile has been getting left out
Old 10-21-2012, 10:32 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Just pre-ordered the Cyan 920 at BB for $150. I'm gonna give it a shot, if don't like it or it's too big I'll take it back and probably get an iPhone 5.

Best Buy prices Lumia 920 at $149 and HTC 8X at $99, both available to pre-order on AT&T
Best Buy has started to accept pre-orders on Nokia's Lumia 920 and HTC's Windows Phone 8X today. We revealed earlier this month that the US retailer would start accepting pre-orders today, but the company has also unveiled pricing for both handsets. Nokia's Lumia 920 is priced at $149.99, with HTC's Windows Phone 8X set at $99.99.

Both handsets are available to pre-order immediately for AT&T, with no sign of a Verizon offering. Best Buy doesn't reveal when each handset will be made available, simply saying "will ship when available." Microsoft is due to hold a special Windows Phone 8 press event on October 29th, where the software maker will unveil the final parts to its new operating system and expected launch dates.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/21/3...r-att-best-buy
Old 10-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Just pre-ordered the Cyan 920 at BB for $150. I'm gonna give it a shot, if don't like it or it's too big I'll take it back and probably get an iPhone 5.

Best Buy prices Lumia 920 at $149 and HTC 8X at $99, both available to pre-order on AT&Thttp://www.theverge.com/2012/10/21/3...r-att-best-buy
I look forward to hearing your impressions.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Well the 920 is half the price of the iPhone 5 32gb so that's a big plus.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Suzuka Master

wow thats pretty cheap for a top of the line hardware w/upgrade.

Definitely looking forward to what you think about it.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:26 AM
Suzuka Master

so even without an event, google still managed to overshadow microsoft
Old 10-30-2012, 11:01 AM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
so even without an event, google still managed to overshadow microsoft
Lol. Sad but true. You barely saw anyone talk about Windows Phone 8 on the internet yesterday. It was Google then the Apple shakeup and Sandy all day.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:00 PM
Sanest Florida Man

This is my next: the HTC Windows Phone 8X

This is my next is a special feature where writers of The Verge sound off on their latest deep, dark desires from the world of technology.

I am a fan of stock software. So much so that when the rumors of a Nexus 4 built out of the LG Optimus G's parts reached the level of near-certainty, I forewarned my colleagues that I would be the one to write a TIMN ode to the latest and greatest Nexus.

As it turns out, I am indeed composing a love letter to stock software today, only to my eternal surprise I am doing so in Microsoft's OneNote. My review time with the HTC Windows Phone 8X extinguished the built-up anticipation for the incrementally improved Nexus and replaced it with a burning curiosity to explore the new Windows Phone OS. The more I used the 8X, the more I enjoyed using it.

Make no mistake about it, WP8 is a lot more than just a new homescreen — though even that change has a greater impact in practice than you might expect. Even today I am discovering new and unique features to this software, such as the ability to zoom in on anything on screen, not just images (screen magnifier, under ease of access).

AN ALL-NEW WINDOWS PHONE IS MORE INTERESTING TO ME THAN AN INCREMENTALLY IMPROVED ANDROID

I'm under no illusions about the choice I'm making here. I fully realize that I'm buying into a flawed device and a still immature ecosystem — the 8X leaves something to be desired in terms of ergonomics, and the best apps for WP are Microsoft's own cloud services — but when I look at the deluge of smartphones flooding my desk, the only one I care to pick up and play with today is the Windows Phone 8X. Not the new iPhone, not the quad-core Galaxy Note... not even Nokia's Lumia 920, which is almost trying too hard with its laundry list of extras and enhancements.

The 8X has the right size, look and feel for me. Somewhere in its stripped-down design lies the very soul of Windows Phone. Minimalist and utilitarian, yet still expressive and colorful — both the phone and its OS are immediately recognizable from their competitors. This distinctiveness gives the combined whole that is the 8X a certain understated swagger, that elusive je ne sais quoi.

Back when Chris Ziegler wrote of his intention to adopt the Lumia 900 as his primary phone, his desire was admirable but quixotic. Windows Phone 7.5 was only the budding of the ideas and concepts that Microsoft is bringing to maturity with WP8. Those single-size live tiles feel hopelessly archaic when compared to Windows Phone 8's homescreen. The deep OS integration that was then only available for Twitter has now been expanded to include Facebook, and the same will be true of Skype very soon. With Xbox Music already in place, and the excellent reboots of Outlook and SkyDrive over the summer, Microsoft now has a suite of first-party services to rival any other mobile OS.

THE MORE I USE THE 8X, THE MORE I ENJOY USING IT

It was around the time of the Nexus One that Android made the all-important leap from a scrappy underdog to a legitimate competitor to the iPhone. I started using Android devices for reasons beyond the professional need to be familiar with the software. It's my belief that Windows Phone is ready to get over that same hump now. Android's transition had its signature handset in the Nexus One and Microsoft and HTC have bestowed the same title on the 8X. For once, I agree with the marketing spiel — if you want the purest experience of Windows Phone 8, this is the phone to get.

Every Windows Phone review to date (and at least a few that have yet to be written) has identified the lack of quality apps as the platform's biggest downfall. Still, the conclusion I've come to is that I'd rather trust Microsoft to fix its apps problem than wait for Google and Apple to catch up in terms of simplicity and ease of use.

At least until the next Nexus.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/30/3...-8x/in/3336505
Old 10-30-2012, 04:43 PM
Suzuka Master

no doubt in my mind that windows phone 8 does seem really appealing to me. And it really does. Its just now that i'm kinda deeper into the google ecosystem, i'm missing out on more than just a different phone OS, and thats the main reason i'm holding back.

Not only that my paid apps are gone too
Old 11-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Sanest Florida Man

AT&T announced final pricing on the 920 and 820 of $99 and $49 respectively! That's crazy cheap! 32GB 920 is 3 times less than the iPhone 5! Release date is Nov 9th
Old 11-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
AT&T announced final pricing on the 920 and 820 of $99 and $49 respectively! That's crazy cheap! 32GB 920 is 3 times less than the iPhone 5! Release date is Nov 9th
Nice!! Hope that puts pressure on Verizon for their Win8 phone pricing... We shall see...
Old 11-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Race Director

More info: HTC 8X (16GB) $199.99, 8GB $99.99

http://app.tech.pentontech.com/e/es....a1a16a4348c35c
Old 11-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Race Director

And Verizon has released pricing on all but the Samsung Odyssey (HTC 8X $199.99, Lumina 822 $99.99), available by Thanksgiving:

http://www.slashgear.com/verizon-to-...iday-05255738/
Old 11-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Sanest Florida Man

I called BB and I should get the 920 at the $99 price when it ships.

Also Nokia is giving away free wireless chargers starting on Nov 16th! I'm not crazy about wireless charging but if it's free I'll take one to try out. It should work on any wireless charging phone that use the Qi standard.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Sanest Florida Man

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/959o3xx6XKc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quick Reply: Microsoft: Windows Phone News and Discussion Thread