Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Intel vs AMD

Old 11-04-2009, 09:07 PM

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,988 Posts
first PC i made myself was AMD, 2nd and current is a core 2 duo and i havent looked back since

looking to eventually make a i7 set up.

.... hm... after some thought, i just realized this computer is 3 years old. and it doesnt feel sluggish at all for being that old

Last edited by Mizouse; 11-04-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:23 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
I'm looking to do a i7 set up, not sure if I should do desktop or just get a laptop. If I could sell or trade my MBP, I'd just get a laptop.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,513 Likes on 6,374 Posts

http://www.intelsinsides.com/page/home.html
Old 11-06-2009, 08:55 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,139 Likes on 820 Posts
Email evidence

140. By April 2006, Dell’s relationship with Intel reached a breaking point. As Michael Dell wrote: “Intel – we overestimated both their ability to execute and our true competitive position with them and we underestimated AMD. And we relied too much on rebates from Intel.”

141. Dell was finally ready to act, despite the pressure and incentives from Intel. In an April 29 email to other top Dell executives, Michael Dell wrote: “We have been looking at the situation for a long time, and have decided to introduce a broad range of AMD based systems into our product line to provide the choice our customers are asking for.”

142. The reaction of Craig Barrett, Intel’s Board Chairman, was unequivocal: Dell should immediately be deprived of the payments it had long enjoyed in return for its willingness not to offer AMD products, and should start paying “list prices.” Barrett told Ottelini: “[T]hey have just signaled they are only interested in being a transaction based customer. I think you
should reply in kind. Not a time for weakness on our part. Stop writing checks immediately and put them back on list prices asap.” (Emphasis added).

143. The direction Otellini gave his subordinates the next day was consistent with Barrett’s advice. Intel should make clear to Dell that if Dell offered any AMD products all of the “mcp” payments Dell received from Intel would be at risk – just as Dell had always feared: “[W]e should be [pre]pared to remove all mcp and related programs. Post haste… then we ought to enter negotiations.”

181. In a September 2004 reply email, a senior HP executive emphatically vetoed the plan, because without the “Intel moneys … we do not make it financially”: “You can NOT use the commercial AMD line in the channel in any country, it must be done direct. If you do and we get caught (and we will) the Intel moneys (each month) is gone (they would terminate the deal). The risk is too high. Without the money we do not make it financially.”
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2009/11/...intels-emails/
Old 11-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Sanest Florida Man

WOW! Intel just agreed to pay AMD $1.25 billion to settle all Anti-Trust and IP legal disputes.

AMD and Intel Announce Settlement of All Antitrust and IP Disputes
SUNNYVALE/SANTA CLARA, Calif. --11/12/2009

Intel Corporation and Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) today announced a comprehensive agreement to end all outstanding legal disputes between the companies, including antitrust litigation and patent cross license disputes.

In a joint statement the two companies commented, "While the relationship between the two companies has been difficult in the past, this agreement ends the legal disputes and enables the companies to focus all of our efforts on product innovation and development."

Under terms of the agreement, AMD and Intel obtain patent rights from a new 5-year cross license agreement, Intel and AMD will give up any claims of breach from the previous license agreement, and Intel will pay AMD $1.25 billion. Intel has also agreed to abide by a set of business practice provisions. As a result, AMD will drop all pending litigation including the case in U.S. District Court in Delaware and two cases pending in Japan. AMD will also withdraw all of its regulatory complaints worldwide. The agreement will be made public in filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
About AMD

Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and technology partners to ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
About Intel

Intel (NASDAQ: INTC), the world leader in silicon innovation, develops technologies, products and initiatives to continually advance how people work and live. Additional information about Intel is available at www.intel.com/pressroom and blogs.intel.com.
http://hothardware.com/News/Intel-Pa...-IP-Disputes-/
Old 11-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Sanest Florida Man

I still think they're getting off light cause apparently a billion is nothing to intel judging by all the money they paid Dell each year let alone all the other OEMs they bribed.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Sanest Florida Man

This still won't drop the case from the New York Attorney General's office or will it, IDK.

AMD kinda sucks now but they have a chance in the future since everything seems to be going to integrated chips that have the CPU and GPU on one chip. This is something that AMD could excel at with it's expertise from ATi.

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 11-12-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My take on the situation...

Intel to AMD:
We're willing to spend a billion or so dollars to fight you. Can you afford to spend a billion to fight with us?

AMD to Intel:
Ummmm, no. We can't come up with anywhere near that much money to go to battle with you.

Intel to AMD:
How about we give you the billion and you agree to make all this go away?

So it was kind of like the Cold War. Intel wins by (the implied threat) of outspending AMD.

Last edited by Billiam; 11-12-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:37 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
True, but if AMD can get back to the way the were putting out CPU in the late 90's, early 00's. Then they will have the better chips again and Intel can't undermind them with bribes.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Sanest Florida Man

I got a quad core 3.0GHz AMD Phenom II 945 95w TDP CPU in the mail yesterday. Popped it into my AM2+ board yesterday (made sure I did the bios update before installation) and everything is up and running. That's what I love about AMD they're new chips are backwards compatible with there old boards. So my AM2+ board can take AM2, AM2+ and AM3 chips. Now of course you don't get all the new features (like DDR3) of an AM3 board on AM2+ board but the CPU works.