AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues (https://acurazine.com/forums/sports-talk-fantasy-leagues-38/)
-   -   College Football: 2011 Season News and Discussion Thread (https://acurazine.com/forums/sports-talk-fantasy-leagues-38/college-football-2011-season-news-discussion-thread-831569/)

imj0257 12-01-2011 11:56 AM

:nod:

Re-created it from last year's and re-invited the peeps that did it last year.

If you didn't do it last year and would like to this year the info is:
Group ID#: 6370
PW: acurazine

Last year we did standard picks. Want to do the same or change to confidence points picks?

Dr. Colorado 12-01-2011 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by imj0257 (Post 13395319)
:nod:

Re-created it from last year's and re-invited the peeps that did it last year.

If you didn't do it last year and would like to this year the info is:
Group ID#: 6370
PW: acurazine

Last year we did standard picks. Want to do the same or change to confidence points picks?

PM me teh info Ian, if you still have available spot.

CocheseUGA 12-01-2011 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by oo7spy (Post 13395217)
I am on the fence about NFL coaches. Good NFL coaches are usually moderators tasked with keeping everyone's ego moving in the same direction. NCAA coaches have to be good motivators to inspire their young athletes to excel. I don't watch enough Texan games to know Kubiak's demeanor. The thing I want the most is a coach with some passion. Sherman's greatest asset is his recruiting ability because of his NFL track record. However, he and Franchione never had any passion. There was no yelling, no disgust, no motivation to get fired up. When a 3rd and 8 option to the short side didn't work for Franchione or a 3rd a 1 QB sneak didn't work for Sherman, both coaches seemed like they were indifferent. Almost like, "Oh well, we'll just punt and play field position with our D." NO YOU WON'T!!! YOUR D IS HORRIBLE!!! JUMP UP AND DOWN! SCREAM A LITTLE! FIRE YOUR LINE UP, SEND THEM OUT FOR 4TH DOWN AND SHOVE IT DOWN THE OTHER TEAM'S THROAT!!! :rant:

I had a HS BBall coach who blew his knee out stomping on the floor. That was his favorite in-game motivator. Jump straight up and slam your dress shoes on the hardwood as hard as you can while screaming at the top of your lungs. That got kids moving; that's for damn sure.

IIRC, Kubiak was a offensive (RBs?) coach at A&M and I think he got a guy drafted pretty high.

imj0257 12-01-2011 07:39 PM

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/col...e-retained.ece

Texas A&M's football program is already preparing for the jump to the SEC next season, but they won't be making the move with Mike Sherman at the helm. After days of uncertainty over Sherman's job, Athletic Director Bill Byrne confirmed that Sherman will no longer be the head football coach at A&M.

"Mike Sherman has operated our football program with the highest levels of character and integrity over the past four seasons and has served as a great ambassador for Texas A&M University. Mike has always put the welfare of the student-athlete and Texas A&M first," Byrne said in a official statement released by the university.

"I appreciate Coach Sherman's selfless service to Texas A&M as our head football coach and his tireless efforts in building leaders of character. He is truly one of the great offensive minds in football, both collegiate and professional, and I know that he has much to offer the game of football in the future.

A number of coaches have already been thrown around as potential candidates, but the name at the top of the list seems to be former A&M assistant Kevin Sumlin. The head coach at Houston, Sumlin has turned the Cougars into one of the most prolific offenses in the country, and currently has the team undefeated going into the Conference USA title game.

Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman tweeted that Sumlin seems to be the choice for most Aggies: "Houston's Kevin Sumlin would emerge as the A&M frontrunner. "He's the favorite of Aggie Nation," the source says."
Sounds fine with me :shrug:

oo7spy 12-01-2011 07:49 PM

Not that Sumlin isn't a good choice, but it's sad how obvious it is we go for old Ag's before waiting the see all of our options. :whyme:

imj0257 12-01-2011 07:53 PM

True. As was the case for Sherman.

oo7spy 12-01-2011 08:38 PM

I would much rather be entertained with options even if they know who is their guy from the beginning. At least convince me Sumlin is the best option out there. Whatever, I just hope this works out better than Sherman. I really wanted to like Sherman.

Rockstar21 12-03-2011 10:13 AM

Somebody held up a courso quote sign at gameday :rofl:

"Ahhhhhh fuck it"

Dr. Colorado 12-03-2011 02:06 PM

Houston is getting hammered. 4th quarter rally or no BCS.

