Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Apple: iPhone News and Discussion Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 10:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
I guess you've changed your mind...
Its cause he thinks apple is god, so anything they do must be right... at least thats what he comes off as.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:33 AM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
It looks "prettier" than android I guess...Features wise, it doesn't even come close to Android. I have a Galaxy S4 and typing this on an iMac plus I have a 64 iPod touch for the car so I'm not partial either way. But as far as smartphones go, if you want pretty and simple go Apple, if you want a great phone packed with features and customizability go with Google.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Ruby
It looks "prettier" than android I guess...Features wise, it doesn't even come close to Android. I have a Galaxy S4 and typing this on an iMac plus I have a 64 iPod touch for the car so I'm not partial either way. But as far as smartphones go, if you want pretty and simple go Apple, if you want a great phone packed with features, customizability and kind of works, go with Google.
Fify.

Every person that I have talked to that has an Android, has had one problem or another. Mail wont sync, Apps constantly shut down, etc etc.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:00 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
Yeah this won't lure me back from my Note 2. And they need till Fall?
Old 06-11-2013, 09:38 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,234 Likes on 823 Posts
Originally Posted by SwervinCL
Fify.

Every person that I have talked to that has an Android, has had one problem or another. Mail wont sync, Apps constantly shut down, etc etc.
I professionally fix this shit and Android is much, much buggier then IOS. If I want to customize and hack something, Ill install Linux of some shit somewhere. If I want to get my emails and use something that works, I use my Iphone.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:19 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
umm I would like you guys to see the "keynote" for ios and jellybean....

all the keynote for iOS7 says "we made it easier" or "we redefined something" or "we made it simpler"....where are the features? dont sell the same shit wrapped in a better envelope....actually I do not see any BIG innovation the iphone has gotten since Siri....that was something which made me go "hmm thats awesome"....

Android is a little buggy and since we want more customization options, more features, we root it and flash custom roms....no wonder it will have a lot more bugs, but it has a done more features....
Old 06-11-2013, 10:28 AM
Go Giants

Apple takes time to decide what is a passing fad instead of a keeper. There is really no features I see in Android that I need to keep.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:47 AM

^^^ really?

sorry am not trying to come across like an Android snob but trying doing this with Apple:

from personal experience....I get my travel booked and an email with the itinerary....Google NOW, automatically pulls up navigation to the airport with the shortest/best route how I have it configured....when I park, it pulls up my boarding pass from the email from the Airline....when I land, pulls up the rental car reservation and the weather and places to see/things to do around there....when I pick up the car, pulls up navigation to the hotel and again the route how you have it configured (I have it as quickest and no tolls)....when you get to the hotel, pulls up my reservation....

now sure when was the last time Apple did something like that....wait i know, NEVER LOL....

as I said, Siri was the last innovation from Apple....they changed the game with the smartphones back in 2007 but they always hold technology back....the original iphone had a camera but no video recording feature....recently the wife switched from Apple Iphone 4 to Galaxy S4 and it did take her a week to understand how things work and now she says "never going back to Apple"....I wish Steve Jobs could some how come back and save the company...
Old 06-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Currently Post-Acura

Received 125 Likes on 88 Posts
I decided to try out iOS 7 and after loading it onto my iPhone 5 all seems to work well (Note, I am not a developer. The package to install iOS 7 is all over the place online and for an update, UDID registration is not necessary). There were a few small hiccups, but nothing, IMO, unforgivable for a first beta release. I really like the new interface, as my iPad running 6.1.4 looks so old now. The new features such as Control Center and the Camera are very nice to use, and the redesigned apps such as weather, music, and videos are much-welcomed design improvements. I do use this phone as my only phone, so I will have to see if anything arises or what gets improved in further releases. But from reading the bugs thread on MacRumors, it's mostly third-party apps that are having issues. For me, really it's more inconsistencies with apps not updated for the OS using the older keyboard and status bar, and messages not scrolling to the bottom if you go to reply through the notification banner, if you really want to call that a big issue .
Old 06-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,420 Likes on 6,314 Posts
he just said save the company
Old 06-11-2013, 11:14 AM

you know what I meant

as I read about the Ios7 beta install...am still not reading any new innovations....all i read was design was welcoming, nice to use, friendly interface....
Old 06-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
This just seems like Apple is making a big deal about catching up at this point.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Old 06-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Tracing iOS 7's influences: Apple remixes almost everyone in the industry
A marriage of designs with something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue

Apple's latest iteration of its mobile operating system, iOS 7, introduces a number of long-awaited features. For everyone other than iPhone devotees, however, much of what Apple presented on stage looked eerily familiar.

