Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

Kobe

Old 03-25-2007, 02:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
Originally Posted by is300eater
catholic
hahaha im there. if i can get up that early.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:19 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by goose25
...and who's fault is it that he's currently playing on some crappy teams? If old #8, er 24 hadn't demanded that Shaq and Phil both go as part of the deal for him resigning with the Lakers then he may have won another ring or two.
Someone's suffering from revisionist history. Jordan was just as poor of a teammate and a "ball hog" that he ran off coach Doug Collins like Kobe ran off Phil Jackson the first time. If Jordan hadn't run off Phil Collins as a coach, he might've won another ring or two as well.

You're delusional if you think Jordan wouldn't have had any ego issues playing alongside a player with Shaq's star power.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kobe is good the closest we've had to the next Jordan, but he's still not at the level of MJ.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:25 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cazzy
As I said in my initial post, this is not a Kobe-MJ comparison. It is not fair to Kobe or Jordan to compare the two. Typically, ignorant haters compare Kobe to MJ because that is their only method to bring him down. You have to put all your feelings aside and judge him as a basketball player, but some people are just too unaware to recognize the greatness of Kobe's game. MJ is the greatest to ever dribble the rock, so THERE WILL NEVER be another Jordan. Kobe is making a name for himself though, which is why at 28, he is virtual lock for the NBA Hall of Fame.

Kobe, a scrub? Maybe as a person off the court. Sure, his off the court persona is far from great, but he works harder than anybody in the league and his performances on the court are far from “scrub status.” I would love to hear you explain how he is a scrub...please enlighten me.
BoostedJack is a moron. Kobe as a basketball player is the best there is in the game today. Hands down. No one is even close. As you stated, Kobe is the one everyone ignorant loves to hate.

If Kobe is a scrub off the court, then Jordan is no better. Jordan was hardly the ideal husband, but only the tabloids were brave enough to venture into his personal life. And what about those gambling issues? If Jordan's life had been covered like Kobe's, everyone would have an entirely different opinion of His Airness.

The level of media scrutiny is not the same today as it was when Jordan was playing the game.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:26 PM
Race Director

The biggest bust of a next Jordan has been Grant Hill and Penny Hardaway
Old 03-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by brianlin87
BoostedJack is a moron. Kobe as a basketball player is the best there is in the game today. Hands down. No one is even close. As you stated, Kobe is the one everyone ignorant loves to hate.

If Kobe is a scrub off the court, then Jordan is no better. Jordan was hardly the ideal husband, but only the tabloids were brave enough to venture into his personal life. And what about those gambling issues? If Jordan's life had been covered like Kobe's, everyone would have an entirely different opinion of His Airness.

The level of media scrutiny is not the same today as it was when Jordan was playing the game.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:55 PM
Keeping emos out of

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're delusional if you think Jordan wouldn't have had any ego issues playing alongside a player with Shaq's star power.
I don't remember making a statement about Jordan's ego, anyway, Jordan probably would have had issues playing with Shaq also, but he never played with a dominant center. Once he figured out what winning was all about after being beaten down by the Pistons he started trusting his teammates and da Bullz really started to roll. Can you say that Kobe, after being in the league all these years, trusts his teammates enough to pass up the last shot, like Jordan did in big-time games? Naw, didn't think so. To compare Kobe to Jordan is like trying to compare Montana to Marino in football, there is no comparison. Kobe, just like Marino, was and still is a damn good player, probably the best active scorer in the Association, but he's really not on the same level as MJ and never will be.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:58 PM
Keeping emos out of

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Kobe is good the closest we've had to the next Jordan, but he's still not at the level of MJ.
You are correct, once #8, er 24 gets three more rings then perhaps a valid comparison can be made.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Keeping emos out of

And what about those gambling issues? If Jordan's life had been covered like Kobe's, everyone would have an entirely different opinion of His Airness.

Those gambling issues only affected Jordan, not anyone else. His gambling was far lesser of an issue than raping some hotel whore and when confronted about it by 5 0 ratting out a teammate. Would jordan have done something that shitty, hells no. Plus Jordan had much respect around the league amongst fellow players can the same be said for Kobe?
Old 03-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Those gambling issues only affected Jordan, not anyone else. His gambling was far lesser of an issue than raping some hotel whore and when confronted about it by 5 0 ratting out a teammate. Would jordan have done something that shitty, hells no. Plus Jordan had much respect around the league amongst fellow players can the same be said for Kobe?
If Kobe was guilty of rape, then OJ really was not guilty. That slut got exactly what she wanted and then decided she wanted to get paid. I think that was evident by her showing up with all of AZ's sperm on her panties!

