Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NFL Fantasy Football 2008--Post your teams

Old 08-12-2008, 10:52 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
NFL Fantasy Football 2008--Post your teams

QB Tom Brady

QB Tony Romo

WR Laveranues Coles

WR Derrick Mason

WR Reggie Williams

RB Clinton Portis

RB Michael Turner

RB Jonathan Stewart

TE Dallas Clark

TE Heath Miller

W/T Donte' Stallworth

W/R Edgerrin James

BN Justin Fargas

BN Chris Brown

BN Ronald Curry

BN Tarvaris Jackson

BN Muhsin Muhammad

BN Chris Baker

K David Akers

BN Shaun Suisham

DEF Minnesota

DEF New York

D Mike Vrabel

DB Orlando Scandrick

DL Ebenezer Ekuban

It looks like a pretty good squad. I'm not too sure about Jonathan Stewart, as he is coming off a turf toe injury.

Thoughts?
Old 08-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Return of the Ring

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
I hope your scoring system is heavily QB-biased. Is Derrick Mason still in the league? Seriously, Coles is kind of a crap-shoot since he proved in DC that he only does well with Pennington throwing to him. Reggie Williams = meh. Portis should be ok if he stays healthy. Turner has a lot of upside - we'll see what he can do now that he's "the man" though. As for Stewart, lately it's been looking like DeAngelo Williams is gonna be the main man for the Panthers. It's Carolina, though, so who knows... it's only a matter of time before they're starting Nick Goings at RB again.

Just curious... what league is this where you get so many starters?
Old 08-12-2008, 11:50 PM

It's a yahoo league with all my army buddies that I've been hosting for the last few years. It's head to head, but you get points for just about anything. Sometimes weekly scores can reach >300. Usually I don't allow that many starters, but this year we only have 10 teams so I added a couple more. It keeps it more interesting, IMO.

You're right about my receivers, though. That's the first thing I thought, but then every year I have a mediocre receiver core and fare pretty well.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:26 AM
Return of the Ring

Ah... gotta love Yahoo. I don't think anyone else gives you that kind of flexibility in league setup. I play there every year as well with some college buddies. Our roster is a little more traditional, except we use individual defensive players instead of team D. That takes it to a whole other level IMO. Our draft isn't until the 25th though...
Old 08-13-2008, 08:47 AM

My teams always have 3 individual defensive players, as well as team defense. our league has to be an autopick draft because we all live in different states and it's impossible to get everybody together for a live draft.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:00 AM
Return of the Ring

Oh man you do have IDP guys on there... my bad! I think I tuned out when I started seeing team defenses. That's my big weakness when I play in other leagues because I've played in that one IDP league from day one, so that's how I learned to play fantasy football.

Now, who the F*** is Orlando Scandrick?? That's my one gripe with Yahoo is that their default rankings for IDP are so out of whack. Vrabel is always up at the top, I guess because he sometimes plays on offense (in the red zone no less), then it's the kick-returning DBs (a lot of whom aren't even starters on D) and then.... it's anybody's guess how the hell they rank the rest of them.

Check out http://www.fflivewire.com for free fantasy football news. Right now they have some lists of the top LBs and DBs on their home page. Fantasy Sporting News also keeps IDP rankings throughout the season, but you have to pay to subscribe (I think it's about $15 a year).

Good luck!
Old 08-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
Can you pre-rank auto pick drafts?
Old 08-15-2008, 12:50 PM

yes, you might get 1 or 2 of the players you want.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:00 AM
Luke 1:37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who would you guys pick if this was the situation:

1. LT
2. Tom Brady
3. Adrian Peterson
4. Brian Westbrook
5. Joseph Addai
6. Marshawn Lynch
7. Steven Jackson
8. Randy Moss
9. Peyton Manning
10. Me
15. Me again

I am thinking about going with either Tony Romo, Terrell Owens, Clinton Portis...maybe Jamal Lewis.

Any suggestions...thoughts?

Last edited by virtualbong; 08-18-2008 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'd definitely go RB...

Take Gore.. then on the way back another RB from Barber, Jones-Drew or Portis.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:52 AM

I would go with Tony Romo, then take MJD for your #15 pick.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Return of the Ring

I would go with either Frank Gore or Marion Barber with your 1st pick. With the 2nd, if they're available I would take Larry Johnson or Ryan Grant; if both are gone, take an elite WR like TO, Reggie Wayne or Braylon Edwards.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Luke 1:37

Originally Posted by elessar
I would go with either Frank Gore or Marion Barber with your 1st pick. With the 2nd, if they're available I would take Larry Johnson or Ryan Grant; if both are gone, take an elite WR like TO, Reggie Wayne or Braylon Edwards.
I actually just went with Frank Gore. I had some buddies suggest it and after doing a little more research I agreed on the pick. I will most likely take Marion Barber, T.O. or Romo for my next pick.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Return of the Ring

Good luck!
Old 08-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Az User

Received 2,552 Likes on 1,701 Posts
Gore over Portis you know SF sucks right? and i would go WR next round then QB, look at brees, and big ben.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:28 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not really feeling my team:

12 team league (yahoo). we only start one QB.

