Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!
View Poll Results: Who would win?
Dream Team
82.76%
Redeem Team
17.24%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Dream Team vs. Redeem Team

Old 08-22-2008, 11:10 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so who wins?

a coworker of mine thinks that the '08 olympic team (redeem team) would beat the '92 dream team...

rosters:

DREAM TEAM:
PG: magic johnson
PG: john stockton
SG: michael jordan
SG: clyde drexler
SF: scottie pippen
SF: larry bird
SF: chris mullin
PF: charles barkley
PF: karl malone
PF: christian laettner
C: david robinson
C: patrick ewing

REDEEM TEAM:
PG: jason kidd
PG: chris paul
PG: deron williams
SG: kobe bryant
SG: dwyane wade
SG: michael redd
SF: lebron james
SF: carmelo anthony
SF: tayshaun prince
PF: carlos boozer
PF: chris bosh
C: dwight howard

now, we all know that "it's tough to compare players from different eras and generations."

but if you compared the '92 team at that point in time, meaning that point in their careers (ie: magic and larry at the end of their careers, laettner just finished duke, MJ in the middle of his career, etc), how would they line up against the current team?
Old 08-22-2008, 11:21 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Ladies and gentlemen
The DDDDDDDDDD Dream Team is in the house
Ladies and gentlemen
Ladies and gentlemen
In the house
Ladies and gentlemen
In the house

Dream Team FTW
Old 08-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Redeem team is good but the Dream team's chemistry, fundamentals and their shooting ability is much better.

Athleticism goes to the Redeem team. I still can't figure out how C. Laettner got on the Dream team.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Ladies and gentlemen
Ladies and gentlemen
Ladies and gentlemen
In the house
Ladies and gentlemen
In the house

Dream Team FTW

pfft, those guys are in their late 40s now.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:28 AM
is in Honda heaven

I'd take the Redeem team. I think they have better mismatches besides MJ.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by videojock
The Redeem team is good but the Dream team's chemistry, fundamentals and their shooting ability is much better.

Athleticism goes to the Redeem team. I still can't figure out how C. Laettner got on the Dream team.
the committee decided to choose one amateur/college player.

so it was down to laettner and shaq, if i remember correctly.

as much of a whipping boy he was throughout his collegiate and professional career, he had one of the greatest collegiate careers ever and was a solid player in the nba. he had unrealistic expectations placed on him, and he was hated on by so many because he represented everything people hated about duke. but at the end of the day, he had a solid career.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,792 Likes on 13,976 Posts
Redeem Team has Dominique Bryant...Dream Team has MJ...

So. This is what would happen: In his desperate (but, sadly futile) attempt to one-up the greatest basketball player to ever grace this planet, Dominique Bryant will attempt to shoot from everywhere and anywhere on the basketball court instead of using his perfectly competent teammates in order to get 100+ points.

However, because 100+ points is not possible with His Airness on the court, Dominique instead will have a shooting line of 2 (I'll give him two baskets because well, even MJ has mercy after the score is THAT lopsided in his favor) out of 89...So, what'll basically be the final score:

Dream Team 176 Redeem Team 4

Period.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Poor Dominique Bryant.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:51 AM
Return of the Ring

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
This poll will be as lopsided as the Mighty Mighty Bosttones one, and the Audi headlights one in Car Talk.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:51 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Yumchah
Redeem Team has Dominique Bryant...Dream Team has MJ...

So. This is what would happen: In his desperate (but, sadly futile) attempt to one-up the greatest basketball player to ever grace this planet, Dominique Bryant will attempt to shoot from everywhere and anywhere on the basketball court instead of using his perfectly competent teammates in order to get 100+ points.

However, because 100+ points is not possible with His Airness on the court, Dominique instead will have a shooting line of 2 (I'll give him two baskets because well, even MJ has mercy after the score is THAT lopsided in his favor) out of 89...So, what'll basically be the final score:

Dream Team 176 Redeem Team 4

Period.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Derk's K24
I'd take the Redeem team. I think they have better mismatches besides MJ.
i think the biggest mismatch that the RT has over the DT is at the point guard position.

stockton was a good defender in his days, but he was also a product of utah's team defense. he and magic are gonna have nightmares chasing around CP3 or deron williams. but i'd have pippen guarding the point and magic guarding someone else.

if i remember correctly, pippen ended up playing most of the point anyways after stockton and magic got injured.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jlukja
Fine...Redeem Team gets 6 points. Dominique Bryant gets a shooting line of 3-89...better?
Old 08-22-2008, 11:54 AM
Senior Moderator

And that extra basket only came because MJ had to tie his shoelaces and Laettner was guarding Dominique...
Old 08-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Team Owner

Magic & Stockton would not be able to stop the dribble penetration of the Redeam Team. However, Dream Team would dominate in the middle and on the boards. Bryant vs. Jordan would be a wash, offensively and defensively.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Sarcasm aside, DT will slaughter the RD...that's just my two cents. I think most of the DT are way better defenders than this group...that also coupled with alot of me-first types on the 2008 version also won't help the cause.

