AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Technology (https://acurazine.com/forums/technology-16/)
-   -   Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread (https://acurazine.com/forums/technology-16/android-phone-news-discussion-thread-775979/)

DarkSithCL 06-22-2010 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by vas25tl (Post 12114987)
My buddy just got this phone and I had a chance to play with it last week during our road trip.

This thing is HUGE! The screen is amazing, some of the best pictures I've seen taken by a phone, the oS is okay compared to the Pre. I find the pre simpler to use but maybe because I'm just a lot more used to it.

I find it strange that HTC made such a Zack Morris phone in an environment where all phones are getting skinnier and slicker.

I was kind of excited for this to be a potential upgrade from the Pre but now I will have to wait. I just don't think I want to haul a Netbook sized phone around with me everywhere I go.

Big screen or die... I guess... LOL... my eyes are getting older... so, a larger screen would be welcome for me... :thumbsup:

vas25tl 06-22-2010 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL (Post 12115040)
Big screen or die... I guess... LOL... my eyes are getting older... so, a larger screen would be welcome for me... :thumbsup:

I just can't get over it. 4.3" screen is way too big. I'd have to sew on bigger pockets onto all my pants.

bigman 06-22-2010 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL (Post 12088044)
hmmmm...so youre the cool one!

....what did you have before the EVO?

...did they get the flash player fixed and hows the video conf call?

I had the G1, MyTouch, Touch Pro 2, HD2, The iphone was mixed in there somewhere, and now I have the EVO. The phone is nice, but i love Android. And i have to say, it doesn't matter what phone, Android is the shit.

DarkSithCL 06-22-2010 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by vas25tl (Post 12115059)
I just can't get over it. 4.3" screen is way too big. I'd have to sew on bigger pockets onto all my pants.

LOL...I must say the Pre has spoiled me into puttin it into my jeans pocket...and scrub top pocket... the latter is truly the test of size and weight...:tomato:

DarkSithCL 06-22-2010 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by bigman (Post 12115181)
I had the G1, MyTouch, Touch Pro 2, HD2, The iphone was mixed in there somewhere, and now I have the EVO. The phone is nice, but i love Android. And i have to say, it doesn't matter what phone, Android is the shit.

So, ur sold on the Android...and u have had more phones than most peeps I know... do u think its too big?

Doom878 06-22-2010 02:19 PM

I think it's safe to say that Android has more customization features than iOS. I hope Android catches up on apps as I'll consider one next year.

wrxyboy 06-24-2010 11:35 PM

my uncle was able to get an evo and after playing with it for the past week my fiance decided she wants one but i cant seem to find this phone anywhere. Even calling and asking the sales rep, they dont even know when they will be receiving the phone. Crazy on how long the waiting lists are. I wonder if HTC is doing this as a publicity stunt, it wouldnt surprise me if they are.

Yumcha 06-25-2010 10:08 AM

I really want this phone. Wish they'd have a release date for Canada. :bored:

Dr. Colorado 06-25-2010 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by wrxyboy (Post 12123272)
my uncle was able to get an evo and after playing with it for the past week my fiance decided she wants one but i cant seem to find this phone anywhere. Even calling and asking the sales rep, they dont even know when they will be receiving the phone. Crazy on how long the waiting lists are. I wonder if HTC is doing this as a publicity stunt, it wouldnt surprise me if they are.

Mang I have been on the wait list at the Ala Mo store for 4 weeks. F-ckers said the shipment was delayed. I called Pearl Kai and their waiting list is 200 peeps deep:what: I got my Pre the 2nd day it came out so IDK WTF is going on here.

Doom878 06-26-2010 09:14 AM

Because nobody cares about the pre like they do the evo. It's serious competition to the iPhone. If the evo was on AT&T I might've gotten it instead

wrxyboy 06-28-2010 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by surfer rick (Post 12124643)
Mang I have been on the wait list at the Ala Mo store for 4 weeks. F-ckers said the shipment was delayed. I called Pearl Kai and their waiting list is 200 peeps deep:what: I got my Pre the 2nd day it came out so IDK WTF is going on here.

I was told to watch the website and if they have the phone available to call in and upgrade through them. I am one of the 200 peeps on the wait list at Pearl Kai. But in all seriousness sprint needs to get there shit together and get this device out to everyone.

