Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

MLB: Clemens Congressional Hearings Thread **Indicted for Perjury**(Page 2)

Old 02-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,773 Likes on 13,967 Posts
Originally Posted by ZeroPSI
How is it cheating if it was not against the rules? When these athletes were taking these products, there was no rules against it. So why prosecute people for the past?

Corking your bat, using a lubricant to pitch, sliding spikes up: that is cheating.

People will always find away around the rules.

Yummy, you undoubtedly downloaded MP3s from the Internet. That's against the law as set by the RIAA. Cheater.
ZeroPSI: Actually, you'll laugh...but, nearly all of my music and movies are through purchases. But, oops...am I wrong for being the straight-arrow that I am? It's my choice, no?

And I dunno...I think it's quite obvious we're on polar opposites on this issue. I think players like Clemens deserves to burn for lying. The stuff was banned in 2005...fine. So, it was never wrong to use it prior to that. SAY IT. ADMIT IT. But, nope...they have to put up with a fight, waste our tax money (and yeah, I'm still American, remember?), and throw public tantrums to hide the fact. Why? Like I said to Scott: because I truly believe they KNEW what they did even prior to 2005 was WRONG.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Big White Chocolate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
How is it cheating if it was not against the rules? When these athletes were taking these products, there was no rules against it. So why prosecute people for the past?
Like Yums said, if it wasn't cheating, why lie? And it may not have been banned by baseball, but steroids and HGH must be prescribed. If they didn't get a prescription or if the prescription was bogus, it's a crime.

And I'm convinced that owners and the commissioner knew very well what was going on. Considering baseball operates under a special antitrust exemption, I think oversight is necessary.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:02 PM
Senior Moderator

^ And absolutely, the owners, GMs, managers, and Bud Lite Selig all deserve heaps of blame for turning a blind eye to all of this and just going kaching to the sound of $$$$.

However, in the meantime, liars like Clemroids who THINK going on his fawking rep and going around and shaking people's hands on Capitol Hill is how to get out of this ...well, I want this to all backfire. I hope the DOJ burns him when they get their shot at him.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:15 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
Noted (BTW, I've slightly modded my post already). Then, why don't these players just man up and say it???? "Hi world, I took HGH prior to MLB banning this shit in 2005. I'm sorry."

Why does it have to take a Grand Jury or the Department of Justice to get them to say it?

The fact that they are tiptoeing around like little mice indicates to me that they KNOW what they did was wrong.

if you were faced with the possibility for a jail sentence when someone couldn't necessarily prove it....would you man up?

Why the DoJ is involved is stupid in A LOT of peoples opinion. It's the past, testing is now in place, rules are now in place. Baseball you fucked up. Now move on.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:30 AM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Here is my take on the situation.

Clemens used steroids and/or HGH. From his point of view there is no way he will be found guilty of using it. I don't think the evidence that Mcnamee has will hold up in court because it could have easily been doctored. Thus all the claims that he used are hearsay. He figures if he fights the accusations he cannot be found guilty of using and/or perjury.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:29 AM
All your base belong to

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First rule when you are guilty: Deny, Deny, Deny.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First rule, don't be a retard and do something illegal where you can be found guilty.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:54 AM
All your base belong to

Originally Posted by sonnyg80
First rule, don't be a retard and do something illegal where you can be found guilty.
Nope, that is just common sense.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:49 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Originally Posted by sonnyg80

well in their defense, who the F thought the gov't would get involved.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:24 AM
Senior Moderator

And deny loudly.

First rule when you are losing an argument: make it loudly.

Ah, Clemroids, Clemroids, Clemroids...his credibility has just gone the way of Flaxseed and Palmeiro.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm not saying Clemens did or didn't take steroids/HGH. But I happen to think this ENTIRE thing is a complete joke. What is the purpose here? What are we trying to do with this congressional hearing? As someone stated earlier, nothing Mcnamee has will hold up in court. So what is the POINT? This is a joke of our government and even some of the representatives there said they were embarrassed. Our country is fighting a war on 2 fronts and we have millions of illegal immigrants crossing our borders, but let's take the time and tax payers money to make the front page story about whether Clemens is telling the truth or not in regards to taking steroids. To be honest, WHO CARES?
Old 02-14-2008, 01:17 PM
All your base belong to

Originally Posted by CleanCL
I'm not saying Clemens did or didn't take steroids/HGH. But I happen to think this ENTIRE thing is a complete joke. What is the purpose here? What are we trying to do with this congressional hearing? As someone stated earlier, nothing Mcnamee has will hold up in court. So what is the POINT? This is a joke of our government and even some of the representatives there said they were embarrassed. Our country is fighting a war on 2 fronts and we have millions of illegal immigrants crossing our borders, but let's take the time and tax payers money to make the front page story about whether Clemens is telling the truth or not in regards to taking steroids. To be honest, WHO CARES?
I agree more than 100%.