Him selling out Shaq was bad...I have nothing...it was a piss poor thing to do.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:20 PM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Received 266 Likes on 131 Posts

Old 03-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't remember making a statement about Jordan's ego, anyway, Jordan probably would have had issues playing with Shaq also, but he never played with a dominant center. Once he figured out what winning was all about after being beaten down by the Pistons he started trusting his teammates and da Bullz really started to roll. Can you say that Kobe, after being in the league all these years, trusts his teammates enough to pass up the last shot, like Jordan did in big-time games? Naw, didn't think so. To compare Kobe to Jordan is like trying to compare Montana to Marino in football, there is no comparison. Kobe, just like Marino, was and still is a damn good player, probably the best active scorer in the Association, but he's really not on the same level as MJ and never will be.
Kobe is going through the same thing Jordan did in his early part of his career. Considering Kobe came into the league with a superstar, he never need to carry the load by himself like Jordan did early on. He's experiencing that now and has grown as a leader year after year since Shaq has been gone. Will he win a ring again? I don't know, I think it depends on if he gets some real help...
Old 03-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Keeping emos out of

That slut got exactly what she wanted and then decided she wanted to get paid. I think that was evident by her showing up with all of AZ's sperm on her panties!
What got Kobe the rape charge was the attempted anal penetration, she was cool up until that point.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

What got Kobe the rape charge was the attempted anal penetration, she was cool up until that point.
your from CO...it all makes sense now!
Old 03-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Keeping emos out of

your from CO...it all makes sense now!
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...41kobea12.html

I live in Colorado, there is a difference.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:47 PM
Keeping emos out of

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...41kobea18.html

Check out line 549 and beyond
Old 03-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Keeping emos out of

Someone's suffering from revisionist history. Jordan was just as poor of a teammate and a "ball hog" that he ran off coach Doug Collins like Kobe ran off Phil Jackson the first time. If Jordan hadn't run off Phil Collins as a coach, he might've won another ring or two as well.

Taken from Jemele Hill, ESPN page 2 And it doesn't help that most people suffer from revisionist history when it comes to Jordan, forgetting that he was just as poor a teammate and a ball hog and that he ran off coach Doug Collins like Kobe ran off Phil Jackson the first time. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...6&sportCat=nba

Have you any original thoughts on the subject matter or are you just going to plagiarize ESPN articles???
Old 03-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,723 Likes on 13,935 Posts
Taken from Jemele Hill, ESPN page 2 And it doesn't help that most people suffer from revisionist history when it comes to Jordan, forgetting that he was just as poor a teammate and a ball hog and that he ran off coach Doug Collins like Kobe ran off Phil Jackson the first time. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...6&sportCat=nba

Have you any original thoughts on the subject matter or are you just going to plagiarize ESPN articles???
Old 03-26-2007, 09:25 PM
Senior Moderator

And um, just read that ESPN article...and I completely disagree there. Alright, I'm no fan of his but I'll say that Kobe is indeed super-talented and special. That being said, him being better than MJ...? Blasphemy. And utter BS.

There are fewer teams IMO that play good defense overall now. Most players now are more concerned about show-boating and going for the highlight reel dunk than playing good defense. That being said, Jordan faced much stiffer defences in his hey-day than Bryant ever will. Just do a lookup of how many points he gets when he plays the Pistons or even the Bulls.

Yes, he's good...very good. But, there is no way in hell he's better than Jordan.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Keeping emos out of

Originally Posted by Yumchah
And um, just read that ESPN article...and I completely disagree there. Alright, I'm no fan of his but I'll say that Kobe is indeed super-talented and special. That being said, him being better than MJ...? Blasphemy. And utter BS.

There are fewer teams IMO that play good defense overall now. Most players now are more concerned about show-boating and going for the highlight reel dunk than playing good defense. That being said, Jordan faced much stiffer defences in his hey-day than Bryant ever will. Just do a lookup of how many points he gets when he plays the Pistons or even the Bulls.