03Type--S 06-29-2010 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by surfer rick (Post 12101205)
So if I have the 69.99 plan plus the added total equipment protection and I'm getting the 23% discount is it even worth trying to weasel a cheaper plan? Total out the door is $67 including plan, total equipment protection, taxes, etc. I have another year on my contract anyhoo since I get my Pre 1 year ago so it's a somewhat moot point.

well, let me tell you about the total equipment protection plan, you pay $7 a month for the plan and then if you make a claim its a $50 deductable, so in two years time, ( the time to upgrade normally ) you pay $168 + the $50 is $218, not bad right? BUT they send you a refurbished aka used broken phone that has been repaired. right here i say u are throwing away money, might as well get by with the phone you have and wait for a upgrade if something happens to ur phone, ur old one will do just fine or argue for a early upgrade ( pretty much the cost of what you shell out for a used phone in the calculation ) the insurance is a rip off, keep in mind with the EVO, you pay $10 more, not much you are going to be able to argue unless ur contract is almost up, its a gamble with " retention " cancellation dept, they are more willing to " discount you " if u are out of contract as you have to pay the ETF to get out if in contract, you can only attempt to say well i can leave for such and such deal, also maybe you can get a contract renewal offer to sign again, i would be weary of doing that as ur best bet to deal with Sprint is when u are out of contract and really, you have options ..but i have the phone now, its amazing and the best phone Sprint has in my opinion ...sorry for the late reply, hope i helped some

03Type--S 06-29-2010 02:49 AM

also i thought i would give my take on the EVO, its a solid phone, it has a BIG screen, i like that, its not so big that it makes holding the phone to the ear a challenge, nice if you like web and texting, makes it all that much easier to use interface wise, clear and nice screen with web and texting, 7 home screens with easy set up to get where you want with a click of the finger, layout on homepage to customize the apps you want, a great variety of android applications to make the experience unique with much of what you probably seen with live wallpapers, free ringtones and music and great games for free in the android market, one downside i will say is flipping the screen from top to sideways takes a bit long to get it to switch, other than that, so far i have no other complaints, text screen takes a bit getting used to, there are TONS of apps of enjoyable free play time, phone is incredible and i dont see how anyone would be disappointed in this phone

Doom878 06-29-2010 08:14 AM

Another 4G phone coming for Sprint. Samsung Epic 4G

http://www.examiner.com/x-8134-SF-Ga...oid-Incredible

There's a comparo in there too with the EVO, iPhone4, and Droid X.

Dr. Colorado 06-29-2010 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by 03Type--S (Post 12132680)
well, let me tell you about the total equipment protection plan, you pay $7 a month for the plan and then if you make a claim its a $50 deductable, so in two years time, ( the time to upgrade normally ) you pay $168 + the $50 is $218, not bad right? BUT they send you a refurbished aka used broken phone that has been repaired. right here i say u are throwing away money, might as well get by with the phone you have and wait for a upgrade if something happens to ur phone, ur old one will do just fine or argue for a early upgrade ( pretty much the cost of what you shell out for a used phone in the calculation ) the insurance is a rip off, keep in mind with the EVO, you pay $10 more, not much you are going to be able to argue unless ur contract is almost up, its a gamble with " retention " cancellation dept, they are more willing to " discount you " if u are out of contract as you have to pay the ETF to get out if in contract, you can only attempt to say well i can leave for such and such deal, also maybe you can get a contract renewal offer to sign again, i would be weary of doing that as ur best bet to deal with Sprint is when u are out of contract and really, you have options ..but i have the phone now, its amazing and the best phone Sprint has in my opinion ...sorry for the late reply, hope i helped some

IDK man I replaced my Palm Treo 755 like 3 times and my Pre like 4 times so IMO it's paid for itself even if I'm getting a crap refurbished phone it's better than a phone that doesn't work at all:2cents: I mean serious malfunctions like inability to make calls, can't hear conversation, faulty headset jack, etc.

wrxyboy 06-29-2010 07:11 PM

^^^ are you upgrading your phone with a two year contract and receiving the $150 upgrade incentive? If so you should call sprint now and have them ship the phone to you. I just did for both lines on my account and estimated arrival is friday. :woot: screw the 200 waiting list :tomato:

mcflyguy24 06-29-2010 07:52 PM

Damn sprint is coming out with some freakin hot phones! I'm totally dumping AT&T as soon as my contract is up an gettin the EVO4 or the Samsung Epic. I'm so stoked on 4G it's not even funny.

