Brakes Brakes Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 06:57 AM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
Brakes Brakes Brakes

Recently purchased an '06 TSX and am lovin' it. The brakes are working good thus far (only have 1700 miles on it) but I've heard that aftermarket rotors and/or pads are the way to go.

Any recommendations on what path to take? I've heard the the Hawk pads are pretty darn good so I will look at those, but rotors are another story.
I've heard Powerslot, Rotora are pretty good, but would you recommend slotted, drilled or slotted & drilled? I think I'd probably just put these on the front, then put the stock fronts in the rear. (Rear brakes are a solid rotor)

Also, is there such a think as caliper paint? I think red or yellow would look sweet with the carbon gray,

Craig
Old 05-05-2006, 07:08 AM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ran a search on this last night, on account that im looking to upgrade as well. If you check the sponsered sales section, excelerate is selling rotors rotors at what seems a good price.

This thread though will probably answer your questions.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=rotors
Old 05-05-2006, 08:40 AM
Burning Brakes

You cannot put your front rotor on the back. It won't fit. I almost order the powerslut rotor too but my local mechanics told me that the powerslut rotor is as easy wrap as the oem one. The Canadian distributor already dropped the line because they got too many warranty claim.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by cmschmie
Recently purchased an '06 TSX and am lovin' it. The brakes are working good thus far (only have 1700 miles on it) but I've heard that aftermarket rotors and/or pads are the way to go.

Any recommendations on what path to take? I've heard the the Hawk pads are pretty darn good so I will look at those, but rotors are another story.
I've heard Powerslot, Rotora are pretty good, but would you recommend slotted, drilled or slotted & drilled? I think I'd probably just put these on the front, then put the stock fronts in the rear. (Rear brakes are a solid rotor)

Also, is there such a think as caliper paint? I think red or yellow would look sweet with the carbon gray,

Craig
Red calipers would look hawt! I have a SSM and will probably go with blue.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:56 AM
Synaesthesia sounds sweet

I went with RacingBrake UP fronts, Powerslut rears, and Hawk HPS pads all around. I also upgraded to Goodridge SS lines but that may just be overkill. This setup is far far superior to what comes stock.

Personally I'd suggest slotted rather than x-drilled. The difference has been debated to the hilt and can be found through a few searches.

Don't forget to upgrade your tires too. That makes a significant difference. I bought the Goodyes Eagle F1 GS-D3
Old 05-05-2006, 09:08 AM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
Oh yeah...tires and wheels will be my first upgrade. Looking at 5 spoke wheels, I just like those the best (would consider 7 if price and style are right).

For tires, I think I'm going to go with a high (ultra-high) performance all season tire. I'm liking the Avon and Yokos that I've seen. They are priced right and have had a lot of good reviews at TireRack
Old 05-05-2006, 09:49 AM
Pro

I wouldn't depend on a Powerslut. You think you might have something special going on and then, gone... They go off with whatever new car comes along.

P.S. - I you do go with a Powerslut it's a good idea to get new rubber.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Drives With Hands

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Schizm
I went with RacingBrake UP fronts, Powerslut rears, and Hawk HPS pads all around. I also upgraded to Goodridge SS lines but that may just be overkill. This setup is far far superior to what comes stock.

Personally I'd suggest slotted rather than x-drilled. The difference has been debated to the hilt and can be found through a few searches.

Don't forget to upgrade your tires too. That makes a significant difference. I bought the Goodyes Eagle F1 GS-D3
Listen to this gentleman. I've done the exact same thing and it has made driving the car so much more fun.

One word about the SS lines: they are probably the best upgrade you can do to increase the responsiveness and consistency of any braking system. The pedal will feel more rigid, and when the calipers begin to engage the pads against the rotor surface, you will no longer feel that mushy effect (as though there's a pillow between the caliper and pad). If I had to choose only one upgrade to perform, it would definitely be SS lines.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by rmpage
Listen to this gentleman. I've done the exact same thing and it has made driving the car so much more fun.

One word about the SS lines: they are probably the best upgrade you can do to increase the responsiveness and consistency of any braking system. The pedal will feel more rigid, and when the calipers begin to engage the pads against the rotor surface, you will no longer feel that mushy effect (as though there's a pillow between the caliper and pad). If I had to choose only one upgrade to perform, it would definitely be SS lines.

I second the point about upgrading the brakes with one caveat; you might want to upgrade the rear sway bar first, it's cheaper to do.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:10 PM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Project Mu rotors/pads/brake lines you will love them
Old 05-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Instructor

Hawk Pads HPS + SS Goddrich lines + Racing Brake rotors =

If you want to save some money I wouldn't even get new rear rotors. They don't handle near as much of the braking of the car as do the fronts.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:10 PM
A DiRTBAG decal on my

Originally Posted by gvtsx
Hawk Pads HPS + SS Goddrich lines + Racing Brake rotors =

If you want to save some money I wouldn't even get new rear rotors. They don't handle near as much of the braking of the car as do the fronts.

Have you installed the lines yet?
Old 05-05-2006, 03:25 PM
Faster, please.

I had the powersluts installed at all 4 corners about 2 weeks ago, along with Axxis Ultimate pads. I ordered goodridge lines but they haven't come in yet. So far I like the setup. Stopping feels more solid now.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:51 PM
Instructor

Last weekend I installed SNYPER Performance drilled and slotted rotors front and rear with Snypers carbon-kevlar metallic composite competion pads all around. So far they feel amazing compared to the oem shit but I've also been real careful to follow their instructions for break-in.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TSX2345
Have you installed the lines yet?
Yeah, did it myself. Brakes feel excellent! Marcus at Mr.Heeltoe hooked me up with the rotors and pads.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Synaesthesia sounds sweet

Originally Posted by rmpage
I re-bled my lines & some small bubbles were still present. The pedal stiffined up much more.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:43 PM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
finally had the opportunity to replace my front rotors and pads all around,

brembo blanks with hawk hps pads up front and so generic ceramic pads for the rear..with the help of a friend and his tools install was straightforward....

haven't had much ride time to see how well this setup performs...
Old 06-11-2006, 09:16 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by daddydliv
I had the powersluts installed at all 4 corners about 2 weeks ago, along with Axxis Ultimate pads. I ordered goodridge lines but they haven't come in yet. So far I like the setup. Stopping feels more solid now.
Been reading all the threads about brakes. You're one guy who's put in aftermarket discs/ pads, and yet to do the SS lines. Did you get the lines put in, and, did they make a further improvement over the aftermarket disc/pads?

Another thread was bickering about how the lines won't make any difference. Personally, I've seen some pretty impressive changes with just lines, but not on a TSX, so I wanted to hear what you had to say.
thx.