Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

MLB: 2010 Season Discussion Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 05:07 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Nine in a row, baby. Life is good.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:57 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
i actually didn't hate the yankees until they bought a-rod. the biggest douche to ever play the game
Old 06-04-2010, 08:10 AM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
Originally Posted by subinf
Actually Tim McCarver is the absolute worst. I can't stand him.
The guys that announce for the Nationals are the most biased announcers EVER. I hate them. I get to watch the Mets if they are playing the Phils or the Nats and when they play the Nats, I almost want to mute the TV.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:18 AM
Super Car Enthusiast

Received 190 Likes on 91 Posts

Old 06-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,315 Likes on 968 Posts
Thanks for the edit Ravi.

I support the cap because it helps to level the playing field for player salaries. But there's no cap in scouting spending, research, coaching/managerial, stadium, etc. I totally give the Yanks credit for their championship and think it's BS when they "bought" their championships. And this is coming from a Marlins fan. Our stadium is empty and we're always at the bottom of payroll, yet we always compete. MLB bitched us out in our spending. We only got like 2 guys signed till 2012 when the stadium opens. The Marlins 03 championship wasn't won with a lot of free agents. Plus they WILL fire Fredi if we don't make the playoffs. Maybe we could've made the playoffs the year Manny got traded or the year ARod got traded. That's why I support the cap. I'm pretty sure though with a cap the Pirates would still suck though.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Team Owner

^^^^

The problem is if you do institute a cap, what is to stop the ownership of teams like the Pirates, the Marlins or Royals from actually spending money. It just prevents teams like the Yanks, Mets, Red Sox, Phils from over spending. I think some teams will still just spend enough to get 25 plays on a team. And the fans of those teams are the same ones that will complain about other teams spending money.

Some of these teams have shown that they don't care to spend. The amount of money in Luxury Tax alone is enough to help the Pirates and the ownership of that team would rather pocket the cash.

The bigger issue is greed. If the players want more money then there is someone out there that will pay it. I think if there is a cap, then a lot of hard working players will get screwed because the team needs to pay one superstar. The other option is to have a cap that is so outrageous that it really will only prevent excessive over-spending and that will only affect a handful of teams.

Look at the teams that have won or competed in the world series in that last 10 years a lot of them were not just the high market teams.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:07 AM
Team Owner

Orioles Fire Manager.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/print.jsp?ym...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Trembley dismissed; Samuel in as interim

Orioles make change with team owning MLB's worst record
<script type="text/javascript"> function loadRelatedMedia(club,total) { var datasource = (club=='mlb') ? "/gen/mlb/components/multimedia/highlights.xml" : "/gen/" + club + "/components/multimedia/topvideos.xml"; $.ajax({ url : datasource, type : "GET", async : false, cache : true, dataType : "xml", error : function(request, errorType, errorThrown){ // handle error }, success : function(relatedMedia){ var relatedMediaItem, relatedMediaItemTopic; $('MLB Video

').appendTo('#article_media_related'); $(relatedMedia).find('item:lt('+total+')').each(fu nction(){ var content_id = $(this).find("meta").attr("content_id"); var topic_id = $(this).find("meta").attr("topic_id"); var content_title = $(this).find("title").text(); var content_thumb = $(this).find("picture[type='small-text-graphic']").find("url").text(); relatedMediaItem = $('
'); relatedMediaItemTopic = (topic_id!='') ? '&topic_id='+topic_id : ''; relatedMediaItem.append(''); relatedMediaItem.append(''); relatedMediaItem.append(''+content_title+'
'); relatedMediaItem.appendTo('#article_media_related ul'); }); } }); } </script>
By Brittany Ghiroli / MLB.com

06/04/10 9:40 AM ET

NEW YORK -- Dave Trembley's time as Orioles manager is over. Trembley was dismissed on Friday, the club announced, and was replaced immediately by Juan Samuel, who was promoted from third base coach to interim manager.

Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail met with Trembley on Thursday, and the decision was formally revealed on Friday morning. The move came on the heels of a winless six-game road trip -- series sweeps in Toronto and New York -- and at a time when the last-place O's have a Major League-worst record of 15-39.

MacPhail is expected to start immediately on his search for a long-term successor to Trembley. Samuel will be the club's ninth manager since Peter Angelos became the principal owner of the Orioles in August 1993. Triple-A Norfolk manager Gary Allenson was named third base coach.

Hired for his extensive Minor League work and emphasis on fundamentals, Trembley was given a chance to help develop and nurture Baltimore's growing young talent the past 2 1/2 seasons. But MacPhail made it clear this spring that Trembley would be judged on wins and losses, calling 2010 "Phase 2" of the organization's rebuilding plan.

Instead, the O's have sputtered, winning two of their 18 series and scoring a Major League-low 177 runs in 53 games.
After spending 20 years managing in the Minor Leagues, Trembley was named the O's bullpen coach in 2007 and was given the managerial reins on an interim basis when Sam Perlozzo was dismissed on June 18. When Trembley took over, the O's were in last place in the AL East, with a record of 29-40.

Current Yankees skipper Joe Girardi turned down the job, and Trembley was given an extended chance to manage, with the organization dropping the interim tag on Aug. 22, 2007, and awarding Trembley a contract for 2008 and an option for '09. Trembley became just the seventh man in modern baseball history to manage in the Majors without having played professional baseball at any level. He leaves the Orioles with a career managerial record of 187-282.

Samuel is a former three-time National League All-Star whose Major League career spanned 16 years. He is in his fourth year on the Orioles staff; prior to that, he was manager of the Double-A Binghamton Mets in 2006. Samuel led the B-Mets to a second-place finish and a 70-69 record. After retiring as a player, he coached first base for the Detroit Tigers in 1999 and moved into the third-base role for the Orioles four games into the 2002 season.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
^^^^

The problem is if you do institute a cap, what is to stop the ownership of teams like the Pirates, the Marlins or Royals from actually spending money. It just prevents teams like the Yanks, Mets, Red Sox, Phils from over spending. I think some teams will still just spend enough to get 25 plays on a team. And the fans of those teams are the same ones that will complain about other teams spending money.

Some of these teams have shown that they don't care to spend. The amount of money in Luxury Tax alone is enough to help the Pirates and the ownership of that team would rather pocket the cash.

The bigger issue is greed. If the players want more money then there is someone out there that will pay it. I think if there is a cap, then a lot of hard working players will get screwed because the team needs to pay one superstar. The other option is to have a cap that is so outrageous that it really will only prevent excessive over-spending and that will only affect a handful of teams.

Look at the teams that have won or competed in the world series in that last 10 years a lot of them were not just the high market teams.
Exactly.

A cap would be nice, but it has to be structured properly. It's definitely not the sole answer to competitive balance in MLB. A lot of teams are just run poorly and don't want to spend money and compete. For a cap to work, I think there has to be both a hard cap and spending floor. Too many owners are just pocketing their share of the luxury tax and revenue sharing.

The league and many of it's franchises need to be run better.
If you really want parity, teams need to develop young talent in their farm system, and the MLB should shorten the regular season, open up the playoffs to more teams like other professional sports.

There are several teams like the Marlins, Rays and Twins that have proven that you don't need a huge payroll to be successful.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
When Johhny Damon returned to Fenway as a Yankee, he had bottles thrown at him. When Tino Martinez returned to Yankee Stadium as a Cardinal, the fans gave him a standing ovation.

So you hate Yankee fans, because, we are arrogant? Well if your team won 5 World Series in the last 15 years, wouldn't you be a bit arrogant? We as fans expect our team to win every game. I understand not every team has this ability or the same expectations. But that is our expectations. This is New York, expectations are high, arrogance is high (believe it or not, even outside of baseball), but you can't say those things make them the worst fans on the planet? We may be loud and support our team to the death, but at least we show some class.