Mizouse 06-29-2010 08:04 PM

WTF looking at this evo4g ad and it says it has a "8 0 megapixel camera" :rofl:

Dr. Colorado 06-29-2010 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by wrxyboy (Post 12134858)
^^^ are you upgrading your phone with a two year contract and receiving the $150 upgrade incentive? If so you should call sprint now and have them ship the phone to you. I just did for both lines on my account and estimated arrival is friday. :woot: screw the 200 waiting list :tomato:

Raja. I wanted to trade in my Pre for the $50 rebate. Can I still do that even though I don't get the Evo at the store itself? Also I've had my Pre 1 year so I believe I'm only eligible for $75 rebate.

Costco 06-29-2010 08:24 PM

Anyone have any insight on Sprint's coverage and 3G/4G speed in the Bay Area? I haven't had any problems with AT&T's coverage, though 3G has been absent when I'm in BFE way up in the mountains somewhere. But Sprint's rates are really competitive.....

edit: sounds like 4G isn't available yet in the SF Bay Area???

Dr. Colorado 06-29-2010 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mourning Would (Post 12135054)
Anyone have any insight on Sprint's coverage and 3G/4G speed in the Bay Area? I haven't had any problems with AT&T's coverage, though 3G has been absent when I'm in BFE way up in the mountains somewhere. But Sprint's rates are really competitive.....

WTF it's available in HI and not SF?

Costco 06-29-2010 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by surfer rick (Post 12135082)

Not sure if its unavailable or not, but from month-old articles I'm reading it says 4G isn't available in major metropolitan areas like SF and NY. I heard AT&T has 3G issues in SF though, so that could be why. Actually...... the few times I did have problems with AT&T 3G, it was mostly while I was in SF! :tomato:

Mizouse 06-29-2010 09:32 PM

I never have issue with 3G in SF :dunno:

Costco 06-29-2010 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mizouse (Post 12135220)
I never have issue with 3G in SF :dunno:

It works good most of the time, but I remember when I was in Japantown recently it was a little spotty. Took me forever to look up stuff on Yelp, whether I was outside or inside a building.

Dr. Colorado 06-29-2010 09:48 PM

Ordered my Evo online this afternoon with free shipping. After 100 mail in rebate comes out to $199 which is what I paid for my Pre. 3-5 business days until delivery. I ordered my Seidio case on Amazon. Once I activate my Evo, I will send my Pre to Sprint with free shipping and get $54 credit through it's buyback program. I normally give my old phones to my relatives but this POS Pre is quite thrashed LOL.

DarkSithCL 06-29-2010 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by surfer rick (Post 12135255)
Ordered my Evo online this afternoon with free shipping. After 100 mail in rebate comes out to $199 which is what I paid for my Pre. 3-5 business days until delivery. I ordered my Seidio case on Amazon. Once I activate my Evo, I will send my Pre to Sprint with free shipping and get $54 credit through it's buyback program. I normally give my old phones to my relatives but this POS Pre is quite thrashed LOL.

Oh man, Brotha, sounds like you went BIG! Now it sounds like your headed in the right direction!!!:thumbsup:

I guess the pre-order went totally side-ways... how weird!

DarkSithCL 06-29-2010 10:50 PM

Sorry y'all... I have been locked out of my account for days... have no idea why!
I am back to talkin phones again...

03Type--S 06-29-2010 11:17 PM

doesnt look like it, 3G is pretty quick on its own though, i would imagine that cali will have it soon, heck im in Utah, looks like they just added it, wasnt there a week ago or so

03Type--S 06-29-2010 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by surfer rick (Post 12134772)
IDK man I replaced my Palm Treo 755 like 3 times and my Pre like 4 times so IMO it's paid for itself even if I'm getting a crap refurbished phone it's better than a phone that doesn't work at all:2cents: I mean serious malfunctions like inability to make calls, can't hear conversation, faulty headset jack, etc.

well if you are going through phones that quick, i guess it works for some people, for me, i seem to have good luck with my phones, i have yet to have a problem with any of the 3 phones i have had with Sprint to this point, and if i do, i plan to use my old one and argue with Sprint to get a early upgrade renewal, also if you have a 69.99 plan, you can upgrade after only 1 year as you are a Sprint premier customer, I actually used to work for Sprint, so i know that a number of people have had problems with the refurbished phones, the insurance would be great if it replaced the phone with a brand new one, thats how it should be IMO, but if it works for you, im glad, i was just giving my :2cents: as to saving some money on what you pay, all in all, it isnt that much, but it adds up, but again, if you are going through phones as you have, it prob is good you have it

