Turning the Page: RL > SH RLX

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 04:54 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
OK, so you made me curious, Tampa. I looked at the price for the Sport Hybrid in the Philipines. It costs PSP 4,380,000. One dollar is 47.95 pesos today. That makes the Sport Hybrid US$91,000 in the Philipines. Suddenly, I feel like I got a "bargain".
Moreso, consider the average 'industrial' salary is 5 to 7 thousand USD / year.

The agricultural segment is about 1.5 to 2 thousand USD / year.

THAT requires some serious financing.

"I'd like to finance for SIX generations."

Strange how the #1 world economy gets the best price. Good old capitalism and free market place.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts
Vehicles really are a luxury in the Philippines.

I lived there for 5 years. I drove a new 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer and it cost 30,000 USD. Every "check up" cost 80 dollars. Prices are silly, to say the least.

Also, Acura does not exist there. However, if you drive a Honda, its similar to an Benz or Lexus... now if you drive either one of those... you are just trying too hard or have political ties.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Just wanted to say Thank You to Tampa, for doing the "Legend" badge. I just did mine (actually the guys at the detail shop i take my car), and i like it much better.

The following users liked this post:
TampaRLX-SH (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 10:41 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Still waiting to install my LEGEND doorsills,,,,
Did you ever install these? I do not recall if you did or seeing pics?
Old 06-01-2016, 07:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I have not, yet. I was awaiting the Navtool interface so that I'd have to take my interior apart only once. Unfortunately, the Navtool situation has turned into a fiasco with no delivered product six months after delivery. I'm going to to install on a non-call weekend this summer, when I'm not also detailing or adding parts to (very few that is) my NSX.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:00 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I have not, yet. I was awaiting the Navtool interface so that I'd have to take my interior apart only once.
I do not blame you. When I saw the installation instructions, you nearly have to disassemble the lower half of trim in the car, remove rear seat and a chunk of dash & console.

I have my original trim pieces in gray. I have been debating about replacing the black accessory sills by swapping out the illuminated / aluminum inserts. I have already removed the aluminum trim from the gray sills. I will be interested in your view on how simple that may be / or not be since the rest of the wiring harness is already there.

I did find one online Acura OEM Accessories vendor that lists the 4 dr illuminated in gray. But they have not replied if the ACTUALLY exist. All other vendors, including Acura e-catalog only list them in black and orchid (seacoast).
Old 06-03-2016, 08:32 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I have not, yet. I was awaiting the Navtool interface so that I'd have to take my interior apart only once. Unfortunately, the Navtool situation has turned into a fiasco with no delivered product six months after [ordering]....
That's what a lot of us were afraid of.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:47 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

One Year with my SH RLX

Finally back home to steamy Florida one year from the day I signed on my purchase of the RLX SH. As I have said before, a trip away form your RLX, with or without a rental will make you appreciate the car evermore so when you return to it. I thought I would share some observations:

For those of you not interested in my long winded posts, the skinny is, the SH has been flawless. For those of you who care for details, read on.

Never have I owned a new car without returning to the dealer for issue fixes (however small) in the first year of ownership. Other than delivering some pizza's to the service tech at my dealership, I have not been there for any car related issues. The GM tells me they have not sold another SH RLX since mine. My tech is the only tech at the dealership certified to service my RLX and 3 NSX's due to be delivered. He has been my sole Acura Tech for 10 years: TL > RL > RLX.

I still miss my RL. And being that I know the new owners, I get updates. The RL just had both airbags replaced, new tires and that has been it. They love it. That said, I do love the RLX SH. Considering the deals on PAWS models, I think they are a good deal to a bargain for what you get. Still, I do not think the PAWS model would have been enough to replace the RL. The SH, as many have experienced in this forum, is a very different car wearing the same duds. I like it. It feels larger, yet lighter than the RL, and I definitely feel the SHAWD is much more noticeable, usable and more fun. The suspension is more buttoned down than the RL and most noticeable little lean compared to the RL.

