Update on Switchblade Keys...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007 | 02:30 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

From: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Originally Posted by SteveP66
My dealership quoted me $95.00 to cut and program both of these amazing keys !!!

Pete - They were really impressed by your work.

Update: Dealer called - they can't cut the switchblade. They claim it won't fit into their machine.....and they didn't want to force it and ruin the key. Not sure if this just means they really can't or won't.

Anyway the search continues - if any RI/CT/MA guys have had them done already let me know where.
Old 03-28-2007 | 06:32 PM
Boring Teacher

My dealer just quoted me $100 JUST TO PROGRAM THE IMMOBILIZER CHIP!!!! That's outrageous!!!
I guess I'll also be selling my key as soon as it comes.

I also feel the same about Acura! I WILL NEVER IN MY ENTIRE LIFE PURCHASE ANOTHER ACURA!! EVER!!
They also treat me like crap when I call for service. I can pay $15,000 for a cheap Toyota and not get treated this badly!
Anyway...if anyone knows of a Locksmith around the Pittsburgh, PA area who can program this chip, let me know. Otherwise...the key will be for sale for the price I paid for it.
Old 03-29-2007 | 09:31 PM
East Coast Crew

Hmm....couldn't I just get the key cut and program it myself?
Old 03-30-2007 | 02:15 AM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Nope, you need to get the groves and stuff cut first to resemmble what a key look like. The unmodified is just a peice of flat metal.
Old 03-30-2007 | 02:59 PM
Instructor

Update: Dealer called - they can't cut the switchblade. They claim it won't fit into their machine.....and they didn't want to force it and ruin the key. Not sure if this just means they really can't or won't.

Anyway the search continues - if any RI/CT/MA guys have had them done already let me know where.
Steve... You can get any locksmith or hardware store to cut the key for you. The key can be cut and tested ie. Open door locks and turn the ignition without the chip being programmed.

The dealer is probably being honest with you. Some of the duplicating machines won't work with the remote fob as they were originally designed to be used with regular keys. There are ones that do have enough clearance but the fob needs to be rotated 90* for it to work.

One member got his cut at Home Depot and then programmed at the dealer. One piece of advice though... have them cut a test key 1st and try it in your lock. Then if it works get the switchblade key cut.
Old 03-30-2007 | 03:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by visuelz
Hmm....couldn't I just get the key cut and program it myself?
Yes you can program it yourself.

All you need is one of the special programming boxes that the dealer or locksmith has and you're good to go.

...I don't think it's worth it to spend the $1000.00 for the box though.
Old 03-30-2007 | 03:04 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

From: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Originally Posted by FLBusa
Steve... You can get any locksmith or hardware store to cut the key for you. The key can be cut and tested ie. Open door locks and turn the ignition without the chip being programmed.

The dealer is probably being honest with you. Some of the duplicating machines won't work with the remote fob as they were originally designed to be used with regular keys. There are ones that do have enough clearance but the fob needs to be rotated 90* for it to work.

One member got his cut at Home Depot and then programmed at the dealer. One piece of advice though... have them cut a test key 1st and try it in your lock. Then if it works get the switchblade key cut.
Thanks Pete - I'm going to give it a shot this weekend. Someone also suggested removing the screw from the fob - thus seperating the key from the fob and then having the key cut that way. That at least gets the fob out of the way while it's being cut.
Old 03-30-2007 | 03:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by spoiledkari
My dealer just quoted me $100 JUST TO PROGRAM THE IMMOBILIZER CHIP!!!! That's outrageous!!!
I guess I'll also be selling my key as soon as it comes.

I also feel the same about Acura! I WILL NEVER IN MY ENTIRE LIFE PURCHASE ANOTHER ACURA!! EVER!!
They also treat me like crap when I call for service. I can pay $15,000 for a cheap Toyota and not get treated this badly!
Anyway...if anyone knows of a Locksmith around the Pittsburgh, PA area who can program this chip, let me know. Otherwise...the key will be for sale for the price I paid for it.
Don't give up so easy Kari.