DarkSithCL 06-29-2010 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by 03Type--S (Post 12135477)
well if you are going through phones that quick, i guess it works for some people, for me, i seem to have good luck with my phones, i have yet to have a problem with any of the 3 phones i have had with Sprint to this point, and if i do, i plan to use my old one and argue with Sprint to get a early upgrade renewal, also if you have a 69.99 plan, you can upgrade after only 1 year as you are a Sprint premier customer, I actually used to work for Sprint, so i know that a number of people have had problems with the refurbished phones, the insurance would be great if it replaced the phone with a brand new one, thats how it should be IMO, but if it works for you, im glad, i was just giving my :2cents: as to saving some money on what you pay, all in all, it isnt that much, but it adds up, but again, if you are going through phones as you have, it prob is good you have it

LOL... I had 3 HTC TP1's and they were crap! They were so bad, that when I would take it in to the sprint store, they would send me a new one in new box... I have 3 of everything here at the house somewhere...:ugh: I am on my second Pre... its a refurb, but its cool sofar...:tongue: I had to replace my treo 650 ..3 times due to me droppin or crushin them... they are pretty "stiff" and unforgivin in falls...:yuck: 2 of those were new...the last, a refurb... I am just on the go so,so much... my phones have a better chance for danger! I think if I hadnt had the insurance, I woulda been messed up, since my phones were almost always a complete BRICK after I busted them... the TP's were just JUNK

wrxyboy 06-30-2010 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by surfer rick (Post 12135082)

Only available because we had 4g here for a while now. Clearwire was the first to bring 4g here about 2 years ago iirc. But oceanic cable has bought out clearwire and is offering 4g service. So oceanic owns the 4g market here.

Doom878 06-30-2010 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by mcflyguy24 (Post 12134961)
Damn sprint is coming out with some freakin hot phones! I'm totally dumping AT&T as soon as my contract is up an gettin the EVO4 or the Samsung Epic. I'm so stoked on 4G it's not even funny.

ATT is coming out with a few Android phones soon. The HTC Aria and the Samsung Galaxy S (can't remember ATT branded name) show a lot of promise.

I'd check sprintusers.com and maybe howardforums.com where there are tons of sprint users.

DarkSithCL 06-30-2010 09:52 AM

last night I was reading something sprint sent me abt the EVO... I think you can usee sprint.com/4g to check your 4g coverage area... Im gonna try it right now... will hollar back!

DarkSithCL 06-30-2010 09:57 AM

yup, that link works... looks like the SF area is a work in progress... they dont have an actual map for that market yet... there is about 70 to 75 % saturation in the Houston area...

DarkSithCL 06-30-2010 09:59 AM

list of comming cities and a way to get email updates on their progress...

http://sprint.p.delivery.net/m/p/nxt...anity:signup4g

Dr. Colorado 06-30-2010 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by 03Type--S (Post 12135477)

LOL the manager at my Sprint store felt bad with my Treo 755 so he just brought out a brand new one and opened the box in front of me. That 755 worked fine until I got my Pre. All I got for my Pre issues were refurbished phones though, they wouldn't hook a brotha up with a new Pre.

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL (Post 12135505)
LOL... I had 3 HTC TP1's and they were crap! They were so bad, that when I would take it in to the sprint store, they would send me a new one in new box... I have 3 of everything here at the house somewhere...:ugh: I am on my second Pre... its a refurb, but its cool sofar...:tongue: I had to replace my treo 650 ..3 times due to me droppin or crushin them... they are pretty "stiff" and unforgivin in falls...:yuck: 2 of those were new...the last, a refurb... I am just on the go so,so much... my phones have a better chance for danger! I think if I hadnt had the insurance, I woulda been messed up, since my phones were almost always a complete BRICK after I busted them... the TP's were just JUNK

Seriously, I find new and amazing ways to abuse my phones LOL. They are always flying out of my pocket since I have a gajillion keys, magnifying glass, pepper spray, etc. I have to encase my phones in body armor, I've shattered protective cases after dropping my phones on concrete, wood, ceramic tile, etc.:tomato:

Originally Posted by wrxyboy (Post 12135713)
Only available because we had 4g here for a while now. Clearwire was the first to bring 4g here about 2 years ago iirc. But oceanic cable has bought out clearwire and is offering 4g service. So oceanic owns the 4g market here.