The new interface, devoid of leather, felt, and stitching, invites comparisons with Microsoft's “Metro” UI found on Windows Phone and Windows 8. Apple has played a game of design catch-up to some extent, adding settings toggles, a simpler multitasking interface, and swiping gestures to its OS.

Pre-made innovation

Apart from a few remarkable examples, almost every concept in modern mobile UI has its origins elsewhere. Let's take a look at Apple's new multitasking menu. The simple icon-based multitasking is gone, replaced by a horizontally scrolling set of page previews. Immediate parallels can be drawn with Windows Phone’s multitasking menu, but the interface is also virtually identical to that introduced with the HTC One X and Sense 4. For anyone that's used a Palm Pre, though, the ancestry of modern multitasking is clear. Palm's highly innovative webOS introduced card-based multitasking to the world over four years ago, with horizontally scrolling preview panes that could be closed with a simple swipe away.

Visual similarities make Sense

Control Center serves as another prime example of how ideas are born, reused, and reworked constantly by mobile designers. Apple's new swipe-up menu gives you quick access to often-used functions like Airplane mode, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and a brightness control. LG and Samsung were among the first major manufacturers to implement swipe-down settings toggles, adding them to their Android skins a few years ago. Several iterations of Nokia's Symbian also featured settings toggles, as did Microsoft's Windows Mobile devices, and they've been available in Android as optional homescreen add-ons for a long time. Given their prevalence across other platforms, toggles have been a much-anticipated addition to Apple's mobile interface, so it should come as no surprise that jailbreakers have made such functionality available to them for years. SBSettings is a highly customizable menu that lets you add a number of settings to a swipe-down drawer. It predates Apple's Notification Center by years.

Both Control Center and the tweaked Notification Center also introduce transparency in a way never seen before in iOS. But again, anyone familiar with modern mobile interfaces won't be shocked by the implementation. Jailbreak apps like NBSettings, which has similar functionality to SBSettings, use Gaussian blur and transparency to overlay the menu above your content, just like Control Center. But the concept goes back a long way. WebOS was full of transparency — the app launcher even floated above your wallpaper in a translucent bubble.

Blur and transparency date back to Windows Vista.

For the first major use of blur and transparency in a consumer OS, you need only look at Windows Vista. The introduction of Aero Glass, which blurred background content in a strikingly similar way to iOS 7's overlays, came in 2005, although OS X had translucency in its dock since its introduction in 2000, and Apple has toyed with the concept a lot in its desktop software over the years.

Much of Apple's iOS refresh is simply a "modernization" of its age-old interface. Messages, Mail, Calendar, Notes, Reminders, and other pre-installed apps have been reworked with sparse interfaces, but in most cases the way the apps function is virtually identical. There are a few borrowed ideas even here, though: all of Apple's core apps support a swipe from the left to go back a step, replacing the old "back" button present in virtually every iOS app. Anyone familiar with Android will be used to swiping from the edge, but the idea was first popularized by Nokia with the company's MeeGo-powered N9 and its Swipe UI, and it is also featured in BlackBerry 10.

The issue isn't whether Apple stole, it's whether it did a good job of it
Such is the nature of software design; we could go through Apple's entire UI and pick apart the influences. Apple's new incoming call screen, which calls on users to "swipe to answer," is similar in function to Samsung’s TouchWiz, and looks just like Windows Phone 8. The playful "parallax" backgrounds, which shift when you move your phone, were demoed by now-BlackBerry-owned TAT in 2009. The Camera app now lets you take square pictures and apply filters — sound familiar? Speaking of the Camera app, that icon looks an awful lot like BlackBerry 10's. Aren't those "motion backgrounds," which feature circles and lots of soft bokeh, just like the wallpapers introduced by Google in Android Ice Cream Sandwich? The list goes on. But let's travel back to 1994, when Steve Jobs famously paraphrased Picasso, saying that "good artists copy, great artists steal." Taking concepts and interpreting them as your own is something all creatives do. It’s this interpretation and improvement of ideas that’s key. With iOS 7, the question isn't whether Apple's artists are copying or stealing good ideas — it’s whether they're doing a good job evolving them.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/11/44...ign-influences

I've been using iOS 7 for about seven months now on my Lumia 920, I think you guys are going to like it!
Old 06-11-2013, 12:57 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts

I've been using iOS 7 for about seven months now on my Lumia 920, I think you guys are going to like it!
Well aren't you just so fucking cool!
The following 3 users liked this post by jupitersolo:
#1 STUNNA (06-11-2013), Mizouse (06-11-2013), Whiskers (06-11-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 01:34 PM

Looks like he is LOL....