Sooners may knock OSU out of the BCS too at Bedlam.

I'm excited for Wisc-MSU rematch. Wisconsin will be looking for revenge no doubt. That was one of the most exciting finishes in college football this season.

CocheseUGA 12-03-2011 02:51 PM

Houston is getting straight trucked.

CocheseUGA 12-03-2011 04:01 PM

Came to play today!

05TLdcc 12-03-2011 04:15 PM

Where is LSU in this game?

Professor 12-03-2011 04:18 PM

Well since Houston (and if already said, I apologize as a great number of members are on my ignore list), shot to a 1 loss team, and if UGA takes LSU, they should cancel the BCS bowls and NC. :2cents:

CocheseUGA 12-03-2011 04:57 PM

We've hung for a half, let's see if we can make a game of it in the second.

Should be 21-0, but oh well.

Rockstar21 12-03-2011 05:24 PM

Remember arkansas

Rockstar21 12-03-2011 05:29 PM

#7 will single handedly win this game.

edit: just give the man the Heisman already.

imj0257 12-03-2011 05:46 PM

Go Georgia! I can't believe LSU has like 35 yards of offense but is winning ... wtf.

CocheseUGA 12-03-2011 05:58 PM

That probably does it right there. Too much talent.

Professor 12-03-2011 06:17 PM

Bowwow...

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1048/bowwowi.jpg

Who will be listed on the back of UGA 2011 season shirts... oops 3 "L's" at least. L1) Oregon, L2) Shitty USCe, fluke win), and L3) LSU. :tongue:

Rockstar21 12-03-2011 08:23 PM

Georgia gave it hell for 2 quarters....

But the word undisputed is starting to become more and more relevant here.

CocheseUGA 12-03-2011 08:28 PM

I wonder what would have happened had we converted our chances, and decided to tackle once in awhile on kickoffs. Same result? Possibly. Defense played great, which if you just saw the score you might laugh at.

Proud of the year, and I'm glad we at least showed up. Gotta get some kids with a bit more heart at certain positions, and keep the ones who have it from getting hurt.

On to the Capital One, I suppose.

CocheseUGA 12-03-2011 10:08 PM

Damn, Pokes!

Going to be two very long Sundays in T-Town and Stillwater.

1slo23 12-03-2011 10:24 PM

Oklahoma State is straight owning the Sooners tonight, and Clemson rocking the Hokies, wow!

invisiblewar 12-03-2011 10:35 PM

their defense gets hell but they played lights out. Pokes will be #2 tomorrow Im hoping.

imj0257 12-04-2011 12:28 AM

Along with everyone else in the cuntry other than peeps from Alabama, I hope OSU gets to the national title game. And they fucking deserved it after raping OU tonight!

I hope, I really hope, the stupid fucking BCS voters put OSU #2. But I would not at all be surprised if they keep them at #3. Fucking whores.

Rockstar21 12-04-2011 01:59 AM

They did their part but I still don't think OSU can compete with LSU or Alsbama for that. Matter.

I'd rather watch a real game...

97BlackAckCL 12-04-2011 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by 05TLdcc (Post 13399615)
Where is LSU in this game?

they woke up :shrug:

hornyleprechaun 12-04-2011 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Rockstar21 (Post 13400301)
They did their part but I still don't think OSU can compete with LSU or Alsbama for that. Matter.

I'd rather watch a real game...

You did already.. now play OSU, beat their ass and claim your MNC.

Rockstar21 12-04-2011 11:25 AM

oh I'm sure the team could give a shit less who their opponent is.

They will do what is asked of them I'm sure.

CocheseUGA 12-04-2011 11:38 AM

If you hate the BCS, you should want Alabama to get the nod.

invisiblewar 12-04-2011 12:41 PM

Im a Gator fan and some what of an SEC fan. I really am sick of the media hype for the SEC though. I know its been the most dominant conference lately but its really starting to annoy me. Its worse than the media affair with tebow.

Rockstar21 12-04-2011 07:17 PM

Hold On to your butts.. Here we go.

Rockstar21 12-04-2011 07:20 PM

Bama..

CocheseUGA 12-04-2011 07:20 PM

Let the bitching begin!

imj0257 12-04-2011 07:20 PM

I KNEW IT. Stupid.

Oh and A&M is gonna play Northwestern in the Meineke Car Care Bowl WOOT!

invisiblewar 12-04-2011 07:32 PM

And I will facepalm even more if LSU loses that game.

