Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

Manny Ramirez suspended for 50 games for taking drugs.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
Baseball is a joke I don't know why people even bother to watch it anymore? The sport has no credibility and can't be taken serious. All the players cheat and their stats should be erased.
I used to love baseball when I was a kid, I have tried to get back into it for the last 4-5 years, but I just cant let myself do it, like the above poster said, The sport has lost all credibility what so ever...
Old 05-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
Does anyone else wanna just let them go to town on roids and stuff? A sick part of me wants to see an all-roid/PED league, just to see what would happen.
A level playing field. Mandatory steroid injections for all.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Have camera, will travel

Does anyone else wanna just let them go to town on roids and stuff? A sick part of me wants to see an all-roid/PED league, just to see what would happen.
We already saw the results of that scenario.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Happy Holidays!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Here's some interest info on the substance that Manny took:

Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) is a glycoprotein hormone produced in pregnancy that is made by the developing embryo soon after conception and later by the syncytiotrophoblast (part of the placenta). Its role is to prevent the disintegration of the corpus luteum of the ovary and thereby maintain progesterone production that is critical for a pregnancy in humans. hCG may have additional functions; for instance, it is thought that hCG affects the immune tolerance of the pregnancy. Early pregnancy testing, in general, is based on the detection or measurement of hCG. Because hCG is produced also by some kinds of tumor, hCG is an important tumor marker, but it is not known whether this production is a contributing cause or an effect of tumorigenesis.

HCG is a woman's fertility drug, and is very commonly used by steroid abusers.

HCG - Human Chorionic Gonadotropin Use After Anabolic Steroid Cycles for Bodybuilding the most effective way to recover from an anabolic steroid cycle.

Manny, what are you doing with these girly drug? Are you preggo?
Old 05-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
^^^
It's just Manny being Minnie.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:14 PM
A clean ride is in

It's hard to believe, not really. It's still my favorite sport.

At least my Rangers are in 1st place!!
Old 05-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer
Here's some interest info on the substance that Manny took:

Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) is a glycoprotein hormone produced in pregnancy that is made by the developing embryo soon after conception and later by the syncytiotrophoblast (part of the placenta). Its role is to prevent the disintegration of the corpus luteum of the ovary and thereby maintain progesterone production that is critical for a pregnancy in humans. hCG may have additional functions; for instance, it is thought that hCG affects the immune tolerance of the pregnancy. Early pregnancy testing, in general, is based on the detection or measurement of hCG. Because hCG is produced also by some kinds of tumor, hCG is an important tumor marker, but it is not known whether this production is a contributing cause or an effect of tumorigenesis.

HCG is a woman's fertility drug, and is very commonly used by steroid abusers.

HCG - Human Chorionic Gonadotropin Use After Anabolic Steroid Cycles for Bodybuilding the most effective way to recover from an anabolic steroid cycle.

Manny, what are you doing with these girly drug? Are you preggo?
I don't know when this was leaked or if it's even accurate, but the statement that it's a drug commonly used by steroid users is telling. Why else would he use a drug made for pregnant females?

Unbelievable that a guy with that much going for him and that good of a situation would jeopardize it after all that has gone on.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:42 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by waTSX
We already saw the results of that scenario.
I loved it
Old 05-07-2009, 04:47 PM
My Garage

Comparing Henderson, Rodriguez or any other base stealing player is valid. A-Rod is a member of the rare 40-40 club and he has 283 career steals. Base stealing has always been part of his game. The point was is that most base stealers have seen their totals decline as they get further along in their careers, not because of drugs but because of the pounding.