And oh, coaching...I'll take the coaching staff of the DT over the RT too.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Bryant vs. Jordan would be a wash, offensively and defensively.
007, no offense...but you are wayyyy off to orbit on that one.

Bryant is not even in the same league as MJ when it comes down to overall skills...
Old 08-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Team Owner

^^ I disagree. But then, this conversation belongs in the Kobe vs. Michael thread where both sides of it have been hashed out over and over again. I'll leave well enough alone here.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Senior Moderator

^^ I disagree. But then, this conversation belongs in the Kobe vs. Michael thread where both sides of it have been hashed out over and over again. I'll leave well enough alone here.
Righto.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:05 PM

Magic & Stockton would not be able to stop the dribble penetration of the Redeam Team. However, Dream Team would dominate in the middle and on the boards. Bryant vs. Jordan would be a wash, offensively and defensively.
that's why i said i'd rather have pippen guarding the point and magic guarding, say, carmelo, i guess.

that still leaves someone to guard lebron, and if jordan guard kobe, there's nobody to really guard lebron.

however, there's nobody on the DT that can guard barkley.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
DT FTMFW. The game would be won in the middle.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

If we are playing 88 rules, Dream team wins a 7 game series, but close...4-3.
And sorry but Jordan has a better chance of stopping KB than KB stopping Jordan - all I'll say about that.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:23 AM
all work and no play

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
MOD FIGHT!!!!!

Dream Team FTMFW
Old 08-23-2008, 02:52 PM

dream team all the way...their front line would kill the RT...jordan would shut kobe down because he's a much tougher defender or pip can guard him...

PG quickness would go to the RT but stockton and magic would frustrate the shit out of CP3 and Dwill as much as i like those two...

overall mismatch..only thing RT has over them is speed..
Old 08-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Although I believe the Redeam team is the best team since the 92 Dream team. The Dream Team would beat them head to head; better shooters, better fundamentals, more overall pro experience. The only huge mismatch in Redeam team's favor would be Howard/Bosh against Laettner.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:21 PM

yea but laettner wouldn't even play.

barkley and malone would be ahead of him in the pecking order...not to mention david robinson and ewing.

and stockton was a very good defender in his own right...i think his success as a defender was more of a product of his team defense, but he did frustrate many players in his days.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:17 AM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Imo, I will take dream team w/o a doubt.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
Dream Team, game over...

Bird, Magic, Barkley, Jordan, Ewing, and the rest... that lineup will never be matched...
Old 08-25-2008, 09:16 AM

The Redeem Team better than the 1992 Olympic team? Dream on

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...eem/index.html

From the comfort of my couch I send a shout-out to Alex Wolff, my distinguished Sports Illustrated colleague who has been covering the Redeem Team. Alex's assignment was easier than mine was in 2004 (when covering Team Bad Vibe in Athens was about as pleasurable as getting a root canal) but more difficult than the task in 1992, when chronicling the Dream Team consisted mainly of ferreting out Charles Barkley's post-midnight agenda on Barcelona's famed Las Ramblas.

Like the veteran knuckleballer, I've been summoned from the bullpen to perform the obvious -- compare the Redeem Team to the Dream Team. Not in terms of global popularity (no matter how many times you've seen Kobe Bryant mobbed by Chinese fans, it doesn't compare to the Elvis-is-in-the-building treatment extended to Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, et al.). And not in terms of public comportment during the Games (the '08 team has earned points by showing up at some athletic events, unlike the Dreamers, who, Barkley excepted, mostly stayed in and bonded at their luxury hotel). We're talking strictly basketball.

As the Food Network would put it: Whose cuisine would reign supreme? What we're examining here is a game between Team '92 in its prime against Team '08, which held off Spain 118-107 on Sunday to win the gold.

First of all, discount margin of victory, which was an astounding 43.8 for the Dream Team, compared to 27.9 for this year's team. NBA-caliber players on international teams were a rarity when Chuck Daly's team took the court 16 years ago, as opposed to the stacked rosters against which Mike Krzyzewski's charges had to compete.

