AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues (https://acurazine.com/forums/sports-talk-fantasy-leagues-38/)
-   -   College Football: 2011 Season News and Discussion Thread (https://acurazine.com/forums/sports-talk-fantasy-leagues-38/college-football-2011-season-news-discussion-thread-831569/)

cmschmie 12-05-2011 03:24 AM

Well OSU gave the voters pause in making their final ballots for the BCS, but oh well. I'll be able to watch this LSU - Bama game, hope it lives up to the enormous hype it's going to get.

I feel bad for the Sugar Bowl. It seems like they were forced to pick Va Tech (you know they wanted Boise State).

Maybe the Buckeyes can make it 2 in a row over an SEC team :wish:

Dr. Colorado 12-05-2011 01:19 PM

WTF VaTech? I did not expect that. BSU or KSU should have been given the nod IMO.

I was mildly surprised by the Michigan pick also but often those matchups make the most exciting BCS games.

OSU got shafted. Bama had their frickin shot once this season, OSU and their potent offense should have been granted theirs. I for one would have loved to see the Pokes offense stack up against the LSU defense, I can see Weeden and Blackmon really getting up for that game.

Aside from the NC, I think the Fiesta Bowl is the most intriguing. I'm worried about my Cardinal's ability to handle a potent offense a la Oregon and USC. Hopefully our defense will make adjustments to contain the Pokes and Luck goes out with a bang. He looks to be a Colt regardless.

cmschmie 12-05-2011 01:38 PM

I think Michigan makes a lot of sense as an at large. It's been since 2006 (?) that they've been to a BCS game, they'd fill that stadium themselves. Va Tech "fans" will fall all over themselves to sell tickets to Michigan fans. I would not be surprised to see 70% Michigan vs Va Tech fans.

Agree about OSU, but thems the breaks.

Dr. Colorado 12-05-2011 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by cmschmie (Post 13402846)
I think Michigan makes a lot of sense as an at large. It's been since 2006 (?) that they've been to a BCS game, they'd fill that stadium themselves. Va Tech "fans" will fall all over themselves to sell tickets to Michigan fans. I would not be surprised to see 70% Michigan vs Va Tech fans.

Agree about OSU, but thems the breaks.

Yes, unfortunately I see the BCS again as a business entity with $$ being the bottom line. Michigan will bring legions of fans and it's certainly more palatable than allowing those Buckeyes to play in the Sugar Bowl for what surely would have been a less competitive game had their suspensions been in effect.

JS + XES 12-05-2011 03:06 PM

Go Oregon!

Go Stanford!

:D

imj0257 12-08-2011 11:40 AM

Remember peeps, you can still join Yahoo Fantasy Bowl Pick 'em!

Group ID#: 6370
PW: acurazine

imj0257 12-10-2011 08:01 PM

Congrats to RG3, well deserved.

hornyleprechaun 12-10-2011 08:27 PM

Didn't get to see it, but heard his speech was very good. Glad he won as it was deserved.

imj0257 12-10-2011 09:46 PM

It was. He definitely handled the questions well and carried himself like a pro.

cmschmie 12-11-2011 09:34 AM

Sumlin to A&M looks like a good hire.
Hope the fans/AD give him time to get his system up and running. Could take a couple years and in the SEC, will be even tougher.

Professor 12-13-2011 08:11 AM

08:15 AM ET 12.12 | No one would accuse Larry Scott of thinking small, and now he's thinking globally. [Scott], the Pacific-12 Conference commissioner, flew to Beijing on Sunday to start an apparently unprecedented effort by a college sports league to establish itself in a foreign country. Scott plans to spend four days there meeting with various officials to put together a "road map" for a way to expand the presence of Pac-12 universities in China. While Scott has his eyes on Central America, South America, India and other Asian nations in the long term, his immediate priority is establishing the Pac-12 in China. Scott said in a telephone interview Saturday that he expected the Pac-12 to play games in China in the next three to five years.

The New York Times

imj0257 12-13-2011 08:33 AM

:squint:

Professor 12-13-2011 04:59 PM

I know I'm the only USCe fan, as some say, or the University of South Carolina Gamecocks, THE USC, or CAROLINA, but the OBC signed an extension through 2015.

For all of the SEC fans, the light you see coming through the tunnel is the train fixing to rule The Roost.

Rockstar21 12-14-2011 07:43 AM

LSU will be better next year, i would hold off on the cock train yet.

CocheseUGA 12-20-2011 12:12 PM

Ellis Johnson hired at Southern Miss.

Good hire.

imj0257 12-20-2011 01:13 PM

Where'd the Southern Miss coach go to? I'm sure he got a good gig after their great season and knocking off Houston.

Professor 12-20-2011 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by imj0257 (Post 13433343)
Where'd the Southern Miss coach go to? I'm sure he got a good gig after their great season and knocking off Houston.

Fedora went to the other Carolina... UNC.

JS + XES 12-22-2011 03:27 PM

Matt Barkley coming backkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

madcaps 12-22-2011 03:29 PM

:woot: Great decision!

Doom878 12-23-2011 06:56 AM

Didn't he lose his starting LT? Kind of risky considering he could've been #2 or #3 overall.

JS + XES 12-23-2011 12:18 PM

Yep. LT Matt Kalil is going pro.