Interior Hits: I like the interior and have grown to like the push button tranny selector. Features wise it has more than I may ever use. And like the RL, now that I have settled with my favorite settings, I rarely change them.My favorite features on the interior are the ventilated seats, HUD, 360 Cam, and huge back seat. It is nice to put Miss Daisy (Mom) back there and she still coos on the room and heated seats. Also love the Krell audio. I was a fan of the RL's Bose and my TLs ELS but the Krell captures strengths of both I appreciate, crisp mids and highs better than the Bose and deep, yet clear bass not as booming as the ELS. I also like the steering wheel controls much more (even if I still expect separate buttons for HFL and NAVI. Love the quietness of the car (except on coarse roads - will discuss tires later).

Interior Misses: Nit picking I can say I miss the sculpted indention of the RL's upper door panel. It was placed perfectly for my elbow as I learned to avoid using the door armrest on the RL to prevent the leather bubbling.I did like the wood dash trim more so in the RL and preferred the taupe dash and door tops over the black in my graystone interior of the RLX. Initially I though the gauge binnacle in the RL was more attractive than the RLX, but now I find the RLX style straight forward, simple and much like a classic style watch. Already swapped the poor trunk and puddle light bulbs for LEDs and very pleased with the result.

Exterior Hits: I am one of the lonely few who really likes the RLX styling. I find it handsome, well proportioned, more stately and presence over the RL and very reminiscent of a 7 Series BMW. I think similarly is why I like the Audi A8 in its current form. Yes, it could be more exciting, but it does not offend me or confuse me with odd proportions or confused body panels seams. I like the wheels, and actually get compliments on them. I liek that the RLX Jewel Eyes are unique to this model with the double stack. I think Acura succeeded with this styling element as a brand signature. I can spot an Acura at distance, not by a huge ugly power phlegm grille, but instead those Jewel Eyes looking like liquid Mercury in the daytime. The RLX though rare, stands out from the fleet with the double stacked Jewel Eyes. I like the capless fuel filler door - no chance of dinging the fender if your fling the gas cap too hard. I also like the radar is hidden behind the shield ( I hate the standout style on say, the Genesis grille). I also like the LED fogs / turn signals & smoked chrome on the SH, a subtle difference I appreciate.

Exterior Misses: Again, minor but I would not mind some brightwork on the car's flanks and rear bumper, similar to the RL. I would prefer visible exhaust tips. I know this is a trend with hybrids, but I believe SPORT Hybrid warrants that element. I miss the glasslike hand wet sanded finish of the RL. It was superior to the RLX finish. I also liked the flush side glass of the RL though the RLX has little depth variation of the side glass. I miss the more extensive engine bay covers of the RL. I wish a gunmetal blue or fathom blue were offered on the RLX (though I find the Graphite very good hiding dust and film on the finish between washes).

Ride Hits: More taught without crashing over bumps, more athletic feeling. I am pleased with the changes made to the 2016+ RLX suspension. Does not lean in power turns as the RL and it has a less obvious and smoother weight transfer when doing so. The car drives like a smaller sedan and is a great highway cruiser.

Ride Misses: More related to the OEM Michelins, but the car's near silent ride is disturbed by tire roar on coarse pavement. I also find them slipping more than the OEMs on the RL even as new. I may consider swapping tires to the Continentals or Pirelli Centurados. Possibly upsize as well since I am concerned with the low profile tires rim protection (lacking) and improved ride quality some have reported. Last, likely a trait of Honda DWS, but as typical I find there is more tire & suspension thud over manholes, railroad tracks, etc than most other cars. It is the sound, that makes it feel less solid, though I am happy with the ride quality.

Driving & Performance Hits: I love the 7 speed DCT. It is sharp, progressive and often seamless. Only when feathering the throttle at thresholds where the eMode was to kick in, did I notice an occasional sloppy shift. I have yet to notice the VCM unless watching the instant fuel gauge. I love the relaxed cruising of the car and yet it is more than capable for my driving habits to get the schoolgirl giggles in some twisty B roads. The SHAWD is much more obvious in both positive and negative torque vectoring. I love the brakes...oddly I never had an issue or adjustment to the regen braking. I think Honda has done an excellent job blending electronic and mechanical braking. Much more so than any other hybrid I have driven. I love the multiple personalities of the car from hyper-miling eMode to warp drive in Sport mode. It makes the car interesting to switch it up and not grow complacent with the car over time. And yes, the POWER when you light up all systems. It will make me write bad checks.

