Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

MLB: Canseco shocked A-Rod not in Mitchell Report

Old 12-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,773 Likes on 13,967 Posts
MLB: Canseco shocked A-Rod not in Mitchell Report

From ESPN...

NEW YORK -- When Jose Canseco tried to get into the Mitchell report news conference Thursday, the man mentioned most often in those 409 pages wasn't welcome.

Major League Baseball officials refused to let him in, saying it was a "media only" event.

The former Oakland Athletics slugger didn't force the issue and was unimpressed with what he heard of the report.

"It's a slap on the hand," he told Fox Business Network. "The report proved nothing. It just proved what we already knew."

Canseco's name appears 105 times in the Mitchell report, more than that of Barry Bonds (103) or Roger Clemens (82). In all, the 409-page report identified 86 names to differing degrees, but Clemens clearly was the symbol.

"I saw the list of players, and there are definitely a lot of players missing," he told Fox Business Network. "I don't know what they accomplished or what they are trying to prove."

Prodded further about players not included, Canseco said this of Alex Rodriguez: "All I can say is the Mitchell Report is incomplete. I could not believe that his name was not in the report."

Canseco was one of the first to admit using steroids in his 2005 book "Juiced." There, he gave specific names of other players who allegedly used, including teammate Mark McGwire.

In Mitchell's report, Canseco is reported as the first target of public speculation about steroids in baseball. In 1988, Washington Post writer Thomas Boswell claimed Canseco was "the most conspicuous example of a player who has made himself great with steroids."

Canseco, coming off the first 40 home run-40 steal season in baseball history, denied using steroids at the time. He won the MVP award that year.

He changed his tune in his book, in which he recounts his use of anabolic steroids and human growth hormone, and claimed widespread use throughout the league.

According to Mitchell's report, former Oakland manager Tony La Russa told "60 Minutes" in 2005 that Canseco used to laugh about how other players were spending time in the gym, and how he didn't have to, because he was doing the other 'helper.'

"You know, the easy way," La Russa had said.

Dave McKay, an Oakland coach from 1984 to 1995, told the Toronto Sun at the time: "We had one guy who talked about steroids and that was Jose. ... The most common question I was asked was: 'I won't get too big, will I?"'

When interviewed in connection with the report, however, La Russa and McKay said they had no direct knowledge Canseco used steroids.

After Canseco's book came out, he and McGwire were among the players subpoenaed to appear before the House Committee on Government Reform. McGwire refused to answer specific questions.

In the course of the Mitchell investigation, a number of people who knew McGwire were interviewed. No one other than Canseco alleged use by McGwire.

Barry Bonds, already under indictment on charges of lying to a federal grand jury about steroids, Miguel Tejada and Andy Pettitte also showed up in the Mitchell report. Others include 2003 Cy Young winner Eric Gagne and 2000 AL MVP Jason Giambi.

There were also lesser-known players named, like outfielder F.P. Santangelo. Now a morning radio host in Sacramento, Santangelo was named in the report as a user of performance-enhancing drugs.

In an interview with the Sacramento Bee, he said he took human growth hormone but denied using Deca-Durabolin, an anabolic steroid, and testosterone, which the report claimed he did.

"I don't know where that came from," said Santangelo, who played from 1995 to 2001 with Montreal, San Francisco, the Dodgers and Oakland. "I never did any of that.

"But I did growth hormones. I was at a point of my career when I took it -- twice -- because I panicked. I didn't want my career to end. I can't justify it and say it was right, because cheating is wrong, but I admit, I did it."
Roh-oh for A-Wad!
Old 12-14-2007, 04:06 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
I was suprised he wasn't on either But as mentioned, there were a lot of obvious names left off the list. I really think the report produced nothing no one didn't already know

I also love how people think you take steroids that you don't have to continue working out
Old 12-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Keeping emos out of

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CLpower
I was suprised he wasn't on either But as mentioned, there were a lot of obvious names left off the list. I really think the report produced nothing no one didn't already know

I also love how people think you take steroids that you don't have to continue working out
Give me an example of the obvious names. I for one think that Kenny Rogers was a juicer, given his temper tantrums. I also wondered about Albert Pujols.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by goose25
Give me an example of the obvious names. I for one think that Kenny Rogers was a juicer, given his temper tantrums. I also wondered about Albert Pujols.
Sosa?
Old 12-14-2007, 04:58 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
what's funny is how guys who have been busted in the past weren't included
Old 12-14-2007, 05:03 PM
Senior Moderator

We really need more moments where we have players finger-wag about not taking steroids only to be owned a few weeks later.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
while i don't approve of drug use at all i think it's beyond ridiculous that players are naming other players. what business is it of canseco? he is just bitter because he couldn't control himself and got jacked out of his mind. imo i think a lot of players in general just trust their personal trainers and if they tell them they are giving them a shot for pain, their going to believe it without much questions. steroids in general are used to reduce inflammation. so where do you draw the line of medical use and using it to get result at bigger muscles?
Old 12-17-2007, 10:07 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i heard on the radio that conseco was waiting outside the mitchell press conference because he couldn't get in.

he wanted to get in but was denied since he wasn't a member of the press. :shakehead
Old 12-23-2007, 03:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Well, what I'm interested about is...if A-Rod is so outraged about the accusations lately, why won't he sue?

After all, I think Canceco alluded to the guy using flaxseed stuff in his book too, right? I mean, if you're innocent, then you should sue, no?

<---- Smells a rat with A-Wad...