Pick 5 locksmiths in your area from the yellow pages and ask them if they can make a spare key for your car that includes programming. My guess is that at least 2 of them can do the programming and the key cutting for under what the dealer charges.

Don't let on that it's a custom key or anything or you'll end up paying $200.

Just say "I need a spare key"... "I'm not locked out of my car or anything like that... I just want an additional key made up".

You can't expect the dealer to go outside of what Acura offers without paying some kind of premium and the same goes for the locksmith. Anything "CUSTOM" is just that and will cost you more than something you can pick up at your local PepBoys or Acura Parts Counter.

The members that have a cool switchblade key are also the ones that hunted down a good deal for themselves.
Old 03-30-2007 | 03:17 PM
Instructor

Thanks Pete - I'm going to give it a shot this weekend. Someone also suggested removing the screw from the fob - thus seperating the key from the fob and then having the key cut that way. That at least gets the fob out of the way while it's being cut.
I would try just removing the remote portion of the fob 1st. It's held on by one small Phillips screw at the back. Part of the cover will still be left but I think it will free up enough space for it to be cut.

Pete
Old 03-30-2007 | 05:01 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by chenma
im willing to buy the key.. give me payment instructions,, you bought it from flbusa?? please reply to chenma@usc.edu ASAP
Chenma,

I found a place here in Dallas, that said they will be able to program the key next week (they are waiting for something). If they are unable to do it, I will just sell the key.

If the dealership is the only one who can program the key, then they should be obligated to do so for free or a fixed price. Not charge whatever they feel like.
Old 03-31-2007 | 10:15 AM
East Coast Crew

Guys, I did cut my key today and it works great. There's this old place called J.A.M Allsafe & Secure. It's a locksmith around the block from my house. It's at 2014 Avenue X, Brooklyn, NY 11235. The number is 718-646-0988. Look for a guy name Rob. He did a great job on it! It was 50 dollars + tax. Comes out to 54.18 or something.
Old 04-01-2007 | 11:11 PM
I'm stock and hating it.

Has anyone got this done for the second gen?
Old 04-01-2007 | 11:27 PM
-Mike

Originally Posted by lokee99
Has anyone got this done for the second gen?

ya, pete have you thought about doing those other acura keys also,

that have the remote and key in one but dont flip?

not sure what car uses them exactly, i've seen comparison pics with ur switch blade on the same pic tho
Old 04-02-2007 | 01:11 PM
Racer

First off, nice job Pete on the key. Mine has been cut and programmed and working for a couple months now and works great. Now with regards to the much complaining on here about prices and the such...

1. I agree with Pete, you DONT need to goto the dealer ("Stealership") to have the key cut or programmed. You just need to find a local locksmith to handle the task. As a note, I took my FIRST key to the dealer to get it cut and programmed and the Almighty messed it up. So upon getting my second and final key done by Pete I went to a local locksmith who cut and programmed for $50 OTD and it works great.

2. On the original thread, which maybe Pete can show a link to, there was a running "database" of locksmiths that people had used with success, along with the price they paid. This would be a great start for those looking for cheaper than dealer prices.

3. With regards to Acura Service, you don't NEED to go to them to get scheduled maint. done. Lots of local shops, some chains, and I amybe wrong but even Honda Dealerships are setup to handle it, and will probably be less expensive. I will say that I am sorry to hear that your Service People are not treating you well, I wouldn't hesitate to call the Corporate Acura Customer Service people and report the Service People, you never know you might get some free service for your hassle, or just look for another dealership.

Bottom line, I think swearing off Acura/Honda, which is a great car company, due to their inability to cut/program a custom key at a reasonable, to you, price, or an isolated dealership Service Department's employees, is just ridiculous.

I always have purchased Honda/Acura vehicles, and will continue to in the future.

