Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NFL: Junior Seau Dead

Old 05-02-2012, 09:40 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by NetEditor
This isn't someone who lost their job or got divorced and then decided to commit suicide. This is a growing problem in contact sports. IMO, saying he's just a coward is uncalled for if he, in fact, had CTE.
OK, my opinion, move on, you're not going to change it. Seems to be a lot of help out there for ex NFL players for this shit and taking the easy way out, instead of trying to fight it. I listen to many on the TV talk about him. I heard nothing of him being in treatment to help with this.

And I'm getting a little tired of people blaming the NFL for the current conditions from making hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not million of dollars to play a game that people know can fuck you up for life.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Big White Chocolate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo
OK, my opinion, move on, you're not going to change it. Seems to be a lot of help out there for ex NFL players for this shit and taking the easy way out, instead of trying to fight it. I listen to many on the TV talk about him. I heard nothing of him being in treatment to help with this.

And I'm getting a little tired of people blaming the NFL for the current conditions from making hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not million of dollars to play a game that people know can fuck you up for life.
Fair enough. I agree that players know what they're getting themselves into and the risks. Even with all the research being done, it's not like people will stop playing football.

BTW, there is no way to fight CTE. Very little is know about it. Even finding out whether you have it must be done post-mortem.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
BTW, there is no way to fight CTE. Very little is know about it. Even finding out whether you have it must be done post-mortem.

You can't just throw some counseling and Zoloft at CTE.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:00 PM
L.A. > the rest

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
You are correct, we don't know. But it didn't seem to stop you from drawing a conclusion by calling him a coward, did it?
he chose that profession. hence, coward with CTE. allegedly.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Big White Chocolate

Originally Posted by SLIKRIK
he chose that profession. hence, coward with CTE. allegedly.
Wow. So you must feel the same way about veterans with PTSD.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Related.

http://wavs.unclebubby.com/wav/MOVIE...sinker_dh3.wav
Old 05-02-2012, 10:21 PM
L.A. > the rest

wow. so u must really dress like the girl in your avatar.

you sound like brian6speed.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:33 PM
Big White Chocolate

wow. so u must really dress like the girl in your avatar.

you sound like brian6speed.
Wow. Nice comeback. Don't blame me if you painted yourself into a corner with your lame argument.
The following 2 users liked this post by NetEditor:
F23A4 (05-03-2012), OTSB708 (05-03-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 10:48 PM
L.A. > the rest

Wow. Nice comeback. Don't blame me if you painted yourself into a corner with your lame argument.
i thought u might like that coming from frisco of all places. oh, i'm sorry... am i drawing conclusions too?!

fact is that i view suicide as an easy out regardless of what ails u. if ur an old ass shriveled up raisin that has nothing left to contribute then so be it. but when u have a family that still depends on u, then i am not as forgiving. seek help, do something, anything, but at that age with so much life ahead of u and with kids to mentor and raise... what are u teaching them? when u have a headache and confused and life is hard put a slug through ur chest? c'mon!! u don't have to agree with it but that's my

point is, what he did, he didn't just do to himself... he did it to his family/kids.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:36 AM
all work and no play

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
This isn't someone who lost their job or got divorced and then decided to commit suicide. This is a growing problem in contact sports. IMO, saying he's just a coward is uncalled for if he, in fact, had CTE.
there was a local kid in the news here within the past year, suffered a major concussion playing highschool football, after getting the OK to play again he suffered another major one shortly after. Parents and doctors said OK no more. some time later he was recovering, doing well, planning to go to the prom with his GF. One day he was playing video games, he just shut them off and went upstairs and hung himself.

I dont know if it was CTE, but it sounded like a totally compulsive act which wasnt based upon anything which would normally preclude suicide
Old 05-03-2012, 05:58 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
The lack of compassion and nuance to some of the thoughts here is really sad. I hope none of you never experience anything that changes your minds on this topic.

Junior.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
You have to wonder whether concussions led to suicidal thoughts.
You should check out the Science Friday podcast, second hour from 4/27/2012...

http://www.sciencefriday.com/feeds/radio/
http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect....120427-hr2.mp3
Old 05-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by svtmike
The lack of compassion and nuance to some of the thoughts here is really sad. I hope none of you never experience anything that changes your minds on this topic.

Junior.

