Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

Why do people like NASCAR?

Old 12-17-2006, 09:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Why do people like NASCAR?

Can someone explain what's so entertaining about it? It's popular as hell in the US (not around here thank God), but I mean...they just drive in fucking circles.

I never understood what would possess someone to sit n watch cars drive in circles for hours...
Old 12-17-2006, 09:10 PM
Who am I?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Becuz Dem Cars Is Fast Maing!!!!
Old 12-17-2006, 09:17 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Because it is considered a family event sport. You say that it isn't popular in NJ, I say you're wrong, Nascar if followed by more people than the NFL is.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:20 PM
Go B's Go

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo
Because it is considered a family event sport. You say that it isn't popular in NJ, I say you're wrong, Nascar if followed by more people than the NFL is.
Most NASCAR fans are in the south, he's just saying its not popular in NJ.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Because it is considered a family event sport. You say that it isn't popular in NJ, I say you're wrong
I say you're stupid.

Nascar if followed by more people than the NFL is.
False.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CUNextTuesday
Can someone explain what's so entertaining about it? It's popular as hell in the US (not around here thank God), but I mean...they just drive in fucking circles.

I never understood what would possess someone to sit n watch cars drive in circles for hours...
I love it when someone breaks a sport down to it's basic element and questions why anyone would want to watch it. You can say the same thing about every sport.

Let's see:
Baseball - watch men throw ball, catch ball, run
Football - watch men throw ball, catch ball, run, tackle and huddle up
Golf- watch men hit ball and go chase it
Soccer - watch men kick ball back and forth
Basketball - watch men run up and down court throwing ball into a circle
Hockey - watch men skate around a rink chasing a puck

Why the hell would anyone want to watch something like that?

Look, you don't like Nascar and that's fine. You don't understand why people watch it because you don't understand the strategy involved. It's the same reason why many people don't like hockey and soccer. They don't want to learn the sport before passing judgement on it.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:41 PM
Cause stock sux.

Look at the crowd that likes NASCAR. Is it really so hard to believe that watching a car go around in circles is better than a day sitting on the porch roasting squirrels?
Old 12-17-2006, 09:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the crashes... Duh!

Mike
Old 12-17-2006, 09:46 PM
1999 CL3.0

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
good question.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TLinSA
I love it when someone breaks a sport down to it's basic element and questions why anyone would want to watch it. You can say the same thing about every sport.

Let's see:
Baseball - watch men throw ball, catch ball, run
Football - watch men throw ball, catch ball, run, tackle and huddle up
Golf- watch men hit ball and go chase it
Soccer - watch men kick ball back and forth
Basketball - watch men run up and down court throwing ball into a circle
Hockey - watch men skate around a rink chasing a puck

Why the hell would anyone want to watch something like that?

Look, you don't like Nascar and that's fine. You don't understand why people watch it because you don't understand the strategy involved. It's the same reason why many people don't like hockey and soccer. They don't want to learn the sport before passing judgement on it.
Ok, no. I'm ASKING, what's interesting about it? The strategy? It's just so long and drawn out...they literally drive in circles for hours.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,143 Posts
Ok, no. I'm ASKING, what's interesting about it? The strategy? It's just so long and drawn out...they literally drive in circles for hours.
Show up at a track with a few of your buddies and case of beer. Then after the race try and say you didn't have a good time.

By the time the race is over you should have yourself a very nice red neck.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:54 PM
Go B's Go

Originally Posted by doopstr
Show up at a track with a few of your buddies and case of beer. Then after the race try and say you didn't have a good time.

By the time the race is over you should have yourself a very nice red neck.
Thats what I've heard people say...and I definitely believe it.

A friend of my dad said he was going to take us to the Bristol night race one year...the waiting list for that is years and years.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:07 PM
Instructor

Re: Nascar

You say that like they are taking a leisurely Sunday afternoon stoll. Go to a race and get some perspective about the speed at which they are driving in those circles, sometimes 2 and 3 cars wide.

Yes, the strategy involved and the point structure make it an interesting sport. For example, if you had a favorite driver who was having a particularly bad day and was running in the 30th position, you could still be interested in that race to see if maybe he could turn things around and finish in the top 20 to maximize his season point total in hopes of making it into The Chase (basically a 10 race playoff system). In contrast, your favorite football team has a bad day, they go out and get their ass kicked and you turn the game off at halftime.

Additionally, you have stratagies such as car set up, track position, pit stops, etc that also make it interesting other than just watching them drive around.

You get to see some cool wrecks as well.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:10 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
The same reason why some people like Pabst Blue Ribbon and non-filtered cigarettes
Old 12-17-2006, 10:16 PM
Cause stock sux.

F1, Road Course, Rally Racing > NASCAR
Old 12-17-2006, 10:17 PM
Suzuka Master

You say that like they are taking a leisurely Sunday afternoon stoll. Go to a race and get some perspective about the speed at which they are driving in those circles, sometimes 2 and 3 cars wide.