QB: drew brees
WR: reggie wayne
WR: anquan boldin
WR: lee evans
RB: frank gore
RB: thomas jones
TE: jason witten
W/R: anthony gonzalez
K: gastowski (sp)
DEF: san diego

bench:
QB: marc bulger
WR: donte stallworth
RB: the steelers rookie (do'nt remember his name...rashard *)
don't remember the other 2 players on my bench.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:43 PM
Return of the Ring

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks

bench:
Not too bad, although your #2 RB (Jones) is kinda shaky. Your QB and WRs are solid though. Gonzalez could end up being a steal if Marvin Harrison doesn't bounce back from last year. Steelers' rookie is Rashard Mendenhall, and he should be a great compliment to Willie Parker since he's a big bruising RB, almost like a FB. He could easily turn into a TD vulture, and might end up being your #2 back just based on that. Plus if Parker gets hurt again... remember what Najeh Davenport did filling in for him late last year? Mendenhall can probably do better.

Edit: Where the f*** is Stallworth playing these days?? It's tough to keep track of The Human Hamstring Pull.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Az User

Received 2,552 Likes on 1,701 Posts
Not bad you maybe able to steal a starting RB of the waviers before the season starts, keep an eye on cinci, and Houston.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:23 PM

bench:

It's not that bad. Brees has the potential to put up big numbers, Gore and Boldin will have awesome numbers, and your TEs will do well. I would try to find a RB to replace Jones.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:31 PM

Not too bad, although your #2 RB (Jones) is kinda shaky. Your QB and WRs are solid though. Gonzalez could end up being a steal if Marvin Harrison doesn't bounce back from last year. Steelers' rookie is Rashard Mendenhall, and he should be a great compliment to Willie Parker since he's a big bruising RB, almost like a FB. He could easily turn into a TD vulture, and might end up being your #2 back just based on that. Plus if Parker gets hurt again... remember what Najeh Davenport did filling in for him late last year? Mendenhall can probably do better.

Edit: Where the f*** is Stallworth playing these days?? It's tough to keep track of The Human Hamstring Pull.
yea, RB is where i'm most worried about. but we've seen in the past few seasons as more teams are using dual RBs, guys come out of nowhere like earnest graham last season. and i'm hoping favre will make things a bit easier for jones.

i was gonna take earnest graham as my second RB in the 4th round, but the guy that picked before me wasn't at the live online draft. and graham just happened to be the highest pre-ranked player by yahoo. so i just missed out.

Originally Posted by 03SSMTL-S
Not bad you maybe able to steal a starting RB of the waviers before the season starts, keep an eye on cinci, and Houston.
thanks. that's what i'm hoping for since it's not unusual for quality RBs to come from nowhere (graham as i mentioned, ryan grant, etc).

my 4th RB is the guy for the bengals...don't remember his name though. (not rudi johnson)
Old 08-18-2008, 03:06 PM
Return of the Ring

my 4th RB is the guy for the bengals...don't remember his name though. (not rudi johnson)
That depends. Kenny Watson replaced Rudi last season but it looks like Chris Perry may be the starter this year, if Rudi can't go.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:19 PM

need to check when i get home.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:57 AM

one of my leagues:

QB: Drew Brees
RB: LT
RB/WR: Rudi Johnson
WR: Larry Fitzgerald
WR: Torry Holt
WR/TE: Marvin Harrison
TE: Jeremy Shockey
D: Cowboys
K: Shayne Graham

Bench:

Eli Manning
LenDale White
DeAngelo Williams
Javon Walker
Chris Brown
Muhsin Muhammad
Old 08-19-2008, 09:24 AM
Return of the Ring

Originally Posted by sonnyg80
one of my leagues:

QB: Drew Brees
RB: LT
RB/WR: Rudi Johnson
WR: Larry Fitzgerald
WR: Torry Holt
WR/TE: Marvin Harrison
TE: Jeremy Shockey
D: Cowboys
K: Shayne Graham

Bench:

Eli Manning
LenDale White
DeAngelo Williams
Javon Walker
Chris Brown
Muhsin Muhammad
Hmmm... well for starters, DeAngelo Williams > Rudi Johnson right now, but that will last for about 3 games until he gets hurt, as all Carolina RBs do. LenDale White is pretty much just standing in Chris Johnson's way from what I've been reading. I think Brown will start at RB for the Texans, but he tends to get banged up pretty easily as well. Muhammad is about 1000 years old but probably has some gas left in the tank - good enough for bye weeks, anyway. Who knows what the hell is going on with Walker... I guess it's worth stashing him on your bench. I would pick up Chris Perry, if he's available, since it's looking like he will start at RB for the Bengals while Rudi is hurt. And grab a long-shot TE like Greg Olsen (CHI) or Dustin Keller (NYJ) for when Shockey goes down for the year.