This is what drives me crazy more than if a person actually doped or not.

Our country is in economic turmoil, and our Congress is concerned with professional athletes and doping. That is a complete joke to me, and shows where the priorities of Americans are at. Congress is not the governing body of any professional sport, so why are they involved?

Media has turned this into a giant spectacle, probably in order to remove exposure to whats actually going on in the world, and the real problems of society. The glamourfied lifestyle of professional athletes should be the least of any of their concerns.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

It's my understanding that Clemens was not requested at the Congresonal hearings but volunteered...actually insisted that he be allowed to clear his name?
Old 02-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
I do not find myself agreeing with CLpower often but,

Originally Posted by CLpower
Honestly, this is a waste of taxpayer money......among other govt wastes of taxpayer money. :IBCONGRESSIONALHEARINGSONPITBULLFIGHTINGTAKEPLACE :
Old 02-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Benchwarmer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree more than 100%.

This is what drives me crazy more than if a person actually doped or not.

Our country is in economic turmoil, and our Congress is concerned with professional athletes and doping. That is a complete joke to me, and shows where the priorities of Americans are at. Congress is not the governing body of any professional sport, so why are they involved?

Media has turned this into a giant spectacle, probably in order to remove exposure to whats actually going on in the world, and the real problems of society. The glamourfied lifestyle of professional athletes should be the least of any of their concerns.
The country is not in economic turmoil. The same media that overhypes Clemroids is overstating the bad economy. Congress should be involved if there is lying involved in an American business. Just like they should be involved in point shaving or betting scandals.

What I particularly enjoy about this hearing is that all of the Bonds supporters crying racial motivation and witchhunt can shut the hell up now.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by IlliNorge
The country is not in economic turmoil. The same media that overhypes Clemroids is overstating the bad economy. Congress should be involved if there is lying involved in an American business. Just like they should be involved in point shaving or betting scandals.

What I particularly enjoy about this hearing is that all of the Bonds supporters crying racial motivation and witchhunt can shut the hell up now.
There are far greater issues to be addressed by Congress than whether or not Roger Clemens is lying about using steroids.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:09 PM
All your base belong to

So the government is just handing out economic stimulus checks out of the kindness of their hearts? The housing sector, retail, and stock market are all miserable. All large indicators of the economy.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:11 PM
teh Senior Instigator

The country is not in economic turmoil. The same media that overhypes Clemroids is overstating the bad economy. .

I disagree, just from the industry I work in (automotive aftermarket)......I haven't talked to a single client/associate/friend who wasn't down this year (some significantly, some minor)
Old 02-14-2008, 04:39 PM
Benchwarmer

So the government is just handing out economic stimulus checks out of the kindness of their hearts? The housing sector, retail, and stock market are all miserable. All large indicators of the economy.
Actually they're doing it for votes and to get the public off their backs. If Congress really wanted to stimulate the economy they would dump money into shareholders of big American business, not give it to poor people who didn't pay any taxes.

The housing market was a direct response to an artificial bubble bursting caused by these idiotic sub-prime loans. Retail and stocks are down simply due to fear caused by the housing scare. Even if the economy is in a down turn, recession, whatever you want to call it, it is NOT Congress' job to play around with it. The Fed has a small role, but mostly the country just needs to get through it without the handouts.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:45 PM
Benchwarmer

Originally Posted by F23A4
Honestly, this is a waste of taxpayer money......among other govt wastes of taxpayer money. :IBCONGRESSIONALHEARINGSONPITBULLFIGHTINGTAKEPLACE :
Over the last 20 years Congress has averaged about 152 working days per session. In 2006 they spent only 125 days at work. So it's not like their docket is too full to be reviewing baseball scandals. Be happy that your tax dollars are being used at all.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well..I've been listening to sports radio all day and there are a lot of people who would disagree with you to some extent. There seems to be a lot of people who think Clemens was treated fairly nicely overall by the congressonal members involved - getting autogrpahs and praising him during the hearings. Some folks don't think Bonds gets the same slack.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by lowpost
Well..I've been listening to sports radio all day and there are a lot of people who would disagree with you to some extent. There seems to be a lot of people who think Clemens was treated fairly nicely overall by the congressonal members involved - getting autogrpahs and praising him during the hearings. Some folks don't think Bonds gets the same slack.
In regards to the feelings that Bonds did not get the same amount of slack...

You know what, Bonds made no effort at all to give himself credibility. Clemens is a good guy, whether or not he took steroids. He donates a lot of his time and money to charities and organizations. That's a lot of what he spoke to the congressional members about and he basically just wanted to show what he has done with his professional career. He made the effort to show people who he is and not just be a name attached to 'steroids' and I have to give him some respect for that.