Yes, the strategy involved and the point structure make it an interesting sport. For example, if you had a favorite driver who was having a particularly bad day and was running in the 30th position, you could still be interested in that race to see if maybe he could turn things around and finish in the top 20 to maximize his season point total in hopes of making it into The Chase (basically a 10 race playoff system). In contrast, your favorite football team has a bad day, they go out and get their ass kicked and you turn the game off at halftime.

Additionally, you have stratagies such as car set up, track position, pit stops, etc that also make it interesting other than just watching them drive around.

You get to see some cool wrecks as well.
You make it sound interesting, but I've watched it for like 5 minutes before on TV and it's just...blah. Maybe you really have to be there in person to appreciate it?
Old 12-17-2006, 10:21 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
I say you're stupid.
Grow up little one, you sound like a school kid. I can't find the story on Nascar over the NFL. But if Nascar isn't that popular in New Jersey, why is the State Senate going to vote on putting a Nascar track in the state.

http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html...icle&sid=45428
Old 12-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Got Rice?
F1, Road Course, Rally Racing > NASCAR
I agree, I think it's more interesting - which is why I wonder why NASCAR is so damn popular...
Old 12-17-2006, 10:26 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm a huge F1 fan, I don't watch Nascar.

However, I don't think Nascar is boring nor lacking in skill.

There's more action in your average Nascar race than your average F1 race. It's no surprise that one of the most action packed F1 races utilizes 1/4 of a Nascar oval.

Like any sport, you really can't appreciate it by watching a few minutes of it on TV if you don't understand it.

Like others have said, you will find Nascar fun if you go to a race. By contrast, F1, a sport which I love is an absolute snore to watch in person. Really, I've nearly fallen asleep at F1 races. Other then a headache, you get very little out of the actual race in person, IMO.

Shit, if you ask me... Baseball & Basketball are the two most boring things a man could waste his time on. Yet millions would disagree with me.

Point is, it's all relative. It's just ignorant to knock it because you don't understand it.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Grow up little one, you sound like a school kid. I can't find the story on Nascar over the NFL. But if Nascar isn't that popular in New Jersey, why is the State Senate going to vote on putting a Nascar track in the state.

http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html...icle&sid=45428
The link says that it's a rumor...how, exactly, does that say anything about the popularity of NASCAR in Jersey? Doesn't matter anyway...I've lived here almost all of my life and trust me, it's not popular in Jersey.

And there's no way NASCAR is more popular than football in this country. I do think it may be the second most popular sport though. I guess it might also depend how you measure popularity...
Old 12-17-2006, 10:30 PM

i dont care for nascar either - but def takes skill to drive that fast n be aware of the surroundings, cars, etc. id never fuckin try that...

but ppl can dislike any sport, just a matter of willing to understand what it takes to prepare n play each sport.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by soopa
However, I don't think Nascar is boring nor lacking in skill.
I know enough about it to know it takes tremendous skill.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:31 PM
The Creator

The link says that it's a rumor...how, exactly, does that say anything about the popularity of NASCAR in Jersey? Doesn't matter anyway...I've lived here almost all of my life and trust me, it's not popular in Jersey.

And there's no way NASCAR is more popular than football in this country. I do think it may be the second most popular sport though. I guess it might also depend how you measure popularity...
Nascar is incredibly popular in NY/NJ. Not quite so much as football, no, but it's a damn popular sport.

Just because it's not popular in YOUR circles doesn't mean it's not popular with millions of other people who live in the same state as you.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:32 PM
Instructor

Nascar isn't for everyone. I didn't start watching until last year and I went to my first race in November. My brother was a big fan and I'd tell all the stereotypical Nascar jokes to him. He doesn't like soccer. I told him he probably didn't understand the sport. He agreed and then told me that I didn't understand Nascar. I started watching and learning about the sport to see if I would actually enjoy it or not. After understanding what everyone was trying to accomplish other than trying to finish first, it grew on me.

I went to my first race and I was surprised to actually see the speed of the cars. I had butterflies in my stomach the first time they came hauling ass down the backstrech at about 190 MPH and then making the turns in the 3rd and 4th corner at 140 MPH, 2 cars wide. Couple that with the sound of the engines, the roar of 200,000 fans, the smell of the engines and tires, and the fact that you could bring in your own beer and food. It was awesome and I can't wait to go back next year.

It's just like being at a football game and actually seeing the speed of the players and realizing that what seems like a normal tackle on TV is really a hard ass hit.

I remember watching a Bulls game on the first row and the first time Michael Jordan touched the ball he immediately drove baseline for a dunk. I understood what they meant by having a quick first step. It's hard to see speed on TV.

If you never give Nascar a legitimate shot then you'll never like it. Try it and you may.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:33 PM
The Creator

Originally Posted by sonnyg80
but ppl can dislike any sport, just a matter of willing to understand what it takes to prepare n play each sport.

