Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

MLB: 2011 Off-Season News and Discussion Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 07:45 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Originally Posted by Doom878
I like the Pujols to the Angels since he can DH when he can't infield anymore. So now what happens with Prince?
I think you'll see a mini bidding war between Miami, Chicago and St. Louis, with the Marlins tapping out first.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:50 AM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
I think you'll see a mini bidding war between Miami, Chicago and St. Louis, with the Marlins tapping out first.
I think that Chicago wants to rebuild, but if I were them I would go after Fielder for a 5 year deal. That division without Pujols and with no Fielder in Milwaukee is up for grabs. If the Cubs get him I think they stand a good chance of winning the NL Central.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
They will pay Pujols his salary with the money they make on jerseys with his name on them.
Not to mention the new TV deal they have coming.

Pujols made the right decision. It would have been nice to see him play for the Cards for his entire career but if he signed a 10 year deal with the Cards he would be a good player for 4 and a decent player for 2 and the last 3-4 years would be a waste.

Now he can DH and extend his career. I don't think it was all about money. I think in the back of his mind he knows that he would suck at the end of that 10 years and this is one way to extend his usefulness. 3 letters - EGO.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:58 AM
Team Owner

I think the appropriate phrasing would be the Mets took Ramon Ramirez from the Giants for that nightmare Pagan.
I'm with you on that.

I just hope that they keep Wright, Davis, Gee and Neise (maybe). I keep hearing that Davis may be traded and it makes no sense to me why they would move him. He has a chance to hit 25-30 and drive in more than 100 runs a season. And he is young. Why trade him?

In 2 years they will have another $40 million off the books. Alderson keeps saying that they are not rebuilding, but reallocating. Why "reallocate" guys that are young and not making any money for minor league prospects?

Last edited by RaviNJCLs; 12-09-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,777 Likes on 13,968 Posts
Thumbs down MVP Braun Tests Positive for Doping

Good job.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,4755421.story
Old 12-10-2011, 11:22 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,261 Likes on 4,875 Posts
Just read about that about an hour ago.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Lt. Gamble

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts
Kemp may not get the accolade, but we all know who the real MVP is now.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:35 AM
i-vtec soo good

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
what a charlatan.

I hope he is clean, but it wont surprise me if he isn't.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:36 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SirBLaughs
what a charlatan.

I hope he is clean, but it wont surprise me if he isn't.

I really want to feel good about supporting some of these players and then something like this comes out. WTF. I really hope he is clean but would not be surprised if he wasn't.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:42 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
I'm with you on that.

I just hope that they keep Wright, Davis, Gee and Neise (maybe). I keep hearing that Davis may be traded and it makes no sense to me why they would move him. He has a chance to hit 25-30 and drive in more than 100 runs a season. And he is young. Why trade him?

In 2 years they will have another $40 million off the books. Alderson keeps saying that they are not rebuilding, but reallocating. Why "reallocate" guys that are young and not making any money for minor league prospects?
The only thing I can think of with Davis is they know more than we do about his injury and it might be smart to try to get what they can for him before the injury starts having an effect on his performance.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:46 PM
My Garage

I really want to feel good about supporting some of these players and then something like this comes out. WTF. I really hope he is clean but would not be surprised if he wasn't.
Too many fans out there are like Yumchah. They idolize these players that they think are clean. Make them out in their own heads to be heroes and legends. They forget that they are just people and this is a business.

Guys like Thome, Frank Thomas, ect. These are the guys that people want to believe are clean, but the truth is most of these guys probably are not. They want to make the money, just like anyone else and if there is a substance that will be the difference between a 10 million dollar contract and 2 million dollar one, they are taking that substance and I would too.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Team Owner

The only thing I can think of with Davis is they know more than we do about his injury and it might be smart to try to get what they can for him before the injury starts having an effect on his performance.
I guess. But unless they discovered something really bad I'm not sure why they would. Plus his trade value can't be too high right now because of the injury. I really like his approach and make up. I can see him being a 30/100 guy.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:14 PM
My Garage

I guess. But unless they discovered something really bad I'm not sure why they would. Plus his trade value can't be too high right now because of the injury. I really like his approach and make up. I can see him being a 30/100 guy.
Personally, I think they should offer him to the Marlins for Hanley. They want to get rid of Hanley because he is refusing to play any other position besides shortstop. I'd make that trade in a heartbeat.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Team Owner

Personally, I think they should offer him to the Marlins for Hanley. They want to get rid of Hanley because he is refusing to play any other position besides shortstop. I'd make that trade in a heartbeat.
I agree. I would make that trade as well. It will open up a position for Murphy. If only that guy could play some consistent defense.

Unfortunately, I thought the idea is to trade Ike and/or Neise for prospects.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:45 AM
i-vtec soo good

ahhh yes hot stove baseball I love it!

rant on\

I'd take Hanley in a heartbeat. He can play SS for the Mets and hit cleanup. I remember his rant about how he wants to retire as a Marlin and be in the HOF and trumping Jeff Conine as Mr.Marlin. He's got a huge ego and also a huge talent. I think he would be perfect for NYC. He can get attention here because he is one of the better SS's in all of the game.

