Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

WORLD CHAMPS!!!!!!! GO SOX!

Old 10-28-2005, 02:13 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
For the first time getting a World Championship in 88 years...the ratings are pathetic.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
It is unfortunate...possible reasons: hour time delay for east coast (8-12 game vs 7-11), neither team has that nostalgic aura about them, or everyone knew the Sox were so awesome they would crush the Astros so there was no point in watching.

Mainly, I think it had to do with the teams involved. Local media didn't give a $hit...little blurps here and there...when they won, there was a header at the top of the front page: Sox Sweep Series, complete coverage on 1C (Sports)...complete coverage = 6 paragraphs and a picture. Now, if someone on the Braves so much as farts, it's all over the news here...we're 4+ hours from Atlanta...there's no reason for us to be up the Braves' @$$. Last year, Boston got huge coverage (front page when they won)...the Yankees got front page when they won...we're not even close to either of those cities. What's worse...our AAA team (the only baseball we have) is in the White Sox farm system...
Old 10-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,773 Likes on 13,967 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
For the first time getting a World Championship in 88 years...the ratings are pathetic.
Cuz, no one outside of Chicago (and more so the Southside) gives a fark about the White Sox...they lack the "sexiness" of the other marquee MLB teams...
Old 10-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Well, here's some humor from The Onion...

=======

Fox Asks White Sox To Play Yankees For 'Real World Championship'
October 27, 2005 | Onion Sports

HOUSTON, TX—In a historic development in the 2005 Major League Baseball postseason, Fox executives announced that the Chicago White Sox, who defeated the Houston Astros in four games after a 1-0 victory Wednesday, must now play the New York Yankees in the best-of-seven "Real World Series" beginning Saturday night at 8 p.m., in order to determine the actual world champion. "The White Sox must complete one final challenge before they may be crowned true champions," Fox president Peter Liguori announced over Minute Maid Park's PA system, interrupting the White Sox's celebration. "The Yankees are the keepers of the Real World Series trophy, and in order to win it, the White Sox must travel to New York and beat Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Randy Johnson, and the other formidable, marketable stars who await their arrival." Liguori added that, in the event that the White Sox decline the challenge, the Red Sox have been scheduled to stand in for them.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:29 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple of my friends who are Cubs fans now are now kind of wondering why the Cubs can't play more like a team and remove their egos. Also, they're wondering why Jim Henry doesn't make the moves to make the Cubs a winner.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:40 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by 1killercls
Too bad it had the lowest viewership EVAR!

good thing is, i don't care about viewership, I watched every game for the first time in my life

Some of the most intense baseball i've ever viewed as well. Had it been a boring NY vs Boston series, sure it would of gotten a ton of views, but big deal
Old 10-28-2005, 04:41 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by chill_dog
It is unfortunate...possible reasons: hour time delay for east coast (8-12 game vs 7-11), neither team has that nostalgic aura about them, or everyone knew the Sox were so awesome they would crush the Astros so there was no point in watching.

Mainly, I think it had to do with the teams involved. Local media didn't give a $hit...little blurps here and there...when they won, there was a header at the top of the front page: Sox Sweep Series, complete coverage on 1C (Sports)...complete coverage = 6 paragraphs and a picture. Now, if someone on the Braves so much as farts, it's all over the news here...we're 4+ hours from Atlanta...there's no reason for us to be up the Braves' @$$. Last year, Boston got huge coverage (front page when they won)...the Yankees got front page when they won...we're not even close to either of those cities. What's worse...our AAA team (the only baseball we have) is in the White Sox farm system...

well that, and weren't the majority of this years ratings the lowest ever? I know fan attendence was an all time high though
Old 10-28-2005, 04:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Couple of my friends who are Cubs fans now are now kind of wondering why the Cubs can't play more like a team and remove their egos. Also, they're wondering why Jim Henry doesn't make the moves to make the Cubs a winner.
Hendry did try as far as I'm concerned...but, Sosa's contract pretty much cursed them this year. And then there's the problem with Kerry Wood and Mark Prior. Those two have glass arms and until they can put together a full season, the Cubs will continue to suck...and the bullpen? It's a disgrace.

Then, the other problem is they have no center fielder...Patterson's overrated and is beyond bad as a leadoff man. So, the Cubs never have any table-setters a la Pods of the ChiSox. So, there you have it...and oh yeah, their defense is not that much to write home about.

So, Hendry has alot to do...I don't think it's from a lack of trying though as he has done his job in signing the free agents and stuff...but, alot have backfired...and then as I've said, the curse of Sosa kinda put a cap on what they could've spent last season...
Old 10-28-2005, 04:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,255 Likes on 5,219 Posts
h8 away.. there is only one World Series.. and atm it belongs to the Chi White Sox...
Old 10-28-2005, 05:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Wow!