I seem to remember a 2004 and 2007 World Series, when Boston fans began to riot in the streets. Keep it classy Boston.

When the Phillies won the world series in 2008, you guessed it, riots in the streets. Keep it classy Philly.

If the above is something you are proud of, I'll gladly claim to be the 'worst fan in sports' as a Yankee fan. Enjoy your day.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,465 Likes on 4,982 Posts
Im honestly surprised it took this long.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Banned

^^ Exhibit B
Old 06-04-2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
^^ Exhibit B
CleanCL or me?
Old 06-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Banned

Not you.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Team Owner

I believe caps come with spending floors.

As for Clean, I don't think Cochese is upset with Cabrio because the Yanks are good or bad. I think it's because when you argue with a fan and his team's performance is overexaggerated by that fan, when he's called on his perceived BS, the fan retaliates with old (meaning prior to this season) success. For example, if a Rays fan were to come on here touting his team's record, he may be offended if a Sox or Yankee fan comes on and says "well your team sucks because we won X rings in the last X years". The Rays fan won't hate the team or fan for being good. He'll just hate the fan's argument methodology.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Doom878

As for Clean, I don't think Cochese is upset with Cabrio because the Yanks are good or bad. I think it's because when you argue with a fan and his team's performance is overexaggerated by that fan, when he's called on his perceived BS, the fan retaliates with old (meaning prior to this season) success. For example, if a Rays fan were to come on here touting his team's record, he may be offended if a Sox or Yankee fan comes on and says "well your team sucks because we won X rings in the last X years". The Rays fan won't hate the team or fan for being good. He'll just hate the fan's argument methodology.

And, I mean, it's one thing to talk about it every once in awhile. Hell, I was guilty of it a couple times after we won 'one for the thumb.' But it's like tourette's with some Yankees fans.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

But doesn't every fan over-exaggerate the performance of a team their rooting for and against?

I get the whole "27 times" thing. That's stale, and if they don't win today and tomorrow, I really don't care what they did yesterday.

But I think Cabrio's response is to the inane "Yankees Suck" line. I mean it's a simple line, but has no founding argument either. It's part of sports, let alone baseball. It's really more of a rhetorical thing. The reality is, at this point in time, the Yankees certainly do not suck. Neither does Boston. Neither does Tampa. So I would not go and say either of them suck. When the Yankees didn't make it into the playoffs in 2008, I said they sucked, because they did.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Banned

Chipper sucks.

Yet he's a first-ballot HOF. Past performance doesn't mean dick when it comes to the right here, right now.

Plus, it's an opinion. Opinions are based more on emotion than fact. I can't even believe I had to explain that.

Braves suck. See?
Old 06-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CleanCL
But doesn't every fan over-exaggerate the performance of a team their rooting for and against?

I get the whole "27 times" thing. That's stale, and if they don't win today and tomorrow, I really don't care what they did yesterday.

But I think Cabrio's response is to the inane "Yankees Suck" line. I mean it's a simple line, but has no founding argument either. It's part of sports, let alone baseball. It's really more of a rhetorical thing. The reality is, at this point in time, the Yankees certainly do not suck. Neither does Boston. Neither does Tampa. So I would not go and say either of them suck. When the Yankees didn't make it into the playoffs in 2008, I said they sucked, because they did.
Yes as a fan you are allowed to say whatever you want about your team. And an argument always has different points of view. You guys have every right to argue. Some fans may factor in the last 27 titles as opposed to the last 27 days. There's no right or wrong. It's why I don't argue with Jets fans about who's better. We can go back and forth that they lost to us 3 times in a row or that they went to the AFC Championship game. Nobody's right but it's just something people do.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:38 PM

Chipper sucks.

Yet he's a first-ballot HOF. Past performance doesn't mean dick when it comes to the right here, right now.

Plus, it's an opinion. Opinions are based more on emotion than fact. I can't even believe I had to explain that.