Having said all that, Brees + LT + your WRs look pretty good!
Old 08-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Not Asian

Okay, guys, just a piece of mind.

I'm currently trading:

Dwayne Bowe
Donald Driver

For
Andre Johnson
Nick Folk

I'm banking on the rookie/young QB problems with Croyle and Rodgers. Any thoughts? I also figure I can slide Stallworth into the third WR slot.

The rest of my team:
QB Hasselback
WR Owens
WR Bowe
WR Driver
TE Gates
K Brown
Def Eagles
B J. Jones
B Stallworth
B Delhomme
B Bryant Johnson
B Crumpler

Last edited by phipark; 08-21-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:37 AM
Return of the Ring

Originally Posted by phipark
Okay, guys, just a piece of mind.

I'm currently trading:

Dwayne Bowe
Donald Driver

For
Andre Johnson
Nick Folk

I'm banking on the rookie/young QB problems with Croyle and Rodgers. Any thoughts? I also figure I can slide Stallworth into the third WR slot.

The rest of my team:
WR Owens
B J. Jones
B Stallworth
B Bryant Johnson
Interesting, interesting....

Thoughts:

1) Why the f*** would you trade for a kicker?? I realize Folk scored the most points last year, but kicker is by far the hardest position to predict success in - if their team really sucks, they never get any chances; if the rest of the team is too good, they only end up kicking extra points. I know this is bothering me way too much, because you're essentially just trading the other 2 WRs for Johnson, but c'mon... isn't there any other scrub WR/RB the other team has, that you'd rather take a chance on? I ALWAYS end up waiving the kicker I drafted after Week 1 in favor of whichever K scored the most points that week. I keep doing this until my kicker has more total points on the season than any other free agent kicker. Know who I've ended up with the past 3 years by doing that? Nick Folk last year, Robbie Gould the year before that and Neil Rackers the year before that - each the top kicker that year. Just sayin'...

2) Other than that, I guess I like trading Bowe & Driver for Johnson. I fully expect Driver to do this year what Marvin Harrison did last year, especially without Favre. Nothing against Rodgers - I have high hopes for Greg Jennings & James Jones; I just don't think he'll have the same kind of connection with "the old guy" that Favre did. I like Bowe, but he did do a lot better last year with Huard than with Croyle. Still, he was only a rookie so I'm sure he'll end up adjusting this year. Andre Johnson is great, of course, if he stays healthy this year. Personally I would draft guys like Braylon Edwards, Larry Fitzgerald and Ochos Cinco y Cuatro (both Bengals WRs) over him, just because of that injury concern. But I guess his upside is a lot better than Bowe's & Driver's and their question marks are at least as big as his.

I guess it depends on who your 3rd starting WR would be after the trade, along with Johnson & TO. On your bench... is "J. Jones" James Jones or Julius Jones? If it's not James Jones, first of all see if he's still a free agent because I see him breaking out this year. Otherwise I would try to get another WR in the trade instead of Folk because I wouldn't count on either Bryant Johnson or Donte "Human Hamstring Pull" Stallworth as my #3.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:39 AM

It's a tough call between Driver and Johnson. Driver has always done well for me, but that was with Favre. I would have trade Jones before Driver.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:39 AM

try and get someone else other than a kicker.

there really isn't much point difference between kickers.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Not Asian

Sorry, that would be Julius Jones. I know about Stallworth's legs, I guess that's more of a hope. Kevin Curtis was placed on waivers. Should I use my waiver priority to pick him up? He could possibly come back by week 5. I know trading for a kicker is retarded, but he didn't have anything else. At least that's better than trading for a defense, which is what was originally sent by him.

James Jones is also still out there, but then I'm back to the Rodgers QB situation. Other two possible FA out there are Sidney Rice and Bobby Engram. This league is 12 deep, so that third WR isn't usually much.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:12 PM

engram did put up some good numbers when he was healthy last year.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Return of the Ring

Sorry, that would be Julius Jones. I know about Stallworth's legs, I guess that's more of a hope. Kevin Curtis was placed on waivers. Should I use my waiver priority to pick him up? He could possibly come back by week 5. I know trading for a kicker is retarded, but he didn't have anything else. At least that's better than trading for a defense, which is what was originally sent by him.