Apple is just being Ford....copying their way out....

the "control" panel you see, I have been using that on my Android since before ICS....even the notification bar on the Andoid has been "copied" by apple....guess Steve Jobs took all the innovation with him...
Old 06-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
Well aren't you just so fucking cool!

Yeah buddy!
The following users liked this post:
Mizouse (06-11-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Originally Posted by swoosh
Looks like he is LOL....

Apple is just being Ford....copying their way out....

the "control" panel you see, I have been using that on my Android since before ICS....even the notification bar on the Andoid has been "copied" by apple....guess Steve Jobs took all the innovation with him...
Well, have fun with your buggy fucking operating system. Great, your phone has been doing what apple just now does. Congratulations. And for what its worth.. I can get your precious Google Now on my iPhone, so that argument is invalid.

You are seriously off your rocker if you think that Android has led the innovation train. They have all stolen shit from one another. ALL of them.

With that said..... I remember a time when all you android fanboys would say "The biggest reason I would never get an iPhone is because it doesn't have a removable battery"... How many High End Android devices out there have a removable battery these days? Thought so...

Last edited by SwervinCL; 06-11-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:19 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
^far from buggy.

Android has widgets - the greatest thing ever. No need to jailbreak, no need to click twenty times to get some info, just unlock phone, all info that you need, like live traffic, is circulating right in front of your face.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:27 PM

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,988 Posts
Old 06-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
^far from buggy.

Android has widgets - the greatest thing ever. No need to jailbreak, no need to click twenty times to get some info, just unlock phone, all info that you need, like live traffic, is circulating right in front of your face.
Quit kidding yourself. "Far from buggy".. There is not one person that I know that hasn't had issues with their Android devices.. I've had 3 different iPhones and haven't had a single problem with one of them.

I'm far from an Apple Fanboy, but it just pisses me off when people come into an APPLE thread and shit it up with "Android is better, blah blah blah".. What I do find rather funny is that the Android fanbase is rather loud and obnoxious one with your "my phone has done that forever and is better" crap.

So excuse me for liking a phone that works.

I do wish that Apple had widgets.. But i'm sure they have a valid excuse as to why they don't.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Race Director

Blah blah blah blah... stop whining. My daily phone is an iPhone 5. Apple is pretty. Android is functional. I have Note 2. I have Note 10.1 I have iPads. I'm very familiar with both worlds.

Why I have an iPhone? Because I love the size, the ease of use and the phone quality built vs plastic Androids.

Last edited by TeknoKing; 06-11-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:51 PM

Well, have fun with your buggy fucking operating system. Great, your phone has been doing what apple just now does. Congratulations. And for what its worth.. I can get your precious Google Now on my iPhone, so that argument is invalid.

You are seriously off your rocker if you think that Android has led the innovation train. They have all stolen shit from one another. ALL of them.

With that said..... I remember a time when all you android fanboys would say "The biggest reason I would never get an iPhone is because it doesn't have a removable battery"... How many High End Android devices out there have a removable battery these days? Thought so...
umm first there is no need to getting all hyper and defensive....

you seem to me like a person who is limited by tunnel vision....there is a reason why apple is loosing market share in the smart phone business....

Apple changed the game in 2007....and nothing since then until Siri....with iphone5 all you got was panorama mode....seriously !!! you have had damn camera's for 4 years and all you give out is a little software update? not even an upgrade?

you can be happy with the Apple and the little breakable port/charger which Apple makes every 3 years to tell you "fuq u and your electronics"....I have a bose sound dock for the iphone which is now useless, unless I buy a 30 dollar adapter that breaks every so easily....
Old 06-11-2013, 03:20 PM

Here are a selection of changes noticed by folks in the MacRumors Forums and elsewhere.

Cellular Data Tracking by App - In Settings / Cellular, users can track cellular data usage on a per-app basis. Apps can have their cellular data access disabled individually as well.