If steroids caused people to run less effectively, then sprinters wouldn't take them.
Are you on drugs? RH has over 1,400 stolen bases to his name. Arod's game is not as a base stealer. There is no comparison between the two.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Are you on drugs? RH has over 1,400 stolen bases to his name. Arod's game is not as a base stealer. There is no comparison between the two.
Yes, I know. I'm not talking about the total number of steals but the decline of steals per year as they aged. Which part of that is not clear? And sorry, when you can steal 40 bases in a season, you are (or were) a base stealer, especially in this era. Couple that with 40+ homers in the same season and you have one of a handful of players in MLB history.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Benchwarmer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the comparison is between the decline in each one's SB totals. A lot of guys who bulked up suddenly saw their SB numbers plummet. Was it bad knees? Or more HR's and less opportunities?
Old 05-07-2009, 04:58 PM
My Garage

Yes, I know. I'm not talking about the total number of steals but the decline of steals per year as they aged. Which part of that is not clear? And sorry, when you can steal 40 bases in a season, you are (or were) a base stealer, especially in this era. Couple that with 40+ homers in the same season and you have one of a handful of players in MLB history.
I agree with you on your decline point.

Other point I could argue, but it's not important to the thread.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Watch the NFL

But yeah, MLB went unpoliced for a very long time... so that is pretty much what you saw in the 90's and even earlier this decade...
Old 05-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
BTW, did anyone hear Canseco's comments on the matter? He brings up some very interesting points...
Old 05-07-2009, 06:20 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
I loved it
so did everyone else...some of the best times for the game
Old 05-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Explains his rotten behavior last season..

Roid Rage FTL
Old 05-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Happy Holidays!

According to ESPN and Stan Conte (the Balco guy) the drug that Manny used is a form of masking agent that steroid users take at the end of a steroid cycle. Don't play around with female preggo drugs, kids.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Baseball's credibility IS down the tubes. This is just another incident in a long line of failures. Whether it's a strike or abuse, baseball has zero credibility. Besides, we pay these players millions of dollars for playing a GAME !!! They don't even play all year long. If I did my "job" like some of these players do their "job", I'd be fired. Speaking of fired, I hope they dock stupid Manny some money during his 50 game suspension.

2009 Kansas City All Acura Meet-May 17th
https://acurazine.com/forums/midwest-312/kansas-city-2009-spring-all-acura-meet-may-17th-12pm-%40-jay-wolfe-acura-714994/
Old 05-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,812 Likes on 13,989 Posts
Old 05-08-2009, 12:41 AM
Happy Holidays!

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Baseball's credibility IS down the tubes. This is just another incident in a long line of failures. Whether it's a strike or abuse, baseball has zero credibility. Besides, we pay these players millions of dollars for playing a GAME !!! They don't even play all year long. If I did my "job" like some of these players do their "job", I'd be fired. Speaking of fired, I hope they dock stupid Manny some money during his 50 game suspension.

2009 Kansas City All Acura Meet-May 17th
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714994
No worries. He'll lose close to $8 mil during the suspension. Smart eh?
Old 05-08-2009, 09:58 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by anarchy[sear]
Remember A-Rod and Barry Bonds use to steal bases all the time but I guess once you start roiding up the face of the game changes.
*cough* andruw jones *cough*

Originally Posted by juniorbean
Right... and I agree with that.

My point is simply that not ALL players are juicing and cheating as Black CL-S said originally. I'm not discussing percentages, ratios or probabilities, just saying that he should not use an absolute like that.

Nope, just a long-time fan. You made an assumption based on no information. I was just pointing it out. Henderson was still stealing bases but at a much lower rate than earlier in his career. Base stealing adds a lot of pounding to your body over a very long season.

Just coming out and saying those guys are stealing fewer bases because of steroids is just dumb. You don't know that.
i agree with waTSX on this.

take a guy like andruw jones, who may be on something. he used to steal lots of bases and was considered a future 40/40 guy. but over the course of his career, he was stealing less and less. why? is it because of whatever he's on? or maybe because towards the end of his atlanta days, he was hitting in the middle of the lineup instead towards the top? is it because he got so fat? or is it because his body took too much of a pounding already from his diving catches.

could be a number of reasons. maybe all of them. but i wouldn't be quick to say steroids is the reason why guys are stealing fewer bases.

I don't know when this was leaked or if it's even accurate, but the statement that it's a drug commonly used by steroid users is telling. Why else would he use a drug made for pregnant females?

Unbelievable that a guy with that much going for him and that good of a situation would jeopardize it after all that has gone on.
mike and mike says maybe he wants to be the octumom.

