Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Anyone with an Intel Mac?

Old 03-15-2006 | 03:28 PM
Yeehaw

Anyone with an Intel Mac?

I've had my iMac core duo for a couple months now, its pretty awesome. I haven't really done all that much with it though.

If you've got one:

Any recommendations for games that run natively? I just picked up X-Plane 8, looking for a shooter though. Heard Doom3 runs real well...

Anyone used OpenOSX Wintel to run xp? ( http://openosx.com/wintel/ )

How about HD tv tuners? I'm thinking of ditching my cable box and running everything through an Elgato EYETV 500. Thoughts?

What do you use for DVD burning? I got Roxio Popcorn and everything works ok until I hit the red burn button...then nothing happens. Not sure if its an Intel issue (they put out update today) or what...haven't had time to really check into it.

Overall, how are you liking yours?
Old 03-15-2006 | 03:38 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Beet, I'm going to pick up a MacBook Pro pretty soon here.

XP has been haxored to run on Intel Macs natively, or so I've read today. So a few days from now, we should be hearing more.
Old 03-15-2006 | 03:46 PM
Pro

I should have my MacBook Pro tomorrow. Give me a week and I'll let you know what I think about it. I've never owned a Mac so give me time.
Old 03-15-2006 | 04:26 PM
Yeehaw

Nice. I'm in the market for a laptop also...probably going to wait for the intel iBook , since I really just need a light duty travel computer. Let me know what you guys think of the macbooks though.

Scrib, yeah I saw that XP vid running natively. That would be great if it works well, I could ditch my PC completely.
Old 03-15-2006 | 04:29 PM
Yeehaw

Originally Posted by MikeSwing
I should have my MacBook Pro tomorrow. Give me a week and I'll let you know what I think about it. I've never owned a Mac so give me time.

Other than a mini I had for less than a week, this is my first mac too. The learning curve is almost non existent, I felt at home on the mac within a couple hours.

Get familiar with spotlight and hotcorners
Old 03-15-2006 | 05:47 PM
Race Director

I have my MacDell
Old 03-15-2006 | 09:45 PM
Pro

I'm actually kinda nervous about learning how to use the thing and a new OS. I hope your right about it being only a couple of hours.
Old 03-15-2006 | 11:30 PM
giggity giggity giggity

I'm actually kinda nervous about learning how to use the thing and a new OS. I hope your right about it being only a couple of hours.
I don't think it will be a couple hours. Will take you a few days really. You will/should learn the keyboard shortcuts because they come in handy a lot. I have been using Macs for school for 2.5 years now doing all sorts of graphics stuff and it still took me a little while to really get used to my Powerbook.

Good luck and please give a review of the new Intel-powered laptop.
Old 03-16-2006 | 04:26 PM
Pro

Well, I got it this morning and its beautiful. Its retarded fast. I've seen other Macs with the stop watch icon go up when its 'working' but its only come on once when I first started it up. I have never seen web pages load up this fast and my wireless is only wireless B. My desktop is a Dell with a Pentium 4 HT at 3 Ghz and the Mac makes it look like crap. Either I need more than 512 megs Ram for my Dell or Core chips are really that damn good. I'll post more as I learn more about it.
Old 03-16-2006 | 04:38 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Well, I got it this morning and its beautiful. Its retarded fast. I've seen other Macs with the stop watch icon go up when its 'working' but its only come on once when I first started it up. I have never seen web pages load up this fast and my wireless is only wireless B. My desktop is a Dell with a Pentium 4 HT at 3 Ghz and the Mac makes it look like crap. Either I need more than 512 megs Ram for my Dell or Core chips are really that damn good. I'll post more as I learn more about it.

I was very impressed with the responsiveness of the laptop also... I need to get off my ass and order one.

I think I'm going to go with the 1.83GHZ and get an extra 1gig of RAM.
Old 03-16-2006 | 06:49 PM
Race Director

$30 off $300 coupon codes are on ebay for $2....they work online in all stores including the edu.