Rockstar21 12-04-2011 07:35 PM

One thing is for sure... The SEC wins it again :rofl:

imj0257 12-04-2011 07:41 PM

6 years in a row.

hornyleprechaun 12-04-2011 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rockstar21 (Post 13401330)
One thing is for sure... The SEC wins it again :rofl:

Another thing is for sure.. The SEC will no longer be undefeated in BCS MNC.

hornyleprechaun 12-04-2011 09:39 PM

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-bl...s-the-cowboys/

Mark Bradley
Yet another BCS whiff: Alabama’s brand burns the Cowboys

Nobody ever said the BCS made sense, and this year it makes less sense than … well, can you make less sense than zero? Alabama did not win its division and did not win its conference but could well be the national champion in a sport where we’re told Every Game Counts.

Actually, what this year’s serving of BCS glop tells us is that it’s good to have an aura. Nick Saban has an aura, albeit one of fire and brimstone, which means Alabama has an aura, which means Alabama got a nod it didn’t deserve.

Bama played its two toughest conference games — LSU and Arkansas — at home. It didn’t play either Georgia or South Carolina, the best teams in the SEC East. It played four teams that finished with a winning record, and one was Georgia Southern. The Tide beat three teams that finished the Top 25 of the BCS standings.

Oklahoma State played five such teams and won all five games. It played seven teams that finished with winning records. The Cowboys did, for mavens of minutiae, win their conference title. The knock on them is that they lost to unranked Iowa State. But they did lose on the road, and in overtime.

Alabama, the counter-argument goes, only lost in OT to the nation’s No. 1 team. But Alabama lost at home. Alabama was favored that night and couldn’t win. But because Alabama is coached by the dark lord Saban and because Alabama is from the SEC, which is the feeder league for BCS titlists, the Tide gets a second chance.

And this time the talking heads on ESPN, who make less sense with every week, had no problem with the concept of a rematch or the reality of a non-conference champion playing for the BCS crown. (Oddly enough, some of those same voices hooted down Georgia’s credentials in 2007. “Can’t consider a team that didn’t win its conference,” the ESPN choir harrumphed.) And Saturday night, moments after Oklahoma State finished routing Oklahoma, which entered the season ranked No. 1, some ESPN boys leaped at the chance to say, “Ah, that doesn’t really matter.”

“SportsCenter” opened with the highlights of the SEC title game and then Oklahoma State’s dismissal of its bitter rival. Then the Bristol anchors tossed, as they say in TV, to Brent Musburger and Kirk Herbstreit. Musburger, who had famously lobbied for Georgia Tech to be promoted above Colorado to No. 1 when calling Tech’s victory in the Citrus Bowl in January 1991, started with a little joke. What’s wrong with a rematch, he asked, and cited the extremely appropriate case study of Rocky Balboa versus Apollo Creed.

Then Herbstreit dismissed Oklahoma State by saying the Cowboys had lost in Ames, Iowa, and, more to the point, didn’t pass “the eyeball test.” Which made you wonder: How could Kirk Herbstreit know just how Oklahoma State had looked against Oklahoma? He (and Musburger) had been sitting in a booth in Charlotte, N.C., calling the ACC title game.

Because big-time college football has no playoff grid, ephemeral stuff like “the eyeball test” and someone’s opinion — yours, mine and especially Kirk Herbstreit’s — are allowed to hold disproportionate sway. Alabama won’t be playing for the (exceedingly mythical) national championship because it had a better season than Oklahoma State but because its has the stronger brand. It’s Alabama. It plays in the SEC. It’s coached by Saban. Good enough for me! Give that team a second chance!

And that’s what big-time college football has become — a game of brands, not reality. Is it mere coincidence that ESPN has a 15-year contract to carry SEC games? (ESPN also has a contract with the Big 12, Oklahoma State’s diminishing league, but the bigger Big 12 package is with Fox Sports.)

This was a year when opinion mattered. Five of the seven computer rankings had Oklahoma State above Alabama, but the Tide finished ahead in both human polls. Why? Because of the brand. You cannot tell me that if Alabama’s name were attached to Oklahoma State’s body of work and vice versa that the results wouldn’t have been different. We all know they would have.

And now we’re faced with this scenario: A winner of nothing save some eyeball test can split two games against another team … and be declared national champ. Some “system” this is.