Driving & Performance Misses: It is tricky to keep the car in eMode. At any stoplight you are likely to fire up the ICE before you make it through the intersection. However, some 30mph roads in my neighborhood permit me to drive to the market, and mostly back in eMode. I have learned cruising at 50mph I can nurse the eMode by slightly lifting off the throttle. You can tell there are things going on with power source changes, but I am still impressed how well it all is orchestrated by Honda in this first version of SH engineering. In other words, noticing the power changes may be a slight negative, but it reminds me how sophisticated this system is and how well it is executed.

Economy: I am pretty much spot on with EPA ratings. My driving is mostly city / short hops and the MID reports 28-29 mpg. My highway jaunts are typically 32+ (35 mpg was my best) and my cumulative average is 30.8 on Trip B. For a large executive sedan I think that is quite good, especially as my SH is more garage queen than highway cruiser. I recall the Honda Dual Note / Acura DNX concept projections north of 60mpg, so I think Honda will continue refining this technology to move closer to those targets. I have been using tier 1 fuel (Shell) as prices are moderate and I can say I see both an improvement in mileage and engine smoothness (which the J series V6 has achieved Rolex refinement). I plan to remain a tier 1 fuel user.

Cache: Personally I could not care less. I believe the SH is worth the $60K price tag, and believe this engineering warrants more. That cannot happen with the Acura brand price point the market supports and the impact the PAWS model had to the flagship expectations and bungled launch. But I do like the exclusivity of the car and personally I am more excited to see (rarely) another RLX then I am with a high end German or exotic. I have yet to see another SH on the road. The one other SH owner in Tampa Bay on this forum did not reply to my PM (hint taken).

In summary, a year later I still feel like I have a unicorn. But I love it and it feels and looks as new (smells it too!). I have auto garage 'carpet' now and I chuckle with my neighbor carping on my fastidious auto habits. But since he is being deployed to Afghanistan later this month, he did ask me to start and drive his BMW while gone. Least I can do for a man serving our country! Perhaps I can do some more intimate SH vs. 5 Series comparisons later this summer!
The following 10 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
2011TL (07-08-2016), bigred123 (08-08-2016), fsmith (07-08-2016), Guitaryojedi (07-08-2016), hondamore (07-08-2016), jdrfive5 (07-08-2016), Malibu Flyer (07-07-2016), neuronbob (07-08-2016), pgeorg (07-08-2016), wstr75 (07-08-2016) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-08-2016, 12:10 AM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Thanks Tampa. I think you captured the essence of the car. Acura should give you a MMC SH to review. You do an excellent, mostly unbiased analysis. Your only bias is that like me and others here, you like the brand from many happy years of enjoyable driving and it shows. 😊😊👍💕

I look forward to your comparison of the 5 series vs your SH.
TampaRLX-SH (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 07:15 AM
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 94 Posts
Great Review!
Tampa, like you, my left elbow sorely misses the sculpted indention on the upper door panel of my RL . Interesting observations regarding choice of fuel. Agree the J series engine is exceptional performance in a naturally aspirated engine.
TampaRLX-SH (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 07:34 AM
Burning Brakes

I enjoyed reading your post, and i think i will be saying the same things after a year of ownership. I think you should also put the Michelins Pilot Super Sports on your list of replacement tires......I put these on mine, and i think they are perfect for the SH.

Thanks Tampa!
TampaRLX-SH (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 08:06 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by wstr75
...Tampa, like you, my left elbow sorely misses the sculpted indention on the upper door panel of my RL .... I.
I still rest my elbow on that point. But since my interior has the upper portion in black, I use a cleaner to keep it fresh (Aerospace 303). And where I rest my elbow, there is a spot where my skin takes off the cleaner finish. The black dash makes me twitch with the visible dust- no matter how minute (which I attack at stoplights with a microfiber towel in the door pocket). The taupe dash did not show dust. But the happy accident of discovering that the gaystone interior of thre RLX had a black dash was the steering wheel also being black. I personally, find it odd to have taupe trim with the black steering wheel.

And while on that, a couple amendments: Adding to Interior Misses: I had ordered the wood trim steering wheel when the SH was delivered, but after discovering I would loose the heated steering wheel (which I have used to my surprise), I decided $900 was too much to add a small visual enhancement and loose functionality.

