brakes brakes brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 06:20 PM
Automobile Aficionado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brakes brakes brakes

suck suck suck

please someone give me some suggestions on improving them.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:33 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
changing pads will give you the most bang for least bucks.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:37 PM
Instructor

1st mine squeeked

then they grinded

now they shake (warped)

thinking bout changing to powerslot rotors and hawk pads.

any fellow jersey tsx'rs wanna get a brake install meet? haha
Old 02-18-2004, 10:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Get better TIRES.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:03 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I'm beggining to think mine have warped as well. There's alot of shake (vibration) as soon as the pedal's depressed or when braking hard from higher speeds. I'll mention it to the dealer this weekend.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:24 PM
Photography Nerd

Domn, here's an interesting article about "warped" brakes by someone who knows a lot about brakes: http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm
Old 02-18-2004, 01:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Dan Martin
....an interesting article about "warped" brakes...
One thing I don't get about that article: Wouldn't figure 3 constitute a warped rotor?
Old 02-18-2004, 01:34 PM
Photography Nerd

I think they are trying to show a dented rotor where the face has collapsed around the internal structure. To me, the word "warped" means that the whole rotor is bent from one end to the other.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:44 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Thanks for the link Dan. So any of those things could be causing this vibration. Either way its something I have to have looked at.

I wonder if the road surface has anything to do with what I'm feeling. The problem is always more noticeable on a certain strech of road that I use daily which I'm always braking to a stop from 100km. Rarely do I feel the same problem on other roads, although it does happen. Could the road be responsible in any way for causing brake vibration?
Old 02-18-2004, 02:49 PM
Instructor

I'd love to have the Brembos that are on the TLs !
Perhaps that would work on our TSX's ?? With a larger wheel of course....
Old 02-18-2004, 02:54 PM
Intermediate

Does anyone know if Ceremic pads are available . I've heard that they are more expensive, but offer exellent fade resistance.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:13 PM
Photography Nerd

Originally posted by dcrc
Does anyone know if Ceremic pads are available . I've heard that they are more expensive, but offer exellent fade resistance.
I think you're thinking of Ceramic rotors not pads. And sure they're available if you've got an extra $15,000 in your pocket!
Old 02-18-2004, 03:41 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
Get better TIRES.
YES YES YES. All the upgrades in the world aren't going to make their full advantage felt unless you have better rubber.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:51 PM
Intermediate

Mr. Martin ..

They are actually making Ceramic pads. no break dust, virtually little to no fade. Normally cost about double of a premium metallic pad from what I've learen

Found this by doing a search for Ceramic brake pads.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/...rake_pads.html
Old 02-18-2004, 06:04 PM
Photography Nerd

Originally posted by dcrc
Mr. Martin ..

They are actually making Ceramic pads. no break dust, virtually little to no fade. Normally cost about double of a premium metallic pad from what I've learen

Found this by doing a search for Ceramic brake pads.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/...rake_pads.html
Cool, I didn't know that! Thanks.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:43 PM
Intermediate

Come on Dudes!...You guys are driving brandy new cars and are already talking about changing brakes due to warping,grinding etc. I was so close to trading in my RSX type S for a TSX but I'm so glad that I found this site. As much as I love Acuras I just have to wait till they get some better press on this page. All the car magazines rave about this car but in the end it's the owners who drive it day in and day out who know the true story on a cars quality. In a way I'm sorry I found this site too because I was so set on owning one of those beauty's.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:46 PM
Photography Nerd

Originally posted by Johnny
Come on Dudes!...You guys are driving brandy new cars and are already talking about changing brakes due to warping,grinding etc. I was so close to trading in my RSX type S for a TSX but I'm so glad that I found this site. As much as I love Acuras I just have to wait till they get some better press on this page. All the car magazines rave about this car but in the end it's the owners who drive it day in and day out who know the true story on a cars quality. In a way I'm sorry I found this site too because I was so set on owning one of those beauty's.
That's right I would buy a Focus if I were you..... :P

People here overreact a lot when it comes to issues with their cars. You'll find that this is an enthusiast site so people are more picky than most.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:50 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

people post on forums to complain. no one needs help to enjoy their car, everyone wants sympathy when something bad happens.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:28 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

buy a KIA and supercharge that muthfu$$A!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2004, 02:37 PM
Instructor

People like to vent on sites like these. Just how many percent of all the TSX owners bother to post here? The complaints you hear does not necessarily reflect the overall quality of the TSX. You can expect first year models to have few problems that are eventually corrected.