Mang you think it's worth it to pay $$ extra and get use of the Evo as a mobile hot spot? I don't have the interweb at home but mostly that's so I'm not wasting my life playing MW2 online or glued to Tube8 LOL. I do have a netbook I use at work though so I could bring it home easily if I could surf through the Evo.

wrxyboy 06-30-2010 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by surfer rick (Post 12136993)

Mang you think it's worth it to pay $$ extra and get use of the Evo as a mobile hot spot? I don't have the interweb at home but mostly that's so I'm not wasting my life playing MW2 online or glued to Tube8 LOL. I do have a netbook I use at work though so I could bring it home easily if I could surf through the Evo.

Dont pay they already have a droid hack on using the evo as a hot spot for free iirc after reading through a forum. Once i get more info i will share how i did it. I was kinda pissed at the fact that you need to pay more for the hot spot :ugh:

mcflyguy24 06-30-2010 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by wrxyboy (Post 12137778)
Dont pay they already have a droid hack on using the evo as a hot spot for free iirc after reading through a forum. Once i get more info i will share how i did it. I was kinda pissed at the fact that you need to pay more for the hot spot :ugh:

Please do that. I would like to not pay $20/mo just to tether the phone if I get it. That's pretty silly.

mcflyguy24 06-30-2010 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Doom878 (Post 12135896)
ATT is coming out with a few Android phones soon. The HTC Aria and the Samsung Galaxy S (can't remember ATT branded name) show a lot of promise.

I'll check them out, but I am beginning to feel sold on the 4g thing already now that I see my city is covered. I still don't even have a smartphone at all, so this would be a huge step up from my sony walkman phone which was nice at first but has become a buggy pile of :turd:.

Doom878 07-01-2010 07:30 AM

The ATT 3.5G is pretty f'in fast. I'm reading about iPhone4's getting super high transfer rates. Don't let the marketing fool you. See how good both are in your area. Is your city near Philly or something because I don't foresee most of PA getting 4G anytime soon?

mcflyguy24 07-01-2010 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Doom878 (Post 12138851)
The ATT 3.5G is pretty f'in fast. I'm reading about iPhone4's getting super high transfer rates. Don't let the marketing fool you. See how good both are in your area. Is your city near Philly or something because I don't foresee most of PA getting 4G anytime soon?

Yep my city is covered and so is where I work. Amazingly Lancaster, Reading, and Harrisburg are already covered by 4G yet big cities like SF and NY still haven't got coverage. Most of greater Philadelphia is covered, but a few areas are still a bit patchy according to the sprint site.

Dr. Colorado 07-01-2010 06:22 PM

Just got my Evo this AM. Holy giant phone Batman:tomato: Sync'd effortlessly with my Gmail account. Just going to get familiar with it over the 4th of July weekend, should keep me plenty busy:thumbsup: 4G seems hella quick.

wrxyboy 07-01-2010 07:11 PM

^^^^ nice mines hasnt been delivered yet but thats because the ups guy knows what time to come, and not was his time on delivering the product when he knows no one is home. I should have mines soon.

Mizouse 07-01-2010 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Doom878 (Post 12138851)

this

with the iPhone 4 on AT&T, its getting comparable rates to 4G, at least right now.

DarkSithCL 07-02-2010 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by surfer rick (Post 12140700)
Just got my Evo this AM. Holy giant phone Batman:tomato: Sync'd effortlessly with my Gmail account. Just going to get familiar with it over the 4th of July weekend, should keep me plenty busy:thumbsup: 4G seems hella quick.

LOL.. after the small and elegant Pre screen, the EVO screen just jumps at ya...huh? :what: zoink!

Originally Posted by wrxyboy (Post 12140782)
^^^^ nice mines hasnt been delivered yet but thats because the ups guy knows what time to come, and not was his time on delivering the product when he knows no one is home. I should have mines soon.

...you got it good when the UPS dude knows ya! :pimp:

Really happy for yall... ENJOY!!!

:rave:

DarkSithCL 07-02-2010 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mizouse (Post 12141354)
this

with the iPhone 4 on AT&T, its getting comparable rates to 4G, at least right now.

How is the 4 as a actual phone? ...the 3 was kinda sketchy purely as a phone in some markets...

I am so glad ATT has optimized their data speed with this new phone! I bet they're keep the 4G crowd sweating...:toocool:

....competition is good for the consumer!!!