Update Apps Manually - The App Store now updates apps automatically, but for users who prefer to handle things themselves, automatic updates can be disabled via a slider in Settings / iTunes & App Stores.

How to Get to Spotlight - Spotlight is now accessible from the home screen by swiping down from the middle of the screen. Additionally, in Settings / General / Spotlight Search, users can manually turn search result categories on and off, as well as change the order results are presented in.

Live Clock Icon - The clock icon provides the correct time, including a live second hand. The weather app does not update -- it is always partly cloudy.

Newsstand Has Permanent Icon - Newsstand's icon remains the same regardless of what publications are inside it. The app itself works similarly, though the design is substantially different. Newsstand can now be put inside a folder as well.

App Permission for Microphone Access - Apps are now required to ask permission to access the microphone, similar to how apps currently ask to access location data or the camera.

Multitasking Switcher Works in Landscape - The app switcher works in landscape mode. Double-tap the home button to access. Control Center can also be used in landscape. Apps can also be manually quit by swiping up, and multiple apps can be closed at the same time.

Skips in iTunes Radio - iTunes Radio listeners get 6 skips per station, regardless of if they are on the ad-supported or ad-free versions of the service. It is believed that the skips reset each hour.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
Blah blah blah blah... stop whining. My daily phone is an iPhone 5. Apple is pretty. Android is functional. I have Note 2. I have Note 10.1 I have iPads. I'm very familiar with both worlds.

Why I have an iPhone? Because I love the size, the ease of use and the phone quality built vs plastic Androids.
I'm not whining.. Just stating how I feel about Android and their fanboys. Kind of proved my point though.. I "defend" Apple and im whining.. If I went into the Android thread and got all fanboyish over Apple, i'd be called a sheep.

You whacky Android people.

Originally Posted by swoosh
umm first there is no need to getting all hyper and defensive....

you seem to me like a person who is limited by tunnel vision....there is a reason why apple is loosing market share in the smart phone business....

Apple changed the game in 2007....and nothing since then until Siri....with iphone5 all you got was panorama mode....seriously !!! you have had damn camera's for 4 years and all you give out is a little software update? not even an upgrade?

you can be happy with the Apple and the little breakable port/charger which Apple makes every 3 years to tell you "fuq u and your electronics"....I have a bose sound dock for the iphone which is now useless, unless I buy a 30 dollar adapter that breaks every so easily....
I hardly have tunnel vision.. I almost bought a Galaxy instead of my iPhone 3 and what did it for me was the lack of Exchange support on the galaxy (or so I was told by the ATT rep). I almost bought a G3 instead of my iPhone 5 until I heard about all the issues that friends of mine were having with the device.

Breakable port/Charger? Don't know what you are talking about.. Never had an issue with it.. Don't have any devices that I plug my phone into that would require me to replace anything or buy an adapter for. So that doesn't effect me either. You say that Android is the leader in innovation and that they come out with all these changes and then criticize Apple for changing the charging port.. LOL.. Ok. How is finding devices to plug your specific Android into working out for you? Again.. Thought so.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Just updated to iOS 7. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Race Director

^ You are doooooommmmeeeed! Let me know plz if the bluetooth will work in your car. When I upgraded to iOS 6 I've lost that functionality for half a year until an update... Thanks!
Old 06-11-2013, 04:15 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by cM3go
Just updated to iOS 7. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!
nice
Old 06-11-2013, 04:59 PM

so they do have live icons, just the weather one isnt live.. yet
Old 06-11-2013, 05:07 PM

I hardly have tunnel vision.. I almost bought a Galaxy instead of my iPhone 3 and what did it for me was the lack of Exchange support on the galaxy (or so I was told by the ATT rep). I almost bought a G3 instead of my iPhone 5 until I heard about all the issues that friends of mine were having with the device.

Breakable port/Charger? Don't know what you are talking about.. Never had an issue with it.. Don't have any devices that I plug my phone into that would require me to replace anything or buy an adapter for. So that doesn't effect me either. You say that Android is the leader in innovation and that they come out with all these changes and then criticize Apple for changing the charging port.. LOL.. Ok. How is finding devices to plug your specific Android into working out for you? Again.. Thought so.
not that tough at all....see that tunnel vision am talking about....