According to Chicago city management...between 1.75 to 2 MILLION people came out to honor the Sox today.

I wasn't down there (I work in the burbs), but for a medical commitment. But I did see the parade, and it looked jam packed!

Thank you, my White Sox.

I've been a fan for 44 years!
Old 10-28-2005, 06:57 PM
Race Director

Did you hear Konerko say that he wants to prove people, probably all the people who doubted them and try to repeat next yr.

I've always wondered since Indiana doesn't have a mlb team, guess a lot are White Sox fans?
Old 10-28-2005, 07:27 PM
101 years of heartache...

about the Cubs comment;

I'm only 18 years old, but am set in stone as a die-hard, with my team every step of the way Cubs fan. This year, i gained a ton of respect for the Sox and the good bunch of their fans, and kept my bitter hate for the trolls of their fans.

Set aside, I also jumped to say that God hates Cubs fans

but looking back now, i see a team that took its luck, and followed through on it. bad call at the plate? GW 2B by Crede. Poor call on a 3-2 pitch to Dye? GS from Konerko. Solid small ball fundamentals and 2003 Cubs-like pitching, this is how they won.

That having been said, the Cubs had their shot in 2003. Bartman, an error on SS Alex Gonzalez, a shattered momentum, and quality hitting from the Marlins messed all that up. In 2004, the Cubs lost complete focus. In 2005, Sammy's large chunk of change and a huge amount of injuries messed everything up.

Next year doesnt look too good either. Keep in mind, the Sox played in the worst division in the league for 80% of the season The Cubs played against 2 NL Champs, and a decent Milwaukee club (granted they OWNED the Cards and Astros).

I dont have an explanation as to whats going on. this team deserved to win in 2003, i will argue that forever. but for now, all i know is that 2003, 4, and 5 brought heartbreak in different forms. In theory they'll win it in 2006, but mark this post, they will not. The Cubs need to rebuild on the basis of modern baseball, which incompasses a new breed of style;

pitching, defense, and speed on top of cleaning up the baserunners on board.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
you realize that there are cub fans that are equally as trollish as some of the sox fans you talk about.... anyways, you're whining is getting annoying and I'm not even bored enough to turn this into a sox vs. cubs thread. (and fyi, I'm a fan of both, but been to more cubs games then sox). /rant.

Originally Posted by gocubsgo55
about the Cubs comment;

I'm only 18 years old, but am set in stone as a die-hard, with my team every step of the way Cubs fan. This year, i gained a ton of respect for the Sox and the good bunch of their fans, and kept my bitter hate for the trolls of their fans.

Set aside, I also jumped to say that God hates Cubs fans

but looking back now, i see a team that took its luck, and followed through on it. bad call at the plate? GW 2B by Crede. Poor call on a 3-2 pitch to Dye? GS from Konerko. Solid small ball fundamentals and 2003 Cubs-like pitching, this is how they won.

That having been said, the Cubs had their shot in 2003. Bartman, an error on SS Alex Gonzalez, a shattered momentum, and quality hitting from the Marlins messed all that up. In 2004, the Cubs lost complete focus. In 2005, Sammy's large chunk of change and a huge amount of injuries messed everything up.

Next year doesnt look too good either. Keep in mind, the Sox played in the worst division in the league for 80% of the season The Cubs played against 2 NL Champs, and a decent Milwaukee club (granted they OWNED the Cards and Astros).

I dont have an explanation as to whats going on. this team deserved to win in 2003, i will argue that forever. but for now, all i know is that 2003, 4, and 5 brought heartbreak in different forms. In theory they'll win it in 2006, but mark this post, they will not. The Cubs need to rebuild on the basis of modern baseball, which incompasses a new breed of style;

pitching, defense, and speed on top of cleaning up the baserunners on board.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:56 PM
Race Director

all i want to know is when is the Sox championship video coming out on DVD you think?

i remember i watched all the bulls championship videos when they came out.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:10 AM
101 years of heartache...

Originally Posted by synth19
you realize that there are cub fans that are equally as trollish as some of the sox fans you talk about.... anyways, you're whining is getting annoying and I'm not even bored enough to turn this into a sox vs. cubs thread. (and fyi, I'm a fan of both, but been to more cubs games then sox). /rant.

im not ranting/whining, just answering a question.

and for the record, sociologists live for this stuff; studying variations in a given population. Chicago is special in that it has 2 very unique, very different "sides". each has a stereotype, which has been commonly reflected in its fans. just my opinion, im not bitching or anything

:edit; sorry i should have quoted yumcha's comment prior to this one. this was an attempt at answering that:
Old 10-29-2005, 02:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,255 Likes on 5,219 Posts