Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

FIFA: 2010 World Cup Discussion Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 03:59 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
FIFA: 2010 World Cup Discussion Thread

29 days away and counting!!!

I know there have got to be more people than just the regulars in the soccer discussion thread interested in this epic tournament!

Any opinions, predictions, thoughts, etc??? Feel free to discuss!!!
Old 05-12-2010, 04:03 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can
not
wait

sucks that i'll be starting a new job soon and can't take vacation days during the cup.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:21 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,078 Likes on 774 Posts
Anyone going?
Old 05-12-2010, 04:22 PM

:fml:
Old 05-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Is Espana the team to beat?

What do you think about the Brazilian roster? Leaving Ronaldinho off? How about Adriano? I heard his personal life was all nuts so that's a reason Dunga left him off.

Anyhoo looking forward to WC. Hopefully it will be as exciting as the last European Cup which I watched at 4AM in the morning HST LOL.

I <3 the Dutch, those orange uniforms never go out of style and their female fans are pretty damn hawt.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Q('.')=O

I think they still have tickets. I'd love to go to Cape Town and Johannesburg, but I will only be visiting them through my TV set.

Btw I hear they are loading up on condoms and prostitutes lol.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Q('.')=O

I think the unanimous favorites are either Spain or Brazil, maybe Germany because they always show up in big tournaments. And then some people say England because of their dominant qualifying run and good players.

As for the other 'big' teams, I'd say Italy is too old (and I hate them), Argentina has a squad of great players but their coach Maradona is an idiot and never fields his strongest team, France is a POS mainly because their coach Domenech is the biggest POS idiot ever; I still can't contemplate how in the fuck he is still their coach.

And I've always loved watching the Netherlands play, they play some fantastic football and have great players, but they always seem to do well and then just fall apart in the latter stages of tournaments; I hope they do well though.

And yea I think Dunga should have included Ronaldinho in his squad... dumbass. Also, I think Domenech should have included Samir Nasri in his French squad, once again showing Domenech is a complete idiot.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Is Ballack on Germany's squad? He's such a baller. I feel bad that he's never won an international championship for Germany, always comes close.

I've hated the French ever since 2006. Douches. All I remember is Zidane getting carded LOL.

Not sure about Portugal. Ronaldo and Carvalho obviously are the stars but wasn't Portugal's coach sacked after 1 season at Real Madrid?

Always love England, mostly because I recognize most of their players Terry, Gerrard and Lampard deserve success. Seems like England always gets knocked out relatively early in WC.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Can't wait!

A colleague of mine has tickets to a Round of 16 game, her brother lives in South Africa. It's most likely going to be an Argentina game.

I'm surprised by a few of the omissions: Nasri, Benzema, Pato (out of form, but still), gabriel milito, to name a few.

argentina's got the talent, but probably aren't organized well enough as a team.

the dutch could go deep this year.

i think it's going to be spain's tournament to lose.

and I'm really hoping for Cote d'Ivoire to do well and make the second round (hopefully at the expense of the preening C. Ronaldo)
Old 05-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
I seriously cannot wait for the tournament to begin.

Hup Holland hup!!
Old 05-12-2010, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by surfer rick
Is Espana the team to beat?

What do you think about the Brazilian roster? Leaving Ronaldinho off? How about Adriano? I heard his personal life was all nuts so that's a reason Dunga left him off.

Anyhoo looking forward to WC. Hopefully it will be as exciting as the last European Cup which I watched at 4AM in the morning HST LOL.

I <3 the Dutch, those orange uniforms never go out of style and their female fans are pretty damn hawt.
i think spain and brazil are probably the two favorites.

as for brazil:
- ronaldinho had his time and chances with dunga and the national team over the qualifying cycle. it's too bad he lost form of interest so soon because he should be at his peak now. people talk about how great messi is, but ronaldinho in his prime at barca was single-handedly winning games on a more consistent basis (and didn't need xavi as much as messi does).

he's been good this season for milan, but it's too late now. imo, he would have been a great backup plan. but oh well.

- adriano...i thought he'd get in (at least moreso than dinho). but he keeps blowing his chances too. after his alcohol problems, he's been in form but keeps doing boneheaded things like missing practice.
- but there are a lot of stars missing for brazil: pato and diego come to mind.

and i love the dutch jerseys too. will be getting the new home jersey. probably with sneijder or van der vaart letting.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by imj0257
I think the unanimous favorites are either Spain or Brazil, maybe Germany because they always show up in big tournaments. And then some people say England because of their dominant qualifying run and good players.

