Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

Steriods pops up again in Baseball

Old 06-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Keeping emos out of

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steriods pops up again in Baseball

Roids

Steroid case costs Grimsley his job

May. 7, 2006 11:54 AM

PHOENIX - The Arizona Diamondbacks on Wednesday released pitcher Jason Grimsley, one day after his home was searched by federal agents as part of an investigation into steroid use by athletes.

General Manager Josh Byrnes told a Chase Field news conference that Grimsley had requested his unconditional release in meetings with team officials Tuesday and Wednesday.

"We accepted his request," Brynes said. Byrnes would not discuss if Grimsley would be paid the remainder of his roughly $800,000 salary.

Diamondbacks pitcher Terry Mulholland said Grimsley addressed his teammates after Tuesday's loss to the Philadelphia Phillies.

"He expressed to us that he had too much respect for to allow this to bring us down," Mulholland said. "He's that kind of guy."

Grimsley's locker in the calm clubhouse was empty when the room was opened to the media before this afternoon's game with the Phillies.

Link to Steriods Probe Affadavit

Last edited by goose25; 06-07-2006 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Keeping emos out of

The Arizona Diamondbacks on Wednesday released pitcher Jason Grimsley, one day after his home was searched by federal agents as part of an investigation into steroid use by athletes.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Keeping emos out of

Grimsley in drug probe
Pitcher told IRS agent he used steroids

Joseph A. Reaves
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 7, 2006 12:00 AM

D-Backs player caught in steroid probe
Affidavit of Jason Grimsley

Last August, the day Rafael Palmeiro of the Baltimore Orioles returned to baseball in disgrace after serving a 10-day suspension for using steroids, teammate Jason Grimsley tried to reassure disappointed fans that the worst was over.

"There's definitely something that has been taken away (from the fans)," Grimsley told a Baltimore Sun reporter. "But there are steps being made and things being done to fix that.
advertisement

"I hope the fans see that. I hope the public see that. And I think the people in Major League Baseball offices and the people in Capitol Hill see the efforts that are being made to change things."

In April, eight months after Grimsley spoke of fixing things and changing things, federal agents caught the new Diamondbacks relief pitcher accepting what he admitted was his 12th shipment of human growth hormone kits through the mail at his Scottsdale home.

Documents obtained Tuesday by The Arizona Republic reveal Grimsley agreed to cooperate with investigators from the Internal Revenue Service criminal division minutes after he accepted a mail shipment containing the banned drugs.

In a two-hour conversation with special agent Jeff Novitzky, who led the Bay Area Laboratory Co-operative investigation that resulted in a conviction against Barry Bonds' personal trainer, Grimsley admitted using performance-enhancing drugs, anabolic steroids, amphetamines and human growth hormones "throughout his career."

That career began in 1985 when he had a tryout in his native Texas with the Philadelphia Phillies. Grimsley was a shortstop at the time because a broken wrist and a shoulder injury prevented him from pitching his junior and senior years at Tarkington High School baseball in Cleveland, Texas.

Grimsley made his major league debut as a starter with Philadelphia on Sept. 8, 1989. He has appeared in 552 games, compiling a 42-58 record with a 4.77 ERA. He signed a one-year contract with the Diamondbacks last winter for $825,000 and has appeared in 19 games this season.

Besides the Phillies, Orioles and Diamondbacks, Grimsley pitched for the Cleveland Indians, California (now Los Angeles) Angels, New York Yankees and Kansas City Royals.

In 1992, he was traded from Philadelphia to Houston for Curt Schilling. But he never played a major league game for the Astros.

Grimsley was the player representative for the Kansas City Royals in 2002 when the Major League Baseball Players Association agreed for the first time to allow mandatory testing for steroids.

In an on-air interview with CNN's financial network, Grimsley admitted that many players fought hard to prevent testing.

"It's something that as a union we've adamantly opposed in the past, period," he said. "For us to, as a union, to take a step that way, I think that shows a lot on our part and a willingness to get something done and get something done quick."

Asked years later how he could make a mistake, Grimsley said he had no choice: All of Belle's bats were corked.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:55 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
so did they find anything?

edit: i didnt read the last post when i was typing. first article didnt say anything
Old 06-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Keeping emos out of

Originally Posted by subinf
so did they find anything?
Check out this link: Affadavit
Old 06-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Az User

Received 2,570 Likes on 1,718 Posts
baseball players sure are doing a great job of ruining MBL's image.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by 03SSMTL-S
baseball players sure are doing a great job of ruining MBL's image.
They're trying, but the funny thing is that most surveys show that MLB fans don't care anymore about the steroid scandal. Or they care less. Can't remember which... need to find the survey on ESPN.com...
Old 06-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Cause of power outages...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goose25
Check out this link: Affadavit
You know...the funny thing is that I can take that PDF file and move the boxes that black out portions of the document...