Sorry for the rant!
Old 04-02-2007 | 04:06 PM
Pro

I miss the original switchblade thread.
The technical level in there was lightyears beyond this one, not to mention the general maturity and demeanor.
Why should any dealership be "obligated" to do anything like this for us hackers??
Old 04-02-2007 | 06:11 PM
Instructor

Red face

I missed the boat entirely and never got to see the original thread. Is there any way I can see it? Archives perhaps? Sorry I'm new and I don't really know my way around yet.
Old 04-03-2007 | 06:42 PM
I'm stock and hating it.

Originally Posted by yungwunn911
ya, pete have you thought about doing those other acura keys also,

that have the remote and key in one but dont flip?

not sure what car uses them exactly, i've seen comparison pics with ur switch blade on the same pic tho
Thats not what im talking about. I was asking if that switch blade key can be made to work for the second gens.
Old 04-03-2007 | 09:23 PM
3rd Gear

Pete, I'm interested in buying one of your keys...just wondering if you had any on hand at the moment. I would have sent a pm, but I can't for some reason. If you could send an email to ntkt10@gmail.com that would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-04-2007 | 03:55 PM
Instructor

Hi every body,

Once again... if you're interested in buying a key...

email me at kratschp@yahoo.com

Markm... Thanks for the props man.

The list with the locksmiths Mark is referring to is just a page or two back in this thread.

I guess it's time I made a copy of that list and distributed it.
Old 04-05-2007 | 03:22 AM
Instructor

Smile Thanks Pete!

Pete, I just wanted to say thank you for providing us with such a great service at a very reasonable price. I just received my key (quick turnaround! just a couple of days! and it had to travel from the east coast to the west coast!) and I tested it on the door, ignition, glove, gas/trunk lock, and rear seat lock. You really have this thing down to a science! I remember reading some of the first few TSX'ers received keys that were just a little tight due to the difference between the TL key and the TSX key. The key I got from you was absolutely perfect! And the directions to program the remote were spot on. I have the new key/remote functions working along with my 2 original fobs. All that's left is for me to find a locksmith willing/able to cut and program the new key. It's been somewhat difficult finding a local locksmith able to do this, but I think I've found someone reasonably close to me. They weren't on the list you provided, but I'm gonna give them a shot. I'll report back if it's successful. I would absolutely hate it if they ruined the work of art that Pete has provided. Wish me luck! Thanks again, Pete! Absolutely meticulous, just plain perfect!
Old 04-05-2007 | 07:28 PM
Instructor

good news and bad news

i was able to get the key cut perfectly, but for some reason the locksmith wasn't able to program the immobilizer. not sure what kind of machine he had. according to him, there might be an update and the ecu or something might be different for 2007 vs 2006. when he tried, the machine gave him an error message, "ecu not recognized" or something to that effect. has anyone done this mod successfully for the 2007 tsx? i may have to go to a dealer. hopefully they don't overcharge me for the 5 minutes it's going to take to do this.
Old 04-06-2007 | 08:53 AM
2nd Gear

The immobilizer is the only issue

I have an 07 TSX and getting the actual key cut is not the dilemma. It's getting the immobilizer programmed that is the issue. I am waiting on a local locksmith to get in the "V" codes so he can program the key. My dealership wanted $100 to do it, so on general principle I will wait for the locksmith.
Old 04-06-2007 | 12:19 PM
Advanced

anyone in the southern california area get their key programmed and cut successfully? i need to make sure before i go ahead and place an order
Old 04-06-2007 | 02:59 PM
Instructor

Important announcement regarding key sales!!!!

Effective April 13, 2007 I will no longer be accepting keys from people to be cut.

The only service that I will be providing after 4/13/07 will be to sell already cut keys.

Payments are to be made through paypal.