I read teams are interested in Daniel Murphy. The Dodgers were pushing to get him. I say, trade him while his stock is level.

As for Ike Davis, I think we should hold on to him and see how he fairs for the 2012 season. He's the only player that has hit a HR past and over the Shea Bridge into the upper deck seats(i think Adam Dunn got close). Besides, he reminds me a lot of John Olerud(defense).
I have a strong/silly feeling that during the summer of 2012, a lot of players on the Mets will get shipped out. Just in time for the all-star game at Citifield 2013 right?

...and where is Carlos Beltran going to play next season? (maybe a possible return to Queens?)

and I HATE the new dimensions at Citifield.

/rant off
Old 12-12-2011, 07:13 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
Supposedly there are discussions to move Hanley but supposedly they debunked the whole thing about him not playing 3B. I don't see the Marlins putting themselves in a position where they have to move Hanley by Spring Training. They love controlling their roster which is why they don't do no-trade clauses.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Team Owner

Supposedly there are discussions to move Hanley but supposedly they debunked the whole thing about him not playing 3B. I don't see the Marlins putting themselves in a position where they have to move Hanley by Spring Training. They love controlling their roster which is why they don't do no-trade clauses.
My biggest issue with Hanley is that he is a BIG BABY. I would love to see him in Queens but he needs to realize that a team is 25 players, not 1. If he stays with the Marlins I can see him and Ozzie getting into it a couple times early. My guess is that they trade him.

There are a bunch of teams that need a good short stop:

Mets
Brewers
Giants
Philly - I doubt this one will happen because they think they can beat Philly.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:46 AM
Banned

I don't know if I'd want Han-me on my team either. Dude has skills, but absolutely no drive.

I wonder who the Braves will get to support our newest rook. A-Gone to the Brewers.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:48 AM
Team Owner

ahhh yes hot stove baseball I love it!

rant on\

I'd take Hanley in a heartbeat. He can play SS for the Mets and hit cleanup. I remember his rant about how he wants to retire as a Marlin and be in the HOF and trumping Jeff Conine as Mr.Marlin. He's got a huge ego and also a huge talent. I think he would be perfect for NYC. He can get attention here because he is one of the better SS's in all of the game.

I read teams are interested in Daniel Murphy. The Dodgers were pushing to get him. I say, trade him while his stock is level.

As for Ike Davis, I think we should hold on to him and see how he fairs for the 2012 season. He's the only player that has hit a HR past and over the Shea Bridge into the upper deck seats(i think Adam Dunn got close). Besides, he reminds me a lot of John Olerud(defense).
I have a strong/silly feeling that during the summer of 2012, a lot of players on the Mets will get shipped out. Just in time for the all-star game at Citifield 2013 right?

...and where is Carlos Beltran going to play next season? (maybe a possible return to Queens?)

and I HATE the new dimensions at Citifield.

/rant off
I agree with most of what you said. I like some of the changes to the dimensions.

I have a feeling though that they are going to keep Murphy. I just think that they are going to trade Wright by the middle of the season and Murphy played best at 3rd.

I agree with you on Ike. In the short time he played he has shown an above average arm at 1st and above average power. And right now his stock is down.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:59 AM
Team Owner

I don't know if I'd want Han-me on my team either. Dude has skills, but absolutely no drive.

I wonder who the Braves will get to support our newest rook. A-Gone to the Brewers.
I don't see the Braves doing much. Not sure why they are shopping Prado and Jurrjens unless they know something the rest of us don't. We'll trade you Jason Bay for Prado.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:03 AM
Banned

I don't see the Braves doing much. Not sure why they are shopping Prado and Jurrjens unless they know something the rest of us don't. We'll trade you Jason Bay for Prado.
Jurrjens has possible (possible) knee issues, but the bigger concern is Boras. We historically don't give his clients contracts. Plus, we have a gluttony of young pitching that we need to do something with. I think we have 4 pitchers who are ready who don't have spots this year. Our pitching, if it stays healthy, is good for the next ten years.

As for Prado, some wonder if he's suitable for an everyday role, especially one where it is traditionally a power-oriented position. As a super-utility/fill-in, he was awesome for us. Last year was a disappointment, and we're looking for more offense. With Bourn and Heyward (assuming he works on the massive hole in his swing), LF is the only position we have where we could add someone.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Team Owner

The Braves has always been good at gauging pitching prospects. Imagine if they didn't re-acquire Tom Glavine. They would have had a chance to draft Davis instead of the Mets.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:29 AM
i-vtec soo good

The Braves are psychic when gauging pitching. They always know who to get, and when to let pitching go. And they always get rookie of the year players. Amazing.

---

Doesn't matter anyway my Mets still can't beat the Braves at house of horrors aka Turner Field: http://www.ultimatemets.com/parks.php?ThisPark=36

MLB has changed and there are a lot of solid teams competing for the pennant now. And the dual wildcard system is brilliant, imo. NL east I say is still Philadelphia. I'm sure Rollins will be back there playing SS and leading off. Then again, I could also imagine seeing Hanley Ramirez playing there too. The Phillies are sik like that. Excellent management there with Ruben Amaro.