EDIT: It just seems to be his address.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:17 PM
Benchwarmer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, I care. Figures Grimsley once pitched for the Yankees. And how does Ivan Rodriguez avoid falling through the ice? Canseco fingered him and not one of his allegations has proved false yet. Plus the guy went from a size 52 coat to a 42 over the winter a couple years back and has a whopping 4 HR's this year.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Team Owner

Giambi can't be far off in any of these investigations.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:28 PM
Senior Moderator

^ I'm sure he's not the only one. Thing is proof is hard to come by since they all covered they're tracks so well. Plus, with the public eye as intense as it is now, the smart players should all be cleaned up which means they'll be safe.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:29 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by juniorbean
^ I'm sure he's not the only one. Thing is proof is hard to come by since they all covered they're tracks so well. Plus, with the public eye as intense as it is now, the smart players should all be cleaned up which means they'll be safe.
True - but firsthand testimony has to be worth something, one would hope.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Always Dirty
True - but firsthand testimony has to be worth something, one would hope.
You would think... yet no one has been convicted of anything despite being called out by other players in the past... so who knows...
Old 06-07-2006, 04:33 PM
Team Owner

What's the status on HGH? Banned?
Old 06-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Yeah, I think so...
Old 06-07-2006, 04:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by IlliNorge
Figures Grimsley once pitched for the Yankees.
He was on the team for two seasons... and I don't even think it was two full seasons. What does the teams he played for have to do with anything?
Old 06-07-2006, 04:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Yes..

BUT it requires a blood test to find in the system which the MLB doesn't do.. WTF.. :shakehead
Old 06-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Benchwarmer

Yeah, it's illegal, but undetectable except for a blood test, and ain't no way the union is going to let that happen. Not sure if HGH would work on Giambi (after all it is HUMAN)
Senior Moderator

It's been on ESPN radio ALL freakin day.. I guess he names like 20-30 players in the affidavit..

This is Also the guy who crawled through the ceiling to swap bats when.. fuck I can't remember his name.. had the corked bat..
Senior Moderator

^ Albert Belle
Old 06-07-2006, 04:40 PM
Benchwarmer

He was on the team for two seasons... and I don't even think it was two full seasons. What does the teams he played for have to do with anything?
Any chance I get to the Yankees.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:44 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
If you're not cheating, you're not trying.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Any chance I get to the Yankees.
Ahhh, that's what I figured. I was hoping that wasn't the case and was giving you the benefit of the doubt. So sad
Old 06-07-2006, 04:49 PM
All your base belong to

Repost?
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=624
Old 06-07-2006, 04:49 PM
Benchwarmer

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
If you're not cheating, you're not trying.
^^^ Ozzie Guillen, another of my favorites. Figures he wears pinstripes at home just like the Yankees do.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:51 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^ Ozzie Guillen, another of my favorites. Figures he wears pinstripes at home just like the Yankees do.
Don't pull a muscle reaching on that one.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:11 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Albert Belle

Thank you sir Junior..
Old 06-07-2006, 06:47 PM
I shoot people

Received 3,054 Likes on 1,482 Posts
...when's all this steriod business gonna hit the NFL, that's what I want to know...
Old 06-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by is300eater
...when's all this steriod business gonna hit the NFL, that's what I want to know...
It already did back in the 70s and 80s.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:24 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
It already did back in the 70s and 80s.
..fine, whatever... but I think it's pretty safe to say that 'roids is still in the NFL... if not even MORE than MLB, I assure you all those aggression on the field... especially the linemen, isn't just for the love of the game, but that's the 'roids talkin'

(and in the NBA, I used to question Karl Malone)
Old 06-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by is300eater
..fine, whatever... but I think it's pretty safe to say that 'roids is still in the NFL... if not even MORE than MLB, I assure you all those aggression on the field... especially the linemen, isn't just for the love of the game, but that's the 'roids talkin'

(and in the NBA, I used to question Karl Malone)
They have way more tests in the NFL than they do in MLB and if you test positive I think you miss 6 or 8 games for the first time. BTW steroid use in the NBA is virtually nonexistent.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:12 AM
Keeping emos out of

I heard on the radio that this whole thing stemmed from the Feds trying to get him to wear a wire in an attempt to get Barry Bonds to talk about his roids.

What Barry, I can't hear you, can you move your mouth a little closer to my chest
Old 06-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

I know all those players are shittin a brick ..
Old 06-08-2006, 10:27 AM
Keeping emos out of

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...G53JA5C826.DTL

Gwen Knapp
Search shows Bonds is not feds' only quarry

Thursday, June 8, 2006

Now, the feds are really playing ball. More than 2 1/2 years after they raided BALCO, they finally went to a major leaguer's house with a search warrant and then revealed his name to the public. They don't appear ready to quit there, either. The affidavit for the search warrant made it clear that Arizona's Jason Grimsley had already named names during a previous encounter with federal agents.