DarkSithCL 07-02-2010 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by mcflyguy24 (Post 12140525)
Yep my city is covered and so is where I work. Amazingly Lancaster, Reading, and Harrisburg are already covered by 4G yet big cities like SF and NY still haven't got coverage. Most of greater Philadelphia is covered, but a few areas are still a bit patchy according to the sprint site.

weird how they are putting this 4G thing together... :tongue:

DarkSithCL 07-02-2010 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by mcflyguy24 (Post 12137982)
I'll check them out, but I am beginning to feel sold on the 4g thing already now that I see my city is covered. I still don't even have a smartphone at all, so this would be a huge step up from my sony walkman phone which was nice at first but has become a buggy pile of :turd:.

When I re-read this I :rofl:

vas25tl 07-02-2010 10:39 AM

Rick, let us know how you like it in a few days in comparison to the Pre.

DarkSithCL 07-02-2010 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by vas25tl (Post 12142082)
Rick, let us know how you like it in a few days in comparison to the Pre.

Fo' shur!!! :thumbsup:

I have some very specific questions to ask you, my brotha...:toocool:

vas25tl 07-02-2010 02:58 PM

Like does it say too many cards open when one is open and I'm hoping the battery power is at least a little better....you'd think they'd fix that by now, Apple has done a phenomenal job.

wrxyboy 07-02-2010 03:25 PM

so far screen resolution on this evo is awesome it is a little upgrade from the tp2 but the size is big upgrade. I do have problems with sending text as the letters get mixed up when typing but i am looking for an app that will have a bigger keyboard display. 4g here is awesome. But battery life seems to be the issue now. I am looking for an app that will kill all the apps when closed out as this should help save some battery life. So far i am still learning this phone but in a few weeks i should be pretty comfortable to hack the android software and get things moving a little better. :thumbsup:

Dr. Colorado 07-02-2010 10:50 PM

I'm faded, been doing surgery all day. 3 day weekend FTW! Anyhoo, this phone is pretty damn sick. After going through the whole manual, the Evo is leaps ahead of the Pre IMO. First, there's not all the random glitches I experienced with the Pre like the screen freezing, buttons not working, the screen getting all loopy when I was using my finger to scroll.

Vas, I haven't figured out how to run multiple cards yet. If I'm texting, I can't tap on the icon to minimize it and then pull up the phone icon to make a voice call.

I loaded Epocrates for my pharmacopia and SplashID. So far so good. I loaded Pandora and am running trance, it is phenomenal without all the pauses I experienced with the Pre.

I was watching youtube last night and the 4G seemed to go in and out, not sure if this is a function of my home since I live in town. At work it's all 4G all the time.

The visual moving wallpaper is so tits, the home screen background is this bright green cosmic motif that moves like smoke. Feels like I'm dosing LOL.

The voice dialing function actually works! Click on the icon and say "Call Surf" and it dials up Surf News Network! It works for "Call Mom" but not for "Call Jeremiah" hehe instead I get prompts to "Call John Larry." Maybe I need to enunciate better?

Synced well with my gmail acount. I personalized news settings so I get the latest stories from USA Today and ESPN.

I really like the customizable home screens. The Evo offers 6 home screens that you can scroll from right to left so you can have your Agenda on one, Interweb on another, etc. I am only able to put 8 shortcuts on the lower 1/2 of the main home page since I have a big digital clock, date, and weather on the upper 1/2.

I like the Menu button and ^button, intuitive for different Apps. The Android market has a gazillion apps, it will take me weeks to sift through all of them.

I have big fingers so using the touchscreen QWERTY keyboard is a work in progress. The prompted word hints are far from accurate. I am also successful in putting dozens of fingerprints over the entire screen, I am uncertain whether using a screen protector will obviate this issue without compromising clarity but I am going straight to BestBuy to get a protective case as my Seidio case is not arriving until the 12th.

4G is noticeably faster than my Pre. Battery life is average considering how much I'm playing with this phone. I disabled GPS and WiFi.

The screen brightness automatically adjusts to the environmental light intensity. As you bring the phone towards your ear, a proximity sensor turns off the screen.

The volume of the ringer decreases when I pick up the phone.

The 8 MB camera is nice. Attaching photos to texts and emails is seamless.

Will update this thread as I gain familiarity with the Evo. I don't Facebook or Twitter or any of that crap so I can't comment on that functionality.