Braves suck. See?
Concur. They took our Melk-man and gave us Javy

One of the many unpopular moves by Cashman. But w/e.

Yes as a fan you are allowed to say whatever you want about your team. And an argument always has different points of view. You guys have every right to argue. Some fans may factor in the last 27 titles as opposed to the last 27 days. There's no right or wrong. It's why I don't argue with Jets fans about who's better. We can go back and forth that they lost to us 3 times in a row or that they went to the AFC Championship game. Nobody's right but it's just something people do.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:42 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Melky sucks
Old 06-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Nine in a row, baby. Life is good.
Most bi-polar team in the league. Impressive if they can keep it up on the road.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Melky sucks
Yea, this year he sucks. Javy is starting to turn it around, but Id like to see what he can do against the Angels, Rays or Red Sox.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Team Owner

Chipper sucks.

Braves suck. See?
I should hate the Braves for all the grief they have given to the METS and the NL East for 14 years. The truth is that they have always had a good organization. I think Cox is a really good manager, but he lacks something that allows them to be more successful in the post season.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:00 AM
i-vtec soo good

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The Braves were such a pain against the Mets and even until today, the Mets cannot buy a win at Turner field. House of horrors.

I remember the 98 playoffs when the Braves had already clinched like a week ago and they were playing the Mets the last game of the season. The Mets needed just 1 more win for the wild card and Bobby Cox unleashes his FULL squad against the Mets so they couldn't get in the playoffs when he rested them all throughout the week. THAT i will never forget about him but other than that noise, he's gets my nod for respect. No other manager got tossed out of ballgames more than him lol!
Old 06-05-2010, 02:54 PM
My Garage

Chipper named his son Shea
Old 06-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Barry Larkin named his daughter Brielle D’Shea
Old 06-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Banned

I should hate the Braves for all the grief they have given to the METS and the NL East for 14 years. The truth is that they have always had a good organization. I think Cox is a really good manager, but he lacks something that allows them to be more successful in the post season.
Originally Posted by SirBLaughs
The Braves were such a pain against the Mets and even until today, the Mets cannot buy a win at Turner field. House of horrors.

I remember the 98 playoffs when the Braves had already clinched like a week ago and they were playing the Mets the last game of the season. The Mets needed just 1 more win for the wild card and Bobby Cox unleashes his FULL squad against the Mets so they couldn't get in the playoffs when he rested them all throughout the week. THAT i will never forget about him but other than that noise, he's gets my nod for respect. No other manager got tossed out of ballgames more than him lol!
Very classy, gents. Much appreciated.

I will always have a deep-seated detestation for the Mets, but I do wish they'd return to form for some epic NL East battles. I love the rivalry.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:47 AM
i-vtec soo good

Chipper named his son Shea

All time Met-killer.

"LARRY------------LARRY!"

Very classy, gents. Much appreciated.

I will always have a deep-seated detestation for the Mets, but I do wish they'd return to form for some epic NL East battles. I love the rivalry.
We had some good games, a lot of epic games rather against the Braves. A few to recall:

-The return of John Rocker to Shea stadium(I was at that game and 45,000 fans in unison chanting, "FUCK YOU ROCKER" was SIKKKK! of course, he shut us down.

-Robin Ventura's grand slam single in game 5 of the NLCS.

-Kenny"MUTHAFUCKING" Rogers walking in Andruw Jones game 6.

-Mike Piazza's HR the first game after 9-11.