Yes, he's good...very good. But, there is no way in hell he's better than Jordan.
That's exactly what i say about Kobe. He's an exceptional offensive player who may be the best in the league at putting up points, but there's more to being the best player than just putting up numbers, which is exactly why Nash has won two MVP awards in the last two years and Kobe has none.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:47 PM
Senior Moderator

That's exactly what i say about Kobe. He's an exceptional offensive player who may be the best in the league at putting up points, but there's more to being the best player than just putting up numbers, which is exactly why Nash has won two MVP awards in the last two years and Kobe has none.
And I stand by my assessment that Dwight Howard has the potential to be the player soon. That kid can do it all.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:52 PM

And I stand by my assessment that Dwight Howard has the potential to be the player soon. That kid can do it all.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:14 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts

Old 03-27-2007, 09:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

I know where you’re getting at, but it's not appropriate to compare Kobe to Nash. Yes, Nash makes everyone around him better, but that is his job considering he is a PG. If Nash was a 2-guard, I think your comparison would hold more weight. Kobe doesn't just put up points on offense, as he routinely guards the opposing teams best player. He is the most complete 2-guard in the league right now, offensively and defensively. I think he's made huge strides in being a better teammate and making everyone around him better. Is there still room for improvement? Definitely.

Nash's first MVP...no question, he deserved the MVP. However, if Kobe was on a top 5 team last year, he would have won the MVP. That's nobodies fault though but the Lakers organization for not putting more talent around Kobe.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:32 AM
Race Director

MJ has won 5 NBA Regular Season MVP's. Kobe has won none, but maybe he could win it this year.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
MJ has won 5 NBA Regular Season MVP's. Kobe has won none, but maybe he could win it this year.
It will be tuff for him. As great as he has played, his team isn't good enough and I think Dirk should win it at this point!
Old 03-27-2007, 10:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

I have read quite a bit of this and some of it is funny as hell btw. I didn't read anything about him inappropriately doing her IDB. According to what I read, she was cool with everything until he asked her if he could nut on her face. At which point, she said no and they stopped.

Please refer me to the line that references the alleged anal penetration. These cops were fucking idiots IMO.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Well, he's got nothing on this guy...

Old 03-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^
Old 03-27-2007, 08:07 PM

omg
Old 03-27-2007, 08:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

All this time I thought Jemelle Hill was a dude....she doesn't know what she's talking about. Her arguments are simplistic and lack any real knowledge of the game. Shit it's like my mom having something to say.

Today's NBA tougher? Watching the last 3-4 years, it's obvious that the league rules have changed, and that the game has been tweaked for offense. Stern has said so as much many times, about the move towards more exciting, freer and faster paced offenses. It's been every clear that the NBA has consciously moved away from the rough grind you down defenses of the past Detroit, New York and Miami teams. Many NBA player and officials close to the game have said that rule changes have allowed less defense, less contact and that offensive players are given more positioning. And the days of taking a charge inside are gone thanks to the 4' charge line. Back in the day, one you got inside you better have a shot. Now you can just run into someone and get a call.

I also don't buy that players now are quicker and stronger. For every athletic freak now I can name you one from 10 years ago. But that's not the point - the average athlete hasn't changed much from just 10-15 years ago, except for the cornrows and tats. I usually judge athletic evolution from track and field athletes. As records and times fall and significant new world records are posted, you can see a trend in how nutrition and new training are impacting athletes. And less records have fallen in the last 10 than in the previous 20.

But Kobe is a great player, just in a different era. As for Nash and Notwiski, I'll put it a different way from what I've said in the past. If you're a GM and you are GURANTEED 4 mediocre starters for the season. And you're sole missin is to win games. Who do you take with the first pick? I'll take Kobe first, Notwiski second. After that it's a toss up bewtween Nash and Wade and Lebron.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by lowpost
All this time I thought Jemelle Hill was a dude....she doesn't know what she's talking about. Her arguments are simplistic and lack any real knowledge of the game. Shit it's like my mom having something to say.

Today's NBA tougher? Watching the last 3-4 years, it's obvious that the league rules have changed, and that the game has been tweaked for offense. Stern has said so as much many times, about the move towards more exciting, freer and faster paced offenses. It's been every clear that the NBA has consciously moved away from the rough grind you down defenses of the past Detroit, New York and Miami teams. Many NBA player and officials close to the game have said that rule changes have allowed less defense, less contact and that offensive players are given more positioning. And the days of taking a charge inside are gone thanks to the 4' charge line. Back in the day, one you got inside you better have a shot. Now you can just run into someone and get a call.

