HVAC panel lit up but no functions!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 09:04 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
HVAC panel lit up but no functions!

This is really odd so I just got a Pioneer Double-Din AVH-4800DHV that I'm replacing my radio on my 06 Acura TL. Now, upon halfway completing the install I plugged everything back in to double check the speakers and whatnot. The AC is blowing out of control and it goes from hot to cold randomly and the buttons don't seem to have any effect! The display is not showing the mode or the climate control. It's very odd that the buttons are lighting up but no functions can be used. Yes everything is plugged in and yes all fuses have been replaced even the blown ones.

If anyone can tell me or figure out this problem I would greatly appreciate it.

Also why do I get a low pitch humm from my double din through the speakers?

I purchased the eBay dash kit for double dins and the wiring harness but to get the amp to work I had to splice the ones from the other plugs that are not being used does anyone know which wire's goes where, and if this is affecting my air condition controls by chance?

It would be great if somebody actually had a color coded diagram for 3rd Generation Acura TL for what goes where when installing a double DIN install and what needs to be spliced.

Thanks Azide Fam!!
Old 07-18-2016, 03:06 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nav or Non-Nav, you have to leave the HVAC display connected so that it properly displays your settings. Where's your HVAC display and what's it saying?
Old 07-19-2016, 05:55 PM
Instructor

This is a base 2006 TL non navigation here are some photos of what I'm talking about I thought that I mess something up with the wiring but I have not touched any of the wiring belonging to this unit please if anyone knows what's going on as far as the LED panel not functioning or AC

control buttons not functioning let me know
Old 07-19-2016, 10:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
looks like when you spliced wires you messed up and spliced into the A/C controls. You removed the factory amp right?
Old 07-20-2016, 01:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 179 Posts
1. There's 2 harnesses that plug into the HVAC. Trace it to see what is wrong. Is the double din playing properly? All speakers + sub?
2. As for the buzz noise you speak of, is it present all the time? When there is an audio source? Car on/off?
3. Which seller did you buy you dash kit from?
Old 07-20-2016, 12:08 PM
Advanced

Is the HVAC display unit properly grounded to the metal bracket that sits in? Put all four screws back in. Bring a ground wire from a trusted GND somewhere inside the car if you have to. Can you remove all rear electrical plugs from the audio unit and test HVAC without it?

Last edited by tk2k6; 07-20-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:02 PM
Advanced

With ignition off press and hold rear defog + recirculation + pass. temp. up. Turn ignition to ACC(1) while continuing to hold the buttons. Hold all buttons for 6 seconds then release. Screen should flash as its resetting the unit.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:16 PM
Instructor

Thanks guys!

@ CSMEANCE - WELL THE ONLY WIRES THAT I HAVE CONNECTED WAS THE MAIN HARNESS FOR POWER FOR THE DOUBLE DIN RADIO AND I DID NOT SPLICE INTO THE AMP AND SUB CABLES UNTIL AFTER THE PROBLEM HAD ALREADY BEGUN.

@tk2k6 - The unit was not properly grounded with ALL 4 SCREWS so i got 3 out of 4 factory. and i am missing the 4th. i used another screw that i had laying around and changed the bracket back to OEM (metal) where as the ebay brackets were made of plastic. i thought for sure that it would be the solution and it just wasnt getting a good ground connection. HOW DOES THE HVAC UNIT GET GROUND? THROUGHT IT'S HARNESS OR THROUGH THE HEADUNIT (DOUBLE DIN)?

WITH THE 2 MAIN HARNESSES THAT GO INTO THE OEM FACTORY RADIO ONLY 1 IS USED. THE OTHER ONLY HARBORS 2 + WIRES AND 2 - WIRES FOR SPEAKERS AND AMP. IM WONDERING IF THAT OTHER HARNESS HAS A BLACK GROUND THAT I HAVENT CONNECTED...

I AM GOING TO TRY THE RESET WITH THE BUTTONS FOR 6 SECONDS AND IM ALSO GOING TO LOOK FOR A GROUND WIRE THAT IM JUST NOT SEING AT THE MOMENT.

THANK YOU GUYS SOO MUCH IM SURE WE WILL FOGURE THIS OUT SO I CAN ASSEMBLY MY INTERIOR BACK TO BEING DECENT LOL!
Old 07-21-2016, 12:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ummmm the 4 screws are NOT the ground. Ground is through the harness.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:53 PM
Instructor

wiring

Well i just thought that it could be a possibility becase i have seen metal brackets in my preious honda's that use this method.

So how is it being grounded then>

Here is a photo of the wiring harnesses that came off the OEM radio. i used the blue one as the main harness. and there is about 2 more.

a GREY ONE that has the amp and sub connections that i already powered on using the red powere wire from the pioneer harness. and ground the same.

there is ANOTHER harness that looks like this..

the top are all accounted for. the bottom blue/white harness is the one i connected to the double din.
the grey on top of the one is the amp and the subwoofer i had to splice that one.

there are some more green ones that for the most part plug into the HVAC BUT WHERE is the ground coming from for that unit. an anyone tell me? thanks

Old 07-24-2016, 11:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

A20 should be ground. If you look at the wire it will be Black. That's for the radio diagram you posted.
As for HVAC, there should be a black wire on one of the harnesses. Usually in the corner.
Link:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-a...ac-lcd-935566/

Last edited by WDPanda; 07-24-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:29 AM
Instructor

Ok well I found the ground however I'm noticing that all of those harnesses were not tampered with as far as HVAC unit is concerned it wasn't working even before I install that radio. The reset didn't work, the fuses replacing didn't work I'm just at my end I don't know what else to do than to just buy a new unit. Now the only thing that I actually did mess with was the computer board that presses the buttons I had to solder on a couple new lights because the copper was left to a bare minimum and that's the only way I could put LED lights in them to rejuvenate my dashboard I wonder if that messed up the connections and if that would cause the whole thing to mess up?
Old 07-25-2016, 09:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

You can ask someone who's selling to test it out before you buy it. You can just hold it ontop and plug it in to check. The wires will easily reach.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:17 PM
Instructor

Ya I may have to try that panda. So the Fans are stuck on high blowing and the temp. Changes from hot when I'm stopped to cold when I'm driving. Still I have no functionality or display on my ac module. I have literally tried everything... I may have to get a whole new unit. But is it possible to put an 08 ac/heat display on this 06. Like retro it in?

This is all I see every day (above)
Old 07-29-2016, 11:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

When I installed my DIN, i forgot to plug in the HVAC and it just went to blowing at high. I didn't wait long to see if it alternated between low before i realized i forgot and plugged it in. The car seems to do that when no signal is received from the HVAC.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:34 PM
Advanced

What's going on with the factory amp and xm unit in the trunk? Did you disconnect the power from them? You know they're useless once you get a new headunit. Can you post a diagram or a pinout that you used to connect your new headunit? You can get a HVAC display unit that's wht on blk if you don't like the blue glow.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:16 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Currently having this problem. Checked everything. It’s all plugged in and so on.