Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

* Official Tour De France Thread *

Old 08-01-2006, 08:59 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Does anyone else think it is just a tad fishy that a French lab is doing the sampling and making the claims? Wouldn't it be best for everyone if a third party were given access to samples to verify the results of the French lab? I mean, they probably aren't too happy that an American has won the Tour for the eighth year in a row and being the petty twits that they are, tainting a sample of urine from the American winner doesn't seem beyond them...

You should be his publicist .
Old 08-01-2006, 09:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone else think it is just a tad fishy that a French lab is doing the sampling and making the claims? Wouldn't it be best for everyone if a third party were given access to samples to verify the results of the French lab? I mean, they probably aren't too happy that an American has won the Tour for the eighth year in a row and being the petty twits that they are, tainting a sample of urine from the American winner doesn't seem beyond them...

2 things. If they wanted to sabbotage him, they could have done that with Lance Armstrong before he got his 6th Tour de France, as to not let him be the guy with the most Tour de France victories. Second, it is the Tour de France. It's their freaking tour. How would think people would react if Baseball found steroids in Ichiro Suzuki and Japan demanded the urine to be tested somewhere else? Sportwriters in America would say "fuck them Japs" the next morning.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:25 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
You should be his publicist .
I just think that in the interest of fairness to everyone, a third party with nothing to lose should be asked to verify the results. France obviously is unhappy that an American won so it's in their interest to have the results swing one way. The Americans are happy to have won again so it is in their interest to have the results swing the other way.

I figure that with a third party involved, the possibility of claims of sabotage or wrong doing are minimized and we're more likely to get the real answer.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:26 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by mamboking
2 things. If they wanted to sabbotage him, they could have done that with Lance Armstrong before he got his 6th Tour de France, as to not let him be the guy with the most Tour de France victories. Second, it is the Tour de France. It's their freaking tour. How would think people would react if Baseball found steroids in Ichiro Suzuki and Japan demanded the urine to be tested somewhere else? Sportwriters in America would say "fuck them Japs" the next morning.
Have you forgotten about the whole thing in the news about claims of Armstrong doping from way back in one of his earlier tours?
Old 08-01-2006, 09:41 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
The guy is guilty. But so is every other cyclist who was entered in the farce so
Old 08-01-2006, 09:46 AM
Banned

Have you forgotten about the whole thing in the news about claims of Armstrong doping from way back in one of his earlier tours?

No, I didn't. But telling the world 6 years later that Armstrong cheated was pretty much a non-issue. They knew that it wouldn't stick and that Lance was still the 1999 Tour de France champion. If they wanted to fuck with him, they would have done it during the tour especially before his 6th tour win, but nothing happened.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:31 AM
Corpretty

Originally Posted by Mike
The ride quality is night and day. At the time I had an aluminum 99 Malliot Jaune as well. That thing would rattle your fillings and there wasn't that much difference between the 99 MJ and 03 Zurich which why I sold it. I rode my friends 99, fell in love and bought one.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Fair enough. The '03 Zurich is my first road bike and all I can say in response is that it feels good to me. I don't have anything to compare it to except a crappy aluminum Trek 1200 that I rented a few months ago while on vacation. Your's is just the first heavy criticism of the zurich of any year that I've heard. Maybe within a year when a couple of my other project bikes come together I'll be singing the same tune, wondering why I ever considered it a good ride. Maybe not.

Fuck anything that has the LeMond name on it. He is such an asshole....
Like many sports stars/legends he has a big ego, but what that guy did for american cycling shouldn't be taken lightly or thrown to the wolves because he's making claims about other riders. Maybe those riders are/were doping, maybe not, but at least he's being vocal about trying to oust an issue that has the potential (if it hasn't already) of leaving a black cloud over the sport for many years to come. Plus ,the guy got shot in the chest with a shotgun and won his second tour with 37 pellets still inside him. Take that, cancer!
Old 08-03-2006, 12:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DL2g...lbert%20landis
Old 08-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Senior Moderator

testing of the b sample has started

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/08/03/D8J90AVO0.html
Old 08-05-2006, 03:06 PM
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 550 Posts
F#$K

It looks like Landis is out

PARIS — Tour de France champion Floyd Landis' backup urine sample confirmed high levels of testosterone, cycling's governing body said Saturday, raising the prospect that he could lose his title.

Following the results of the "B" sample, Landis was fired by his Swiss team, Phonak. He also faces a two-year ban from USA Cycling, which is responsible for sanctions against the American rider.

Tour de France director Christian Prudhomme said Landis no longer was considered the race winner, but the decision to strip him of his title rests with the UCI. "It goes without saying that for us Floyd Landis is no longer the winner of the 2006 Tour de France," Prudhomme told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

Prudhomme said runner-up Oscar Pereiro of Spain would be the likely new winner. "We can't imagine a different outcome," Prudhomme said.

- Read the entire AP Article

Phonak Team Statement:

The Phonak Cycling Team has learned today from the International Cycling Union (UCI) that team captain Floyd Landis’s B sample has also resulted in a positive finding of doping. As a result, Landis will be dismissed without notice for violating the team’s internal Code of Ethics. Landis will continue to have legal options to contest the findings. However, this will be his personal affair and the Phonak team will no longer be involved in that.