I also don't buy that players now are quicker and stronger. For every athletic freak now I can name you one from 10 years ago. But that's not the point - the average athlete hasn't changed much from just 10-15 years ago, except for the cornrows and tats. I usually judge athletic evolution from track and field athletes. As records and times fall and significant new world records are posted, you can see a trend in how nutrition and new training are impacting athletes. And less records have fallen in the last 10 than in the previous 20.

But Kobe is a great player, just in a different era. As for Nash and Notwiski, I'll put it a different way from what I've said in the past. If you're a GM and you are GURANTEED 4 mediocre starters for the season. And you're sole missin is to win games. Who do you take with the first pick? I'll take Kobe first, Notwiski second. After that it's a toss up bewtween Nash and Wade and Lebron.
Pretty much with what I wrote as well...

If I had to pick someone 1st overall...? Dwight Howard. No joke, either.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Crazy Robot Man
Old 03-27-2007, 09:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Crazy Robot Man

Hey, had to break up all this tension about Kobe better than MJ crap. It was getting way too serious in here.

Besides, we ALL know Kobe would get his @$$ handed to him if he took on Optimus Prime 1-on-1.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hey, had to break up all this tension about Kobe better than MJ crap. It was getting way too serious in here.

Besides, we ALL know Kobe would get his @$$ handed to him if he took on Optimus Prime 1-on-1.
Hey...you see my avatar...I know who the GOAT is. I really didn't want this to be a Kobe vs. Jordan thread, but I guess it's the inevitable. I think that alone speaks volumes to how good Kobe really is as most people can't talk about him without referencing how he's not better than MJ or this or that.

Now lets get down to real business...

Optimus Prime & Bumble Bee vs. MJ & Kobe

Who wins?
Old 03-28-2007, 12:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Hey...you see my avatar...I know who the GOAT is. I really didn't want this to be a Kobe vs. Jordan thread, but I guess it's the inevitable. I think that alone speaks volumes to how good Kobe really is as most people can't talk about him without referencing how he's not better than MJ or this or that.
Well, the thing is...when it comes to sports and the media, people and writers forget easily. Some guy scores a bazillion points for a few games and "OH L@@K!!!! NEW COMING OF MJ...!!!! YEAH YEAH!!"

I mean, c'mon...it was just yesterday that Grant Hill was the next MJ. Oops. Then, it was Vince Carter. Oops. Then it was Tracy McGrady. Oops. Then it was LeBron James...kinda pending. But, oops. And NOW, the flavor of the week is back to Kobe again...All of this is to me, horseturd.

Kobe IMO is at best a Dominique Wilkins...and I'll probably get razed for this. But, that's the best I'll give him credit for. And believe me both are amazing players. But, the thing is, Kobe has proven time and time again (and look up any of his points scored) that when he plays against a team that has REALLY tough defence like the Bulls or Pistons...he wilts. He'll throw up a bazillion shots and maybe score 18-20. That's hardly Jordan-esque. MJ had to go against the bulldozing Knicks and Pistons often and still put up great numbers...I'm with you, dude. No comparison on who's THE best ever...

Now lets get down to real business...

Optimus Prime & Bumble Bee vs. MJ & Kobe

Who wins?
DUH. You absolutely don't need to ask me on that one.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:46 AM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
oh snap. optimus prime vs mj vs kobe this thread is just getting started. optimus prime is a better comparison to mj cus it was at least around the same era.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by wasupdog
optimus prime is a better comparison to mj cus it was at least around the same era.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:27 AM
The Boss

As I said in my initial post, this is not a Kobe-MJ comparison. It is not fair to Kobe or Jordan to compare the two. Typically, ignorant haters compare Kobe to MJ because that is their only method to bring him down. You have to put all your feelings aside and judge him as a basketball player, but some people are just too unaware to recognize the greatness of Kobe's game..
As a player, he's great. But I don't like him enough to watch him play on TV. What a player do off the court is very important and if he's one of those pricks, then I won't even bother looking at him. I have a friend who graduated the same year as Kobe and went to the same High School as Kobe. So I've seen Kobe play in person way before he entered NBA. At the time he was a little prick, now he's just a prick who has money......... so it's not that I am comparing him to MJ, it's me saying the dude is a prick and I don't like him. There are many guys who think like me, and that is why today he hasn't gotten much credit..............
Old 03-28-2007, 05:28 AM
The Boss

no need to argue here, you have no clue what I'm saying.... hence you're the moron.

Quick Reply: Kobe