Originally Posted by juniorbean
BTW, did anyone hear Canseco's comments on the matter? He brings up some very interesting points...
no, what did he say?

but didn't jose call out a-rod, clemens, tejada, and manny? maybe he is right.

manny and smart never really clicked.

on a serious note, i'm disappointed. not shocked. not surprised, even because 1) it gets to a point where who isn't on something, and 2) it's manny.

but i am a bit disappointed because i did regard manny as the best hitter in this generation (post gwynn).

anyways....
Old 05-08-2009, 10:00 AM
My Garage

drop in the bucket for many.

Sad that this guy makes more in 50 games than I will in my lifetime.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Benchwarmer

This guy probably will make more money on the endorsements and the interest while he's on unpaid suspension then you will in your lifetime.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:04 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IlliNorge
This guy probably will make more money on the endorsements and the interest while he's on unpaid suspension then you will in your lifetime.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
And in spite of all of that, the game is more popular than ever, and attendance is way up. The game is bigger than all the crap that goes on, and it will survive because of that. Rumors of baseball's demise are greatly exaggerated.

Yeah, all of the stuff going on sucks, but the game is 135 years old and has survived worse things than this. It will get through this as well.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Have camera, will travel

Yeah, and he's still going to make some $17 million in salary this year. I wouldn't feel too sorry for Manny. And the Dogears scored 9 runs in their first game without him. They are still the class of the division at this point.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Yeah, all of the stuff going on sucks, but the game is 135 years old and has survived worse things than this. It will get through this as well.

Some of you guys really crack me up. Ever heard of the Black Sox?

Sheesh.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:58 AM
My Garage

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL

Some of you guys really crack me up. Ever heard of the Black Sox?

Sheesh.
Terence Mann: "Ray, people will come Ray. They'll come to Iowa for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $20 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the baselines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Ray.

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come."
Old 05-08-2009, 10:59 AM
My Garage

thanks

Old 05-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Have camera, will travel

Lol.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Have camera, will travel

C'mon. Now you're just piling on.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:03 AM
My Garage

Enjoying yourself today, huh squirrel?
Old 05-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Benchwarmer

Enjoying yourself today, huh squirrel?
If you had to watch what the Twins were doing out on the field the past six games, you'd be looking for distractions too.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Have camera, will travel

No worries, they get the Mariners tonight.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Benchwarmer

No worries, they get the Mariners tonight.
Yeah, in a strange twist of scheduling they will play Seattle 7 games at home in the first month. Last night was their last trip to Baltimore all year, which explains why they played through 4 hours of rain delays to not even finish 6 innings Wednesday.

And the crew chief was Randy MARSH.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Have camera, will travel

Yeah, I blame all these scheduling quirks on interleague play. One of my pet peeves. The Giants play the Dodgers for the 7-8-9th times this weekend and it's May 8th. Weird. How did you become a Twinkie fan? Did you live there? I enjoyed their late 80's and early 90's teams. Great clubs and Tom Kelly was a terrific manager.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:31 AM
My Garage

If you had to watch what the Twins were doing out on the field the past six games, you'd be looking for distractions too.
The Mets are playing great ball.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Benchwarmer

Yeah, I blame all these scheduling quirks on interleague play. One of my pet peeves. The Giants play the Dodgers for the 7-8-9th times this weekend and it's May 8th. Weird. How did you become a Twinkie fan? Did you live there? I enjoyed their late 80's and early 90's teams. Great clubs and Tom Kelly was a terrific manager.
I grew up in Minnesota. I saw Game 2 of the '87 WS and never looked back. I'm pretty sure I own the only authentic Kent Hrbek jersey in the state of Illinois. Hrbek and TK are still very involved in the Twin Cities.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Benchwarmer

Santana is playing great ball.
Fixed for maximum pain.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
Man, i guess the only reason why i still watch baseball is to watch people like Griffey Jr. still play. I guess he is still hope of baseball.

Quick Reply: Manny Ramirez suspended for 50 games for taking drugs.