Add to Driving & Performance Hits: Acura Watch. I did not think I would like those semi autonomous features. Turns out I like them and use all of them. I remain attentive and in control, but again, feeling the steering correcting in my lighter grip on the wheel reminds me how sophisticated the car is. My favorite features of Acura Watch are the 360 Cam and BSM.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:10 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by pgeorg
...I think you should also put the Michelins Pilot Super Sports on your list of replacement tires......I put these on mine, and i think they are perfect for the SH...
I will. I wish there was a way to test drive tires. No matter how much you read the reviews, how they perform on your particular car & model can vary. It is always a $1k gamble to a degree. I need to find out if there are vendors who purchase slightly used tires. OEM Michelins are expensive and I hate to write them off.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
I wish there was a way to test drive tires.
Take a trip up to NY, and you can test them on my SH.......They are all broken in now:-)
TampaRLX-SH (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 05:49 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Thank you, Tampa. Great work. And I could not have said it better. I agree with everything you said and feel the same way about my SH-AWD after 20 months, I am now driving weekly between Maine and Massachusetts and I absolutely look forward to every trip. Love this car. If we are listing negatives, I would add two. A small nit is the loss of the RL's inside front door handles; with nothing to grab close by, it is a stretch to get the door if it has been opened wide. A larger complaint is, of course, the slow NAV system that I know is much improved in you late-to-the-party 2016ers! Again, great write up.
The following 4 users liked this post by fsmith:
hondamore (07-08-2016), Malibu Flyer (07-08-2016), pgeorg (07-09-2016), TampaRLX-SH (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 10:32 PM
Senior Moderator

It's been a year already?
Old 07-08-2016, 10:32 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by fsmith
...I would add two. A small nit is the loss of the RL's inside front door handles; with nothing to grab close by, it is a stretch to get the door if it has been opened wide. A larger complaint is, of course, the slow NAV system that I know is much improved in you late-to-the-party 2016ers! ...
I can reach the open door with my gorilla arms! But I did like the curved door handles on the RL more so for styling. I did not speak to the Infotainment as we discuss it here regularly. But to date, I have had no crashes, burps, resets, excessive response times or freezes. Aside from the Pandora issue I resolved (which was a Galaxy phone issue, not the car), I could only wish for jazzier screen graphics and album covers displayed. I have grown comfortable with the UI navigation even if it could be more intuitive.

I was surprised by a phone call today from one of the people responsible for getting the SH to me as documented in the beginning of this thread (saga). Knowing it was the 1 year anniversary of the car's delivery and clearly remembering my ordeal, I was impressed at the personal touch. He asked if I had any problems or issues and I staggered to reply: "Ummm,,,,I got nuttin' We both chuckled. I was asked if I had a wish list and again, caught off guard the best I could come up with was a power trunk release and some JDM features such as the rear arm rest controls. I would hope they will make it into the next model year or at least some type of MMC. I also expressed my (mild) concern with the low profile tires and reports or blow outs and potential rim damage. To which he replied : 'I remember you requesting a spare tire kit' affirming my concern. I have his number and card and was invited to call directly with any problems (not really opening the door for suggestions). I answered that I would hope I would continue to have no reason to do so. I know they read this forum (one reason I remain discreet naming people) as I was told NSX engineers learned much from the small RLX SH community. Based on the number of SH's out there (approx 550) I think our community has the highest concentration of them. Do we have an official running tally of SHs registered?

After being in Alaska for a few weeks I needed to take my SH out for a drive....just because. It continues to please me as time goes by.

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 07-08-2016 at 10:35 PM.
hondamore (07-09-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 11:27 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

It's been a year already?
Yes. Get a grip. Junior will be asking for the car keys (err, fob) soon.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:27 AM
'05 RL 300K Miles

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice

One question: Did it come with a factory rainbow sticker?
Old 07-09-2016, 10:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Yes. Get a grip. Junior will be asking for the car keys (err, fob) soon.
Noooooooooooo.......he's growing far too quickly already! I only just took him home in swaddling, and now it's only five years to his Ohio learners' permit. *head explodes*

If he's super-duper extra-good, he may learn stick on the NSX. Learning to Drive Stick in an Acura NSX, 1000mi to Go (2 of 4) - Petrolicious
Old 07-09-2016, 10:33 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Noooooooooooo.......he's growing far too quickly already! I only just took him home in swaddling, and now it's only five years to his Ohio learners' permit. *head explodes*