Happy owners have better sense than to spend time whining about their car; they get out and drive!

Afterall, you have warranty to take care of any problem that may arise.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:43 PM
Instructor

just to take counterpoint here.

my car is 10 months old, i have 21K miles, no problems with brakes. no warping, no vibration. some of us are perfectly happy with our brakes.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:33 AM
Photography Nerd

I think most are happy with their brakes.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:29 PM
Instructor

I thought the brakes were a little weak and put in EBC
pads from Tire Rack.

Brakes are more than excellent now.

I don't want brakes to last 100k, I want best stopping.
I don't care if I only get 40k out of them. Acura has to
put in long life pads in mass market vehicle.
I would never buy a lifetime pad for example, of course
I want stopping which is opposite properties of long life.

I have no vibrations.

I had another car with warped rotors right away but
Nissan said out of 90 day warranty. I had them turned
for $12 then no problems now for 65k miles.

It's really a common problem. It's new metal and can change
with heat and stress cycles. It will happen with some
statistical frequency that you will get one that changes. After turned they are permanently good. It's not a big deal.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:59 PM
jgs

Brakes

I know I'm late responding to this complaint, but I'm taking my TSX to my Acura dealer for the third time in 14K miles to have the brakes inspected. They squeak when coming to a stop from a slow speed. The rotors have already been resurfaced TWICE in the last 5 months!! I don't drive the car hard - however, I do live in the hills in South. Cal. so I'm sure that's contributed to some of the wear on the brakes. Even so, this doesn't sound normal to have so many problems with the brakes in such a short period of time.

Other than this issue, my TSX has been an absolute pleasure to own and drive.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:56 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Re: Brakes

Originally posted by jsalaita
I know I'm late responding to this complaint, but I'm taking my TSX to my Acura dealer for the third time in 14K miles to have the brakes inspected. They squeak when coming to a stop from a slow speed. The rotors have already been resurfaced TWICE in the last 5 months!! I don't drive the car hard - however, I do live in the hills in South. Cal. so I'm sure that's contributed to some of the wear on the brakes. Even so, this doesn't sound normal to have so many problems with the brakes in such a short period of time.

Other than this issue, my TSX has been an absolute pleasure to own and drive.
I too have noticed a squeaking problem, but for me, it seems to go away with a little bit of driving. One problem, since you say you live in the hills, could be how you're using the brakes on the hills, especially on the way down. If you're riding your brakes, you most likely are glazing the pads. This can lead to decreased braking performance as well as squeaking.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:02 PM
10th Gear

Re: brakes

What I notice is that if I hit the brakes hard-ish at a speed above 35 mph and I go over a bumpy patch on the road while I'm braking, my brakes start vibrating loudly. I figure this is the anti-lock system adjusting, but next time I take in the car to the dealership for an oil change I'll mention this to them. Don't know if others have the same thing.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:43 PM
Banned

TSX brakes suck. worse than the Accord.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Registered AssHat

Re: Re: brakes

Originally posted by Dmitri
What I notice is that if I hit the brakes hard-ish at a speed above 35 mph and I go over a bumpy patch on the road while I'm braking, my brakes start vibrating loudly. I figure this is the anti-lock system adjusting, but next time I take in the car to the dealership for an oil change I'll mention this to them. Don't know if others have the same thing.
It is the ABS. The ABS threshold is a bit high. Since you go over a sharp bump, the tires spin a bit. The ABS senses this and starts correcting.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:42 PM
10th Gear

Thanks Lung. I didn't have problems slowing down so I figured it had to be the ABS kicking in.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:02 AM
10th Gear

Hi guys - I'm totally new to all this, but I had the same problem with brakes. I especially notice the heavy vibration slowing down over bumps or with braking in snowy weather. About once a month, I get a heavy clunk when I put on the brakes, as if I hit something in the road. I brought it in, and they said it was the ABS, and that they were fine. They don't feel like any other ABS brakes I've driven, including their loaner car. Since I had more important issues regarding my driver's seat shifting and the casing breaking apart, I haven't followed up on it. Should I let it go? It sounds like an inherent thing going on with TSX brakes. The Service guys can't stand seeing the sight of my Milano Red TSX coming into the lot!
Old 03-10-2004, 07:31 PM
10th Gear

I'd hate to give wrong advice to you Katya, but so many people have called your clunking noises (and mine) the ABS system, I'm inclined to believe it, even though the same thing might not happen with other cars' ABS systems. Just my two cents'.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:10 PM
Instructor

Klunk I don't recall, I get the ABS vibration occasionally,
like going over bumb while breaking. The low ridges when
going from a road to a drive way will set it off because
I have brakes on and am turning. Occasionally I have
caught a sight of the VSA light flashing at these times.