MicroUSB has been around for AGES !!! the same charger that charges the bluetooth adapter, charges electronic cigarettes, same adapter that charges Blackberrys and EVERY OTHER PHONE other than the iphone...

just because it doesnt affect you doesnt mean its not inconvenient....another example of your tunnel vision...I travel for work and every Marriott or Hilton or Crowne Plaza I have stayed at have an iphone dock, can you image the hit they got?

you have only heard of the devices having issues....do you have any first hand experience? have you owned another phone other than iphone?

if you are a mac guy, where you have a mac, an ipad, a tiny penis and an iphone....you should stick with iphone....

about Android having lack of Exchange support, its not a problem with the OS....Android is an open source system....apps have access to your email (like Google NOW) and some companies do not want any info to be "read" by an automated computer...hence they do not give out the access....I do not have exchange email on my Note but the wifey has exchange emails on her GS4....so companies are making a little switch as well...

I love the iphone, dont get me wrong....they led innovation back in 2007 by coming out with this phone...but their main goal was to make money and Google's main goal is to get as many user as they can on Android....

I like how Google Now has completely changed the way i travel and look at things...when i order something online and it sends me tracking info, google now will have the tracking info ready for me even without reading the mail....a smartphone should make life easy and not be "inviting"...
Old 06-11-2013, 05:10 PM

Old 06-11-2013, 09:28 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Yo, did he just say what I thought he said....
Old 06-11-2013, 09:40 PM

Old 06-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by Mizouse
so they do have live icons, just the weather one isnt live.. yet
They can't really do live icons well because their icons are small. It's not a big enough canvas to display any real meaningful amount of info.

On windows phone their smallest icons aren't live besides a badge with a number notification. Only the medium (which are about 1.5x the size if iOS icons) and large tiles provide enough space to display info. Medium tiles can show current temp, chance of rain, and cloud cover. Large tiles can show 5 day forecast.

This why the weather is in the notification center on iOS and it takes up the whole width of the screen.

If apple wants meaningful live icons they'll have to embrace widgets or something like live tiles which is a hybrid of widgets and icons... or just keep cramming shit into the notification center.

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 06-11-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Sanest Florida Man

That's some sig worthy shit right there...
Old 06-11-2013, 10:59 PM

They can't really do live icons well because their icons are small. It's not a big enough canvas to display any real meaningful amount of info.

On windows phone their smallest icons aren't live besides a badge with a number notification. Only the medium (which are about 1.5x the size if iOS icons) and large tiles provide enough space to display info. Medium tiles can show current temp, chance of rain, and cloud cover. Large tiles can show 5 day forecast.

This why the weather is in the notification center on iOS and it takes up the whole width of the screen.

If apple wants meaningful live icons they'll have to embrace widgets or something like live tiles which is a hybrid of widgets and icons... or just keep cramming shit into the notification center.
yea, but since they do have a "live" icon, its possible they could have widget or something else coming out later
Old 06-11-2013, 11:03 PM

i am kind of glad they did separate the control center and notification center.

otherwise it gets too cluttered, a few of my buddies android phones are like that. but meh. not really THAT big of a deal.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:23 PM
Sanest Florida Man

yea, but since they do have a "live" icon, its possible they could have widget or something else coming out later
They've had live icons since iPhone os 1, the calendar icon has always been live.

If they did widgets they'd look just like android.

iPhone reinvented the smartphone, android came along after and was able to build on what apple started and with widgets helped fix some of the problems inherent with iOS. Mainly the fact that you have to go into any app in order to see something, you can't just glance at your home screen and get vital info. Widgets and live tiles fix this issue apple created with their grid of icons.

IMO I think pride is what's keeping apple from embracing widgets, it would validate androids approach if they did so. I'm sure they're looking to find any other way to do what widgets/live tiles do without using those approaches. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:26 PM

they should do widgets thou, theyve had them for ages on OSX.

anyways yes i know the calendar icon is "live"

but its not live like what im reading about the clock app on iOS7 in that it shows the current time, including the second hand.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:28 PM
Sanest Florida Man

i am kind of glad they did separate the control center and notification center.

otherwise it gets too cluttered, a few of my buddies android phones are like that. but meh. not really THAT big of a deal.
I think those hidden settings when you swipe to the left on the multitasking bar was hard for most people to find. I had to go to one of my clients to show them how to setup airplay mirroring in their iPad, they'd never seen that little menu before..

Quick Reply: Apple: iPhone News and Discussion Thread