James Jones is also still out there, but then I'm back to the Rodgers QB situation. Other two possible FA out there are Sidney Rice and Bobby Engram. This league is 12 deep, so that third WR isn't usually much.
Avoid Curtis like the plague. Even when healthy (which he's obviously not now), he's maddeningly inconsistent. I drafted him last year. Then waived him. Then picked him up after the Detroit game when he blew up; stuck him in my starting lineup. Benched his ass after he didn't do squat the next week. Ended up cutting him again a few weeks later. DO NOT WANT.

I would go with James Jones or Sidney Rice. Both of them looked very promising last year as rookies and I still think Jones will do well with Rodgers at QB. Dunno too much about Engram but I've never been tempted to pick him up, plus he will miss a few weeks this season.

I guess make the trade, then waive one of your kickers for Jones or Rice... maybe Rice right now since he's a starter and James is a #3.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:18 PM
Not Asian

Avoid Curtis like the plague. Even when healthy (which he's obviously not now), he's maddeningly inconsistent. I drafted him last year. Then waived him. Then picked him up after the Detroit game when he blew up; stuck him in my starting lineup. Benched his ass after he didn't do squat the next week. Ended up cutting him again a few weeks later. DO NOT WANT.

I would go with James Jones or Sidney Rice. Both of them looked very promising last year as rookies and I still think Jones will do well with Rodgers at QB. Dunno too much about Engram but I've never been tempted to pick him up, plus he will miss a few weeks this season.

I guess make the trade, then waive one of your kickers for Jones or Rice... maybe Rice right now since he's a starter and James is a #3.
Yeah, I think that's what my plan should be. I was reading up on the hernia stuff. Seems it's one of those injuries that takes almost a year to be 100%.

Sidney Rice looks like the way to go. Hopefully, teams will be putting 8-9 in the box to guard AP, leaving Rice with one on one coverage possibly without safety help.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
QB Tom Brady

WR Terrell Owens

WR Plaxico Burress

WR Lee Evans

RB Ronnie Brown

RB Willie Parker

TE Benjamin Watson
K David Akers

Def Green Bay

i look at my team as average
Old 08-21-2008, 02:52 PM
Return of the Ring

Originally Posted by SG81
QB Tom Brady

WR Terrell Owens

WR Plaxico Burress

WR Lee Evans

RB Ronnie Brown

RB Willie Parker

TE Benjamin Watson
K David Akers

Def Green Bay

i look at my team as average
What kind of RBs are available as free agents? Ronnie Brown will probably not get a ton of workload early in the season. Any chance Ricky Williams is still out there (er... no pun intended)?
Old 08-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Not Asian

What kind of RBs are available as free agents? Ronnie Brown will probably not get a ton of workload early in the season. Any chance Ricky Williams is still out there (er... no pun intended)?
Same with Willie Parker with Mendenhall.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:41 PM
Return of the Ring

Same with Willie Parker with Mendenhall.
That will probably be more of a committee situation where both guys get carries right from the start, since Parker's broken leg seems to be fully recovered and those don't take as long to come back from as torn knee ligaments. I would even expect them to work the rookie in slowly, so Parker might have a bigger workload early on and then give way to Mendenhall more as the season progresses and he starts to get banged up.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:34 PM
Missing My CL-S

Williams is still a FA, but i also have Ernest Graham on my bench. i want to see what unfolds in MIA first b/c i still think Williams won't do much
Old 08-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Return of the Ring

Originally Posted by SG81
Williams is still a FA, but i also have Ernest Graham on my bench. i want to see what unfolds in MIA first b/c i still think Williams won't do much
Ok, I guess Graham is a decent alternative. I'm just getting real skittish about Ronnie Brown (https://acurazine.com/forums/sports-talk-fantasy-leagues-38/nfl-dolphins-thinking-dumping-ronnie-brown-397752/) and, much as I hate to say it, Williams has looked pretty good so far in the pre-season. Dunno how long he'll last in the regular season but I expect him to make a big splash in the first few games at least, after which you could probably trade him at the peak of his value before he inevitably gets hurt, gets busted with drugs again or takes a back seat to Brown.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:56 PM
Missing My CL-S

What about Julious Jones (sp?) on the seahawks? he's also on my bench but i think he's splitting time too?, right?
Old 08-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Return of the Ring

^ Yeah I dunno about Jones. For starters he's at least got Maurice Morris & TJ Duckett to steal carries from him (in fact I think Morris is still officially the starter), plus there's a rookie named Justin Forsett who may eventually end up starting over all of those old & busted guys. I guess I would be higher on Jones if he had ever done anything special when he was "the man" in Dallas, but he was a pretty big bust over there, so...

Quick Reply: NFL Fantasy Football 2008--Post your teams