OEM Genuine brakes or aftermarket? - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

OEM Genuine brakes or aftermarket?

 
Old 02-26-2019, 03:42 PM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Age: 32
Posts: 153
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
OEM Genuine brakes or aftermarket?

First question, can anyone confirm the minimum allowable rotor width or thickness to replace a rotor?
Now, the fun question, OEM genuine Honda Acura part? or do you have personal experience with aftermarket rotors and pads? If so, how many miles do you have on your aftermarket setup and which brand did you go with?

Car:
Type and brand of brakes (OEM Genuine Honda Acura or Aftermarket):
How many miles:
Easy or hard miles:
Review?

Thank you in advance
Sheefo2k is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 01:40 PM
  #2  
Graphite Ghost
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Here
Posts: 2,182
Thanked 383 Times in 305 Posts
centric rotors and stock pads
robpp is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 01:57 PM
  #3  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 37,341
Thanked 5,741 Times in 4,605 Posts
Autozone Max Gold or whatever they call it now. .


Lifetime replacement.

aka free brakes for life.

thoiboi is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 11:53 AM
  #4  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Age: 32
Posts: 153
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi View Post
Autozone Max Gold or whatever they call it now. .


Lifetime replacement.

aka free brakes for life.
Really? Have you had any issues with them? The lifetime warranty is nice but I would rather get something that will last and take a beating. The TSX is a fairly light weight car and it would take a lot to warp a rotor.
Sheefo2k is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 11:55 AM
  #5  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Age: 32
Posts: 153
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by robpp View Post
centric rotors and stock pads
This might not be a bad option. I had great luck with the oem rotors and pads. I just don't want to drop the money on the genuine oem rotors unless I have to.
I am also considering just a pad replacement and fluid flush for now. Safe the rotors for later. Any one know the minimum thickness to replace a rotor?
Sheefo2k is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 12:14 PM
  #6  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Age: 42
Posts: 404
Thanked 26 Times in 25 Posts
Centric rotors are not cut near the axle, there will be a big rust ring. I hate it. Might go OEM next.
TSX1012m6 is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 12:16 PM
  #7  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
horseshoez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Age: 63
Posts: 4,505
Thanked 790 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX1012m6 View Post
Centric rotors are not cut near the axle, there will be a big rust ring. I hate it. Might go OEM next.
I have no idea what you are saying; the Centric rotors I have on my TL have barely a trace of rust on them, the OEM rotors have rust all over the place.
horseshoez is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 12:19 PM
  #8  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Age: 42
Posts: 404
Thanked 26 Times in 25 Posts
I'll grab a photo. The centric rotorss surface area goes beyond just what the pad touches. The OEM rotors only have a surface area of just enough for the pad itself.
TSX1012m6 is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 12:21 PM
  #9  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
horseshoez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Age: 63
Posts: 4,505
Thanked 790 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX1012m6 View Post
I'll grab a photo. The centric rotorss surface area goes beyond just what the pad touches. The OEM rotors only have a surface area of just enough for the pad itself.
Sorry, gotta call BS on that; if anything, the pads are wrong on your car.
horseshoez is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 02:31 PM
  #10  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Age: 32
Posts: 153
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Only one way to settle this. Pictures.
Sheefo2k is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 02:40 PM
  #11  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 37,341
Thanked 5,741 Times in 4,605 Posts
Originally Posted by Sheefo2k View Post
Really? Have you had any issues with them? The lifetime warranty is nice but I would rather get something that will last and take a beating. The TSX is a fairly light weight car and it would take a lot to warp a rotor.
0 issues. If you do a search here you will see many people also have gone this route
thoiboi is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 03:28 PM
  #12  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Age: 32
Posts: 153
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi View Post


0 issues. If you do a search here you will see many people also have gone this route
Great to know. I will do more research on the autozone brakes. Did you get your pads from them as well?
Sheefo2k is offline  
Old 03-02-2019, 02:36 PM
  #13  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,442
Thanked 596 Times in 461 Posts
The factory pads have the best blend possible of low dust, long life, performance, temp resistance, initial bite, cost, etc.

So...that's an easy choice if you want.

If you choose an aftermarket pad, then figure out what you want the pad to do. To gain more of one thing means compromising on other aspects. Example: Want more performance than OEM? Its possible if you can accept more dust and lower life span.

That kind of thing.

The only reason to deviate from OEM is if you want more OR less of some aspect.

If you're not looking for something in particular, just buy the factory pads.

Any blank rotor with a rust barrier is a fine choice, though. Factory, aftermarket, "performance", whatever you want...it pretty much works the same.
BROlando is offline  
Old 03-02-2019, 06:25 PM
  #14  
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Age: 20
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no need for drilled or slotted rotors. They are just for looks anyways.
General Vodka is offline  
Old 03-05-2019, 03:54 PM
  #15  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Age: 32
Posts: 153
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by BROlando View Post
The factory pads have the best blend possible of low dust, long life, performance, temp resistance, initial bite, cost, etc.

So...that's an easy choice if you want.

If you choose an aftermarket pad, then figure out what you want the pad to do. To gain more of one thing means compromising on other aspects. Example: Want more performance than OEM? Its possible if you can accept more dust and lower life span.

That kind of thing.

The only reason to deviate from OEM is if you want more OR less of some aspect.

If you're not looking for something in particular, just buy the factory pads.

Any blank rotor with a rust barrier is a fine choice, though. Factory, aftermarket, "performance", whatever you want...it pretty much works the same.
Do you have any information on the minimum rotor thickness before switching rotors?
Sheefo2k is offline  
Old 03-05-2019, 04:47 PM
  #16  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,442
Thanked 596 Times in 461 Posts
Originally Posted by Sheefo2k View Post
Do you have any information on the minimum rotor thickness before switching rotors?

Nope. It should be stamped on the rotor.

Not something I pay much attention to. For many reasons, I use new rotors with every pad change.

They're cheap. Pads need to mate to the rotor...and this is MUCH easier with a fresh surface, etc.
BROlando is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to BROlando For This Useful Post:
horseshoez (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 06:06 PM
  #17  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
horseshoez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Age: 63
Posts: 4,505
Thanked 790 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by BROlando View Post
Nope. It should be stamped on the rotor.

Not something I pay much attention to. For many reasons, I use new rotors with every pad change.

They're cheap. Pads need to mate to the rotor...and this is MUCH easier with a fresh surface, etc.
^This! 'Nuff said.
horseshoez is offline  
Old 03-05-2019, 06:08 PM
  #18  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 37,341
Thanked 5,741 Times in 4,605 Posts
agreed
thoiboi is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
raheel616
1G TSX Tires, Wheels, & Suspension
19
11-06-2018 07:43 PM
George M. Rankin
Car Parts for Sale
4
11-21-2012 07:27 PM
FZ427
1G TSX Problems & Fixes
8
11-06-2007 10:13 AM
cmschmie
1G TSX Performance Parts & Modifications
17
06-11-2006 09:16 PM
NJtsx
1G TSX Problems & Fixes
39
01-27-2005 09:52 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OEM Genuine brakes or aftermarket?


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.