My paypal email address is... kratschp@yahoo.com

If you have any specific questions regarding the key/s that isn't covered here...
Please email me at the same address kratschp@yahoo.com
I know that PMing me is really convenient but I can't track you or search for you with PM's so please... email me.

Prices are...

$95.00 for a Mem1

$135.00 for a Mem2 (Acura charges more for the key blank)

USPS 1st class shipping within the US is included.

Canada orders add and additional $20.00 for shipping

When you paypal me...

Make sure that there's a shipping address. I'll need that to get you your key.
You can also write me a note. Just type in something like

"This is for a Mem1 key for Jack Nicholson"

That's all I need. If I have a key in stock... I will send it out the day you paypal me as long as I get the order by 5:00pm EST.

I will accept orders for machining blank keys only until April 13, 2007

Price for machining a blank key that you send to me is...

$50.00

...and you supply shipping both ways.

Send the key/s to...

FLBusa.com
19451 Sheridan Street #299
Pembroke Pines, FL 33332

Some notes on shipping...
Buy 2 6x9 (Size = #0) Bubble Mailers.
Address and stamp one of them with your address.
That one is for me to send the key back to you.
Put your key inside of it. Don't seal it.
Just fold it in half and put it inside of the other 6x9 mailer.
Seal and mail it to the address above.
Use 1st class mail. It's cheap and will get to me in a couple of days.
Your total out of pocket for shipping should be no more than 5-6 bucks.

Once your order is processed I will send you a confirmation using the same email that you used to paypal me. I will also send you instructions for you and for the locksmith dealer so that you have the best chance of getting you key cut and programmed correctly the 1st time.

Thanks,

Pete
Old 04-06-2007 | 07:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by FBPaCCord
anyone in the southern california area get their key programmed and cut successfully? i need to make sure before i go ahead and place an order
plenty of people have. don't worry, FLBusa is completely on the up and up. I got a key from him within a couple of days. Great work, by the way, Pete!

lots of people have successfully had this done, and since it looks like you're in irvine, you can actually get it done at a dealer after you order from FLBusa. Tustin Acura, service manager George Rodriguez has done it for several members for $52.50. Great price. I want to go there, but it's a drive. I'm in L.A. I asked Santa Monica Acura and Santa Monica Honda, and they quoted me $110 and $100, just for programming the immobilizer. it takes less than 5 min! what a rip. I won't pay that just out of principle! Going to try and find a locksmith to do it.
Old 04-06-2007 | 10:48 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikeucla
plenty of people have. don't worry, FLBusa is completely on the up and up. I got a key from him within a couple of days. Great work, by the way, Pete!

lots of people have successfully had this done, and since it looks like you're in irvine, you can actually get it done at a dealer after you order from FLBusa. Tustin Acura, service manager George Rodriguez has done it for several members for $52.50. Great price. I want to go there, but it's a drive. I'm in L.A. I asked Santa Monica Acura and Santa Monica Honda, and they quoted me $110 and $100, just for programming the immobilizer. it takes less than 5 min! what a rip. I won't pay that just out of principle! Going to try and find a locksmith to do it.

mikeucla, can you clarify the deal at Tustin Acura? Is it 52.50 for the cut and the immobilizer programming? That sounds like a ridiculously good price. Should I call at ask for Mr. Rodriguez or can anyone at the dealer get this price? This place is only about 5 miles from my office, would be a dream come true for 50 bucks.

Last edited by FBPaCCord; 04-06-2007 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-07-2007 | 01:03 AM
Instructor

Cool

mikeucla, can you clarify the deal at Tustin Acura? Is it 52.50 for the cut and the immobilizer programming? That sounds like a ridiculously good price. Should I call at ask for Mr. Rodriguez or can anyone at the dealer get this price? This place is only about 5 miles from my office, would be a dream come true for 50 bucks.
I believe so. I think at least 2 other people have done it, probably many more than that. For some reason the original thread was deleted so it's hard to find, but google saves old pages in their cache and I was able to find it. Take a look...