As for the other 'big' teams, I'd say Italy is too old (and I hate them), Argentina has a squad of great players but their coach Maradona is an idiot and never fields his strongest team, France is a POS mainly because their coach Domenech is the biggest POS idiot ever; I still can't contemplate how in the fuck he is still their coach.

And I've always loved watching the Netherlands play, they play some fantastic football and have great players, but they always seem to do well and then just fall apart in the latter stages of tournaments; I hope they do well though.

And yea I think Dunga should have included Ronaldinho in his squad... dumbass. Also, I think Domenech should have included Samir Nasri in his French squad, once again showing Domenech is a complete idiot.

domenech is an idiot. he should have been fired after euro2008. dunno how the hell he remained as manager after that debacle. it's clear he has no support from the team.

italy are essentially the same team as 06.

argentina have the talent, but i dunno if you can trust maradona as the manager.

Originally Posted by surfer rick
Is Ballack on Germany's squad? He's such a baller. I feel bad that he's never won an international championship for Germany, always comes close.

I've hated the French ever since 2006. Douches. All I remember is Zidane getting carded LOL.

Not sure about Portugal. Ronaldo and Carvalho obviously are the stars but wasn't Portugal's coach sacked after 1 season at Real Madrid?

Always love England, mostly because I recognize most of their players Terry, Gerrard and Lampard deserve success. Seems like England always gets knocked out relatively early in WC.
yea ballack's still on the squad. there's A LOT of talent coming through for germany: muller, marin, ozil (i really want him to join man utd), and kroos.

but ballack's still key. sucks for him...he's always losing in finals. for germany, bayern, chelsea, leverkusen.

quieroz (sp?) was sacked after one season at madrid. it's too bad because the first half, madrid played some of the best soccer i've seen. the squad was too thin, though, and that caught up to them in the second half. ronaldo will obviously be the star, but if nani keeps up his form as of late, he may finally get a chance to break out of CR's shadow.

england have been knocked out in the quarterfinals for, what, the last 3 tournaments? (02, 04, 06) and the last two were by pk's against scolari's portugal teams? tough break...i think they're going to do well. but they keep getting all these unlucky injuries right before the world cup. if barry and terry can't make it...

Originally Posted by uzzmaan
Can't wait!

A colleague of mine has tickets to a Round of 16 game, her brother lives in South Africa. It's most likely going to be an Argentina game.

I'm surprised by a few of the omissions: Nasri, Benzema, Pato (out of form, but still), gabriel milito, to name a few.

argentina's got the talent, but probably aren't organized well enough as a team.

the dutch could go deep this year.

i think it's going to be spain's tournament to lose.

and I'm really hoping for Cote d'Ivoire to do well and make the second round (hopefully at the expense of the preening C. Ronaldo)
what really confuses me is why maradona just doesn't rate zanetti (perhaps the best fullback in the game at the moment save maicon) and cambiasso (in the form of his life).
Old 05-12-2010, 06:23 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Should have my 100" projection and 7.1 up and running in short order. Partay time!
Old 05-12-2010, 06:26 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

^ Agree with most of all the comments above.

Italy - What is Lippi thinking? He's bring the senior team to SA, and I mean senior as in age, not first choice. Gattuso, Cananvaro, Grosso? Living in the past doesn't cut it.

France - Domenich...no comments needed.

Argentina - Great players, but Maradona has a few screws loose. No Zanetti or Cambiasso.

Netherlands and England - Always falling short, but they have a chance this year.

Brazil - Favorites again.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:34 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by F-C
Brazil - Favorites again.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got back from ZA (Joburg & Cape Town) 10 days ago. I am going back in July for Match 63 which is for 3rd/4th place in Port Elizabeth then venturing off to Durban for surf and debauchery.

Cape Town is definitely ready for the influx of people. Long Street is going to be fire after the games. CT is definitely a guy's city. Great surf, cycling, mountains, good weather, thriving nitelife and hot women galore, love that city. Joburg is still lagging in infrastructure especially that train they were working on. Hopefully they can get it together by then.

With that said if anyone knows someone that is going I have a pair of tickets for Match 1 that I am trying to get rid of. Category 1 which is the best area.

I like Espana to win it all.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:52 AM

got started on my world cup gear:

USA away with DONOVAN printing:

USA away warmup jacket:

the previous USA home jersey that landon donovan signed when he was in town to play the houston dynamo:
Old 05-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Suzuka Master

^I like the new jersey
Old 05-13-2010, 01:17 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
대~~한민국!