DarkSithCL 07-03-2010 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by wrxyboy (Post 12142831)
so far screen resolution on this evo is awesome it is a little upgrade from the tp2 but the size is big upgrade. I do have problems with sending text as the letters get mixed up when typing but i am looking for an app that will have a bigger keyboard display. 4g here is awesome. But battery life seems to be the issue now. I am looking for an app that will kill all the apps when closed out as this should help save some battery life. So far i am still learning this phone but in a few weeks i should be pretty comfortable to hack the android software and get things moving a little better. :thumbsup:

Hawaii is the bomb! yall are giving the best combo review so far... what rig did you have before the EVO?

Originally Posted by surfer rick (Post 12143723)
I'm faded, been doing surgery all day. 3 day weekend FTW! Anyhoo, this phone is pretty damn sick. After going through the whole manual, the Evo is leaps ahead of the Pre IMO. First, there's not all the random glitches I experienced with the Pre like the screen freezing, buttons not working, the screen getting all loopy when I was using my finger to scroll.

Vas, I haven't figured out how to run multiple cards yet. If I'm texting, I can't tap on the icon to minimize it and then pull up the phone icon to make a voice call.

I loaded Epocrates for my pharmacopia and SplashID. So far so good. I loaded Pandora and am running trance, it is phenomenal without all the pauses I experienced with the Pre.

I was watching youtube last night and the 4G seemed to go in and out, not sure if this is a function of my home since I live in town. At work it's all 4G all the time.

The visual moving wallpaper is so tits, the home screen background is this bright green cosmic motif that moves like smoke. Feels like I'm dosing LOL.

The voice dialing function actually works! Click on the icon and say "Call Surf" and it dials up Surf News Network! It works for "Call Mom" but not for "Call Jeremiah" hehe instead I get prompts to "Call John Larry." Maybe I need to enunciate better?

Synced well with my gmail acount. I personalized news settings so I get the latest stories from USA Today and ESPN.

I really like the customizable home screens. The Evo offers 6 home screens that you can scroll from right to left so you can have your Agenda on one, Interweb on another, etc. I am only able to put 8 shortcuts on the lower 1/2 of the main home page since I have a big digital clock, date, and weather on the upper 1/2.

I like the Menu button and ^button, intuitive for different Apps. The Android market has a gazillion apps, it will take me weeks to sift through all of them.

I have big fingers so using the touchscreen QWERTY keyboard is a work in progress. The prompted word hints are far from accurate. I am also successful in putting dozens of fingerprints over the entire screen, I am uncertain whether using a screen protector will obviate this issue without compromising clarity but I am going straight to BestBuy to get a protective case as my Seidio case is not arriving until the 12th.

4G is noticeably faster than my Pre. Battery life is average considering how much I'm playing with this phone. I disabled GPS and WiFi.

The screen brightness automatically adjusts to the environmental light intensity. As you bring the phone towards your ear, a proximity sensor turns off the screen.

The volume of the ringer decreases when I pick up the phone.

The 8 MB camera is nice. Attaching photos to texts and emails is seamless.

Will update this thread as I gain familiarity with the Evo. I don't Facebook or Twitter or any of that crap so I can't comment on that functionality.

Sick review Brotha! I have some questions for you, but I know ur tired and so am I... I will submit them tomorrow... Enjoy man! :thumbsup:

wrxyboy 07-03-2010 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL (Post 12143872)
Hawaii is the bomb! yall are giving the best combo review so far... what rig did you have before the EVO?

I came for a steady touch pro 2. I do miss the qwerty keyboard but it is a small sacrifice for the larger screen. I did read up on how to do free wifi teethering but as of this moment if you applied the over the air update it is impossible to do. Sprint did the update to block those that were taking advantage of the free wifi teethering. I did the update without knowing but it will be a short while before someone figures out a work around. Pandora is awesome, i also download a killer web browser called Skyfire (Slick Web browser), ScanLife (Scan bar codes to Android apps) and Shazam (Find out the name of a song playing). Battery lasted me all day but i didnt get to play with the phone much. I did leave the gps on and the wifi off. I am currently reading up on how to flash a faster rom which gets rid of all the bloat ware that sprint loads onto the phone. I did learn that because this is linux based system the os will only allocate the memory when a program needs it. So you can have multiple apps running and only those that are being used will use memory, the others will sit dormant until used. It was hard for me to get use to this, as a pc user i got use to closing apps to keep the memory load to a minimum.