Shame what happened. Being my nickname was/is Junior... our coach used to call me Seau sometimes. I really like watching him play.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
Old 05-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Big White Chocolate

i thought u might like that coming from frisco of all places. oh, i'm sorry... am i drawing conclusions too?!
Are your retorts always this lame?

fact is that i view suicide as an easy out regardless of what ails u. if ur an old ass shriveled up raisin that has nothing left to contribute then so be it. but when u have a family that still depends on u, then i am not as forgiving. seek help, do something, anything, but at that age with so much life ahead of u and with kids to mentor and raise... what are u teaching them? when u have a headache and confused and life is hard put a slug through ur chest? c'mon!! u don't have to agree with it but that's my

point is, what he did, he didn't just do to himself... he did it to his family/kids.
I'd agree with you if this was a guy who lost his job or got divorced or offed himself because the stock market crashed, but this is probably (and, yes, all the facts aren't in) had severe head trauma after playing 14 years in the NFL. And, yes, I do feel badly for his family and friends, but I'm thinking even they have more sympathy for him than you do.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:47 PM
L.A. > the rest

As I stated initially, I feel bad for the guy, but I feel worst for those he left behind.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,478 Likes on 3,071 Posts
Man, you guys argue like a couple of little school girls :gheyfight:
The following users liked this post:
MWalsh9152 (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 07:32 PM
L.A. > the rest

^
Old 05-04-2012, 07:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,249 Likes on 4,859 Posts
I heard nothing of him being in treatment to help with this.
.. seek help, do something, anything...
I will say that I have to agree with these points, but will withhold judgement in the case that what he did was not premeditated.

As for this, there is absolutely no reason to blame the players. The players are not the ones who make the rules or create the incentives. If your argument is that they find another job, I call .

About half of the money in the NFL goes to 32 owners, and about the other half goes to 1664, 32*52 (conservatively), players. How many jobs out there place the responsibility of safety and on site accident recovery on the employees? I would be a drop in the ocean for the owners to each buck up a little dough to fund the research and rehab for these players. I can guarantee you the players are already paying for their own parts.

Junior.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:13 AM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Received 290 Likes on 267 Posts
From the ages of 8/9/10yrs old - 17/18 yrs old there were 2 guy I wanted to be... Lawrence Taylor and Junior Seau... I ended up playing Pop Warner ~ High School Varsity ball as right side (strong side) Line Backer. Today I am 37yrs old... This is how long this guy has been doing this and inspiring so many, like myself and thousands after me. Even if this tarnishes any possibility of HOF (Hall of Fame)... He will always be a HOF'er in my book. period!

...For what ever reason, I don't judge. RIP my childhood hero.

Last edited by JayVee; 05-04-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:05 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Anyone who want's to call Junior a coward for what he did, contemplate a few things.

1)He knew he was mentally unstable, would you feel better if he had some brain trauma issues that led him to kill or hurt his family?

2)He knew something was wrong with his brain. People who commit suicide by gun almost always shoot themselves in the head, it's the method that is most likely to instantly kill you.

Junior didn't do this, he shot himself in the stomach, a method which is much less likely to actually kill you and will make you suffer a longer and more painful death if you are successful.

Why did Junior shoot himself in the stomach? As a last act of his incredible COURAGE and PHILANTHROPY. A coward would have shot themselves in the head and took the easy way out. Junior did not want to blow his brains out, he knew that there was value in them being intact so research could be done.

He's more courageous than any of you. He took a very painful exit from this world to preserve his brain for the greater good. He had real courage not to be confused with the keyboard courage displayed here.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:16 AM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
Any word on the family's decision to donate his brain or not? Hoping they do.

And I posted this in the Dave Duerson thread, and recommend reading the linked article if you'd like.

I've been really intrigued by what they're finding with these tests, especially after reading this article. Almost makes you sick to your stomach.

Long, but highly recommended:

http://blackandgoldworld.blogspot.co...ers-brain.html
Old 05-15-2012, 12:32 AM
I shoot people

Received 3,055 Likes on 1,482 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottman111
Any word on the family's decision to donate his brain or not? Hoping they do.

And I posted this in the Dave Duerson thread, and recommend reading the linked article if you'd like.
I believe I DID hear they decided to let his brain go to research afterall, I think they initially didn't want that. (but I might be wrong)
Old 05-21-2012, 11:55 PM
Registered 3.5L Member

Received 154 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by black label
Anyone who want's to call Junior a coward for what he did, contemplate a few things.

1)He knew he was mentally unstable, would you feel better if he had some brain trauma issues that led him to kill or hurt his family?

2)He knew something was wrong with his brain. People who commit suicide by gun almost always shoot themselves in the head, it's the method that is most likely to instantly kill you.

Junior didn't do this, he shot himself in the stomach, a method which is much less likely to actually kill you and will make you suffer a longer and more painful death if you are successful.

Why did Junior shoot himself in the stomach? As a last act of his incredible COURAGE and PHILANTHROPY. A coward would have shot themselves in the head and took the easy way out. Junior did not want to blow his brains out, he knew that there was value in them being intact so research could be done.