If he's super-duper extra-good, he may learn stick on the NSX. Learning to Drive Stick in an Acura NSX, 1000mi to Go (2 of 4) - Petrolicious
Welcome to the Old Fart Club. First symptom of oldfartdom is recognizing that time slips by. But look on the bright side.... Now you ACTUALLY fit the demographics for both the RL and RLX.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:10 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Today I was doing something I do much less these days, filling the fuel tank. It was the second time someone asked me about the LEGEND trim package for the RLX. Since it was raining I was not looking to get into a chat at the pump, so I just smiled and said 'not many people know of this car' and carried on while the guy (who appeared contemporary in age to me) gave my SH a walk around. It struck me that he knew of the RLX but was more curious about the LEGEND trim. Sometimes I feel like a member of a secret society. But then I think of what type of iconic name we would have? Acura Secret Society? Legend Owners Secret Society? Sport Hybrids Innovative Technology?
The following 3 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
neuronbob (08-08-2016), pgeorg (08-08-2016), wstr75 (08-07-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 09:43 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Add to Driving & Performance Hits: Acura Watch. I did not think I would like those semi autonomous features. Turns out I like them and use all of them. I remain attentive and in control, but again, feeling the steering correcting in my lighter grip on the wheel reminds me how sophisticated the car is. My favorite features of Acura Watch are the 360 Cam and BSM.
I wish the BSM on the driver's side was a little closer to the mirror. Compared to the passenger side monitor it wraps almost away from the mirror, facing the interior. I also wish it came on a slower speeds (like >10km/hr). A speed of 37km/hr is a little too fast for it to come on. I don't rely on them as much because of this.

I also wish the lower screen would remain bright. I've fiddled with the settings as much as I can and it won't stay bright enough to see during the daytime - it is still going darker after a 30 second or so delay once you hit the screen to activate it.

All in all, I really am enjoying this car. And I can't believe how much car this is for the money (I bought it CPO and got a fantastic deal). Not sure how many Canadian's there are here, but this is truly a rare and remarkable car...and I LOVE THAT!!!
Old 08-21-2016, 12:30 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

As I mentioned previously, my neighbor has been deployed to Afghanistan. He has asked me to check on his house and cars in his absence. I start and drive his Exploder and BMW 535i XDrive to keep them charged, tires from flats-potting and fluids circulated. I have had opportunity for a few drives in the 5 series running errands and driving roads I am familiar with as to how my SH behaves. I thought I would share my observations on the 5 series vs. the SH. The 5 series was a car on my lisy when I was looking to replace my RL, but it never made my short list.

First, and few disclaimers. First, I am writing and composing this on the fly. I will do my best not to jump around topics and offer some organization. Over the last few years I have driven a BMW and have driven 3,5, 6 & 7 series only. Both 4 & 6 cylinders in the 3 & 5 series and an 8 cylinder in the 6 coupe. The 6 coupe was the only one that appealed to me. There were times when the 5 felt like a 3 and vice versa. Obviously I did not drive, compare or get impressions from the multitude of configurations for these cars in both drive-lines and features. I am certain for any criticism I may have, there is a configuration that would satisfy. Last, it is no secret of my Acura loyalty and specifically the SH pursuit. Having shopped several alternatives to my former RL, the 5 series was in the mix, but never made it to the short list. I will not, or cannot say one car is better than the other. I intend only to share my observations and personal experience and opinion of the two. And as I am not tuned into the BMW world as I am with Acura, my take on the 5 series is much more naive.

Interior: The RLX is a larger car, wider and cabin feels cavernous. The 5 has a black interior, which tends to close in the space, but the RLX looks and feels generous in interior size. The RLX feels more like a 7 series in size and presence on the road. I found the 5 tight inside, the center console intrudes on the leg / knee room and the seat, though comfy, had a lower seating position more akin to a TL / TLX. The two primary things that jumped out to me what the interior materials. The 5 uses good quality plastics, but it felt very plastic inside and the RLX felt sporty but more luxury focused. I find the tactile feel of the RLX above the 5. Even the RLX plood looked nicer and realistic than the 5 trim. The RLX plood has a slight pearlesence that gives dimension to the grain. The 5 was flat looking (but glossy) dimension-ally and sounded like plood by tapping on it. Considering how much styling carping the RLX gives, it is much more interesting, yet will wear well over time. The 5 was German austere and not exciting to me. I have not used the i Drive much but it does have a more modern feel, sharper graphics but feature pathways have as much or more learning curve IMHO.I also did not like the turn signal and wiper stalks which return to center immediately. The turn signal seems to continue on longer and if a slight curve, it must read the steering return to center to shut off. Annoying, The windshield view on the 5 was very limited for me. Perhaps by seating position and my height, the rearview mirror / camera housing virtually blocked my view on the passenger size. The angle of the windshield seem to lower the roof and view-able real estate. I had to duck under to look for right side approaching traffic at an intersection. Here the RLX feels panoramic.