Yah, the Braves crushed my heart many, many times during the late 90s. But you know what? that's baseball. True happiness and true sadness is only experienced at a baseball game. -Wiseman who pays $6.50 for a bottle of beer.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:42 AM
My Garage

There is one name us Met fans will never forget on the back of an Atlanta uniform.....Brian Jordan....son of a bitch.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:44 AM
My Garage

The return of John Rocker to Shea stadium(I was at that game and 45,000 fans in unison chanting, "FUCK YOU ROCKER" was SIKKKK! of course, he shut us down.
I was at that game too. I even made the paper in the shot of the Met fans cheering against him the next day.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:46 AM
My Garage

Originally Posted by paz840
Barry Larkin named his daughter Brielle D’Shea
Do you not get the point of Chipper naming his son Shea?
Old 06-06-2010, 02:33 AM
i-vtec soo good

I was at that game too. I even made the paper in the shot of the Met fans cheering against him the next day.
W00t! that was last minute we got tickets at the window and was glad to get in...the funny thing was in front of us were British tourist(obviously with the soccer jerseys) and they were stunned on how hardcore baseball fans were chanting and cursing! I told them, we're more mild mannered at Shea stadium but tonight is a special occasion.

...i do miss Shea stadium though. A lot of people do. It was a dump. But it was my dump. lol! lots of memories for me growing up there.

on a side note:
The Mets put Oliver Perez on the DL with some knee problem. Finally he's off the roster so someone else can come up and take his spot.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:29 AM
Team Owner

All time Met-killer.

"LARRY------------LARRY!"

We had some good games, a lot of epic games rather against the Braves. A few to recall:

-The return of John Rocker to Shea stadium(I was at that game and 45,000 fans in unison chanting, "FUCK YOU ROCKER" was SIKKKK! of course, he shut us down.

-Robin Ventura's grand slam single in game 5 of the NLCS.

-Kenny"MUTHAFUCKING" Rogers walking in Andruw Jones game 6.

-Mike Piazza's HR the first game after 9-11.

Yah, the Braves crushed my heart many, many times during the late 90s. But you know what? that's baseball. True happiness and true sadness is only experienced at a baseball game. -Wiseman who pays $6.50 for a bottle of beer.
You mean single....right?
Old 06-06-2010, 07:32 AM
Team Owner

on a side note:
The Mets put Oliver Perez on the DL with some knee problem. Finally he's off the roster so someone else can come up and take his spot.
I know all METS fans hate Ollie P, but I have seen some of the games he pitched and if he can get his shit together, he really has the nastiest pitches I have seen in a while.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:38 AM
Banned

I know all METS fans hate Ollie P, but I have seen some of the games he pitched and if he can get his shit together, he really has the nastiest pitches I have seen in a while.
When he's on form, he's quite unhittable.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:26 AM
It's the Halladay season!

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts
When he's on form, he's quite unhittable.
I've seen him pitch a handful of times against the Phillies and he has REALLY good stuff. He's too erratic with his pitches though. He throws so damn hard and misses his spot a lot.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:33 AM
It's the Halladay season!

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts
Roy Halladay was presented with the pitching rubber from Marlin's stadium from last Saturday.

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com...08787&c_id=phi
Old 06-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Do you not get the point of Chipper naming his son Shea?
Because he liked playing there, and did well there?
Old 06-06-2010, 11:55 AM
My Garage

Originally Posted by hANDYcaptd
I've seen him pitch a handful of times against the Phillies and he has REALLY good stuff. He's too erratic with his pitches though. He throws so damn hard and misses his spot a lot.
He is one of the nastiest pitchers I've ever seen, too bad he can't be consistent. I was so excited when we traded for him. Although it was a bad situation because the trade happened because we lost Duaner Sanchez and needed some arms.

Side note, if we had Duaner for those playoffs, we would have won the world series in 2006. That fucking cab ride is the embodiment of Met fan misery.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:08 PM
i-vtec soo good

^Barry Bonds said he was the toughest left-hander he's faced.
I think this will be the last of Ollie we'll been seeing unless he acquires glasses or visits a shrink. Either way he gets the last laugh. 36 million last laughs.

You mean single....right?
The players mobbed him at 1st base even though he waved them off lol! I bounced off my couch and yelled across my living room!

Originally Posted by paz840
Because he liked playing there, and did well there?
He didn't like playing at Shea, he LOVED playing at Shea!

.310 19HRs 53RBI in 84 games.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...a_stadium.html

Quick Reply: MLB: 2010 Season Discussion Thread