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=4&gl=us

Wish I lived in the OC sometimes...

Hopefully I can find a reasonable price in L.A.
Old 04-07-2007 | 05:34 AM
Advanced

is $135 for 2 keys? ie* mem1 and 2? thx
Old 04-07-2007 | 06:08 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by 07tsx
is $135 for 2 keys? ie* mem1 and 2? thx
$135 is for one "Memory 2" key
Old 04-08-2007 | 06:32 AM
Racer

Will this key work for a 05 MDX.
Old 04-08-2007 | 11:56 AM
Instructor

2007 Tsx

Has anyone successfully had the immobilizer programmed in a 2007 TSX for this mod? I've gone to 2 different locksmiths who had both done 2006's successfully but could not do my 2007. If anyone has done it successfully, can you tell me where?
Old 04-09-2007 | 10:16 AM
Instructor

I can vouch for Tustin Acura...

They buy a few keys from me for over the counter sales and have experience cutting and programming the keys.

Old 04-09-2007 | 02:29 PM
Intermediate

I just wanted to say i got my second key from FLBusa and i must say that he took care of me when i had problems. It came lightning quick and i only have praises for him.

Thank you again FLBusa for helping me out and DEFINITELY will do business with you again!
Old 04-09-2007 | 11:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikeucla
Has anyone successfully had the immobilizer programmed in a 2007 TSX for this mod? I've gone to 2 different locksmiths who had both done 2006's successfully but could not do my 2007. If anyone has done it successfully, can you tell me where?
i would like to know too pls thx, i also have an 07 tsx. I need to know if the keys will work, before i buy them thx again.
Old 04-11-2007 | 10:40 PM
aw1
Pro

Originally Posted by visuelz
Guys, I did cut my key today and it works great. There's this old place called J.A.M Allsafe & Secure. It's a locksmith around the block from my house. It's at 2014 Avenue X, Brooklyn, NY 11235. The number is 718-646-0988. Look for a guy name Rob. He did a great job on it! It was 50 dollars + tax. Comes out to 54.18 or something.

visuelz,

just sent you a PM.
Old 04-14-2007 | 12:04 AM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

FLBusa I sent you a PayPal payment, an email, and a package today.
Old 04-15-2007 | 03:19 PM
Instructor

Did anyone else have issues with programing the Mem 1 key to work with a 04 TSX, I got my new key programmed at the dealerer, everything works fine except when they try to program the keyfob portion of the key they cannot get the unlock button to work. The lock, panic and trunk work fine just the unlock doesnt seem to work. are they doing something wrong? Can someone please send me the instructions on how to program the switchblade key to work with my 04 TSX?
Old 04-16-2007 | 01:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by calitsx
Did anyone else have issues with programing the Mem 1 key to work with a 04 TSX, I got my new key programmed at the dealerer, everything works fine except when they try to program the keyfob portion of the key they cannot get the unlock button to work. The lock, panic and trunk work fine just the unlock doesnt seem to work. are they doing something wrong? Can someone please send me the instructions on how to program the switchblade key to work with my 04 TSX?
This topic has come up before. I think all you need to do is unlink/link the remote to the memory seat. I think '04 models may not have this memory seat feature, so I'm not sure if this will work, but the procedure is simply to press and hold both the lock and unlock buttons until the led lights up, and it should either flash real quick or the light should stay on for a few seconds. Try this procedure a couple of times and hopefully that does the trick. If not, maybe some of our more knowledgeable members can help you out.
Old 04-17-2007 | 07:56 AM
08 type-s

Thanx for the prompt service and email replies.....i will notify when i recieve....thanx again
Old 04-17-2007 | 10:21 AM
A-SPEC

I just found out Montclaire DCH Acura charges $52.50 to cut and program. either or. damn
that means they will charge $52.50 just to program as well.

Quick Reply: Update on Switchblade Keys...