Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

anyone who is knowledgeable about Windows XP

Old 04-13-2003 | 06:13 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

From: Gainesville, Fl for college, Palm Beach Gardens, Fl at Home
anyone who is knowledgeable about Windows XP

Currently, i just received my Athlon XP 2400+ with 512MB of ram laptop with embedded wireless lan and Windows XP.

Problems:
1) Under my computer/properties shows its a 1.8ghz chip, supposed to be a 2.0ghz chip, says same with PCMARK 2002 and Systemworks 2002. Called compaq, and they said it shows 1.8 cuz the chip gets hot, and so it runs at a 1.8ghz until it needs the extra juice? Is this bs?

2) Same above except this time with RAM, it shows i have 447mb of ram and not 512. Why is this?

3) Got the wireless connection with my 802.11b linksys router to connect with the wireless embedded lan. However after about 2-3 minutes it disconnects me and then tells me to connect again, which works fine. But i get disconnected everytime! What do I do.

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-13-2003 | 06:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: anyone who is knowledgeable about Windows XP

Originally posted by Renegade
Currently, i just received my Athlon XP 2400+ with 512MB of ram laptop with embedded wireless lan and Windows XP.

Problems:
1) Under my computer/properties shows its a 1.8ghz chip, supposed to be a 2.0ghz chip, says same with PCMARK 2002 and Systemworks 2002. Called compaq, and they said it shows 1.8 cuz the chip gets hot, and so it runs at a 1.8ghz until it needs the extra juice? Is this bs?

2) Same above except this time with RAM, it shows i have 447mb of ram and not 512. Why is this?

3) Got the wireless connection with my 802.11b linksys router to connect with the wireless embedded lan. However after about 2-3 minutes it disconnects me and then tells me to connect again, which works fine. But i get disconnected everytime! What do I do.

Thanks for the help!
1) I don't know about the Athlon processors, but w/ XP and HP/Compaq systems (I have an M700) the processor speed will slow down if it is running off of battery power and the power management is set to 'Conservative' or something. When plugged into power, your processor speed should be at the recommended (which is probably going to be ~1.9 Ghz or something, XP may not show '2 Ghz' exactly because of the calculation, but should be about the same.

2) The RAM info seems to be a little incorrect, again I haven't played with the XP/Athlon CPQ's, but it could be using ~64mb or so for video memory but the number be given to you is only for memory available to the system (-) the video memory

3) So w/ the wireless it works and you are able to browse (get an IP address and everything), or not? The symptons you are describing basically is telling me the units see each other, but doe to WAP they are not connecting to each other (hence the offline/online sympton). Try turning off WAP and see if that fixes anything.
Old 04-13-2003 | 06:46 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

alrite ill try #3 and yes i do get an IP address and everything, the video is 64 megs so that makes sense, and ill try out the power conservation options. Thanks
Old 04-13-2003 | 07:58 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

ok, just turned off WEP on both computers, the laptop running XP and the desktop running Windows 98. The laptop couldnt find the network with WEP off, with it on it recognized it again, but disconnects every 5 minutes. It says my wireless embedded lan needs a WEP but i didnt stick anything in the network key box. Is that the problem, and what do i type in there.
Old 04-14-2003 | 02:51 AM
watch the weather change

From: Houston, TX - Uhhh, now what y'all know bout them Texas boys, Comin down in candied toys, smokin wee
can you check the event viewer and see if any errors are popping up at about the time it disconnects... its a longshot, but hopefully something might pop up.
Old 04-14-2003 | 04:39 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

nope, none of it worked. And yes they sent the wrong processor so i just still have problems with question #3. The desktop downstairs now will not go online after enabling WEP where as the desktop upstairs with the router and the laptop work. The laptop still disconnects every five minutes.