Exterior: This is mostly subjective, but I find the RLX more modern, more stately and even edgier than the 5. The 5's styling seemed 'melted' and there were no unexpected styling cues, where the RLX has an interesting line over the front wing and under the side mirror. The RLX tail has a slight spoiler formed into the trunk lid, and again the 5 melted away. The RLX is a physically larger car, at least 3 inches in length. But the RLX presence is much larger and substantial. This is where the RLX reminds me of a 7 series. This is acknowledgement where styling can project size and presence. The RLX doors are larger, open wider and required much less 'limbo' maneuvers to enter and exit the car. The trunk space of the SH is obviously smaller, yet it does not appear much smaller. I think the RLX PAWS and 5 have similar volume, but I would expect here again, the RLX to appear larger in space. Both cars are classed midsize, yet the 5 felt smaller than my RL, and the RLX feels large / full size. I have to admit, Honda really mastered size perception and proportions with the RLX. Many reviews even speak of the RLX as a full size car.

Driving: I stress this is MY opinion based on MY tastes. It is NOT based on performance metrics, just what I see and feel. YMMV. This is also where I was surprised the most. The 5 feels heavier, and much more like the RL feeling tank-like in weight and solid feel / sound closing doors. It also, like the RL had more of a weight transfer feel in the turns. The RLX, yet visually larger (also more hood visible from the driver's seat), feel lighter, more agile and in the turns, a less obvious weight transfer. I truly believe this is the magic of SHAWD and how much more engaged, refined and seamless in the SH.It really does make a larger, heavier car feel lighter, smaller and nimble over the 5. The RLX also has a pronounced lower rolling resistance feel than the 5, even when coasting and the RLX is in regen mode while coasting. I also found the RLX steering more accurate with less corrections in turns (again SHAWD promotes smooth arching turns). The 5 felt less connected, and dull. But both cars have electric steering, and for my tastes, Honda does better. The 5s brake pedal was softer and 'spongy' for my tastes. I do like the firm, loaded feel of the SH brakes. Here again, Honda did a great job blending regen and friction braking. The RLX felt stronger in braking, yet again, I do not know the metrics of stopping distances.

Suspension and Ride: A very noticeable difference is where the RLX is supremely quiet on smooth roads and more than expected noisy on coarse roads (with OEM Michelins). The 5 is overall noisier, but more consistent between road surfaces with less noticeable change in sound. The RLX sounds higher luxury until you hit coarse roads. The ride in both is good, but here again I was surprised how much more I prefer the SH. I mentioned the feel of weight transfer earlier, and body roll is low in both (the 5 probably better, feeling lower), yet the SH felt sportier. The ride felt a little muddy in the 5 - very surprising to me. I definitely know more about the road surface from the RLX and feel more connected. The 5 again felt more disconnected, yet not as luxury tuned on the smoothest roads. Where they differ most again is not as much in feel but in sound. SH quieter on good roads, but noisier on coarse roads. And in comparison to the 5, I can understand the earlier PAWS being critiques as 'brittle'. The SH is a much closer comparison. And this was another surprise. We have all commented on suspension harshness or noise, particularly in the front end. With the stereo on, I do not hear it or feel it. Bust stereo soft to off, I hear a suspension / tire 'thud' which I find common on most Honda's. The 5 has the SAME sound! I speculate that withe Honda's it may be a trait of DWS. Now that the TLX, has gone to McP struts it not only eliminates that sound, but rides smoother (IMHO). Well I see BMW has gone from McP strut type front suspension to a long / short arm config. Though not DWS perhaps this suspension characteristic is a trait of these suspension configs? Or perhaps just absent in McP type suspensions. And last of ride the 5 does feel more solid in the interior. It does not feel it will develope interior buzzes or rattles as Honda / Acuras are prone. There was not even a tick of interior components on pot hole roads, and that has been what I have learned of German builds on the hole.

