Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Hard Drive recommendations

Old 01-02-2004 | 08:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Hard Drive recommendations

My Hard drive is dead for the second time in less than 8 mths of owning my PC. The 1st one was a 120 gig Western Digital which lasted like 5-6 mths, and the replacement I was sent was a brand new identical unit which lasted about 4-5 mths.

I'm gonna hound these guys and give em hell if they try and send me another POS WD HD. No matter what Im gonna buy a backup drive; loosing all my info every few mths is a pain. I saw a Seagate 80gig for $50 at CompUSA, so Im gonna try and pick one of those up.

So what do you guys recommend? Maxtor, Hitachi, Seagate, something else? IDE or ATA?. Thanx in advance.
Old 01-02-2004 | 09:39 AM
10th Gear

I've been in the computer field for over 10 years. I've seen many HD's die. I would recommend Seagate, I've seen many WD's and Maxtors die within 2-3yrs of usage.
Old 01-02-2004 | 10:16 AM
Rock Star

ive had both maxtor and wd and have liked both if u go to compusa and buy the replacement plan when u buy the hd ull be covered for a few years..................
Old 01-02-2004 | 10:33 AM
Senior Moderator

i really like segate and maxtor. ive had good luck with them
Old 01-02-2004 | 10:53 AM
Racer

I just got a Samsung Spin Point 120 gig. Very fast and extremely quiet.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,113457,00.asp
Old 01-02-2004 | 11:18 AM
Life goes on.

Mr Hyde.

Sorry to hear about your data loss. It can cause headaches. While there are no perfect hard drives out there,this is what I have seen at my company. We have Maxtors, Western Digitals, Segate Drives. The majority of the drives are Maxtors and Western Digitals. While I have seen both Maxtors and Western Digital drives fail, failure of Maxtors seem to be higher than Western Digitals. As long as the failed drive is in warranty, Maxtor and Western Digital will honor the defective drive and send you another drive. The drive you receive will NOT be a brand new drive. It will look new, but in reality it is another refurbished drive( a drive that was defective, but has been repaired and gone through their quality assurance standards). One of these refurbished drives was installed on a computer and within two days it failed. I have read somewhere(sorry can't find it) where it ranked the drives. They are in descending order:

1.Western Digital.
2. IBM
3. Segate
4. Quantum and Maxtor ( Maxtor has acquired the hard drive division of Quantum)

The article warned to be cautious of drives made by Samsung and Fujitsu. Again, this is just an article, no flames please. Lesson learned : Back up all pertinent data. Many books say that one drive is better than the other and the drive manufacturer says that theirs is the best and etc etc. Proponents of each drive will say "this drive is better than this and that....etc etc." All these drives are now made internationally like Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia etc. I bought a Maxtor drive from Costco a year and half ago and on the acutal drive it said made in Japan. Another Maxtor drive at work said it was made in Singapore. So all the manufacturers are making drives globally in different countries and not specifically just one location. One can be lead to believe maybe a Maxtor drive or any other drive for that matter made in Japan , may be better than a drive made by the same company elsewhere. On the flipside, one can come to a conclusion maybe all drives are the same run of the mill these days no matter who makes it. Case in point Acuras built in Japan(RL,NSX, TSX), are they better built than Acuras built in America? The answer is up to each individual....
Old 01-02-2004 | 02:37 PM
Pro

Warranty is one thing. It won't last forever. Beside your data is more important than anything. It is priceless.

4-5 months per drive defintely isn't right. Don't forget to factor in other condition as well. The 2 main conditions are heat and how clean your power supply supplies power to your system/devices.
(It's like driving a car without changing oil and regular maintainance. Even the most reliable car won't last long.)

I have been using WD and Seagate drives for years now. In my current system, the back up/ junk drive (WD - 40gb) has been running for like 4 years and main primary drive (WD - 120gb) is about 2 years and still haven't had any bad sector just yet. I am running my system 12-16 hours a day at least.
Old 01-02-2004 | 08:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Bigmonkey70
Warranty is one thing. It won't last forever. Beside your data is more important than anything. It is priceless.

4-5 months per drive defintely isn't right. Don't forget to factor in other condition as well. The 2 main conditions are heat and how clean your power supply supplies power to your system/devices.
(It's like driving a car without changing oil and regular maintainance. Even the most reliable car won't last long.)

I have been using WD and Seagate drives for years now. In my current system, the back up/ junk drive (WD - 40gb) has been running for like 4 years and main primary drive (WD - 120gb) is about 2 years and still haven't had any bad sector just yet. I am running my system 12-16 hours a day at least.
Dude, i love ur signature. Do u have the script for that IP applet. I wud love to see it. U can PM me if u have it.

-Ash.
Old 01-03-2004 | 09:57 AM
Team Owner

Like BigMonkey said make sure you have a good power supply.

People put computers together using $20 power supplies and $50 hard drives and wonder why they don't last.

Think about it this way. You have this thing that is spinning atleast 7200rpm in your machine that was probably built for $15 since it is being sold to you for $50.

I use SCSI in my computer. The drives cost more but the drive in my machine would have also been used in a very expensive server.

IDE drives used to last a long time but with all the cut throat pricing most of them are built like crap now.
Old 01-03-2004 | 10:03 AM
Rock Star

doopstr.....u have a oint i have a 600 watt power sup..........and that alone cost me 100.00 but i knock on wood have been usin maxtors and w digi for the past 5 years and never a problem...........
Old 01-04-2004 | 01:06 AM
Banned

Try to buy your h/d online...they seem to have some good prices.