The pressure, too, is a wash. Bird joked that if the '92 team lost, it "wouldn't be allowed back in the country," the very idea of NBA players losing to lesser lights being laughable at that point in time. But though the template of top European teams beating thrown-together Americans is now well established, the Redeem Teamers had just as heavy a burden on their collective back. Indeed, with USA Basketball czar Jerry Colangelo in charge, this year's quest to recapture the gold took on the form of a holy crusade ... and crusades aren't about silver and
But my feeling is that the '92 team would prevail. That's not merely old-school sentiment talking (though I can't deny there's some of that), but cold, hard facts. Here are a few of them:

• The best all-around player on the '08 team was LeBron James, with Kobe a close second. (During the NBA season, I reverse that order.) The best all-around player on the '92 team was Jordan. And Jordan, at that time, was a better player than either James or Bryant, offensively and defensively. To a large extent, teams draw their identity and their strength from their best player.

• The '08 team could not begin to match the Dreamers on the interior. Not only did the '92-ers have two classic centers in Patrick Ewing and David Robinson -- that's two more classic centers than the '08 team had -- but Barkley and Karl Malone could also supply post-ups and rebounding. Dwight Howard was a force at times in Beijing, but against the Dream Team, he'd have three fouls before Coach K could look around for a replacement. Chris Bosh and Carlos Boozer would play their tails off, but they would get pounded inside.

• The '08 team is deeper at the point with a combination of Jason Kidd, Chris Paul and Deron Williams, particularly since John Stockton was limited by a leg injury in Barcelona and could provide only minor backup help for Magic. But that's irrelevant. Any number of players besides Johnson (Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Chris Mullin and Clyde Drexler) could initiate the U.S. offense, which was more versatile than the Beijing team's.

• The '08 team played hard on defense (though it had few answers for Spain in the final), but the Dream Team was better at that end of the court. If you saw Jordan shut down Lithuania's Sarunas Marciulionis or Pippen put the clamps on Croatia's Toni Kukoc -- both of the international players were world-class at the time -- you would have to give the advantage to the '92 team in a close game. And that's not even to bring up how Robinson and Ewing would protect the paint.

Keep in mind that this is not in any way a condemnation of the '08 team, which comported itself splendidly both on and off the court. It is merely to say that it would not beat the once and future kings who set a standard that will probably never be matched.
personally, i refuse to bring the margin of victory into the equation because the competition was not as high as it is now. players, then, wanted to take pictures with the dream team while on the court.

but i do agree with the rest of the article.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:00 AM
Banned

Who the fuck is gonna guard wade... Man its a toss up in a 7 game series anything can happen.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:01 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Hell the referees wanted to take pictures with the players.

One thing I'll say about the DreamTeam, they were the best, there wasn't enough talent in the world to put a team together to beat them. I would say that would be different today. The DreamTeam would have a run for the money with some of the teams that ReDeem had to play.
And Congrats to the ReDeem Team, putting the team first for three years to show that USA Basketball IS the best in the World.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:35 AM
All your base belong to

Re-Dream Team
Old 08-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
Originally Posted by kosstick
Who the fuck is gonna guard wade....
Pippen or Jordan
Old 08-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Doom878
Pippen or Jordan
Ok whose going to Guard Kobe Lebron Williams?
Old 08-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Team Owner

I think Jordan will guard Kobe and Pippen will guard LeBron. And if either of these guys can get around the first defender they'll have to deal with either Ewing or Robinson at the basket.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:09 PM

I think Jordan will guard Kobe and Pippen will guard LeBron. And if either of these guys can get around the first defender they'll have to deal with either Ewing or Robinson at the basket.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Banned

Ok Who will guard Williams and wade? Williams will abuse stockton with his size.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by kosstick
Ok Who will guard Williams and wade? Williams will abuse stockton with his size.
williams and wade weren't even starters for the most part, unless i'm mistaken.

drexler was an above-average defender, and i guess he can play wade.

on the flip side, who's gonna defend barkley, malone, robinson, and ewing?
Old 08-25-2008, 01:50 PM

i guess i can give Kosstick and A for effort being that he was only 2 when the Dream played...

Like I said inmy earlier post...i think the defensive match up for the dream team are set...all the bases are covered...
Old 08-25-2008, 01:52 PM
All your base belong to

1992 2008
W-L 8-0 8-0
PPG 117.3 106.3
Opponent PPG 73.5 78.4
PPG differential +43.8 +27.9
FG pct 57.8 55.0
Opponent FG pct 36.5 40.3
3-pt FG pct 40.0 37.7
Opponent 3-pt pct 30.5 29.9
FT pct 72.6 68.0
RPG differential +13.5 +5.6
Assists per game 29.9 18.8
Steals per game 22.1 12.5
Blocks per game 5.9 3.9
Old 08-25-2008, 01:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
williams and wade weren't even starters for the most part, unless i'm mistaken.

drexler was an above-average defender, and i guess he can play wade.

on the flip side, who's gonna defend barkley, malone, robinson, and ewing?
Were you not watching the games? He wasn't a starter because Kobe went before him.. He was tearing shit up off the bench... Ignoring his skills is stupid..

Quick Reply: Dream Team vs. Redeem Team