Once you understand it, any sport can be enjoyable.

When you're ignorant to it, it's boring.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:34 PM
The Creator

Nascar isn't for everyone. I didn't start watching until last year and I went to my first race in November. My brother was a big fan and I'd tell all the stereotypical Nascar jokes to him. He doesn't like soccer. I told him he probably didn't understand the sport. He agreed and then told me that I didn't understand Nascar. I started watching and learning about the sport to see if I would actually enjoy it or not. After understanding what everyone was trying to accomplish other than trying to finish first, it grew on me.

I went to my first race and I was surprised to actually see the speed of the cars. I had butterflies in my stomach the first time they came hauling ass down the backstrech at about 190 MPH and then making the turns in the 3rd and 4th corner at 140 MPH, 2 cars wide. Couple that with the sound of the engines, the roar of 200,000 fans, the smell of the engines and tires, and the fact that you could bring in your own beer and food. It was awesome and I can't wait to go back next year.

It's just like being at a football game and actually seeing the speed of the players and realizing that what seems like a normal tackle on TV is really a hard ass hit.

I remember watching a Bulls game on the first row and the first time Michael Jordan touched the ball he immediately drove baseline for a dunk. I understood what they meant by having a quick first step. It's hard to see speed on TV.

If you never give Nascar a legitimate shot then you'll never like it. Try it and you may.
Well said.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Nascar is incredibly popular in NY/NJ. Not quite so much as football, no, but it's a damn popular sport.

Just because it's not popular in YOUR circles doesn't mean it's not popular with millions of other people who live in the same state as you.
Relative to other sports, no, it's not that popular around here...

and definitely not nearly as popular as it is down south, so I don't really consider it to be a popular sport around here.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:38 PM
o-qua tangin wann

i think i might watch it now

xD
Old 12-17-2006, 10:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Well I guess I'll have to go see it live some day...

Random thought - I think hits in football look harder on TV than live (unless you're on the field)
Old 12-17-2006, 10:41 PM
The Creator

Relative to other sports, no, it's not that popular around here...

and definitely not nearly as popular as it is down south, so I don't really consider it to be a popular sport around here.
Is "around here" just your parents $1,000,000+ neighborhood in Bergen County?

You do realize NJ is a large state with almost 10 million people, right? You can't possibly think you speak for all of them.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:43 PM
06 GBM AT TSX + 35% TINT

You just need to watch Talladega Nights it will give you THE ANSWER
Old 12-17-2006, 10:45 PM
The Creator

Originally Posted by gtg710w
You just need to watch Talladega Nights it will give you THE ANSWER
Shake 'n' Bake Baby!
Old 12-17-2006, 10:47 PM
o-qua tangin wann

You do realize NJ is a large state with almost 10 million people, right? You can't possibly think you speak for all of them.

no no, i think he means all of north jersey

southern jersey may as well break off float away
Old 12-17-2006, 10:49 PM
The Creator

Originally Posted by bigblazinboot
no no, i think he means all of north jersey

southern jersey may as well break off float away

It's just like all the people in NYC who forget that they're just the tip of the iceberg in this massive state.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Nah I live in Morris County...close though!

Are you really trying to tell me that NASCAR is even close to as popular in Jersey as it is in the south?
Old 12-17-2006, 10:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I thought the same thing about NASCAR until I started watching it with an ex-g/f. Now I'm a closet fan. BTW, NASCAR looks awesome on HD. I usually switch back and forth between the race and any football that might be on.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:02 PM
The Creator

Nah I live in Morris County...close though!
Figures.

Are you really trying to tell me that NASCAR is even close to as popular in Jersey as it is in the south?
Huh? Who said that?

You said "Nascar is not popular in New Jersey", I say, you're wrong.

It is very popular in NY/NJ, and this is why there's nearly a dozen proposals on the board for new tracks to be built in both states.

You don't get to be the second most popular sport in the country by being popular only in the south.

Besides, NASCAR is most popular in states like North Carolina & Virginia. Hardly the deep south and barely a stones throw from "the rest" of Jersey.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Figures.
Whatcha know about Morris County hmm?

Huh? Who said that?

You said "Nascar is not popular in New Jersey", I say, you're wrong.

It is very popular in NY/NJ, and this is why there's nearly a dozen proposals on the board for new tracks to be built in both states.
Maybe I should have said it the first time, but later in the topic I clarified by saying that "relative to other sports, no, it's not that popular around here..."
Old 12-18-2006, 12:32 AM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Never liked the sport and never will. I am an Associate Producer in the gaming industry. I had to work on the last NASCAR product that just came out like a month ago on the PS2 and Xbox. It was murder on me.

I got to meet the drivers go the races. Had all the passes to go anywhere at the races and still didn’t find it enjoying.

I would much rather watch Moto GP. I think these guys are way more talented the NASCAR drivers.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:25 AM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Shake 'n' Bake Baby!

Quick Reply: Why do people like NASCAR?