Go Korea! south that is!
Old 05-13-2010, 01:19 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
and thanks Maradona for not picking those two best defensive players from inter milan lol
Old 05-13-2010, 01:20 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Three Lions!!!
Old 05-13-2010, 01:34 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

I'm rooting for the little guys. Go DPRK.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by JS + MS3
and thanks Maradona for not picking those two best defensive players from inter milan lol
and not picking g.milito, banega, lucho...

and alienating riquelme.

and taking palermo.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:44 PM
Q('.')=O

^^

I dunno though, I wouldn't be surprised if DPRK tie Portugal or Ivory Coast. But hopefully Ivory Coast can get their shit together cus they have some great players they just need to play as a team; hopefully Sven can help them with that.

Of course my #1 team I'm rooting for is USA and since Czech's didn't qualify, my next choice is Ivory Coast.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:54 PM

^^

I dunno though, I wouldn't be surprised if DPRK tie Portugal or Ivory Coast. But hopefully Ivory Coast can get their shit together cus they have some great players they just need to play as a team; hopefully Sven can help them with that.

Of course my #1 team I'm rooting for is USA and since Czech's didn't qualify, my next choice is Ivory Coast.

but i hope so.

i always liked sven. he's not the best manager, tactically. but i thought he got a lot of slack just for being the england manager. 3 straight quarterfinal defeats. but 2 were by PK's. and that england team in 04 should have gone to the semis had sol's header not been ruled out. (what a game that was)
Old 05-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
I remember seeing a Team US scarf which had a snake and "Don't Tread On Me" or something. Anyone know where I can buy one of those?

I know Nike has t-shirts and stuff. I just want one of the scarfs to hang on the wall...
Old 05-13-2010, 09:36 PM
Racer

Holland is always my favorite. Im glad Van Basten is not coaching anymore. Bring back Gus Hiddick as coach and Patrick Kluivert and Holland will have a shot at being the champion.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by savage
I remember seeing a Team US scarf which had a snake and "Don't Tread On Me" or something. Anyone know where I can buy one of those?

I know Nike has t-shirts and stuff. I just want one of the scarfs to hang on the wall...
was it a nike "don't tread on me" scarf? if so, it might have been one of the limited ones during 2006.

there are many fans that make and sell scarves, though.

Originally Posted by stock to the bone
Holland is always my favorite. Im glad Van Basten is not coaching anymore. Bring back Gus Hiddick as coach and Patrick Kluivert and Holland will have a shot at being the champion.
seriously?

kluivert retired...
Old 05-14-2010, 07:08 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
That's why he said to bring him back.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:14 AM
Naturally ASpirated!

Originally Posted by JS + MS3
대~~한민국!

Go Korea! south that is!
Oh pilseung Korea~~~~

Originally Posted by savage

Sort of off topic but your team just won me 50 bucks! Thanks boston!

I havent had "real" football channels since 2008 so I dont know too much about the european/south american players but have been trying to keep up with asian football... I can see Korea Rep and Austrailia breaking into the round of 16... Asian football!
Old 05-14-2010, 07:45 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
was it a nike "don't tread on me" scarf? if so, it might have been one of the limited ones during 2006.

there are many fans that make and sell scarves, though.
Or he could buy a Union scarf.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:13 PM
i-vtec soo good

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

GO RED DEVILS!

Old 05-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Q('.')=O

Nike 3 minute World Cup ad...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idLG6...layer_embedded
Old 05-21-2010, 12:11 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Nice. But they need to reshoot it since Little Ronaldo won't be at the World Cup.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Q('.')=O

Yea they obviuosly shot it before Dunga omitted Ronaldinho from the squad.... such a stupid decision
Old 05-21-2010, 12:53 PM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
Yea they obviuosly shot it before Dunga omitted Ronaldinho from the squad.... such a stupid decision
such a shame too.. i figured that this one would be his last cup showing.. but now i doubt if we'll ever see him playing on the world stage again

i like spain to take it all.. USA and France are always teams i pull for.

ready for the US/England game already!
Old 05-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rockstar21
such a shame too.. i figured that this one would be his last cup showing.. but now i doubt if we'll ever see him playing on the world stage again

i like spain to take it all.. USA and France are always teams i pull for.

ready for the US/England game already!
6/11 cannot get here soon enough. Damn cristiano is a handsome dood no homo.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can't wait, I'm thinking of buying a new TV just for this.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Q('.')=O

Originally Posted by Babnik
Can't wait, I'm thinking of buying a new TV just for this.
Well worth it :1balillioncents:
Old 05-23-2010, 06:22 PM
I feel the need...

USA vs Eng-u-land

Anyone catch the name of the stadium...

Hopefully team USA gives England a "Royal Bofokeng". OOOOOO!!! Zing!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-c...cc=5901&ver=us

Oh, and go red :devilgrin's!

Quick Reply: FIFA: 2010 World Cup Discussion Thread