Barkley said it yesterday during the announcement that he had considered both options thoroughly and it was very hard to come to a clear conclusion. But once he made up his mind to come back for his senior year, he said he's not scared of anything related to injury and other related concern.

I'm just so grateful as a fan because Barkley has gone through so much negativity and probably the darkest time of USC football program. He could have left the program to play at some other great football program when the whole thing happened, and he could have easily turn to pro this year. But he never did. And that's what we are really grateful for.

imj0257 12-23-2011 12:45 PM

You know ESPN has nothing to talk about when they talk about a college quarterback coming back for another season 4 times in a one hour episode of sportscenter :whyme:

If they included sports outside the US, they would need 3 hours just for one episode.

JS + XES 12-23-2011 04:27 PM

well i'm sorry? :shrug:

imj0257 12-23-2011 04:31 PM

meh.

CarbonGray Earl 12-23-2011 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by JS + MS3 (Post 13439751)
Yep. LT Matt Kalil is going pro.

Barkley said it yesterday during the announcement that he had considered both options thoroughly and it was very hard to come to a clear conclusion. But once he made up his mind to come back for his senior year, he said he's not scared of anything related to injury and other related concern.

I'm just so grateful as a fan because Barkley has gone through so much negativity and probably the darkest time of USC football program. He could have left the program to play at some other great football program when the whole thing happened, and he could have easily turn to pro this year. But he never did. And that's what we are really grateful for.

He's a good kid, I was impressed by his speech. I'm not a USC fan, but as USC goes, so goes the Pac-12. The more ranked teams, the better.

Professor 12-23-2011 04:56 PM

USC Pac 12 :omg: No we like the SEC.

JS + XES 12-23-2011 05:33 PM

University of South Carolina? :rofl:

No thanks. I like my USC.

Professor 12-23-2011 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by JS + MS3 (Post 13440233)
University of South Carolina? :rofl:

No thanks. I like my USC.

Southern Cal isn't even a state. It's a region of a state.

Besides, you may not be old enough to remember the 1983 contest. USC 38, South Cow. 14. We won and claimed the title to the real USC and the boys of USCw shits have been afraid to play us again because most SEC teams would kick their ass.

#1 reason Kiffen dropped out because he knew he'd be out-coached.

They only thing USCw has on USC is a TV market.

JS + XES 12-23-2011 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Professor (Post 13440263)
Southern Cal isn't even a state. It's a region of a state.

Besides, you may not be old enough to remember the 1983 contest. USC 38, South Cow. 14. We won and claimed the title to the real USC and the boys of USCw shits have been afraid to play us again because most SEC teams would kick their ass.

#1 reason Kiffen dropped out because he knew he'd be out-coached.

They only thing USCw has on USC is a TV market.

Cool cool.

Now call up ESPN and other media outlets and tell them to stop calling us USC.

Let me know how it works out for you. :shrug:

JS + XES 12-23-2011 07:01 PM

You go ahead and root for your team. I'll do the same for my team.

There's nothing more to it.

CarbonGray Earl 12-23-2011 07:04 PM

If you have to argue that you are the 'real' USC, maybe you aren't the real USC. Just sayin...

Professor 12-23-2011 07:24 PM

South Cow... founded 1888, private
USC... founded 1801, public

We see the noobs. But's that's o.k. look how many SCAR games have been on ESPN v. South Cow. And we be bowling this year. Please grab a pizza and tune in because South Cal is at home.

Oh, before I forget, who has won the NCAA Baseball Championship for the last two years... damn UCLA is more of a competitor.

madcaps 12-23-2011 07:26 PM

University of Southern California Football: 11 National Championships, 6 Heisman Trophy winners ( should be seven but of course Bush has his taken away).

University of Southern Carolina Football: 0 National Championships, 1 Heisman Trophy winner, which is funny because on the Heisman list, they're listed as "South Carolina" and not "USC", like So cali is..:rofl:

Just sayin.

Professor 12-23-2011 07:31 PM

Whatever, SCAR (and I'd even though in jawja), would slap So. Cow around like a red-headed step-child.

People who live on history are doomed to stay there.

madcaps 12-23-2011 07:36 PM

Says the guy who brought up some forgotten game in 1983. :whyme:

CarbonGray Earl 12-23-2011 07:50 PM

What an immature argument, but as a bystander I'll interject. And yes, I'm old enough to remember something that happened 83. Again, not a USC fan, take that as either school.

When USC play Notre Dame, 95% of the nation are 'noobs', I guess. All us 'noobs' that don't give a rat's ass assumes the Trojans are playing the Irish. Again, just sayin...

When the term USC is spoken, it pretty much speaks for itself. However, when referring to the USC in South Carolina, you have to say 'the one in South Carolina...ya, the real one'. You can win some symbolic game in 83, but there no arguing with the fact that the sports world believes USC resides in a 'region' in California. We're all 'noobs' I guess.

Professor 12-23-2011 07:54 PM

Again what ever... just remember when the Trojan breaks the Cock is still around.

CarbonGray Earl 12-23-2011 07:58 PM

:rofl:...that's pretty funny...

Like you said, whatever for me too, but you got beef with the USC guys....

:teef:

JS + XES 12-23-2011 08:46 PM

:what: That Professor guy is crazy. I'm assuming he wrote his age wrong. Acting more like 14 than 41.

Moving on.

Rockstar21 12-24-2011 10:16 AM

Only one LSU baby