If you have a place this always happens, try turning of VSA
and see if it doesn't happen.

The Klunk I don't know. I had noise from my brakes at a certain
cold temperature. In the afternoon of some cold days the
noise might not occur and then again at night and morning
temps. I'm not concerned about that.

Since it has warmed up here it hasn't happened in weeks.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:59 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I had this happen for the first time going over a bump in a parking lot as I was slowing down for it. Definately felt like ABS to me, only did it for half a second.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:28 PM
Ayumi Hamasaki

Heh, I live in Anchorage, AK so I know how the ABS feels and the VSA. The VSA kicks in a lot, and it helps too. The ABS really hasn't kicked in to much because of the cars braking power and I dun stop at the last minute. The ABS is a grinding sound and I hate it. I hate ABS on all cars and I prefer to pump the brakes instead of hearing that grinding sound that doesn't even help, you usually just keep on sliding.

I just bought my TSX used with 8200 miles on it and It has 10,000 miles on it now. The brakes squeak a little bit, but other than that, there great. Gotta love the rotors all around, no drums =). I'll get the squaking and alignment checked when I go in for my first oil change in April.

And about the post earlier, the one where your glad that you waited to not trade in your RSX for a TSX. Man this car rocks, it doesn't even feel like a 4 banger. It's smooth, quit, luxury, and sporty. It's an awesome car and I would take it over an IS300, Mercedez C230 sedan, or the WRX anyday. Only other car that would change my mind would be the Audi A4. Depends on your taste, some prefer the powerful WRX, but I prefer the luxury, especially after driving my dads 2001 Mercedez S500 last summer

l8ers
Wess
Old 01-14-2005, 06:50 PM
10th Gear

brakes

Everything about this car is awsome except for the brakes. After reading this forum i am wanting to change to some aftermarket parts but at the same time I feel that if I paid $26,000 for a new car they should fix it. I had to have the rotors machined at 4000 miles and now at 8500 miles they are screwed up again. What to do what to do.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:58 PM
10th Gear

Hey Guys,

I just took my 2004 back for 24 K service and I had brake vibration at around 70 k/h. By the end of the service the Service Rep. told me there is a Bulletin out for brake pads replacement and servicing all rotors. It is not recall but if you don't complaint and they will not replace the pads for you.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:36 PM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vitus
Hey Guys,

I just took my 2004 back for 24 K service and I had brake vibration at around 70 k/h. By the end of the service the Service Rep. told me there is a Bulletin out for brake pads replacement and servicing all rotors. It is not recall but if you don't complaint and they will not replace the pads for you.
hey vitus,

by any chance did the dealer give you a TSB number associated with the Bulletin?
Old 01-18-2005, 08:22 PM
10th Gear

Hey jmathew34,

No they did not give me the TSB number. This is on my invoice " 410820 Resurfaced both front brake rotors and updated pads. 1 , 45022-SEA-J11 set pad front "
"411842 Rear brake rotors- Resurface both " . " Replaced front brake pads as per Bulletin ."
Old 01-22-2005, 04:00 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
One thing to keep in mind guys. Especially after the stealer has rotated the tores or something like that. Most dealers that ih ave ever been to will tighten the lug nuts back on with their "air wrench" in the shop. Those things have NO limitations on torque. Those things will overtorque your lugs like crazy. I believe you're supposed to only torque your lugs to just over 80 lbs. You are supposed to use a torque wrench to tighten the lugs. The more reputable shops will do that. You can use an air wrench to loosen all the lugs you want to. But NEVER take an air wrench to tighten a lugnight. The overtightening WILL cause rotor warping no matter what type of rotors you have.
If the dealer refuses to use a torque wrench. Go home and retorque the lugs with a torque wrench when they are done with it.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:52 PM
10th Gear

Brake vibration

So I had some brake vibration at 4000 and the dealer resurfaced all 4 rotors and 4000 miles later it came back. Turns out it was just the rears which the dealers replaced. So if you have brake vibration try driving and pulling the emergency brake and if you feel a vibration, take it in for some new rotors. Hope this helps