He's more courageous than any of you. He took a very painful exit from this world to preserve his brain for the greater good. He had real courage not to be confused with the keyboard courage displayed here.
While I agree with everything you've stated here, JR drove off a cliff in 2010 because he "fell asleep" even though there were swerve marks to show it was deliberate...no thought of saving brain there...two years later he shot himself...he needed help, but never got it...RIP JR SEAU!

Last edited by BigPZ; 05-21-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:45 PM

Junior Seau had brain disease CTE

Junior Seau, one of the NFL's best and fiercest players for two decades, suffered from a degenerative brain disease often associated with repeated blows to the head when he committed suicide last May, the National Institutes of Health said in a study released Thursday.
The NIH, based in Bethesda, Md., said Seau's brain revealed abnormalities consistent with chronic traumatic encephalopathy or CTE. It said that the study included unidentified brains, one of which was Seau's, and that the findings on Seau were similar to autopsies of people "with exposure to repetitive head injuries."
Seau's family requested the analysis of his brain.
The star linebacker played for 20 NFL seasons with San Diego, Miami and New England before retiring in 2009. He died of a self-inflicted shotgun wound.
He joins a list of several dozen football players who were found to have CTE. Boston University's center for study of the disease reported last month that 34 former pro players and nine who played only college football suffered from CTE.
"I was not surprised after learning a little about CTE that he had it," Seau's 23-year-old son Tyler said. "He did play so many years at that level. I was more just kind of angry I didn't do something more and have the awareness to help him more, and now it is too late.
"I don't think any of us were aware of the side effects that could be going on with head trauma until he passed away. We didn't know his behavior was from head trauma."
TROTTER: FRED MCCRARY RECALLS COLLISION WITH SEAU
That behavior, according to Tyler Seau and Junior's ex-wife Gina, included wild mood swings, irrationality, forgetfulness, insomnia and depression.
The NFL faces lawsuits by thousands of former players who say the league withheld information on the harmful effects concussions. According to an AP review of 175 lawsuits, 3,818 players have sued. At least 26 Hall of Famer members are among the players who have done so.
Seau is not the first former NFL player who killed himself, then was found to have CTE. Dave Duerson and Ray Easterling are the others.
"He emotionally detached himself and would kind of `go away' for a little bit," Tyler Seau said. "And then the depression and things like that. It started to progressively get worse."
He hid it well in public, they said. But not when he was with family or close friends.
Dr. Russell Lonser, who oversaw the study, said Seau's brain was "independently evaluated by multiple experts, in a blind fashion."
"We had the opportunity to get multiple experts involved in a way they wouldn't be able to directly identify his tissue even if they knew he was one of the individuals studied," he said.
The National Football League, in an email to the AP, said: "We appreciate the Seau family's cooperation with the National Institutes of Health. The finding underscores the recognized need for additional research to accelerate a fuller understanding of CTE.
"The NFL, both directly and in partnership with the NIH, Centers for Disease Control and other leading organizations, is committed to supporting a wide range of independent medical and scientific research that will both address CTE and promote the long-term health and safety of athletes at all levels."
NFL teams have given a $30 million research grant to the NIH.
Before shooting himself, Duerson, a former Chicago Bears defensive back, left a note asking that his brain be studied for signs of trauma. His family filed a wrongful-death suit against the NFL, claiming the league didn't do enough to prevent or treat the concussions that severely damaged his brain.
Easterling played safety for the Falcons in the 1970s. After his career, he suffered from dementia, depression and insomnia, according to his wife, Mary Ann. He committed suicide last April.
Mary Ann Easterling is among the plaintiffs who have sued the NFL.
"It was important to us to get to the bottom of this, the truth," Gina Seau said, "and now that it has been conclusively determined from every expert that he had obviously had it, CTE, we just hope it is taken more seriously.
"You can't deny it exists, and it is hard to deny there is a link between head trauma and CTE. There's such strong evidence correlating head trauma and collisions and CTE."
Tyler Seau played football through high school and for two years in college. He says he has no symptoms of brain trauma.
Gina Seau's son Jake, now a high school junior, played football for two seasons but has switched to lacrosse and has been recruited to play at Duke.
"Lacrosse is really his sport and what he is passionate about," she said. "He is a good football player and probably could continue. But especially now watching what his dad went through, he says, `Why would I risk lacrosse for football?'
"I didn't have to have a discussion with him after we saw what Junior went through."
Her 12-year-old son, Hunter, has shown no interest in playing football.
"That's fine with me," she said.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...2_a2&eref=sihp

Related story:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...3_a4&eref=sihp
Old 01-10-2013, 10:45 PM

Glad the family went through with it.