And someone mentioned above that he volunteered to the hearing. That's not entirely true, he was requested to give a deposition and as a witness to the hearing. But he voluntarily met with as many congressional members as possible.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by CLpower
Eh, true - i find that the biggest waste of money.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:02 PM
Benchwarmer

Originally Posted by lowpost
Bonds never talked to Congress. He met with a grand jury without cameras. Clemens' hearing was broadcast so everyone was on their best behavior.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Clemens evidence tests positive for performance-enhancers

BURN! BURN!

From CNNSI...

Federal authorities have found performance-enhancing substances on the materials Brian McNamee said he used to inject Roger Clemens, The New York Times reported Tuesday.

McNamee turned over the syringes, vials and gauze pads to federal investigators last year, after he told baseball investigator George Mitchell he injected the pitcher with steroids and human growth hormone. The Washington Post reported Feb. 6 that tests linked Clemens' DNA to blood in the syringes given to investigators by McNamee.

Clemens has said repeatedly that McNamee, his former personal trainer, injected him with B-12 and the painkiller lidocaine.

"I assumed, and I am not surprised, that the tests were positive for both DNA and for performance-enhancing drugs, because that's what Brian said all along, and there's not much doubt that Brian's been telling the truth," McNamee's lawyer, Richard Emery, told The Associated Press. "The confirmation of that fact, once again, just seems to me to be another significant step towards jail for Clemens."

A federal grand jury in Washington is investigating whether Clemens lied when he told a congressional committee last year that he didn't use illegal performance-enhancing substances. McNamee, testifying before the same committee, said he repeatedly injected Clemens with steroids and HGH.

Rusty Hardin, Clemens' lawyer, did not return a telephone call seeking comment.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:30 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Shocked Yumchah isn't all over this already...

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=331015

New York, NY (Sports Network) - Roger Clemens will reportedly be indicted for perjury, according to the New York Times.

The paper cited two sources in reporting federal authorities will indict Clemens, charging he made false statements to Congress. The report said an announcement is expected soon.

Clemens testified before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform in February 2008 that he never took performance-enhancing drugs. However, ex-trainer Brian McNamee has said repeatedly that he injected the seven-time Cy Young Award winner with steroids and human growth hormone from 1998-2001.

The 48-year-old Clemens, who has been out of baseball since 2007, has said the only thing McNamee ever injected into him was a pain-killer called lidocaine and the vitamin B-12.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
There goes his HOF chances, if he ever had any...
Old 08-19-2010, 01:53 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Official.

WASHINGTON -- A federal grand jury indicted seven-time Cy Young Award winner Roger Clemens on Thursday for allegedly lying to Congress about using steroids.

Clemens faces charges of obstruction of Congress, making false statements and perjury.

The former Major League baseball pitcher and his former trainer, Brian McNamee, testified under oath at a 2008 hearing before a House committee and contradicted each other about whether Clemens had used the banned substances.

McNamee has told federal agents, baseball investigator George Mitchell and the committee that he injected Clemens more than a dozen times with steroids and human growth hormone from 1998 to 2001.

Clemens has maintained that McNamee was lying.

Clemens' lawyer, Rusty Hardin, said by telephone from Houston that he had just learned of the indictment and would wait to decide whether to comment.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:13 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Didn't Billy lie to Congress and they didn't care?
Old 08-19-2010, 02:34 PM
Senior Moderator

@ Clemroids...
Old 08-19-2010, 02:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,143 Posts
meh, I'm glad our court system has time to waste on this.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:37 AM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
What would be the penalty if he's found guilty I wonder?
Old 08-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Scottman111
What would be the penalty if he's found guilty I wonder?
$1.5M fine and jail time...
Old 08-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator

So, in other words, he's a prime candidate to be signed by the Bengirls. I'm sure Clemroids won't mind putting on some pads and a helmet.

He's ballooned to a size big enough to be a linebacker.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:31 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
So, in other words, he's a prime candidate to be signed by the Bengirls. I'm sure Clemroids won't mind putting on some pads and a helmet.

He's ballooned to a size big enough to be a linebacker.
Your Cubs and Sox could use his help more than us
Old 08-20-2010, 02:53 PM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by doopstr
meh, I'm glad our court system has time to waste on this.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:04 AM
all work and no play

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
while its amusing to see this arrogant asswipe go down, I think its absurd that CONGRESS is involved in matters pertaining to sports in the first place.

Economy's in the toilet....lets waste more time and money on baseball?

and while he may be a modern day jackass....man was he the shit in the 80's
Old 08-23-2010, 11:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MWalsh9152
while its amusing to see this arrogant asswipe go down, I think its absurd that CONGRESS is involved in matters pertaining to sports in the first place.

Economy's in the toilet....lets waste more time and money on baseball?

and while he may be a modern day jackass....man was he the cheating and piece of shit in the 80's
Fixed.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:51 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
He's most likely going to do some time.

The question is...how much?