Grimsley talked about a teammate whose horrible back acne gave away his steroid use, and about the colleagues who commiserated about the complications of playing baseball after the new ban on amphetamines, and about the buddy who recommended a sleazy doctor in Florida known for dispensing human growth hormone through a "wellness center."

The government inked out all the names, but the information should yield more search warrants, and more after that. At that rate, the case against doping would make a bigger comeback than the Red Sox in the 2004 American League Championship Series.

The longest prison sentence went to BALCO founder Victor "I'm Ready for My Close-Up" Conte. Despite confessing on national television, he spent only four months in prison, followed by four in home confinement. Not much of a deterrent. Aspiring steroids dealers could assume that, with a modicum of discretion, they would avoid even the cheap penalty that Conte paid.

The Bonds spectacle might have been a cautionary tale for young athletes, but his personality, as always, got in the way. Bonds is like Hillary Clinton, a figure too polarizing to serve as a true test of a) whether a woman can be elected president or b) how to treat dopers chasing hallowed records.

So instead of watching Bonds absorb boos and thinking that steroids ultimately can erode the very legacy they were supposed to build, younger players can tell themselves that if he had just made nice with the press and signed a few more autographs, Bonds would be in the clear.

Jeff Novitzky, the lead BALCO investigator, has been portrayed as a racist, jealous ex-athlete who went after Conte's whole operation just to nail the Giants leftfielder. (Apparently, the other athletes called as witnesses, particularly the track stars who were ultimately banned from their sport, amounted to collateral damage.)

Grimsley's lawyer tried to back up that image by telling the Arizona Republic that the federal agents wanted his client to wear a wire and tape other major-leaguers talking about Bonds. The idea makes no sense. Grimsley never played with Bonds. Most people who have played with Bonds haven't become his confidants, certainly not to the extent that they would have information that qualifies as admissible evidence against him.

Plus, if Novitzky knows his baseball history, Grimsley seems an unlikely choice to aid in a serious investigation. Until now, the pitcher was best known for trying help in a cover-up for Albert Belle, the only contemporary ballplayer who rivaled Bonds' unpopularity. Grimsley eventually confessed that he had sneaked through a crawl space at Comiskey Park and dropped into the umpires' dressing room to retrieve a corked bat confiscated earlier in the day from Belle.

In the end, Grimsley botched the caper, replacing the incriminating bat with a model that obviously did not belong to Belle. It had teammate Paul Sorrento's signature inscribed on the wood.

But the lawyer did what good spin masters do. He changed the subject. And when the main topic is steroids, it's too easy to turn the conversation toward Bonds. But this problem is about so much more than Bonds.

It's about pitchers as well as sluggers.

It's about average players -- like Grimsley, a journeyman who has lasted 15 years in the majors -- as well as superstars.

It's about lovable good guys (Jason Giambi) as well as jerks.

It's about not trusting tests to fix everything, because human growth hormone can't be detected in a urine sample. (The affidavit says the agents tracked a growth-hormone delivery to the Grimsley's house and quotes Grimsley as saying he stopped taking anything else after baseball started full-scale testing.)

It's about football and soccer and swimming and tennis. Or it should be. For some reason, the attention devoted to doping in baseball has been as warped as the scrutiny applied to Bonds.

Mostly, it's about relentlessness. Doping won't go away easily, certainly not with just one case in Northern California. Sports salaries are too big, and the risk of detection, until now, has been too small.

The first time around, federal investigators didn't play very aggressively. They raided BALCO and the home of Bonds' personal trainer, Greg Anderson, who eventually did three months in prison. They never went to a ballplayer's house. They treated athletes as witnesses only, with immunity, and their names were never officially disclosed.

According to the affidavit, investigators offered Grimsley essentially the same deal - cooperate in return for discretion - when they went to his home in April. He agreed, spilling all sorts of information to avoid a search of his house. Then he stopped cooperating, and the feds turned the page in their playbook, which is longer than anyone imagined. All of a sudden, it's not just a picture of Barry Bonds.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Banned

Thats fucked up. All they were tryin to do was catch barry and they opened up a whole can of worms.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Damn, the players who he ratted are blacked out in that pdf.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:02 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
They have way more tests in the NFL than they do in MLB and if you test positive I think you miss 6 or 8 games for the first time. BTW steroid use in the NBA is virtually nonexistent.

I totally understand, but Karl Malone just stands out... (or I should say "stood out"), I had read somewhere that Karl works out like a bodybuilder, and coming from someone that's done steroids... he just fits the "image" of someone that could be on roids...

Old 06-08-2006, 06:12 PM
Keeping emos out of

Originally Posted by Mike97 3.0P
Damn, the players who he ratted are blacked out in that pdf.
Its only a matter of time before the names are leaked.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:27 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Thome is probably the former teamate referenced on page 14