Team owner Andy Rihs deeply regrets this development. At present, he is clarifying with all parties involved what consequences this may have for his company ARcycling AG, the operator of the Phonak Cycling Team. Andy Rihs and Team Manager John Lelangue will make in-depth statements regarding this matter at a media conference to be held in the next few days.

Landis' Counsel Issues Statement:

Los Angeles, August 5, 2006 The UCI (International Cycling Union) today announced that the results of the 'B' analysis conducted on Floyd Landis's urine sample of July 20, 2006 are consistent with the findings of the 'A' sample. Both samples were taken following Landis's victory in stage 17 of the Tour de France. The results of the 'A' sample were released on July 26. Landis will pursue the appeal procedures established by the UCI in order to overturn the laboratory results. It is expected that the matter will now be referred to USA Cycling.

Landis, who has not used performance-enhancing substances, maintains his innocence in this case and believes that he will be vindicated of the doping charges.

'I have never taken any banned substance, including testosterone. I was the strongest man in the Tour de France, and that is why I am the champion,' said Landis. 'I will fight these charges with the same determination and intensity that I bring to my training and racing. It is now my goal to clear my name and restore what I worked so hard to achieve.'

Landis's attorney, Howard Jacobs, has begun preparing the case for arbitration. If the case follows the normal protocol, it is expected to be resolved within four to six months.

'At this point in time, I am waiting to receive the full laboratory documentation for the 'B' test. In consultation with some of the leading medical and scientific experts, we will prove that Floyd Landis's victory in the 2006 Tour de France was not aided in any respect by the use of any banned substances,' said Jacobs.

Landis and Jacobs will also argue against the UCI's premature release of the 'A' sample findings as well as the anonymous leak of the carbon-isotope test results to the New York Times on July 31.

'I call on the UCI to start following its own rules and to allow this process to proceed without the further taint of public comment by UCI officials,' added Jacobs. 'The anti-doping process must be free from the perception that sports federations and anti-doping authorities, who hold great political and financial sway over sport, are attempting to influence the outcome of a pending case by issuing inappropriate public comments.'
Old 08-05-2006, 10:23 PM
Senior Moderator

when will we find out what exactly was the problem w/his testosterone levels?
Old 08-06-2006, 09:12 AM
Banned

oops
Old 08-06-2006, 03:41 PM
-glock security-

they all "dope" its just the ones that get caught that we hear about.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:59 PM
TSX User

When you consider the money and fame at stake for these athletes, who otherwise have no real means of making it in the real world, it's quite logical for them to use these performance-enhancing drugs. Wouldn't you say it would be stupid for them not to use such drugs, be it legal or not?

From what I've read on ESPN, it seems Golf is next on the list.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TinkyWinky
When you consider the money and fame at stake for these athletes, who otherwise have no real means of making it in the real world, it's quite logical for them to use these performance-enhancing drugs. Wouldn't you say it would be stupid for them not to use such drugs, be it legal or not?

From what I've read on ESPN, it seems Golf is next on the list.

It would be EXTREMELY stupid to use them if you know you will be tested at the end of the stage where you hope to win by cheating (doping)...
Old 08-07-2006, 10:00 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
i was in paris when he failed the first test. french seemed pretty happy about it. its hard to keep up on whats going on here, or at least from an unbias source but it doesnt look good for him
Old 08-07-2006, 10:59 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,136 Likes on 818 Posts
I'm glad I didn't spend 80 hours of my life watching the race on OLN this year.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by F-C
I'm glad I didn't spend 80 hours of my life watching the race on OLN this year.

Why? This was the best tour in years. You didn't really know who was going to win it until the very end!

and even then you didn't really know...
Old 08-07-2006, 12:01 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Why? This was the best tour in years. You didn't really know who was going to win it until the very end!

and even then you didn't really know...
Don't you fell cheated? You spent a big part of you free time during July to watch a race. Then at the end of it, you find out it was a sham. I'm glad I only spent 1/2 hour a day to watch it. But I'm sure some people invested a lot of time watching the whole thing.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Not defending the guy, however it could have been somone who put somethng in his drink/food. I find it odd this was the only + test of the others he took in other stages. He was drinking the night before, this guy is a nobody as well(at least not as well know as Armstrong)
Old 08-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Roid Landis is guilty as shit.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by F-C
Don't you fell cheated? You spent a big part of you free time during July to watch a race. Then at the end of it, you find out it was a sham. I'm glad I only spent 1/2 hour a day to watch it. But I'm sure some people invested a lot of time watching the whole thing.

I don't. I feel in my heart that at least 80%+ of them are cheating. Maybe not during the race, but during training to achieve the level they have. It is like watching WWF. You know it's fake but if you like the entertainment, then enjoy it.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:07 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Millions Of Americans Buying Floyd Landis-Inspired Bracelets

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/51324

Old 08-10-2006, 03:33 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by BEETROOT
Millions Of Americans Buying Floyd Landis-Inspired Bracelets

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/51324