And to the Padres fans: good luck with Omar Minaya. LAUGH OUT LOUD

Old 12-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Team Owner

What do you all think about Cespedes? Where do you think he will end up? I think he has really good upside for very little money when you really think about it. He will probably cost about $30-35 million for 4 years. If he hits then that is a bargain. If he doesn't then you slightly over paid for a good center-fielder.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Team Owner

Coincidentally Hanley was training with Miggy Cabrera a couple of weeks ago. Another asshole talented player that we traded. Look what happened there. :shakehead
Old 12-12-2011, 01:15 PM
My Garage

Coincidentally Hanley was training with Miggy Cabrera a couple of weeks ago. Another asshole talented player that we traded. Look what happened there. :shakehead
Yea, Maybin didn't really work out well for you, huh?
Old 12-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Team Owner

South Beach really screws you up.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Banned

Is 'training' code for 'downing lots of alcohol?'
Old 12-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Team Owner

Is 'training' code for 'downing lots of alcohol?'
If that's the case then I train after my soccer games on Thursdays.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Banned

Old 12-12-2011, 07:33 PM
My Garage

Pujols' wife mad at God over Cardinals' contract offer

What a psychotic bitch...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/73...ouis-cardinals

Albert Pujols' wife Diedre, in an interview with a radio station with ties to the former St. Louis Cardinals slugger, said the couple was prepared to take less money to stay in St. Louis, but were greatly disappointed when the team initially offered him a five-year deal.

Thursday, Albert Pujols signed a 10-year, $254 million offer with the Los Angeles Angels that contained no deferred money, as well as a 10-year personal services contract following that deal. The Cardinals' last offer to Pujols was for 10 years and $210 million, with $30 million deferred.

"The offer that people have seen on television I want to tell you what, listeners especially, had that offer been given to us with a guarantee, we would have the (Cardinals) bird on our back," Diedre Pujols told 99.1 Joy FM, a St. Louis-area Christian station that received some of its initial funding from Albert Pujols.

Diedre Pujols, speaking with interviewer Sandi Brown, who is her friend, said the couple initially had no plans to ever leave St. Louis or the Cardinals, the only team the first baseman had ever played for.

"When it all came down, I was mad. I was mad at God because I felt like all the signs that had been being played out through the baseball field, our foundation, our restaurant, the Down Syndrome Center, my relationships, my home, my family close," Diedre Pujols told the station. "I mean, we had no reason, not one reason, to want to leave. People were deceived by the numbers."

She indicated the key moment was the Cardinals' initial offer of five years and $130 million.

"When you have somebody say 'We want you to be a Cardinal for life' and only offer you a five-year deal, it kind of confused us," Diedre Pujols said. "Well, we got over that insult and felt like Albert had given so much of himself to baseball and into the community ... we didn't want to go through this again."

Diedre Pujols told the station the negative reaction in St. Louis over her husband's decision to sign with the Angels has been striking.

"Albert has never lied. People are like 'Oh, we thought we knew who he was.' Well, we thought we knew who they were," she told the station.

"The city of St. Louis has absolutely been deceived and I have never seen hatred spread so fast and I understand why," she added. "Let me say that Albert and I never, not one time, ever made plans to leave this city."

Diedre Pujols also said she had no ill will toward the Cardinals or owner Bill DeWitt and that she understands the fans' frustration with her husband's decision.

"It's just like God," she said at the end of the interview, "to put us on a team called the Angels."
Old 12-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,261 Likes on 4,875 Posts
Old 12-13-2011, 07:04 AM
Team Owner

He was a nice guy. Not as much as a prick as Miggy. Nice guys finish last here.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:04 AM
i-vtec soo good

^Maybin is a pretty good centerfielder. I wouldn't mind him in patrolling center at Citi He'll eventually be a better hitter, he's only 24.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Team Owner

Phillies trade Francisco....

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

And sign Dontrelle....

If they can get Willis to be able to pitch again, it would be a great deal.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:46 AM
My Garage

Phillies trade Francisco....

And sign Dontrelle....

If they can get Willis to be able to pitch again, it would be a great deal.
If only I had a dollar for every time a team thinks they can fix Dontrelle.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,777 Likes on 13,968 Posts
@ Pujols' wife...
Old 12-13-2011, 11:51 AM
Team Owner

^Maybin is a pretty good centerfielder. I wouldn't mind him in patrolling center at Citi He'll eventually be a better hitter, he's only 24.
To be honest I would take him even with the hitting he has now. He young and plays a more defensive position. I can live with less offensive output from center field or shortstop.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Team Owner

If only I had a dollar for every time a team thinks they can fix Dontrelle.
Yeh, but if one of them actually does then he would pay off big time.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:33 PM
Team Owner

I agree he improved when he left here. He wasn't good here though thus my crack on nice guys. Migs and Hans were studs here.

Quick Reply: MLB: 2011 Off-Season News and Discussion Thread