Engines & Power: Obviously this is where they differ most. But both engines are Rolex refined. I like the RLX engine note more so, but likely just that it is familiar to me. The 5 has lower rpm growl transmitted to the cabin, but the RLX has a 'give it more' turbine smooth higher rpm sound. That may be my ear for Vtech over turbos. And again, no metrics to compare the speed, but in standard emode, the RLX feels faster. In Sport mode the RLX feels hyper in comparison. I have thought the SPORT button should be renamed HYPER (or WARP?). Though fast, the 5 delivered more progressively and sedately, not unlike the RL.

Transmissions: Here I have the least to say. Both cars shifted smoothly and accelerated progressively. In most situations the SH 7DCT was smoother and faster. The 5 had more obvious shift points, and again maybe auditory cues as when the 5's rpms dropped at shifts, you heard it more than the SH. Where the SH is somewhat disadvantaged is the amount of variables in power source management that, I believe, results in an occasional indecision moment of the software logic.

Summary: Obviously I am a fan of the SH. And I am not one to ever take my SH to the track. Performance and metrics at limit has no value to me as I do not possess that level of driving skill. Those differences become moot in daily driving and expectations from the 'sporty' sedan over a sports car,. Yet the SH came across as more sporty, more capable, more refined and more pleasing to me. Perhaps I just have been brainwashed that a BMW is so much more a driving experience that I expected more. Again, in my driving style and situations, the differences are not as impressionable as is the whole package of each car. The 5 sticker was just north of $75K. Does it deliver $10K more than the RLX SH? Not in my opinion. In fact remove the BMW badge and the SH feel more modern, more sophisticated, more capable (to me anyway) and more expensive. And for Germanic dies hards, I can see why Audi is growing so fast. I respect and admire BMW as a brand, as well as driving dynamics. But for my everyday car, and sum of the parts, the RLX SH was the best choice for my wallet. And if anyone were shopping the premium midsize sporty exec sedan segment, and were capable of not being influenced by brand cache. I cannot believe most people could not acknowledge the RLX SH is much more car and value than it's reputation.

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 08-21-2016 at 12:34 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
bigred123 (08-24-2016), fsmith (08-21-2016), hondamore (08-21-2016), Malibu Flyer (08-21-2016), pgeorg (08-21-2016), RLX-Sport Hybrid (08-21-2016), wstr75 (08-21-2016) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-21-2016, 02:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Thank you Tampa! I always enjoy reading your very detailed and thought out posts.
RLX-Sport Hybrid (08-21-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 03:12 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

^^^ Thanks pgeorg. As usual, please forgive my typos, incorrect spell check corrections and writing in stream of consciousness. I am a lousy self proofreader and the edit time out is too short for my one handed typing skills. I have been using voice to text apps, but have found they get me into more trouble with auto-correct.
RLX-Sport Hybrid (08-21-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 03:15 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Good post, Tampa. Although I have not driven a current 5 series, I spent a fair amount of time test driving the '13-'14 535Xi when I was questioning whether the '14 SH-AWD would ever appear to replace my '06 RL. While you have gone into much more detail than I could muster, once I got my car, I felt the same way about the comparative build quality and ride handling that you have expressed. I felt that there was little to recommend the BMW over the RLX, even without the price difference and without considering the reliability difference. The BMW was too small, less well-appointed, and - perhaps most important - was absolutely not as much fun to drive as my SH-AWD. At the time, I thought maybe I should own at least one BMW before I died and I came close with that 535Xi. After almost two years, I am totally convinced I made the right choice to wait. No comparison.
The following 6 users liked this post by fsmith:
hondamore (08-21-2016), Malibu Flyer (08-21-2016), neuronbob (08-21-2016), pgeorg (08-21-2016), RLX-Sport Hybrid (08-21-2016), TampaRLX-SH (08-21-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-22-2016, 09:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
Good review, I kind of figured the 5 series wouldn't compare well, it's an overrated overpriced status symbol. The 7 series, however, might be another story, great highway cruising car.

as for the track, these cars are way too heavy for the track, and if you did take it, your suspension, brakes and tires would make the experience less than fun.